E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > It's so frustrating... please help

04-15-2009, 12:53 AM   #1
gmoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 Coupe

It's so frustrating... please help

Is there any way to look for a location without having to enter the name of the place a letter at a time by scrolling?

I had to meet someone at a restaurant in a certain city... I knew more or less where it was. But while driving, unless I'm missing something I had no choice but to enter the name of the restaurant a letter at a time once I had selected the city.

And the worst things is that since the name had an apostrophe, I had to scroll all the way to the right to add the apostrophe, then back to the left to add the "S" or else it wouldn't find the place.

Please tell me there's an easier way for me to find a location/business/whatever, instead of this ridiculous way?!?!

Also, I hear some of you mention Nav Pro or Nav something else. What's the difference and how do I know which one I have?

Thanks for all the help ahead of time!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
gmoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hey guys... anyone? Please.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
KevinO
Warrior-Poet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney View Post
Is there any way to look for a location without having to enter the name of the place a letter at a time by scrolling?

I had to meet someone at a restaurant in a certain city... I knew more or less where it was. But while driving, unless I'm missing something I had no choice but to enter the name of the restaurant a letter at a time once I had selected the city.

And the worst things is that since the name had an apostrophe, I had to scroll all the way to the right to add the apostrophe, then back to the left to add the "S" or else it wouldn't find the place.

Please tell me there's an easier way for me to find a location/business/whatever, instead of this ridiculous way?!?!

Also, I hear some of you mention Nav Pro or Nav something else. What's the difference and how do I know which one I have?

Thanks for all the help ahead of time!
How else would you do it?

You can certainly get a list of all restaurants in a given city, but that's likely to be a long list.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
mdernst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
If I understand what you're asking, you can enter a few letters of the restaurant and then select OK and it will come up with a list of restaurants containing the letters you entered.

For example, if you are looking up Burger King just enter the BUR then select OK and will come up with a list of restaurants that have "BUR" in the name.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
gmoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Mike... I'll give that a try, although I might have already. What I thought possible, was something similar to making a phone call. One should be able to say a city name or zip code, and once you select a catergory in that location (dining and entertainment, in my case) be able to say "Burger King" or any other name, instead of manually entering it, requiring you to take your eyes of the road.
Appreciate 0