F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Please Help Is this Lease a Good Deal?
Studio RSR

08-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
Pcprograms
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i xDrive

Please Help Is this Lease a Good Deal?

Hell everyone and thank you for helping me.

I called a Bmw Dealer In New York and this is what they are offering me.

2013 320i with navigation

MSRP - 38125

Sell Price - 34800

Residual - 62%

Money factor - 00125

3000 down + tax and fees $5600 total

1000 sign & drive credit

1000 build out credit

10,000 miles a yr

279/mo

Is this a good deal or should i try to get the sale price even lower? I am looking to get this car this friday.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Wrinckled
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1990 325i

Holy smokes, that looks amazing! You build it to spec?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
BMW_F30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 2013

Ask dealer about multiple security deposit option. Buys down your interest rate.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcprograms View Post
Hell everyone and thank you for helping me.

I called a Bmw Dealer In New York and this is what they are offering me.

2013 320i with navigation

MSRP - 38125

Sell Price - 34800

Residual - 62%

Money factor - 00125

3000 down + tax and fees $5600 total

1000 sign & drive credit

1000 build out credit

10,000 miles a yr

279/mo

Is this a good deal or should i try to get the sale price even lower? I am looking to get this car this friday.
Look up the invoice on BMWCONFIG.com to find the invoice amount, and since 2013's are being phased out you should be able to get it at that amount as the selling price. From a quick eyeballing, it looks to be in that ballpark.

You should be able to get .00121 as your MF (2.9% APR), right now you're at 3.0% APR. You should be able to wiggle this down.

Also, I think that residual is wrong? I think it should be a bit higher for a 2013 for 10K miles at 36 months. I know the 328 & 335 is 64%, I can't imagine the 320 is that much lower? Just check that fact to be sure ...

Don't put cash down, use that cash down as MSDs (google this if you're unsure as to what this means).

Why is there so much due at signing? 2,600 seems a bit excessive for fees, should be more like 1,500, maybe 2,000 max.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
Pcprograms
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90 View Post
Look up the invoice on BMWCONFIG.com to find the invoice amount, and since 2013's are being phased out you should be able to get it at that amount as the selling price. From a quick eyeballing, it looks to be in that ballpark.

You should be able to get .00121 as your MF (2.9% APR), right now you're at 3.0% APR. You should be able to wiggle this down.

Also, I think that residual is wrong? I think it should be a bit higher for a 2013 for 10K miles at 36 months. I know the 328 & 335 is 64%, I can't imagine the 320 is that much lower? Just check that fact to be sure ...

Don't put cash down, use that cash down as MSDs (google this if you're unsure as to what this means).

Why is there so much due at signing? 2,600 seems a bit excessive for fees, should be more like 1,500, maybe 2,000 max.

I called another BMW Dealer and they also said 62% Residual i will double check.

I specifically asked about the multiple security deposits and he told me "we do not do that in New York State." I did not believe his answer i felt he was being a little dishonest but i let it go since I know its still seems like a good deal. can someone verify for me that MSD are used in NY
state?

I will get the entire breakdown of all the fees and post them here tomorrow thanks so much for your help!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
Pcprograms
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

MSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_F30 View Post
Ask dealer about multiple security deposit option. Buys down your interest rate.
I specifically asked about the multiple security deposits and he told me "we do not do that in New York State." I did not believe his answer i felt he was being a little dishonest but i let it go since I know its still seems like a good deal. Can someone verify for me that MSD are used in NY
state?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
JesseS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3/15 DA-2

Quote:
I specifically asked about the multiple security deposits and he told me "we do not do that in New York State." I did not believe his answer i felt he was being a little dishonest but i let it go since I know its still seems like a good deal. Can someone verify for me that MSD are used in NY
state?
I don't live in NY, but I've heard enough people talk about it be fairly confident that he's not lying to you. Something about it being incompatible with some nuance of NY state law.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I called another BMW Dealer and they also said 62% Residual i will double check.

