E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Aligment numbers for passenger side different than driver's. Is that normal?

07-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Aligment numbers for passenger side different than driver's. Is that normal?

I got my car aligned today and when they gave me the printout I saw that the settings for the passenger side were quite a bit different than the drivers side.
I am curius why that would be. I am not that knowledgeable about aligments which is why I am asking this.
What would cause this and is it anything I should have checked or is this something that is fairly common?
Thanks!
Attached Images

07-23-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

The front negative camber on the driver side is ususally less than the passenger because when you sit in the car, the driver side will squat more than the passenger side which makes the driver side negative camber increase slightly. Race cars are algined with the driver in the car. However, you have almost .5 degrees more negative camber on the passenger side front which is a bit excessive. Also, you have both the right front and right rear highlighted in red which ususally means the value is out of spec.

This alignment sheet is strange. The before measurments has one value out of spec and the after measurments has two values out of spec. I know the e90s can only adjust toe and camber. Caster is fixed. Also, there are limits to how much you can adjust it. Sometimes you won't be able to get a value in spec. A 0.5 degree difference is really going to make it handle funny. It'll turn left better than it turns right. Ask your SA to explain why the values are so different in the front. The rear is ok. It's only 0.18 degrees off.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

....it looks like they forgot to align your car. Goto a real shop... The left and right should be the same after alignment. The most they could be off is by .1degree.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep

That is what I thought. The interesting thing is that when left it i told them I wanted a little more negative camber. I had just gotten it aligned afew weeks ago and they took out the negative that was put in before that. this led to a bit of rubbing. Soo this time I madeer sure to tell them and when they got it done it had extra positive camber. Misunderstood I guess. So they took it back and readjusted it and the printout is the result of 2 attempts in one day. The car goes in to a BMW shop next week that is not a dealership for new turbos and wastegates> I am going to have them look at it and see what they think. They are a more performance oriented shop and have their own race team so I think they will be able to get that a little better. Just sucks that the dealership charges $140 to align. Hate to waste money.
      07-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
Rando
Lieutenant
Rep

Yup, typical crap alignment by the dealer.

Also, your numbers are quite far from the factory spec...

And the thrust angle should be 0.0 so that the car goes straight when you accelerate...

I think I created a thread with the factory specs a while ago. Let me know if you can't find it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
Rando
Lieutenant
Rep

P.S. You should get your money back from the dealer for that "alignment"... it really is very poor, and some numbers are even out of spec (i.e., in red).
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #7
hockeydad#55
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Alignment

When the alignment is done correctly will the driver side be about a 1/4" higher.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
The rear is ok. It's only 0.18 degrees off.
No its not, its 18 minutes different, or 18/60 of a degree off.
That is a lot, it's actually 0.3 degrees

I wouldn't argue it's a been done by a monkey though.
Take it back and get it fixed by someone who knows how to use those instruments - looks like Beissbarth which is good kit.

How did they pull it to 1deg neg camber on the front? Camber plates?
If not they have been drilling holes in your turret tops

Steve.

Last edited by m1bjr; 08-04-2010 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Wow I didn't see the minutes thing. Yea that's bad...
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0