E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Change only 1 strut?

08-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
acthad
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 228i MSport Step

Change only 1 strut?

I have 47k mi on my e90 xi with sport pkg, but I know I have the non-sport shocks/springs for ground clearance etc.

I walked around the car and did the push the bumper down check the rebound test of the shocks test. I know not very accurate, but I have a pretty good feel for it and are able to eye the car at the same time.

All corners firm except for front driver's side it rebounds and car sways side to side. The right rear rebounds a little softer, but the rear left and front right are a clean firm bounce with barely any body movement vertically.

The front driver's wheel has been very soft lately, it only bounces once over abrupt bumps, but the car really bottoms out on that corner and the tire hitting the pavement is quite audible. Also with the windows down I can hear the pneumatic compression sound coming from that and it is strut pretty loud. There is no fluid leaking from it though...

Also left turn ins are very slow with severe under steer at higher speed vs a right turn. Feeling the crunch for time and money so I thought I would just change out the one with the same OEM one from Tischer for $229 and DIY it.

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

2014 F22 228i M-Sport, Moonroof Delete, Sensatec, 8-spd Steptronic, Cold Weather Pkg, Xenons
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

If you got a hole in your right shoe, you wouldn't go out and just get one new shoe, would you?

better to have a matched set. 2 at the bare minimum.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
acthad
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 228i MSport Step

OK will wait it out...

until they are completely worn and change them out later. Thanks.

2014 F22 228i M-Sport, Moonroof Delete, Sensatec, 8-spd Steptronic, Cold Weather Pkg, Xenons
Appreciate 0