I specifically asked about the multiple security deposits and he told me "we do not do that in New York State." I did not believe his answer i felt he was being a little dishonest but i let it go since I know its still seems like a good deal. can someone verify for me that MSD are used in NY
state?

I will get the entire breakdown of all the fees and post them here tomorrow thanks so much for your help!
Ok! I just wanted you to verify the RV (Residual) for that vehicle since I'm unfamiliar with 320's. RV can't be negotiated anyways, so they can't mess with this.

Some states don't permit MSD's, NY might be one of them. Even still, if this is the case, avoid putting money down towards the lease. Every $1000 you put down on the car lowers the total lease payments by $900 (because of the MF/APR charge). Surely you are better off holding onto that money down, and investing it or saving it and taking a slightly higher payment.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
JasonX4MComp
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4M Comp

Quote:
state?
It is correct you can not do MSD's in NY
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Wind

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
why do such a high down payment?

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #11
Pcprograms
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Zero down

Quote:
Ok! I just wanted you to verify the RV (Residual) for that vehicle since I'm unfamiliar with 320's. RV can't be negotiated anyways, so they can't mess with this.

Some states don't permit MSD's, NY might be one of them. Even still, if this is the case, avoid putting money down towards the lease. Every $1000 you put down on the car lowers the total lease payments by $900 (because of the MF/APR charge). Surely you are better off holding onto that money down, and investing it or saving it and taking a slightly higher payment.
Im going to call tomorrow morning and see what number they give me for monthly payment with zero down. But from the original numbers they gave me what do you think would be a fair monthly payment for them to offer me with zero down?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
Pcprograms
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Zero down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZheHbKa View Post
why do such a high down payment?
Im going to call tomorrow morning and see what number they give me for monthly payment with zero down. But from the original numbers they gave me what do you think would be a fair monthly payment for them to offer me with zero down?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's hard for us to tell.

Call and figure out EXACTLY how much the total due at signing is for taxes, titles and fees. Then we can figure out how much they are allocating to cap cost reduction and figure it out from there.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Wind

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
I would say get invoice price, and calculate lease payment based on that so then you know how good the deal you are getting really is

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #15
Pcprograms
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

O down $365 mo

Quote:
It's hard for us to tell.

Call and figure out EXACTLY how much the total due at signing is for taxes, titles and fees. Then we can figure out how much they are allocating to cap cost reduction and figure it out from there.
This is what the dealer came back to me with:
0 down
$365/mo 36 months
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #16
E92Carrera
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire E92

MODS: Should delete this thread. There's already another one.

2011 E92 Space Gray - M-Sport - Euro Delivery

2008 E92 Black Sapphire - Black Interior - Aluminum Trim
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #17
Pcprograms
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Carrera View Post
MODS: Should delete this thread. There's already another one.
They can delete the other one if they wish i did it twice by mistake. But this is the one that I am getting valuable information! So please don't delete this one!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #18
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is what the dealer came back to me with:
0 down
$365/mo 36 months
Regarding Tax Structure:

Tire Tax is set by law so that's fine.

Cash Down tax, is on the acquisition fee, insurance and fees, and first month's payment. This is also fine.

Upfront tax is the selling price of the vehicle before incentives (state doesn't permit netting of incentives against selling price to lower the tax basis), so (34,800 + 2,000) * 8.875 = ~1,166

So your taxes check out. Just as an FYI, this means you are paying all of your taxes up front, so you shouldn't be taxed on your lease payments each month. If anyone else from NY can chime in on if you are double taxed on the depreciated value up front (like you are using the info the dealer sent you) AND THEN on lease payments, please speak up, but I don't think you are in any territory.

