E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Help! Dinan Or Bmw Perf Suspension

08-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
Bavarian E92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335 Montego

Help! Dinan Or Bmw Perf Suspension

I can't tell how the BMW suspension lines up with the Dinan suspension. Dinan's S1, S2 and S3 all look very similar. I want a new suspension so I can get better times on the track. The adjustable shocks by Dinan seem very interesting but i'm not sure if it will make a huge difference compared to BMW kit.

I really want a good setup that I won't regret. For now I would like to make this a one time project. Not on going adding M3 parts and such.

BTW I literally looked at over 20 threads of people who had the install done. Either way everyone is happy, but some of your complain about understeer and some of you don't. So im quite lost

Last edited by Bavarian E92; 08-28-2010 at 11:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Dinan Stage 2 is comparable to the BMW PS. My Dinan SA says with the shocks set medium, it's a little firmer but equal comfort.

Dinan Stage 3 adds some front camber. Dinan High Performance Bushings kit adds M3 parts to firm up the remaining luxury slop. Then the car feels really good.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Bavarian E92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Dinan Stage 2 is comparable to the BMW PS. My Dinan SA says with the shocks set medium, it's a little firmer but equal comfort.

Dinan Stage 3 adds some front camber. Dinan High Performance Bushings kit adds M3 parts to firm up the remaining luxury slop. Then the car feels really good.
Does it make sense to get the BMW perf kit to save money and add the camber and bushings later if I dont like it?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

If you want to make this a one-time project, assess what level of performance you really want, how much $ you have to spend on it, and what daily-driver compromises you are happy with. There are several old threads with recommendations for different "stages" of suspension tuning.

The cheapest option (<$500 in parts) is to get the old BMW Perf kit from Tischer and M3 control arms. Extreme performance tires (see TireRack) that are fine on the street, like B-Stone RE-11s, Yoko Neova AD08s, or Dunlop direzza DR1s.

If you have more $ (>$3,000 in parts), I would call Harold @ HPA and get a package including AST dampers, Swift springs W/thrust sheets, camber adjusters, M3 control arms & rear subframe bushings. Then get a Quaife LSD ($2,500), and a set of track wheels & tires ($2,500).
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
Bavarian E92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
If you want to make this a one-time project, assess what level of performance you really want, how much $ you have to spend on it, and what daily-driver compromises you are happy with. There are several old threads with recommendations for different "stages" of suspension tuning.

The cheapest option (<$500 in parts) is to get the old BMW Perf kit from Tischer and M3 control arms. Extreme performance tires (see TireRack) that are fine on the street, like B-Stone RE-11s, Yoko Neova AD08s, or Dunlop direzza DR1s.

If you have more $ (>$3,000 in parts), I would call Harold @ HPA and get a package including AST dampers, Swift springs W/thrust sheets, camber adjusters, M3 control arms & rear subframe bushings. Then get a Quaife LSD ($2,500), and a set of track wheels & tires ($2,500).
What is the part number for the old kit? I think i read in one of your posts that the difference between the old and the new is something going in back instead of the front plus some other things.
My biggest dilemma is how the BMW perf kit will perform without the M3 parts. Is it night and day or just a minor difference.?

Then I would get the cheapest wheels available from tirerack with Sumitomo HTR Z III's.

My goal is to be able to carve turns better without so much understeer and if I can do that with just the bmw perf kit ill be happy.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian E92 View Post
Does it make sense to get the BMW perf kit to save money and add the camber and bushings later if I dont like it?
Sure. The PS suspension will feel like driving on rails. The camber plates will add more grip (less understeer) in corners. The high performance bushings kit will add feel through the steering wheel and seat, and a ton of stability, and they eliminate the last bit of bounce over bumps.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
Bavarian E92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Sure. The PS suspension will feel like driving on rails. The camber plates will add more grip (less understeer) in corners. The high performance bushings kit will add feel through the steering wheel and seat, and a ton of stability, and they eliminate the last bit of bounce over bumps.
Thanks for the info... What about the anti-roll bars? Do they help any?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Yes bars help you a lot. A stiffer rear sway will eliminate a lot of understeer. There is a lot rear grip back there and it doesn't need to be as soft as they have it from the factory.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0