F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Help with no GPS signal in newly bought F30 which has a retrofitted NBT EVO ID5
GetBMWParts

01-28-2024, 02:06 PM   #1
Pauliuslau
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i

Help with no GPS signal in newly bought F30 which has a retrofitted NBT EVO ID5

Hello, I have bought a 2016 340i F30 LCI model, which has a retrofitted NBT EVO ID5.

The problem is, the navigation has no GPS signal (just shows the location somewhere in the ocean near Ireland, while I am in eastern Europe) and I am trying to investigate why is that.

I have made some research about the NBT EVO head units and found out that some of the head units use a GPS antenna connected in to a blue connector in the head unit and some only use the connection to the ATM module.

Is there any way to figure out which connection do I need for my NBT head unit before ripping the HU out?

Also, is there a way to figure out if I even have ATM module installed into my car before I rip out the internal headliner of the car?
Update: I have no ATM unit, only TCB.

Also, the car has working Apple Carplay.

Update: Now my main questions are:
  • Maybe my NBT EVO HU2 can have an integrated GPS signal receiver? Heard something about those existing
  • If I replaced my TBC unit with ATM unit, maybe then I could receive the GPS signal? If yes, does it need to be coded? I only need the GPS signal no other bmw connected drive functionality.

I am able to code with Esys pro

My NBT version shown on screen is:
View post on imgur.com

Last edited by Pauliuslau; 02-02-2024 at 03:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 11:53 PM   #2
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

If you truly have a 2016 vehicle, you should have an ATM.

A professional coder should be able to change the coding which tells the HU to look for the GPS Signal on the OABR plug via the ATM instead of the blue Fakra behind the dash.

If a GPS plug to the ATM isn’t there, you might need to run a 5 meter GPS Fakra extension from behind the dash to the ATM in the rear, but every 2016 already had the GPS wired to the ATM in the USA, afaik. Even the NBT-EVO HW 1.x units in the 2015 M235 models had the GPS wired to the ATM.

Contact kubax86 to help you out with the coding as he’s almost a local to you.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 06:39 AM   #3
Pauliuslau
Lithuania
Rep

So I have inspected my car further and I have found out that my car has a TCB module instead of ATM.

I read the Navigation codes with E-sys and they are as follows:

GPS_FROM_NAVI --> aktiv
SYSTEM_RECEIVER_GPS --> nicht_aktiv
TELEMATIC_ECU --> tcb

Do I need an ATM module in order for GPS signal to work?
Would I need to code it? I only want the GPS signal, no other SIM card related services.

This is my TCB module:
View post on imgur.com

Last edited by Pauliuslau; 02-02-2024 at 03:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 11:57 AM   #4
BeamerAR15
Private
Rep
Drives: F23, 2.20i M-sport

If i’m not misstaken, you need a ATM for a ID5
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 06:20 PM   #5
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliuslau View Post
So I have inspected my car further and I have found out that my car has a TCB module instead of ATM.

I read the Navigation codes with E-sys and they are as follows:

GPS_FROM_NAVI —> aktiv
SYSTEM_RECEIVER_GPS —> nicht_aktiv
TELEMATIC_ECU —> tcb

Do I need an ATM module in order for GPS signal to work?
Would I need to code it? I only want the GPS signal, no other SIM card related services.

Would swapping TCB for ATM somehow disable my Apple Carplay functionality?

This is my TCB module:
View post on imgur.com
Yes that’s clearly an TCB unit. Can you attach a pic of the plate from the driver’s side door showing build date and not with Imgur. A 2016 F30 340i LCI should have also moved the ATM to the roof and have the ATM. Regardless, no ATM complicates things and adds to costs significantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerAR15 View Post
If i’m not misstaken, you need a ATM for a ID5
No ATM is needed for ID5 unless you wish to use GPS and Connected Drive Features. Otherwise a workaround is needed if you want to use these options.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 02:13 AM   #6
Pauliuslau
Lithuania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
Yes that’s clearly an TCB unit. Can you attach a pic of the plate from the driver’s side door showing build date and not with Imgur. A 2016 F30 340i LCI should have also moved the ATM to the roof and have the ATM. Regardless, no ATM complicates things and adds to costs significantly.

No ATM is needed for ID5 unless you wish to use GPS and Connected Drive Features. Otherwise a workaround is needed if you want to use these options.
My car production date is 2015/09

What if I need only GPS and no Connected drive. Do I must have the ATM for GPS and there are no workarounds?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 06:13 PM   #7
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My car production date is 2015/09

What if I need only GPS and no Connected drive. Do I must have the ATM for GPS and there are no workarounds?
Workarounds devices but still probably $400-$500 unless you can find someone in Europe to add a GPS Port and chip into your ID5 HU and then code your unit accordingly. People do it cheaper in EU than in USA which is your only saving option, but they must have the HU in their possession.

I am aware of someone working on a much easier/cheaper retrofit as apart of replacing to TCB devices, but it’s a hobby that they are working on at their leisure.

On another note, thank you for the production date. It sounds as if the EU cars must have gotten the ATMs in the F30 later than the USA cars, which is strange, because EU Cars used to be about 6 months prior to USA in the HU/TCU systems.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 02:45 AM   #8
Pauliuslau
Lithuania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
Workarounds devices but still probably $400-$500 unless you can find someone in Europe to add a GPS Port and chip into your ID5 HU and then code your unit accordingly. People do it cheaper in EU than in USA which is your only saving option, but they must have the HU in their possession.

I am aware of someone working on a much easier/cheaper retrofit as apart of replacing to TCB devices, but it’s a hobby that they are working on at their leisure.

On another note, thank you for the production date. It sounds as if the EU cars must have gotten the ATMs in the F30 later than the USA cars, which is strange, because EU Cars used to be about 6 months prior to USA in the HU/TCU systems.
NBT EVO ID5/6 has no internal GPS signal? If it does, I could code it with esys.
What about replacing the TCB with ATM? Would that work for GPS signal only?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 06:42 PM   #9
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
NBT EVO ID5/6 has no internal GPS signal? If it does, I could code it with esys.
What about replacing the TCB with ATM? Would that work for GPS signal only?
It receives the GPS info via Ethernet from the ATM on the OABR.

Prior to NBT EVO HW 3.x, the GPS was wired directly to the HU, even though ATM equipped vehicles were run to the ATM as well. Running only to the ATM in the trunk/roof keep an additional coax cable from needing to be run to the dash.
Appreciate 0