F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > PCV Diaphragm and Cap Replacement
proTUNING Freaks

02-17-2024, 01:40 PM   #1
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

PCV Diaphragm and Cap Replacement

Decided to tackle the PCV diaphragm and cap replacement today. My car has approximately 58K miles on it. I didn’t really have any issues that would point to the diaphragm and cap, maybe a little more smoke from the exhaust than I would like. I did this more for maintenance and I’m glad I did. Once I removed the cap I immediately noticed tears in the diaphragm. When removing it, it completely tore off and disintegrated in my hands. I replaced it with the kit from BimmerNetwork. Fit of the diaphragm and cap were pefect. I put a thin bead of gasket maker around the inside of the cap perimeter for good measure. For those thinking of doing this, just do it.
Attached Images

02-21-2024, 10:53 AM   #2
daveyfx
Private
Rep

Need to do this as well. I'm at almost 100k miles and suspect mine needs replaced.

The only indicator was I left my car idling with the heat on, for my dog to be comfortable. As soon as I left the parking spot, smoke billowed out everywhere, startling some coffee shop employees. There was also a faint high-pitched whistling noise, probably from the torn diaphragm.

After a minute of driving around, the smoke cleared up.
      02-21-2024, 11:29 AM   #3
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyfx View Post
Need to do this as well. I'm at almost 100k miles and suspect mine needs replaced.

The only indicator was I left my car idling with the heat on, for my dog to be comfortable. As soon as I left the parking spot, smoke billowed out everywhere, startling some coffee shop employees. There was also a faint high-pitched whistling noise, probably from the torn diaphragm.

After a minute of driving around, the smoke cleared up.
Definitely do it. Took less than 5 minutes. It’s weird because my diaphragm was visibly torn when I removed the cap, but I had no whistiling.
      02-28-2024, 10:06 PM   #4
Beet
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i xDrive

I did mine at 60k and it looked perfectly fine, like oem normal. I have a late production model so I’m assuming they maybe had a silent revision or it just goes car to car I guess.