F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M-sport suspension vs sport line suspension
Extreme Powerhouse
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
RPM90
Major General
789
Rep
7,034
Posts

Drives: 340i M-sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

M-sport suspension vs sport line suspension

I believe this may have been brought up before.

I also did a little research regarding the different name for the same suspension, and found that this was also the case with the E90.
The E90 also have a Msport pkg, and it listed the suspension as
"Msport suspension" in some marketing attempt to give an appearance that there is something unique to the sport suspension in the Msport pkg, compared to the regular "sport suspension" option.

BMW is doing the same thing for the F30.
The Msport names the sport suspension differently to the sport suspension in the sport line. However, the suspensions are the SAME, at least from all sources I've been able to find.

I don't get it. Why do this?
The Msport is likely to be ordered by BMW enthusiasts who likely already know about the suspension.

Anyway, has anyone found anything anywhere of REAL information that says that the Msport is different to the sport line sport suspension?
I haven't found anything.

The other misleading information from BWM regarding the Msport is regarding the MT. By the wording it implies that the MT has a "short shifter". Most enthusiasts know a short shifter is something that actually shortens the throw of the lever. Well not with BMW's Msport.
The MT in the Msport simply gets a shorter shift lever, the throw is the same. That's some more marketing BS.
BTW, this was also the case with the E90 Msport option. It too implied a "short shifter", when in fact it was just a short shift lever.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
E36toF30
First Lieutenant
14
Rep
306
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

They're definitely the same suspension. I don't remember the official BMW material/statements well enough to judge how unclear it is, or whether they could be trying to potentially mislead people.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 02:17 AM   #3
r3dbimmer89
Major
r3dbimmer89's Avatar
United_States
163
Rep
1,106
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 + MK VII Golf
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Yeah the 2013 order guide has M sport suspension #704 standard with sport or M.
__________________
Past: BMW, Lexus, Merc, VW
Present: Porsche, Merc
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:12 AM   #4
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
79
Rep
3,563
Posts

Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia

iTrader: (0)

Here in Australia, the F30 suspension issue is clear.
You buy the Sport line and you still have to pay additional for either the M-Sport suspension OR the Adaptive suspension.

You buy the M-Sport and the M-Sport suspension is included in the cost.
__________________
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:55 AM   #5
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
1151
Rep
10,197
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

On teh E90 there were actually 3 Suspensions

1)Standard
2)Sport suspension (Option SA226)
3)M Sport Suspension (Option SA704)

With the E90LCI they dropped the SA226 option
For non-Adaptive the F30 only has the SA704 option from the factory with even lower M Performance suspension coming as a retrofit around September
__________________
BMW if you are reading, I need a job, Please.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
44
Rep
1,544
Posts

Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
For non-Adaptive the F30 only has the SA704 option from the factory with even lower M Performance suspension coming as a retrofit around September
I think the retrofit M Performance suspension only consists of a lowered spring kit.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
r3dbimmer89
Major
r3dbimmer89's Avatar
United_States
163
Rep
1,106
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 + MK VII Golf
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
On teh E90 there were actually 3 Suspensions

1)Standard
2)Sport suspension (Option SA226)
3)M Sport Suspension (Option SA704)

With the E90LCI they dropped the SA226 option
For non-Adaptive the F30 only has the SA704 option from the factory with even lower M Performance suspension coming as a retrofit around September
We never got the SA226 suspension in the US I'm assuming because my 08 Pre-LCI has the SA704 suspension.
__________________
Past: BMW, Lexus, Merc, VW
Present: Porsche, Merc
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
283
Rep
1,525
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: sD, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
On teh E90 there were actually 3 Suspensions

1)Standard
2)Sport suspension (Option SA226)
3)M Sport Suspension (Option SA704)

With the E90LCI they dropped the SA226 option
For non-Adaptive the F30 only has the SA704 option from the factory with even lower M Performance suspension coming as a retrofit around September
tru BUT, in the US sport suspension and Msport were the same thing ... we didnt get the additional lowered specs and handling that the Euro (and maybe some other countries) got when they ordered Msport suspension.

its always been one of the things that really pisses me off about BMW and its treatment of the US market thinking were just fat and stupid ... however, in their defense, for the most part theyre right unfortunately


EDIT: oops sorry, just saw this mentioned right above
__________________
Formerly addicted to e46fanatics
Formerly addicted to e90post
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
283
Rep
1,525
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: sD, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
I think the retrofit M Performance suspension only consists of a lowered spring kit.
i think the most recent one they came out with is more than just springs ...
__________________
Formerly addicted to e46fanatics
Formerly addicted to e90post
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #10
HouseMusicRules
Private First Class
HouseMusicRules's Avatar
Canada
17
Rep
107
Posts

Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD EBII
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
I think the retrofit M Performance suspension only consists of a lowered spring kit.
Interesting... what is your source?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
ric124
Colonel
ric124's Avatar
Jamaica
415
Rep
2,172
Posts

Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
It might be a package like this one for the e92 for $1700. I hope they come out with one for the adaptive M.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...=846&perf=true
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
283
Rep
1,525
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: sD, CA

iTrader: (2)

if you download the catalog from this page http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686594 and read the description of the suspension, it sounds like more than just springs ... but thats a wishy washy assumption
__________________
Formerly addicted to e46fanatics
Formerly addicted to e90post
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
chrisny
Brigadier General
chrisny's Avatar
United_States
250
Rep
3,149
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Sounds to me more like differences in their offerings, rather than trying to fool anyone. From what I'm seeing here, the US gets an upgraded m sport suspension in the sport line, and in the past, sounds like we had an upgraded suspension as the default in the sport, again even without m sport.

I don't see the issue. There are part numbers to easily identify these things, no excuse for being fooled by simple semantics. I highly doubt BMW is trying to swindle a few extra m sport sales with a cheap marketing trick. More likely just an oversight, neglected to update marketing materials for the difference in certain countries. A dumb mistake, sure. Are they confusing with their option presentation sometimes (often..)? Sure. Conspiracy? Doubtful.

I try not to ever complain about getting more for my money
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #14
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
1151
Rep
10,197
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dbimmer89 View Post
We never got the SA226 suspension in the US I'm assuming because my 08 Pre-LCI has the SA704 suspension.
USA E90 up to end February 2007 got SA226. From March 2007 they got SA704
__________________
BMW if you are reading, I need a job, Please.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #15
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
1151
Rep
10,197
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396 View Post
tru BUT, in the US sport suspension and Msport were the same thing ... we didnt get the additional lowered specs and handling that the Euro (and maybe some other countries) got when they ordered Msport suspension.
USA E90 up to end February 2007 got SA226. From March 2007 they got SA704
__________________
BMW if you are reading, I need a job, Please.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #16
Strangec
New Member
0
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: '02 M3 Conv, '14 435i MSprt
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, MN

iTrader: (0)

Has BMW ever offered the M Sport suspension with X Drive?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #17
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
JOE YOUNG's Avatar
United Kingdom
81
Rep
457
Posts

Drives: F30 330d Msport plus BSM M-PPK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Great Western

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I believe this may have been brought up before.

I also did a little research regarding the different name for the same suspension, and found that this was also the case with the E90.
The E90 also have a Msport pkg, and it listed the suspension as
"Msport suspension" in some marketing attempt to give an appearance that there is something unique to the sport suspension in the Msport pkg, compared to the regular "sport suspension" option.

BMW is doing the same thing for the F30.
The Msport names the sport suspension differently to the sport suspension in the sport line. However, the suspensions are the SAME, at least from all sources I've been able to find.

I don't get it. Why do this?
The Msport is likely to be ordered by BMW enthusiasts who likely already know about the suspension.

Anyway, has anyone found anything anywhere of REAL information that says that the Msport is different to the sport line sport suspension?
I haven't found anything.

The other misleading information from BWM regarding the Msport is regarding the MT. By the wording it implies that the MT has a "short shifter". Most enthusiasts know a short shifter is something that actually shortens the throw of the lever. Well not with BMW's Msport.
The MT in the Msport simply gets a shorter shift lever, the throw is the same. That's some more marketing BS.
BTW, this was also the case with the E90 Msport option. It too implied a "short shifter", when in fact it was just a short shift lever.
perhaps thats in the case of the US market.In the UK however,M sport suspension is an option in the Sportline,infact in all lines.
Check this.
BMW 328i Sport Saloon
360 view
Engines
Exterior
Interior
Packages
Optional equipment
All
Communication
Exterior Equipment
Interior Equipment
Safety & Security
Technology
Transmission
Finance & insurance
My configuration

Change view


Navigation System Business
0.00


Navigation-system Professional
0.00


Head-up Display
800.00


DAB digital radio
0.00


Loudspeaker system - BMW Business
400.00


Loudspeaker system - harman/kardon surround sound
650.00


BMW Emergency call
0.00


BMW TeleServices
0.00


BMW Online Services
0.00


Real Time Traffic Information
0.00


Information Plus
0.00


Remote Services
0.00


Internet
95.00


Bluetooth hands-free with USB audio interface
0.00


BMW Apps interface
0.00


Enhanced Bluetooth telephone preparation w/ USB audio interface & voice Control
430.00


