F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Turbo upgrade time. DIY swap help
GetBMWParts

12-18-2023, 10:55 PM   #1
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 440i Odin Tuned DAW turbo

Turbo upgrade time. DIY swap help

Just took delivery of my Dynamic Autowerx V2.5+ GEN 1 B58 FLOW MAX. Got the installation kit and the turbo additive so should be set. I have a dorch s25 to install and get running before I start the turbo install too.

It's not a daily so I can take my time but I'm slightly hesitant to do the job myself because it's the most complex project I'll have done on my f36.

Seeing from people who've swapped out their turbos what pitfalls and problems I might encounter.

Any bolts a real problem to get to or easy to shear off.

Any fluid hoses that are difficult to properly seat?

Any stuff you would have done differently?

Share your first hand tips and snags and put my mind at ease please!!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 07:13 AM   #2
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

The lines can be kinda hard to pry out, and a ton of coolant will come out. Like way more than you'd think, gallons. That line is how to drain the block now, there's no longer a drain plug. The factory manual uses a special tool to hold the exhaust manifold together and avoid damage to the flex points in the manifold. I guess just be careful with the manifold and try not to have it flex. Hold it by the center scroll not the manifold fingers.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 09:20 AM   #3
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 parts View Post
The lines can be kinda hard to pry out, and a ton of coolant will come out. Like way more than you'd think, gallons. That line is how to drain the block now, there's no longer a drain plug. The factory manual uses a special tool to hold the exhaust manifold together and avoid damage to the flex points in the manifold. I guess just be careful with the manifold and try not to have it flex. Hold it by the center scroll not the manifold fingers.
Good info thanks. I'll factor a full coolant change and oil change.

Checked my plugs last night and they are good still
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 03:58 PM   #4
E90ROXS
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Kern417 on youtube has a diy vid. Just get these silicon plugs from Amazon and plug the oil and coolant ports on the block to prevent it from draining.
https://www.amazon.com/High-Temp-Sil...s%2C158&sr=8-3
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 05:48 PM   #5
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ROXS View Post
Kern417 on youtube has a diy vid. Just get these silicon plugs from Amazon and plug the oil and coolant ports on the block to prevent it from draining.
https://www.amazon.com/High-Temp-Sil...s%2C158&sr=8-3
Glad I asked the question now. Fantastic tip!.appreciate the reply!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 07:22 PM   #6
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Ds25 came in. It's go time.

Now I just need a tuner for a basemap.

Hmmm
Attached Images

Last edited by B58 _gran_coupe_; 12-20-2023 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 07:39 PM   #7
BryanB58
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 _gran_coupe_ View Post
Just took delivery of my Dynamic Autowerx V2.5+ GEN 1 B58 FLOW MAX. Got the installation kit and the turbo additive so should be set. I have a dorch s25 to install and get running before I start the turbo install too.

It's not a daily so I can take my time but I'm slightly hesitant to do the job myself because it's the most complex project I'll have done on my f36.

Seeing from people who've swapped out their turbos what pitfalls and problems I might encounter.

Any bolts a real problem to get to or easy to shear off.

Any fluid hoses that are difficult to properly seat?

Any stuff you would have done differently?

Share your first hand tips and snags and put my mind at ease please!!
I would remove all coolant lines and oil lines with the turbo and install with all lines attached; I watched kerns video show him detach the coolant line from the hose underneath the turbo above the oil return line for the turbo. Reason being it was an absolute pita to get the top coolant line to seat properly into the turbo, align with the second line and bolt it down had me stressing
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2023, 07:55 PM   #8
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanB58 View Post
I would remove all coolant lines and oil lines with the turbo and install with all lines attached; I watched kerns video show him detach the coolant line from the hose underneath the turbo above the oil return line for the turbo. Reason being it was an absolute pita to get the top coolant line to seat properly into the turbo, align with the second line and bolt it down had me stressing
That makes sense. Thanks. I can refresh all of the orings on the bench then put the turbo back with lines attached. That makes a lot of sense!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 01:54 AM   #9
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

I've been chipping away at this. 20 minutes here and there. Been waiting for some heat wrap for my downpipe but it should be here tomorrow so I'll get it monted and fired up.

