E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Lowering springs only on ZSP suspension

08-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
nicks3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive Msport Plus

Lowering springs only on ZSP suspension

Has anyone found a decent solution to install lowering springs only on ZSP dampers without having to install new dampers too. I only want to firm up the suspension slightly on my ZSP running non runflat 19's and gain visually too from lowering.

Apparently Hartge have a new set of springs out for the E90..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
Wlew
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

You can definitely do it. Your shocks will wear out quicker than they would with the sports springs. but its definitely possible. Lots of threads about this.

Go eibach pro to stiffin it up and gain better handling with a mild drop from sports. I advise investing in new shocks though. Makes the ride perform and feel better. But thats my opinion. The Eibachs are wonderful. not worth it to pay to install fees when your stock shocks wear out... might as well do it all at once.
      08-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Exactly, you can easily do it but will need to replace the factory shocks sooner. If you are planning on keeping the car for a while, you are better off replacing both the springs and shocks at once to save on labor.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Sure, springs are a cheap and quick solution to lower your vehicle but there are negative repercussions to doing so. For example, your OEM sport or non-sport shocks are not meant to handle aftermarket spring rates. What that means for you is that after running the aftermarket springs for about 25-30k miles down the road you're most likely going to have to either purchase brand new OEM or aftermarket shocks.

Let's break this down in terms of cost. You'll spend about $230-300 bucks for aftermarket springs, another $250-300 for an installation, and another $65-125 for an alignment. When your OEM sport or non-sport shocks blow your going to have to spend another $700-800 on shocks, another installation fee, and another alignment. If you calculate that all together, you would saved a whole lot more money doing it right and going with a coilover system the first time around! If a coilover system is not in your budget the a shock/spring combo is recommended.

I'll send you over a PM with more details!

- Alan
Appreciate 0