F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 328i brake malfunction
European Auto Source (EAS)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
E90bedi
Lieutenant
United_States
39
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: 2016 F82 M4
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nj

iTrader: (3)

F30 328i brake malfunction

I went in to give my e90 for servicing and they gave me a f30 328i with just 47 miles as a loaner. i was driving down a hill and naturally i started braking for the stop sign. and i realized that the car wasn't slowing down. i tried to pump the brakes. and that did not help that much. i put the car in manual and tried down shifting but that didnt help much. the car gradually picked up speed from 25 mph to 45. and my last resort was the handbrake. i pulled it as hard as a could and tried to slide the car to prepare for impact that way it wouldnt injure me as much. the car is totaled. Has anyone else experience something like this? I am very surprised to see that on a brand new f30 the brakes would act like this. Any comments would be appreciated thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
Dan_335i
Captain
66
Rep
936
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toronto

iTrader: (0)

Is the bmw dealers going to make ur insurance go up? Or will they inspect the car and indeed blame it on brake problems?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
finaloption
Captain
finaloption's Avatar
United_States
183
Rep
633
Posts

Drives: '13 f30 n26
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

wow, talk about bad luck.. good thing you weren't seriously injured

let us know how it turns out
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 12:59 AM   #4
Geekenstein
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 328i 6mt with tech package
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

What did you crash into?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #5
DerekS
Major
DerekS's Avatar
Canada
68
Rep
1,045
Posts

Drives: 2016 F10-535dx
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: YVR

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I am very sceptical of this reported brake failure. Downshifting didn't help, h'mmm ? Handbrake didn't work, either, h'mmm ?

Total brake failure is a virtually unheard of situation with contemporary vehicles, all of which have dual channel hydraulic brakes - if one channel fails, there is a back-up channel. Unless, some one has sabotaged the brakes ???
__________________
2016-535dx M Sport, Exec. Pkg, DA Pkg, 20" M Sport alloys Style 434
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 03:14 AM   #6
m2michael23
Lieutenant
55
Rep
567
Posts

Drives: 2013 Frozen Red M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tempe, AZ

iTrader: (1)

I had this issue before my car is fully broke-in. The break pad and the caliper are too new for the car, therefore you experience this. now my car has 2800 miles on it, the car stops whenever i want. i have the f30 335 m-sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
E90bedi
Lieutenant
United_States
39
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: 2016 F82 M4
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nj

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
I am very sceptical of this reported brake failure. Downshifting didn't help, h'mmm ? Handbrake didn't work, either, h'mmm ?

Total brake failure is a virtually unheard of situation with contemporary vehicles, all of which have dual channel hydraulic brakes - if one channel fails, there is a back-up channel. Unless, some one has sabotaged the brakes ???
ya tell me about it. I almost died.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
E90bedi
Lieutenant
United_States
39
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: 2016 F82 M4
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nj

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekenstein View Post
What did you crash into?
i tried to control it. i avoided a parked car. ripped the handbrake to make it skid into a tree on the passenger side that way it wouldnt hurt me as much lol. and only i was in the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
DerekS
Major
DerekS's Avatar
Canada
68
Rep
1,045
Posts

Drives: 2016 F10-535dx
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: YVR

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90bedi View Post
ya tell me about it. I almost died.
I'm very sorry that you had such a frightening experience. But brake failure seems so unreal for a new BMW ! I sincerely hope that the dealer who owned the car enlists BMW's assistance to determine the cause of this brake failure. This could potentially have serious ramifications for other F30 owners.
__________________
2016-535dx M Sport, Exec. Pkg, DA Pkg, 20" M Sport alloys Style 434
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
Frzdrdhppy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
18
Rep
219
Posts

Drives: 2016 335i xD GT Estoril/Oyster
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
I am very sceptical of this reported brake failure. Downshifting didn't help, h'mmm ? Handbrake didn't work, either, h'mmm ?

Total brake failure is a virtually unheard of situation with contemporary vehicles, all of which have dual channel hydraulic brakes - if one channel fails, there is a back-up channel. Unless, some one has sabotaged the brakes ???
Not the first report of this happening. While there are two channels, both use one master cylinder and one brake fluid reservoir. If there is a leak/break, and all fluid is gone (pumping the brakes will do this), then the result can be a total brake failure.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
E90bedi
Lieutenant
United_States
39
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: 2016 F82 M4
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nj

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frzdrdhppy View Post
Not the first report of this happening. While there are two channels, both use one master cylinder and one brake fluid reservoir. If there is a leak/break, and all fluid is gone (pumping the brakes will do this), then the result can be a total brake failure.
is there any report of this happening? documented proof? just curious because it may come in handy. thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 01:01 AM   #12
Frzdrdhppy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
18
Rep
219
Posts

Drives: 2016 335i xD GT Estoril/Oyster
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90bedi View Post
is there any report of this happening? documented proof? just curious because it may come in handy. thanks
Don't know how "handy" it will be, but just Google "total brake failure bmw" and several incidents on BMW's and MB's pop up along with a couple of recall notices. Good luck!

