E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > inner tyre wear

12-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

inner tyre wear

about 5 years ago this subject was constantly being discussed as just about everyone with 19" wheels was suffering from it. personally I put it down to the bridgestone runflats fitted to my car which in my opinion were absolute rubbish (I still think this is the case) I changed my runflats to pirrelli and apart from being far superior in every respect are not wearing unevenly on the inside. i am also running goodyears on bbs rime and these too are wearing evenly. by contrast the 17" bridgestones on my daughters e93 had to be replaced with masses of tread on 9 tenths of the tyre but the insides were shot. I wrote several letters to bridgestone and the cheeky buggers said the premature wear was down to me as I hadn't kept a check of the tyre pressures. when I bought my new 313's they had bloody bridgestones too, so I religiously kept the pressures spot on, needless to say these went the same way. when I wrote to bridgestones they didn't even reply. im just wondering if anyone is still suffering with inner tyre wear or has the problem gone away.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
a11y
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW T5 Campervan...

Garage List
Was the geometry checked on all? Excessive negative camber is usually the cause. Non-RFTs on my previous BMW wore badly on the inside due to the standard -2.5 camber. I've not covered enough miles in my e90 (non-RFT Falkens) to see uneven wear yet, but visually the rear camber looks less than my Z4 did.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

bmw kds was done on 1st set and all ok had bmw per suspension fitted on 2nd set so kds done on those as well
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

My original Bridgestones also wore heavily in the inner edge. It was really badly concentrated to the first 1" and effectively down the sidewall.

With no changes in geometry the Pirelli runflats wore perfectly through their life. The Goodyears on now are fine too.

It doesn't always appear to be down to tyre pressures either.

The thing with an open differential, it will always spin up the inside wheel. The inside wheel will always be digging in on the inner edge.

Not sure if the fact that tyres with more grip don't wear as badly on the inside edge is the reason. Maybe they have more grip and not spinning up as often.

Anyone with a LSD suffer with uneven tyre wear?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 03:31 AM   #5
Robbie200
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

It's worth checking the rear toe in, as that causes more wear than just camber.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
about 5 years ago this subject was constantly being discussed as just about everyone with 19" wheels was suffering from it. personally I put it down to the bridgestone runflats fitted to my car which in my opinion were absolute rubbish (I still think this is the case) I changed my runflats to pirrelli and apart from being far superior in every respect are not wearing unevenly on the inside. i am also running goodyears on bbs rime and these too are wearing evenly.
I'm not sure it is a Bridgestone issue as such, although many of the premature wear issues were on Bridgestone Potenza tyres.

Other tyres brands were having the same issue on other models as well, I think from memory it was one of the Dunlop tyres which got a bad reputation on the E60 models.

The problem is still there, as geometry, pressure and use play a big part in the problem. Some of the F07 (GT) models eat rear tyres, same issue down to the wire with about 30mm of extreme inner wear, again one tyre seems in the middle of it, but it isn't a Bridgestone.

Each tyre brand has slightly different characteristics and vertical wall stiffness, so there is bound to be one brand which has to hit the 'worst spot' for any given model.

I'm sure there are now some wide variations of how a run-flat tyre will perform in zero pressure condition, as I note some of the manufacturers don't now boast the high mileages they once seemed to advertise. I know there is a minimum standard required to be a true run-flat, not just an "extended range" tyre, like are made and fitted to Mercedes. But Bridgestone at the launch of the modern day RFT indicated they could well exceed the "50 miles at 50mph" by many miles (at zero pressure) and demonstrated it to the motoring press.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
Terryk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 mineral grey N47 ed

HighlandPete could you please explain what is the "extended range" tyre that fit in Merc? I mean what are their specs?
I know that as BMW has a star " * " as a recommended tyre by them, Merc has its own mark "MO" .
thanks
      12-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryk View Post
HighlandPete could you please explain what is the "extended range" tyre that fit in Merc? I mean what are their specs?
I know that as BMW has a star " * " as a recommended tyre by them, Merc has its own mark "MO" .
thanks
There is the specific reference to Mercedes MO Extended in tyre data.

For example, Michelin have their ZP "SR" range which is a limited use SST (self-supporting tyre), up to 20 miles at up to 50mph for the ZP SR, supply Mercedes with MO Extended tyres. Bridgestone say up to 30 miles for their MO Extended tyres. Extended range tyres still need TPWS fitted to the vehicle.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
Terryk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

well I did a small research and I found some info in relevant sites in which they don't declare something like extended range when mentioning "MO tyre" .
just for a quick look one could see some imfo in the below 2, in the 2nd it appears that an engineer from Continental responded to ones email and declared that there is no difference between the exactly same model tyre of a non MO and a MO one :

http://www.mercedes-benz.inchcape.co...nal-tyres.aspx

and
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/wheel...tion-last.html

all these years I was curious about the difference between a non MO and a MO tyre (besides the fact that the MO are Merc recommended ones that could be fitted to any other car with no issues) since I also have installed a pair of ContiSport 5 MO tyres in the front axle.
      12-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryk View Post
well I did a small research and I found some info in relevant sites in which they don't declare something like extended range when mentioning "MO tyre" .
just for a quick look one could see some imfo in the below 2, in the 2nd it appears that an engineer from Continental responded to ones email and declared that there is no difference between the exactly same model tyre of a non MO and a MO one :

http://www.mercedes-benz.inchcape.co...nal-tyres.aspx

and
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/wheel...tion-last.html

all these years I was curious about the difference between a non MO and a MO tyre (besides the fact that the MO are Merc recommended ones that could be fitted to any other car with no issues) since I also have installed a pair of ContiSport 5 MO tyres in the front axle.
Are you referring to MO tyres compared to generic tyre fitment, or MO vs. MO Extended tyres? MO and MO Extended range tyres are to different specifications, not one and the same thing.

MO tyres can be fitted to other cars as per official directives, it is only the Porsche N marked tyres which get a specific fitment warning.

Quote:
British Tyre Manufacturers’ Association

Vehicle Specific Tyres

Vehicles homologated on specific tyres should have the equivalent replacements fitted when they require changing.
Specific tyres for a specific vehicle (and marked accordingly) are possible. It is recommended to follow the vehicle handbook guidelines closely (or seek assistance from vehicle or tyre manufacturers) when changing these.

Examples are possible where one could deviate from those marked and others where that is not recommended –

e.g.

1) MO marking for Mercedes. It is possible to fit non-MO marked (and could use MO marked for another vehicle)

2) N-marked tyres for Porsche. Due to the particular characteristics of their vehicles, Porsches must take the correct N-marked fitments. It is also recommended that N-marked tyres are not used on any other vehicles.

Others versions exist in the main for performance/prestigious vehicles such as Porsche, Chrysler, Ferrari, Mercedes AMG, Audi, Bentley, BMW and others.

NB: Other countries may have different laws regarding the replacement of Original Fitment tyres.
The other issue of whether MO tyres are to any special criteria for Mercedes, according to Mercedes this is so. Same as BMW * marked tyres can have a specific manufacturing set of criteria/tolerances.

As an example, from Mercedes data....

Quote:
The MO prefix refers to a special type of approved tyre which is now supplied on most current Mercedes-Benz models. Mercedes-Benz recommend in instances where tyres with MO designation are fitted as original equipment that these tyres provide the optimum performance properties. Furthermore, for some tyre sizes e.g. 205/45ZR17 MO, the tyre dimensions have been designed to fit the available space in the wheel arch. This means that MO tyres may turn out to be narrower than tyres of the same indicated size without MO designation.
HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
I have Bridgestone RE050 run flats fitted to my 313's and have had no issues with uneven tyre wear. I do check the pressures regularly and run 36 psi front and 41psi rear.....

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
I have Bridgestone RE050 run flats fitted to my 313's and have had no issues with uneven tyre wear. I do check the pressures regularly and run 36 psi front and 41psi rear.....
how many miles have you done, also be aware that you cant always see how bad the wear is unless you remove the wheel. I think bridgestone have changed the stiffness of the walls somewhat just annoys me they wouldn't put their hands up to the problem
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
how many miles have you done, also be aware that you cant always see how bad the wear is unless you remove the wheel. I think bridgestone have changed the stiffness of the walls somewhat just annoys me they wouldn't put their hands up to the problem
Rears are just coming up to 18k miles and are on an even 3mm so will need replacing early in the new year. I check the tyres completely when I pump them up or check the pressures.

Bridgestone have definitely changed the stiffness of the tyres. The ones fitted new to my 2006 car were a lot stiffer than the ones on my current LCI car plus the suspension was altered on the LCI which made the ride more comfortable and run flat compliant.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #14
Terryk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

@ HighlandPete : I was referring to the "mo" since I wasn't familiar with the "extended range" before you mentioned it and thanks for the info.

@ ukbeemerboy: you are probably right for the improvement in bridg rft tyres' stiffness. without knowing for sure if this is a fact, I read in a forum that now there is available in the market the "3rd generation" of runflat tyres from all tyre manufactures meaning that they have done some progress to their products.