I have used the liqui moly additive in the pil port on the turbo.

Is this in place of dry priming the engine (pulling injector connectors and cranking) or in addition to priming?

I have drained the engine oil and will refill when the lines are connected.

Trying to avoid any damage before I get going
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 12:29 PM   #10
nosam1g
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

almost there , get your tuner ready to flash a base map ^^ .. you can run on ots , but i wouldnt be flooring it everywhere lol .. i would go for a nice 50 miles drive to break in turbo
2018 340i - MHD CUSTOM TUNE, PURE850, DORCH STG2.5,MHD-FLEX-FUEL, M-PERF LSD, XHP Stg 2, CSF Heat Exchanger, M-Perf EXHAUST Mid Pipe BACK, Ross Racing Oil Catch Can, Evo Race Work Downpipe, PURE Inlet, DINAN Intake, VRSF Chargepipe
2011 335is - SOLD

Last edited by nosam1g; 12-30-2023 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2023, 12:38 PM   #11
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Toyota Supra

Quote:
I've been chipping away at this. 20 minutes here and there. Been waiting for some heat wrap for my downpipe but it should be here tomorrow so I'll get it monted and fired up.

I have used the liqui moly additive in the pil port on the turbo.

Is this in place of dry priming the engine (pulling injector connectors and cranking) or in addition to priming?

I have drained the engine oil and will refill when the lines are connected.

Trying to avoid any damage before I get going
Its in place of pulling injector connectors and cranking. The additive is there to make sure there is oil when you start it. If you didn't have the additive then you would want to do what you said and prime by cranking without fueling.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2023, 03:33 PM   #12
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrxToBeamerGuy View Post
Its in place of pulling injector connectors and cranking. The additive is there to make sure there is oil when you start it. If you didn't have the additive then you would want to do what you said and prime by cranking without fueling.
Thankyou for the reply. I'd hate to score the bearings at this point.

I squirted the whole bottle of additive into the oil port and it found its way down through the oil drain. Turned the blades by hand. Feel like it was coated ok.

Managed to get it in without removing the downpipe or the long coolant line that goes behind the block. The downpipe in place gave a nice reference that it was correctly positioned. Recommended.

She's in and torqued in sequence. Managed to wrap the downpipe too.

Only a small amount of blood lost. Did you even work on a bmw if you didnt bleed?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-30-2023, 03:43 PM   #13
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Toyota Supra

Quote:
Thankyou for the reply. I'd hate to score the bearings at this point.

I squirted the whole bottle of additive into the oil port and it found its way down through the oil drain. Turned the blades by hand. Feel like it was coated ok.

Managed to get it in without removing the downpipe or the long coolant line that goes behind the block. The downpipe in place gave a nice reference that it was correctly positioned. Recommended.

She's in and torqued in sequence. Managed to wrap the downpipe too.

Only a small amount of blood lost. Did you even work on a bmw if you didnt bleed?
Nice job! Remember that blanket will start smoking and smelling until its burnt off all of the oils. Same with the turbo so dont panic.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2023, 11:07 PM   #14
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Will prime the turbo and bleed coolant in the morning and then fire her up and check for leaks. All being well the heatshields and undertray can go back.

Stage 2+ flex at the moment but David Shoup will be handling the tune. I'll send the dme backup file then flash his basemap.

Exciting times but I'm glad the swap is done. Was pretty frustrating at times.

Maybe look at injectors and a diff next but I'll see how this feels.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
_ObiJon306.50
      01-10-2024, 07:39 PM   #15
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quick update. I've been working with David Shoup and we've been feeling our way in to make sure everything is happy. So far so good. The turbo really wants to boost. Not turned up the heat yet but she's making about 26lb so far peak and very clean and linear. Hoping we can wrap this up by bimmerinvasion in February.
Appreciate 3