Also, re-read your post and I saw that your loaner only had 47 miles on it. Probably just enough to lose the brake fluid.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
guitarplayax
New Member
0
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: BMW 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

I'm having the same problem. The car is a day old, with 81 miles on it. With the brakes depressed 100%, the car feels like I'm not even pressing on the brakes. I'm extremely worried and I can't drive it at all right now. Any recommendations? This is my first BMW, and I'm almost started to regret my purchase.

Last edited by guitarplayax; 03-31-2013 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #14
guitarplayax
New Member
0
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: BMW 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Just wanted to give you guys an update. I had the car brought on a flat bed to the dealership after calling BMW Assist. They found that the master cylinder is faulty, losing vacuum pressure. A new one has been ordered and will arrive in 2 days.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
ghettodefendant
Private First Class
ghettodefendant's Avatar
Australia
1
Rep
105
Posts

Drives: F30 328i Sportline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Melbourne, VIC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90bedi View Post
i tried to control it. i avoided a parked car. ripped the handbrake to make it skid into a tree on the passenger side that way it wouldnt hurt me as much lol. and only i was in the car.
This why defensive driving should compulsory.
FYI never let the wheels lock up even if using the hand brake if at all possible.
Good to hear you've come out of it ok bud.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #16
ixse
Major
234
Rep
1,023
Posts

Drives: 2015 boxster s
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarplayax View Post
Just wanted to give you guys an update. I had the car brought on a flat bed to the dealership after calling BMW Assist. They found that the master cylinder is faulty, losing vacuum pressure. A new one has been ordered and will arrive in 2 days.
I would hire a lawyer and get something going against the dealer for not maintaining their loaner cars, and possinly bmwna.. not even a cheap kia don't hav brake master cylinder failure at 47mi odo. F that.. you could've been seriously injured.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #17
E90bedi
Lieutenant
United_States
39
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: 2016 F82 M4
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nj

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
I would hire a lawyer and get something going against the dealer for not maintaining their loaner cars, and possinly bmwna.. not even a cheap kia don't hav brake master cylinder failure at 47mi odo. F that.. you could've been seriously injured.
yeah I think I will end up doing that. Thank you for your concern!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #18
E90bedi
Lieutenant
United_States
39
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: 2016 F82 M4
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nj

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettodefendant View Post
This why defensive driving should compulsory.
FYI never let the wheels lock up even if using the hand brake if at all possible.
Good to hear you've come out of it ok bud.
Thank you i appreciate it. and i know it was dumb to lock up the wheels but it was the only way i could get it to avoid hurting me as much. i just walked away with a few scratches,soreness and a concussion.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #19
ntalekt
Private
ntalekt's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: F30 328i Sport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2005 Jetta GLI  [0.00]
Glad you weren't seriously hurt and tells a lot about the safety of the vehicle although sadly it speaks louder about the quality control of the brake parts. Especially if this isn't an isolated incident.

Car companies are very shady about recalls like this because they weight the cost of all the lawsuits vs. how much the recall will cost them. If it's cheaper to let a few people get injured, then that's what they do. A travesty if you ask me but what we get for living in a capitalistic society.

Again, glad you're not hurt but you should just talk to a lawyer. Most won't charge for the initial consult and you might get a free loaner for life out of the deal. Just hope it's not another F30 with bad brakes.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #20
E90bedi
Lieutenant
United_States
39
Rep
440
Posts

Drives: 2016 F82 M4
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nj

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalekt View Post
Glad you weren't seriously hurt and tells a lot about the safety of the vehicle although sadly it speaks louder about the quality control of the brake parts. Especially if this isn't an isolated incident.

Car companies are very shady about recalls like this because they weight the cost of all the lawsuits vs. how much the recall will cost them. If it's cheaper to let a few people get injured, then that's what they do. A travesty if you ask me but what we get for living in a capitalistic society.

Again, glad you're not hurt but you should just talk to a lawyer. Most won't charge for the initial consult and you might get a free loaner for life out of the deal. Just hope it's not another F30 with bad brakes.

Good luck.
Thank you sir. I was thinking the same thing in terms of recalls. Im just glad i got out of it with a concussion rather than something more severe. and yea lol im going to stick to my E90. I personally like the way the E90 looks better than F30.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #21
renegadeavenger
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 328XI
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

This same thing is happening to a new 2013 BMW 328XI that was purchased last wednesday. Brake failed twice and no one has any idea why it is failing. I really don't trust the car anymore, it may end up leading me to a collison.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 02:39 AM   #22
diesel86
Private First Class
United_States
14
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

What's more amazing to me is the number of corroborating stories from members with <5 posts...all using some variation of the same post written in broken English. Coincidence?
__________________
2012 328i Sportline - Black Sapphire Metallic - 8AT Sport

I pronounce it "Beemer" and turn my fog lights on even when it's not foggy.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
brake, f30, failure

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST