F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport Variable steering---yeah or nay?
ARMA SPEED

02-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

Sport Variable steering---yeah or nay?

Anyone have a chance to check out both? opinions ?

Worth ordering or not ?..Not as concerned about the $300. as I am to which has better road feel.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
90degreeman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Crappy 2001 Accord

I didn't order it...I would much prefer a linear steering.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current (392 Widebody Charger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtrey View Post
Anyone have a chance to check out both? opinions ?

Worth ordering or not ?..Not as concerned about the $300. as I am to which has better road feel.
Theres been much back on forth on this subject on these forums. Honestly if you have problems with your wrist and cant move it a lot. ex.Carpel tunnel. Yes but if you can the regular steering lets you appreciate the car for what its worth making full steers at the corners putting the effort the Variable is lazy man steering and doesn't let you fully enjoy driving a BMW. I deiced not to go with it After test driving the E90 335i with Active Steering which is Sport Variable i hated it i was to easy to turn also when you're driving on the highway the slightest touch can move the car significantly. Also if time where to come GOD forbid to avoid an accident when you panic you can move the steering to much and cause more damage
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

not lazy, no carpal tunnel. Just want the best steering feel I am going to be allowed to have in this car.

For 24 years I drove a mid engine sports car with no power assist. That was just fine with me.

It appears skipping the sports variable steering is the right way to accomplish my goal. thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
E36toF30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGuyadeen View Post
Theres been much back on forth on this subject on these forums. Honestly if you have problems with your wrist and cant move it a lot. ex.Carpel tunnel. Yes but if you can the regular steering lets you appreciate the car for what its worth making full steers at the corners putting the effort the Variable is lazy man steering and doesn't let you fully enjoy driving a BMW. I deiced not to go with it After test driving the E90 335i with Active Steering which is Sport Variable i hated it i was to easy to turn also when you're driving on the highway the slightest touch can move the car significantly. Also if time where to come GOD forbid to avoid an accident when you panic you can move the steering to much and cause more damage
From what I've read, the variable sport steering available on the F30 functions differently than the active steering on the E90. The active steering changes ratios rather abruptly, and had a habit of doing so at the exact wrong time from what I heard. The new variable steering has a special steering rack that has a pretty normal steering ratio around center, but then gradually gets quicker the more the wheel is turned. I think the idea is to end up with something that has lots of on-center precision, but has fewer turns lock to lock.

That said, I still agree with you that there's nothing wrong with linear steering, and that's probably what I'll end up getting.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36toF30 View Post
From what I've read, the variable sport steering available on the F30 functions differently than the active steering on the E90. The active steering changes ratios rather abruptly, and had a habit of doing so at the exact wrong time from what I heard. The new variable steering has a special steering rack that has a pretty normal steering ratio around center, but then gradually gets quicker the more the wheel is turned. I think the idea is to end up with something that has lots of on-center precision, but has fewer turns lock to lock.

That said, I still agree with you that there's nothing wrong with linear steering, and that's probably what I'll end up getting.
The Active Steering on my E91 feels very smooth in terms of the ratio changes and its really only at very slow speeds that it's that noticeable. But the implementation on my car has resulted in a greatly overboosted steering assist, which is quite annoying for those of us who like some semblance of road feel. Hopefully, BMW has sorted that out with the F30 - although I still feel that as long as there is some power assist (I prefer hydraulic), a variable steering ratio is the answer to a question no one asked.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Active steering in the E90 was great.
My initial E90 did not have it, but after a family member got it in theirs I had to change to one with it.
Wont buy one without it.

But as mentioned here and in th other threads, the system is different in the E30.
The people I know that have driven the new E30 system love it.
      02-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
I love the active steering in my X5, I also did test the variable steering in the F30 and loved it so I did order it

That said, I do have to mention that if I didn't get it, it wouldn't be too bad either but, oh well, it's only 300 dollar so I didn't see the problem
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

The VSS on F30 is NOT the same as Active Steering. VSS is steering angle dependant (i.e. the more lock u apply, the quicker the rack ratio) whereas Active Steering is speed dependant (i.e. the slower the car, the quicker the rack).
In terms of road feel, VSS shouldn't be different to standard system as both are fundamentally the same system (i.e. very minimal difference in parts used). Whether u should get it depends on whether u do a lot of parking or whether u regularly participate in autocross.
Appreciate 0