E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Which brake pads (occasional HPDE) are recommended?

08-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Which brake pads (occasional HPDE) are recommended?

Tried searching, nothing extremely definitive, though I certainly came across a number of pad manufacturers I'd never heard of before.

I'm looking for mostly street pad, with a few HPDE events every year, and I drive fairly aggressively. I don't care as much about dusting (lower the better, but not high on priority list). What is high on the priority list is good bite, good modulation, and better than OEM for a 335i. Also top on the list is not sounding like a city bus when I'm coming to a stop (ie. I hate the squeaking you get from semi-metallic pads, so they're out).

I had Hawk HPS on a previous car, but never did any HPDE and worried they won't stand up...otherwise I like these pads.

What is everyone else using - any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Stoptech Street Performance

Porterfield R4S

PFC1038
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
david @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Cool Carbon, hands down. The best pad out there for daily driving, and for any auto-x event you want to go to or track day. Even when they're cold, they've got great performance and once they get warmed up, they're even better to give you that extra edge when you're on the track.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

In my opinion, there's no such thing as "dual purpose" pads that will survive a track day and be comfortable enough for street. The closest I've come to is Hawk HPS, where you CAN do some light track duty as in, take it easy, drive at tracks that does not have heavy brake zones, and be ready to do a couple of cool-down laps in a session to keep the brakes working. Even then, every time you FADE a set of pads, the next on-set of fade will come faster. When I had Hawk HPS on the car they were "toast" as in faded out so badly that even though there's about 50% pad left, I would have to start taking cool-down laps half way through during the 2nd or 3rd sessions of the day at tracks like Buttonwillow or Auto Club Speedway, which makes it a rolling chicane on a hot track (not good).

On an SUV like weight, such as the 335i? At local tracks I listed above, I wouldn't even bother with anything short of full dedicated track pads like Cobalt XR3s or Hawk HT-10s or PFC-01s or better. And this is on a car that's about 400 lbs lighter with the same stock HP (but far superior brake hardware). Honestly, it is so easy to swap pads on these cars, I can get a set of 4 swapped out in less than 45 minutes now. On a typical track weekend, I'll just throw the car up on the lift in the back of work, change out pads and tires and off we go to the track, and Monday afternoon swap everything back at work again.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Interesting - thanks for the responses guys. I don't have the luxury of a hoist, so its a matter of jacking up all 4 corners one by one, removing wheels one by one, and in a tighter spot (driveway is sloped, so can only do one side at a time in my garage), so its a bit of a PITA changing pads for one day or two a year.

I may stick with my gut and go Hawk HPS as I've had them on another car before and liked them. But I will look into both StopTech and Cool carbon pads too.

Ironically, the next car I'm considering is even heavier than the current pig - I'm considering an E39 M5 (obviously not a track machine, but it would be a fun car to boot around in)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
The HACK
Rep

If that were the case, bring a light-weight jack and change the pads at the track. Lift or not, I can still do an entire set in about 45 minutes. The lift just saves some back-pains of having to bend down.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335i

Hack,

What brake fluid are you using? Are you using the same for track and road, or changing fluid too?
      08-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
In my opinion, there's no such thing as "dual purpose" pads that will survive a track day and be comfortable enough for street. The closest I've come to is Hawk HPS, where you CAN do some light track duty as in, take it easy, drive at tracks that does not have heavy brake zones, and be ready to do a couple of cool-down laps in a session to keep the brakes working. Even then, every time you FADE a set of pads, the next on-set of fade will come faster. When I had Hawk HPS on the car they were "toast" as in faded out so badly that even though there's about 50% pad left, I would have to start taking cool-down laps half way through during the 2nd or 3rd sessions of the day at tracks like Buttonwillow or Auto Club Speedway, which makes it a rolling chicane on a hot track (not good).

On an SUV like weight, such as the 335i? At local tracks I listed above, I wouldn't even bother with anything short of full dedicated track pads like Cobalt XR3s or Hawk HT-10s or PFC-01s or better. And this is on a car that's about 400 lbs lighter with the same stock HP (but far superior brake hardware). Honestly, it is so easy to swap pads on these cars, I can get a set of 4 swapped out in less than 45 minutes now. On a typical track weekend, I'll just throw the car up on the lift in the back of work, change out pads and tires and off we go to the track, and Monday afternoon swap everything back at work again.

The first paragraph I agree with 100%.

My advice is to get a proper brake setup for HPDE if you are going to real tracks, like Sebring etc.

Somewhat of a PITA to pop the wheels off etc...but hey, if you are doing HPDE, you need to take the wheels off anyway, check for stuff, safety, tighten the lugs up for the track etc...anyway. You need stainless brake lines and Motul fluid. I wouldn't do it any other way having about 4-5 HPDE events at some well known tracks like Sebring.

I used to do it with my Audi S4 when I did HPDEs...I swapped the pads the night before I left for the track, just drove with track pads to the event. I had a Stoptech BBK also on the front. All the difference in the world. No brake fade, I could hammer the brakes from 100mph+ to turn speed with no worries. Stopping is underrated I think

By using street pads, you are asking for problems. My Stoptechs got a film/residue on the rotors from street pads on my S4. Stoptech sends you hard metallic pads for free (deposit to borrow) to wipe the crap off. You swap them for a couple of days of regular street driving. Soft pads on a track setup will either have brake fade, pads melting, and rotors being ruined nearly. I learned the hard way and ignored Stoptech's advice when I asked them about track events, they said track pads only! Sure enough, did one event with street pads, all sorts of problems.

Just buy a set of pads for the track, they are only like $70 and will last 6-8 events probably or longer depending on the track and type of events.

If just a auto-x...then a good hybrid pad will be fine.

But don't go running at tracks like Sebring, VIR and such with 110mph straights and expect to stop with street pads after a few times of that!!!

Lesson learned the hard way..don't use street pads on the track.

Last edited by techlogik; 08-10-2010 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
Hack,

What brake fluid are you using? Are you using the same for track and road, or changing fluid too?
Motul 600. There's no reason to change it out for the street since you can't reuse old fluid. Once you crack open the bottle their life-span is limited, exposure to air will start the "clock" on usable life of brake fluid.

I change/flush at the beginning of the year before my first event, then when I swap out pads from street to track I bleed a little bit out if my track pads are new and the street pads are old, or vice versa, and add a little new fluid back in. Then I flush again 6 months later if I feel up to it, but I typically don't go more than 1 year without flush.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
In my opinion, there's no such thing as "dual purpose" pads that will survive a track day and be comfortable enough for street. .
Try Carbotech, even up to XP8
Appreciate 0