F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Halogen vs Xenon
proTUNING Freaks

02-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
frosty17
Registered
Rep
Drives: Subaru Liberty B4

F30 Halogen vs Xenon

Hi all,

apologies if this has already been answered - i tried searching the forums but couldn't find anything.

Is anyone able to point me to some pics/videos of halogen vs xenon lights? I think pretty much all the pics and videos I've seen of the F30 have xenons installed - they look absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately they are also incredibly expensive in Australia. I just wanted to see what halogens looked like, and whether they are a massive step down.

In Australia, to get the Xenons the following options need to be picked:

Headlight washer system ($750)
Bi-Xenon Headlights ($1,300)
Adaptive headlights with high beam assist ($940)

Totalling nearly 3 grand (plus stamp duty tax) for headlights, which is breaking my bank a little bit on top of all the other options that are "must have" for me

I'd love to be able to see whether the xenons are really worth 3k when compared to the standard halogens

Thanks!

PS I'm aiming to get the M-Sport 328i, but just looking at the Sports ones that are available right now is really tempting me...grrr must be patient!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
ibimmer346
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X4, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Yes, the halogens will look like crap. And you won't get the white angel-eyes without the Xenons. You can't just choose the "Bi-Xenon Headlights" option by itself?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

I got halogens, they are not bad. there is a cool little drl light that i am going to change to an led.
      02-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Calmwinds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
I got halogens, they are not bad. there is a cool little drl light that i am going to change to an led.
cars these expensive should have xenons on base models.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
frosty17
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimmer346 View Post
Yes, the halogens will look like crap. And you won't get the white angel-eyes without the Xenons. You can't just choose the "Bi-Xenon Headlights" option by itself?
Must say I agree the xenons look so much better after seeing the photo of the halogens in one of the posts above. Those angel eyes look gorgeous on the xenons.

Unfortunately you can't get bi-xenons on their own with the way the options in Aust are structured. The other two are "pre-requisites" or so my dealer tells me. Otherwise it would have been a no-brainer.

I guess I might drop one of my other options to pick this one up..possibly drop the comfort access..although i really love the hands free boot opening feature..

sigh decisions decisions...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
Autumn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: N/A

Sorry to hear that you have to pay almost $3000 extra just for Xenons on top of a car this expensive...that would cause some outrage in the USA.

And regarding what someone said of BMW having Xenons standard, the fact is BMW's strength is simply good driving characteristics. Its weakness is having extremely limited standard features (similar to a mainstream/budget car), and luxury options are extremely expensive and profitable (Xenons/sunroof/leather/heated seats/more than 6 speakers)

I prefer the driving fun of a BMW over luxury items, but there's no denying features will get expensive compared to competitors.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
playmobilboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 118i sport

Without the xenon this is not the F30
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Sorry to hear that you have to pay almost $3000 extra just for Xenons on top of a car this expensive...that would cause some outrage in the USA.

And regarding what someone said of BMW having Xenons standard, the fact is BMW's strength is simply good driving characteristics. Its weakness is having extremely limited standard features (similar to a mainstream/budget car), and luxury options are extremely expensive and profitable (Xenons/sunroof/leather/heated seats/more than 6 speakers)

I prefer the driving fun of a BMW over luxury items, but there's no denying features will get expensive compared to competitors.
Perfectly said.
      02-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
FerRrari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Catrinel Menghia

Anyone criticizing BMW for their options list should take a look at Porsche...
'07 IR/SBL ///M Roadster (GONE), '08 Tornado Red Triumph Daytona (GONE), '09 BRG/Cloth 6MT MINI Cooper S (Spontaneously Combusted), '06 IR/IR ///M3 Convertible 6MT (GONE), '04 JB/CR Z4 2.5i SMG (GONE)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #10
frosty17
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
You may be more outraged to know that an F30 328i with a moderate level of options (sports line, metallic paint, pro nav system, xenons) will go for $80K+ in Australia, and the 335i will easily go for $100K+. We're used to how ridiculously expensive european cars are here though

One caveat is that australian spec'd F30 328i's come with a lot more standard stuff. Eg. Leather, 8 Speed sports transmission with paddles, anti dazzling mirrors, are standard (I believe that is pretty much your premium package in the US). Comfort access and sunroof are still (expensive!!) options though.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #11
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Back in 2005 I had a 5 series (E60) without xenons but it still had the rings so the only difference was the lighting that the xenons provided. I assume cost is the reason BMW didn't continue to offer this? I would have gladly went with halogens only on the F30 if they still had some sort of rings, even if not as bright.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #12
E36toF30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT

For U.S. spec cars it's actually worse, in that you have to get the $3600 premium package on the 328i before you can specify the ($900) xenon headlights.

I agree with justinnum1 that the halogens aren't really that bad. That said, 3k on a car that's already 75k in Australia still makes the xenons sound tempting imo.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #13
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty17 View Post
Unfortunately they are also incredibly expensive in Australia. I just wanted to see what halogens looked like, and whether they are a massive step down.

In Australia, to get the Xenons the following options need to be picked:

Headlight washer system ($750)
Bi-Xenon Headlights ($1,300)
Adaptive headlights with high beam assist ($940)

Totalling nearly 3 grand (plus stamp duty tax) for headlights, which is breaking my bank a little bit on top of all the other options that are "must have" for me

PS I'm aiming to get the M-Sport 328i, but just looking at the Sports ones that are available right now is really tempting me...grrr must be patient!
If you want the Bi-Xenons then buy it and for some inexplicable reason, the headlight washer system. You do not need the adaptive headlights.

I too am waiting for the M-Sport 328i. Expect to pay maybe $5,000+ for the privilege. I'm hoping less but.......
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 01:49 AM   #14
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia View Post
If you want the Bi-Xenons then buy it and for some inexplicable reason, the headlight washer system. .
European law makes them add the washer system because ice/snow buildup can reflect the Xenon beam into the wrong direction and blind oncoming drivers

We are stuck with it even though your 3 Series are built here in South Africa where we dont see snow except on the highest mountains and I'm sure you dont see much snow in Australia either.
      02-14-2012, 04:46 AM   #15
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
We are stuck with it even though your 3 Series are built here in South Africa where we dont see snow except on the highest mountains and I'm sure you dont see much snow in Australia either.
Yes, looking forward to buying my SA built F30, just like my still drives like new today E90 was when I bought it back in 2005.

You are right, no snow here except for the skiing mountains.

Just a pain to spend money on an unwanted washer option unnecessarily.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 04:52 AM   #16
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:

Just a pain to spend money on an unwanted washer option unnecessarily.
Same here
i have never had to use it in any car, yet had to buy it on each Xenon one
      02-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #17
Rdx
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335inGA View Post
Back in 2005 I had a 5 series (E60) without xenons but it still had the rings so the only difference was the lighting that the xenons provided. I assume cost is the reason BMW didn't continue to offer this? I would have gladly went with halogens only on the F30 if they still had some sort of rings, even if not as bright.
The E60 had halogen Light Rings. The combination of LED with Xenon means an other power setup, aside of that people prefer the LED rings so BMW Marketing uses that to sell more Xenon cars.

As result, you see people, even here, twisting there options at the last moment because they really love the LED rings. Luckily BMW does not change the LED taillights when you choose for non-LED front-lights. Some manufactures do, it makes me puke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Same here
i have never had to use it in any car, yet had to buy it on each Xenon one
Correct, YOU wouldn't see any sense in using it. How ever, in conditions like mud or snow it is really handy that your xenon light caps get cleaned when you use your windscreen washer. This is so you can't blind other people by the blocked/changed lights (light will 'bend' on crystal blockings like water & snow)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #18
frosty17
Registered
Rep

Quote:
If you want the Bi-Xenons then buy it and for some inexplicable reason, the headlight washer system. You do not need the adaptive headlights.

I too am waiting for the M-Sport 328i. Expect to pay maybe $5,000+ for the privilege. I'm hoping less but.......
Ohh..are you sure? The dealer told me differently. Just getting the bi-xenons and the headlight washer system is a bit more bearable...around 2K instead of 3K.

Yeah 5k for the M-Sport isn't too bad.. that's how much its cost on all the previous models hasn't it? I'm hoping they don't go out of the norm and charge significantly more than that for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 03:43 AM   #19
motorwaytg1
Rep
Drives: bmw

Xenons look much better than halogens but I'm just not prepared to pay the extra cost it's ridiculous what BMW charge.

In the UK the 3 series is a very popular car, most company car drivers get either a 3 series or A4 from their company, they are everywhere and adding xenons and having to pay above what my company contributes to the lease is not worth it. So you will see that in the UK most 3 series will be supporting halogens.

Just to add if I was buying the car myself and keeping it for 4/5 years I would get the xenons for sure
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 05:20 AM   #20
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdx View Post
The E60 had halogen Light Rings. The combination of LED with Xenon means an other power setup, aside of that people prefer the LED rings so BMW Marketing uses that to sell more Xenon cars.

As result, you see people, even here, twisting there options at the last moment because they really love the LED rings. Luckily BMW does not change the LED taillights when you choose for non-LED front-lights. Some manufactures do, it makes me puke.
thanks for the explanation on the E60. The marketing makes sense, BMW can make a lot more money by attaching the Premium Package to the xenons instead of just including them as standard or as a stand alone option.

the halogens on their own don't look bad, but my concern is if you'd be happy seeing the other F30s with xenons on the road.

Last edited by BMWinGE; 02-15-2012 at 05:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 05:36 AM   #21
Rdx
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335inGA View Post
thanks for the explanation on the E60. The marketing makes sense, BMW can make a lot more money by attaching the Premium Package to the xenons instead of just including them as standard or as a stand alone option.

the halogens on their own don't look bad, but my concern is if you'd be happy seeing the other F30s with xenons on the road.
I've driven an E60 with halogen, at first I was; owwww. But after some while you think; if I don't need it, why pay for it? (but a fact is, I need it, because I live in a city with roads without lights and I'm dark-blinded (haha, my vision in the dark is poor, so xenons help me with there 'daylight' coloring, so my vision gets improved alot).

Yes, indeed, it is very nice to have led rings. But if you see nothing in having xenons, why pay for it? Most of the time you won't see the LED rings yourself. You buy a car for yourself, not for others

Last edited by Rdx; 02-15-2012 at 05:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #22
brosher
Rep
Drives: 128i ZSP 6SPD

I think they look pretty good. Thanks for sharing the pic on the white car. I will stick with halogens unless xenon becomes a stand alone option.
Appreciate 0