If I were you, I would verify what the selling price of the vehicle is, NOT including incentives. If it does already include incentives, I think the selling price is probably 36,800, which is 1,000 above invoice. As it's an outgoing model, you should be able to negotiate the selling price to 35,800 or so before incentives. As I said before, go to BMW config to find the exact invoice price and tell them that's the selling price you want BEFORE INCENTIVES. You still haven't done this so I can't help you further. You also need to locate the invoice from BMWCONFIG.com

If the selling price they presented to you does NOT include incentives already, then it's still a really good deal. I just doubt a dealer would give you below invoice before incentives without you haggling them - they are throwing away profit for fun in that case, hence my suspicion and asking you to verify the selling price before incentives.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #19
Pcprograms
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Bmw config

Quote:
Regarding Tax Structure:

Tire Tax is set by law so that's fine.

Cash Down tax, is on the acquisition fee, insurance and fees, and first month's payment. This is also fine.

Upfront tax is the selling price of the vehicle before incentives (state doesn't permit netting of incentives against selling price to lower the tax basis), so (34,800 + 2,000) * 8.875 = ~1,166

So your taxes check out. Just as an FYI, this means you are paying all of your taxes up front, so you shouldn't be taxed on your lease payments each month. If anyone else from NY can chime in on if you are double taxed on the depreciated value up front (like you are using the info the dealer sent you) AND THEN on lease payments, please speak up, but I don't think you are in any territory.

If I were you, I would verify what the selling price of the vehicle is, NOT including incentives. If it does already include incentives, I think the selling price is probably 36,800, which is 1,000 above invoice. As it's an outgoing model, you should be able to negotiate the selling price to 35,800 or so before incentives. As I said before, go to BMW config to find the exact invoice price and tell them that's the selling price you want BEFORE INCENTIVES. You still haven't done this so I can't help you further. You also need to locate the invoice from BMWCONFIG.com

If the selling price they presented to you does NOT include incentives already, then it's still a really good deal. I just doubt a dealer would give you below invoice before incentives without you haggling them - they are throwing away profit for fun in that case, hence my suspicion and asking you to verify the selling price before incentives.
This is what i get from BMW config. I will call tomorrow and verify the exact sale price before incentives and try to get them down even further thanks for your help!

On a side note when I first spoke to the dealer he said that they had the car in stock. But today he stated it is at the port and will be at the dealership next week. Which if he would have just said that to me in the first place I probably would have closed the deal today with the $365 a month. But since the story changed now that gives me more time to negotiate the cost down further.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #20
JesseS
Private First Class
Rep

I calculated your lease with a cap cost before $1k build-out incentive at $35800 (invoice). If you take that, subtract the cap reduction that the dealer rigged up of $365 and then use the the $1k incentive, you end up at $362/mo, which is very very close to what you quoted.

Unless there's another $1k you haven't mentioned in there somewhere, that means you're paying invoice for the car and then BMW is helping you out with the build-out credit (that's the way I look at incentives). The $365 cap cost reduction is bit weird, but it's not that much money to have on the line considering.

Yes, it's a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #21
Pcprograms
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Sign & drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
I calculated your lease with a cap cost before $1k build-out incentive at $35800 (invoice). If you take that, subtract the cap reduction that the dealer rigged up of $365 and then use the the $1k incentive, you end up at $362/mo, which is very very close to what you quoted.

Unless there's another $1k you haven't mentioned in there somewhere, that means you're paying invoice for the car and then BMW is helping you out with the build-out credit (that's the way I look at incentives). The $365 cap cost reduction is bit weird, but it's not that much money to have on the line considering.

Yes, it's a good deal.
I also have $1k from the sign and drive event
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #22
JesseS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I also have $1k from the sign and drive event
Oh, sorry, I missed it but I see it now.

So your cap cost is $1k over invoice -- a little high for 2013 maybe, but it's not the worst deal ever.

Basically, what's happening is the dealership is getting one of those incentive credits instead of you.

If you paid invoice your monthly, with the MF and RV you originally quoted, would be $333.
Appreciate 0