Run-flat tyres
0.00


Model designation deletion
0.00


Towbar, fully electric
700.00


Windscreen with grey shade band
60.00


Model designation deletion (side)
0.00


Exterior trim - Satin aluminium
155.00


Electric Glass Sunroof
870.00


Sun protection glass
235.00


Ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming
275.00


Exterior trim, High-gloss Shadowline
180.00


Leather steering wheel
0.00


Steering wheel heating
155.00


Multi-function controls for s'wheel
0.00


Sport Steering Wheel
0.00


Sport Leather Steering Wheel, black
0.00


Sunblind - rear windscreen, electric
275.00


Sunblinds - rear side windows
190.00


Floor mats, velour
0.00


Rear-view mirror, auto dimming
0.00


Smokers package
25.00


Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory
910.00


Split-folding rear seats
390.00


Sport seats, front
0.00


Lumbar support, driver and front pass.
235.00


Extended storage
135.00


Seat heating, front
300.00


Seat heating, rear
280.00


Armrest, rear centre
0.00


Armrest, front with sliding adjustment
120.00


Automatic Air Conditioning
0.00


Extended Interior Light Package
0.00


12V power sockets
0.00


Head restraints, rear and folding
50.00


TV function
825.00


Headlining, Anthracite
215.00


"BMW Individual" door entry strips
0.00


BMW Individual leather steering wheel 'Merino'
415.00


Alarm system (Thatcham 1)
0.00


First Aid Kit & Triangle
0.00


Headlight wash
215.00


Park Distance Control (PDC), front and rear
0.00


Foglights, front
0.00


Rain sensor with auto. headlight activation
0.00


Xenon headlights
710.00


Adaptive Headlights
0.00


High-beam Assistant
130.00


Lane departure warning system
370.00


Lane change warning system
440.00


Dynamic Safety
0.00


Passenger airbag deactivation, front
0.00


Active Cruise Control with "Stop and Go" function
620.00


Servotronic Steering
0.00


Adaptive M Sport suspension
750.00


Variable sport steering
375.00


Comfort Access
470.00


Reversing Assist camera
300.00


Cruise control with brake function
0.00


Surround-view
500.00


Park Assist
0.00


Black panel display, full
140.00


M Sport suspension
315.00



Speed limit display
220.00


Pricing rule for 2A5 18" light alloy wheel Double Spoke style 397
540.00


Automatic Gearbox
1,525.00


Sport automatic transmission
1,660.00
BMW (UK) Limited reserves the right to alter prices and specification without notice. BMW (UK) Limited has made every effort to ensure the accuracy of information but does not accept liability for any errors or omissions.
__________________
DON'T MAKE ME ANGRY!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #18
RPM90
Major General
789
Rep
7,034
Posts

Drives: 340i M-sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjy2000 View Post
perhaps thats in the case of the US market.In the UK however,M sport suspension is an option in the Sportline,infact in all lines.
Check this.
BMW 328i Sport Saloon
360 view
Engines
Exterior
Interior
Packages
Optional equipment
All
Communication
Exterior Equipment
Interior Equipment
Safety & Security
Technology
Transmission
Finance & insurance
My configuration
Holy thread from last year resurrection Batman!

Yes, standard and optional items are different in different markets.
As I live in the US and most members here are in the US, I was speaking of the early marketing speak from BMW.

No offense intended to non US members, and perhaps I should have put
"In the US market" to make it clearer.

The basic issue hasn't changed though, optional or standard, the
Sport line "sport" suspension is the same as the Msport line "Msport" suspension. That's what I was getting at last year, IIRC.

I ended up getting the DH pkg with the M adaptive setup, so my suspension is different than the sport/Msport.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #19
AlpineWhiteF30
Private First Class
AlpineWhiteF30's Avatar
7
Rep
103
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 335i Black Edition
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: unknown

iTrader: (0)

It's the same suspension, unless you do what I did and order the Adaptive M Suspension with is a monster in the turns and lower the car 10mm compared to the stock height.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #20
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
40
Rep
1,831
Posts

Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhiteF30
It's the same suspension, unless you do what I did and order the Adaptive M Suspension with is a monster in the turns and lower the car 10mm compared to the stock height.
Actually, the sport suspension lowers the car by 10mm from stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #21
alex2364
Lieutenant Colonel
alex2364's Avatar
United_States
1043
Rep
1,598
Posts

Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhiteF30 View Post
It's the same suspension, unless you do what I did and order the Adaptive M Suspension with is a monster in the turns and lower the car 10mm compared to the stock height.
Thanks for bumping up a thread made more than a year ago. And no, the Adaptive M suspension does not lower the car compared to the passive sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #22
Avian
Second Lieutenant
Avian's Avatar
South Africa
32
Rep
240
Posts

Drives: 2015 F82 BMW M4 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: GP

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
In South Africa you have the standard suspension.
Then you have M-Sport/Sport suspension which lowers the car by 10mm and is firmer than the standard suspension.
Then you have the Adaptive M-Sport/Sport suspension which lowers the car by 10mm but the firmness of the suspension can be altered.

Please note that this can vary from country to country.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST