E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Idrive -- 6FL switching itself off...

05-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
dp
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335

Idrive -- 6FL switching itself off...

Hey guys, new owner here. Got a couple questions about 6FL and didn't see the answer in search. I have been having a glitch where I'll be listening to the Ipod and then it will abruptly
switch over to FM on its own. (no voice input or accidental fiddling of the Idrive controller). happened probably 4-5 times now in the last week.

Probably need to have the dealer check it out, but I am hoping to find a way to reproduce it because it seems pretty random right now. Anyone else run into this?

Also, does anyone know if you leave the Ipod connected in the armest all the time, does it draw on the car battery?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
jmonier
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i

The last few posts in the "Official" 6FL thread have some info.

I never had it happen while I was listening (in 6200 miles) but occasionally (maybe 1 in 10 or 20) had it be back on FM when I started the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2007, 03:07 AM   #3
stefano7171
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp View Post
Hey guys, new owner here. Got a couple questions about 6FL and didn't see the answer in search. I have been having a glitch where I'll be listening to the Ipod and then it will abruptly
switch over to FM on its own. (no voice input or accidental fiddling of the Idrive controller). happened probably 4-5 times now in the last week.

Probably need to have the dealer check it out, but I am hoping to find a way to reproduce it because it seems pretty random right now. Anyone else run into this?

Also, does anyone know if you leave the Ipod connected in the armest all the time, does it draw on the car battery?

Thanks!

Same thing happens to me! still looking for info please let me know if you find a solution I will do the same!
      05-25-2007, 05:58 AM   #4
Striki
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335d M-Sport

I think you have a option in the radio on. Traffic information.

Do you have a T in your i-drive monitor?

It changes to radio when it detects the traffic information signal emmited by station (which is a lie here in portugal, and i have to turn it off or i would not listen to anything else).

You have to click on the music you are hearing and shut the option tp off. I think its the first one.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
dp
Rep

yep, TI is on (only see that in Nav mode though). i'll try turning it off for a while, and see if that "fixes" the problem. even if its the TI causing the problem, this seems pretty buggy...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2007, 09:57 PM   #6
DonBMW3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xiT AW/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp View Post

Thanks!
Same issue here. Got the car via PCD May 21st and my iPod is a brand new 30g video. Production of the vehicle was complete on April 3rd. The 6FL connection almost always cuts off after just a few minutes and I usually have to disconnect then reconnect it to get the car to recognize the iPod again.
      05-26-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
bmwrules
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Phytonic Blue X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striki View Post
I think you have a option in the radio on. Traffic information.

Do you have a T in your i-drive monitor?

It changes to radio when it detects the traffic information signal emmited by station (which is a lie here in portugal, and i have to turn it off or i would not listen to anything else).

You have to click on the music you are hearing and shut the option tp off. I think its the first one.
This morning I turned the traffic info off but it didn't help the problem. It still occurred. If I don't use the USB connector and just use the mini jack port with a mini jack cable, the problem doesn't occur, and the traffic info is on.
Formerly Owned: 2001 Titanium Silver 330i,2004 Orient Blue 545i,2006 Titanium Silver 330i,2007 Montego Blue 335i Coupe,2010 Blue Water Metallic 128i Coupe,2013 Estoril Blue 335i M Sport,2012 Space Gray X5 xDrive35i Premium,2016 Estoril Blue M235,2017 Mineral White xDrive 35
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #8
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I don't understand why it's cutting out with the 6FL, I'm confused about this. For $400.00 option it should not be doing this. Is this maybe iPod settings affecting this, sleep mode or something?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 11:39 AM   #9
dp
Rep

i tried disabling the traffic info as well -- didn't have an effect, the audio still switches from ipod back to FM randomly. i don't think it is an issue of the ipod going to 'sleep' -- at least internally -- because it happens at varying intervals.

one thing i noticed when i first plugged in the ipod, was that the display kept switching back and forth between "do not disconnect.." and the normal view. so it seems to me that it is getting some kind of sporadic information from the connector that it is plugged into something, or not. then after some period of time thinking it is not connected, it shuts off the audio output? i'll check the ipod display the next time it happens.

it seems like there are a ton of threads on this now... anyone with 6FL *not* having this problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 08:23 PM   #10
Striki
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep

Ok, thats weird. I haven't got my 6fl cable a long time ago (last friday, to be accurate, after having to take the part number to dealer) but i'll check what mine does when i connect it. I'm almost 100% sure it never shows "do not disconnect... " and as soon as you plug it into the the car it shows "ok to disconnect".

I only got the do not disconnect message when i tried with the normal ipod cable.

Can you guys do an experiment and try another ipod in the car to see what happens? That way you check if it is a problem in 6fl or a setting in the ipod (as i do not think the ipod is faulty, maybe it as auto switch off or something)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2007, 12:55 PM   #11
Striki
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep

ok, mine is always displaying ''ok to disconnect''.

i disconnect it and connect it again, and drove around and then checked again. It always shows the same message.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2007, 01:07 PM   #12
killasingh
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Space Gray

yo guys,
I'm having the same issue with my 6FL option switching to the FM tuner every 5 or 10 minutes. i picked up the car last Thursday and drove to vegas and then back to la (4 hours each way). the switching consistently happened, for no apparent reason. I'm using a 2nd gen 8gb Nano.

hopefully someone will come up with a solution soon . . .
Appreciate 0