E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > will changing sway bars void my warranty?

08-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
campbelly
AC Schnitzel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

will changing sway bars void my warranty?

im thinking of installing these UUC sway bars for my 325xi..wondering if anyone knows or thinks doing so could possibly void my warranty? any help is appreciated
      08-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

In general, no single mod will "void your warranty" but any mod may lead the dealer to refuse warranty service on a failure if they believe that the failure was caused by that mod.

For sways, that would include any suspension related issues
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

It won't void your entire warranty, only the portion of warranty related to the sway bars which is very limited and comprised of components that rarely fail anyway. It should'nt be an issue. Also keep in mind that the rear sway bar is fairly labor intensive to install, it requires lowering the rear subframe.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
On the contrary, the M3 bars look stock enough to get overlooked quite often...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Most likely, the sway bar installation will void warranty on your suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
blacknbean
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oulixes View Post
The sway bar installation will void warranty on your suspension.
this.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Use BMW sways and you should be OK.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
campbelly
AC Schnitzel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
In general, no single mod will "void your warranty" but any mod may lead the dealer to refuse warranty service on a failure if they believe that the failure was caused by that mod.

For sways, that would include any suspension related issues
true..i know the whole debate with the magnuson moss warranty act...but what your saying is:
the only way they can void it is if i try to claim something under warranty and they can prove that it is caused by the aftermarket part (ie. suspension issues) but they cant just decide to void the warranty if i just bring my car to the dealer one day and they happen to see it there while doing seasonal maintenance not related to it at all (ie. oil change)?
      08-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
campbelly
AC Schnitzel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Use BMW sways and you should be OK.
do they even make oem sways for an xi that are "stiffer"?
      08-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbelly View Post
true..i know the whole debate with the magnuson moss warranty act...but what your saying is:
the only way they can void it is if i try to claim something under warranty and they can prove that it is caused by the aftermarket part (ie. suspension issues) but they cant just decide to void the warranty if i just bring my car to the dealer one day and they happen to see it there while doing seasonal maintenance not related to it at all (ie. oil change)?
Close, but not quite.

In general, warranties don't get "voided," but the dealer refuses warranty service on a particular failure.

While the mere presence of an aftermarket sway bar won't cause you issues during routine service, nothing stops the dealer from noting your modification in their computer. That may cause you problems in the future if you have suspension issues.

Sway bars often cause noise issues and will wear your suspension components faster.

On a side note - there is a whole other discussion on the benefit of larger sway bars (especially for an xi) and, quite simply, you'd be better off spending the money on a performance driving class than adding a sway bar - but the driving school won't look as cool in your sig line.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #11
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I don't know much about sway bars, but they sound like they are something that's pretty integral to the suspension system of the car. I do know about warranties and the legal aspects of them. If the sway bars you want to put on the car aren't the ones that came with the car or that were put there by a dealer to repair/replace any original sway bars, your installation of the new sway bars will minimally void any part of the warranty that covers any and all things that could possibly be related to the installation of said bars. Depending on the terms of the warranty, such an action could void the whole darn warranty.

The rationale for this is that the installation of substantial parts and components creates a plausible/debatable case that the new sway bars effect changes in some behavioural aspect of the car (too much vibration, not enough vibration, sharper vibrations, increased vibrational transference to this or that bit of the vehicle resulting from the greater rigidity, etc.) which in turn caused the failure of thus and such a part.

The fact is that dealers generally have no incentive to give you the benefit of any doubt when it comes down to their having to potentially provide you with something for free. But then, maybe you buy a dozen cars from your dealer each year and so they have a reason to give you some benefit of the doubt as goes the latter scenario I mentioned. The former scenario nonetheless describes a very risk you face should you opt to replace your sway bars.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #12
campbelly
AC Schnitzel
Canada
Rep

so as a followup i just spoke to a dealer and they said that it will only void the warranty on the actual sways and bushings and not the entire car/suspension
      08-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
...but what your saying is:
The dealer doesn't have very much to prove. The car you bought and that they warranted at that time is not the same, after the installation of the sway bars, as the car for which you'd be requesting warranty coverage.

I mean lets face it, we are talking about sway bars not floor mats.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #14
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
so as a followup i just spoke to a dealer and they said that it will only void the warranty on the actual sways and bushings and not the entire car/suspension

Great - get it in writing. You'll need it.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #15
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Great - get it in writing. You'll need it.
This.

You have a very nice dealer.

As stated, a Perf. class will go along way.

I don't know for your car, but if you car is 2 tons like mine.. sways bars (specifically front) will increase handling phenomenally.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #16
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
I'm assuming they mean the actual sway bar bushings - not every bushing on the suspension. AFAIK changing the sway bars requires changing the bushings anyway, so really the only parts they won't warranty are the non-oem parts, which is good news. I believe most aftemarket bars come pre-packed with bushings. My M3 bar required different bushings, and the UUC I took out had pre-packed bushings, so you are in the clear there. Just don't be an idiot like me and install the bar upside down the first time! (Won't be a problem if you get one with pre-packed bushings)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #17
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
do they even make oem sways for an xi that are "stiffer"?
Actually, the e93 bars are thicker, but be careful. Thicker isn't necessarily better.
Put a huge bar up front then you will understeer like crazy.
Put a huge bar in the back with no suspension components to go along with a stiffer bar and you will snap oversteer.
If you don't track and just want it for looks or changing lanes on the street then you might as well not go with OEM.

I have the e93 M3 bar up front and the e92 M3 rear bar.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 09:04 AM   #18
fisherbln
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
On a side note - there is a whole other discussion on the benefit of larger sway bars (especially for an xi) and, quite simply, you'd be better off spending the money on a performance driving class than adding a sway bar - but the driving school won't look as cool in your sig line.
This is true for almost all mods and drivers. Learn to drive the car to the limit as is and THEN mod it as necessary. The first thing we teach in our beginner's performance driving classes (during BMW DEs) is don't mod your engine or suspension until you have more experience.
      08-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #19
campbelly
AC Schnitzel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherbln View Post
This is true for almost all mods and drivers. Learn to drive the car to the limit as is and THEN mod it as necessary. The first thing we teach in our beginner's performance driving classes (during BMW DEs) is don't mod your engine or suspension until you have more experience.
true..i dont really plan on tracking my car tho..maybe once or twice but nothing crazy...the staggered setup i just did actually seemed to really improve handling believe it or not..maybe its just the tires i got (hankook ventus v12) or the fact that the rears are so wide, but it really does feel sharper on turns and really sticks...i just want to get rid of that body roll i feel so much on the xi's..its like a floating feeling almost..im not sure if just going straight to coilovers will solve this (and its expensive) or trying out the sways for like 1/3 of the price...then again maybe i should just scratch the whole idea and save up for a 335