E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Blaupunkt THA 555 PnP

08-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Blaupunkt THA 555 PnP

Is THA-555 PnP & SWS subs and upgraded individual series speakers still the best way to do an easy and good upgrade for the poor European basic audio? The amp is discontinued by many shops. I wonder if there are other alternatives or should I go and buy one from a vendor that still carry those?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
Is THA-555 PnP & SWS subs and upgraded individual series speakers still the best way to do an easy and good upgrade for the poor European basic audio? The amp is discontinued by many shops. I wonder if there are other alternatives or should I go and buy one from a vendor that still carry those?
You can use a JL Audio G6600 instead of the THA555, even with the Blaupunkt PnP harness. This is a much better quality amp, it is a 6-channel instead of a 5-channel (keeping the underseat woofers in stereo), decent power output and at similar price.

Note, to use a G6600 you will need to create a custom wire to RCA conversion cable out of the Blaupunkt PnP to interconnect with the G6600 RCA inputs:

The G6600 accepts high level signals up to 11V peak; the OEM HU in the Stereo system puts out 8V peak (15W peak at 4 ohms) so this should work as a direct connection as the Blaupunkt amp. Use pin 13 in the back of the OEM HU as your remote turn on signal for the amp, it should be present in the Blaupunkt PnP harness.

The RCA cable used in the photos is the JL Audio 2-channel twisted RCA cable in a 25ft length cut in the middle to create (2) 12.5ft, 4-channel RCA outputs out of the OEM HU speaker wire outputs and spliced into the existing OEM connector: http://www.shopatron.com/product/par...r=91699/1451.0

That's enough length to reach all the way to the trunk.

This amp, a pair of SWS-8 and the Individual Audio front speakers (rears are optional) will give you excellent sound in a tight budget with a slightly above average of installation effort.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Could you help me understand a little better what's going on in the setup above?

YOu have a custom harness that plugs into the OEM HU. Then you're routing the two rca cables to the trunk to plug into the amp. Why are there only 4 rca channels, yet 6 inputs on the amp? Are you running a wire for the remote turn on from the harness up front back to the amp as well? Then you can simply swap the speaker output from the OEM amp into the new amp?

Would you need some kind of processor to make it sound good?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Rombedio84
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe M Sport

I'll do that

This is perfect. Do you know where I can get the pins and adaptor to plug into the existing Harness?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
Rombedio84
Rep

Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
You can use a JL Audio G6600 instead of the THA555, even with the Blaupunkt PnP harness. This is a much better quality amp, it is a 6-channel instead of a 5-channel (keeping the underseat woofers in stereo), decent power output and at similar price.

Note, to use a G6600 you will need to create a custom wire to RCA conversion cable out of the Blaupunkt PnP to interconnect with the G6600 RCA inputs:

The G6600 accepts high level signals up to 11V peak; the OEM HU in the Stereo system puts out 8V peak (15W peak at 4 ohms) so this should work as a direct connection as the Blaupunkt amp. Use pin 13 in the back of the OEM HU as your remote turn on signal for the amp, it should be present in the Blaupunkt PnP harness.

The RCA cable used in the photos is the JL Audio 2-channel twisted RCA cable in a 25ft length cut in the middle to create (2) 12.5ft, 4-channel RCA outputs out of the OEM HU speaker wire outputs and spliced into the existing OEM connector: http://www.shopatron.com/product/par...r=91699/1451.0

That's enough length to reach all the way to the trunk.

This amp, a pair of SWS-8 and the Individual Audio front speakers (rears are optional) will give you excellent sound in a tight budget with a slightly above average of installation effort.

Hi Technic,

Can you advise on where to get the pins and box connector to make the custom RCA cable that plugs into the harness please.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombedio84 View Post
Hi Technic,

Can you advise on where to get the pins and box connector to make the custom RCA cable that plugs into the harness please.
Get a Metra 71-9003 and remove the speaker sub-plug from it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
Rombedio84
Rep

Thanks a bunch Technic, you da man.
Appreciate 0