F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Traction Mode vs. Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
GetBMWParts

01-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
ksdindy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sedan

Traction Mode vs. Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)

Ok, I have a question re: the difference between the two.

Driving in all the snow we've had recently, I've been playing around with DSC.

In regular driving mode (DSC on) when I gun the car on slippery roads, the icon lights up in the dash and I don't spin out.

If I press the button on the console to turn DSC off, the dash light comes on telling me DSC is off and iDrive tells me I'm in "Traction" mode.

So now, on snowy roads, I can get better traction, but if I gun the engine, the DSC light still flashes keeping me from spinning out.

I thought that by turning off DSC, it would no longer do that? The manual said something about pressing and holding the button, but I'm not sure what that does differently than just pressing it and turning it on/off?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

To fully turn it off, you have to push and hold the button for a number of seconds, it might be as much as ten. One single push of the button does not turn it OFF.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksdindy View Post
Ok, I have a question re: the difference between the two.

Driving in all the snow we've had recently, I've been playing around with DSC.

In regular driving mode (DSC on) when I gun the car on slippery roads, the icon lights up in the dash and I don't spin out.

If I press the button on the console to turn DSC off, the dash light comes on telling me DSC is off and iDrive tells me I'm in "Traction" mode.

So now, on snowy roads, I can get better traction, but if I gun the engine, the DSC light still flashes keeping me from spinning out.

I thought that by turning off DSC, it would no longer do that? The manual said something about pressing and holding the button, but I'm not sure what that does differently than just pressing it and turning it on/off?

Thanks in advance.
i dont think ur traction control is completely off. hold the button for like 3-5 seconds. When i gun it on ice or snow my rear spins out. when im not getting any traction i dont have the traction control light flash its just a solid colour does not flash
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
E30M3Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C, 97 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.00]
1989 BMW M3  [8.20]
From BMW's web site:

Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) (Activated with a single press of the traction control button.):

Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) allows more wheel slip and thus a more dynamic driving style with higher wheel traction and DSC controlling stability. A small amount of spin on the drive wheels improves traction when pulling off from a standstill in snow or on loose terrain.

Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) is a sub-function of the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system that can be turned on and off. DTC has two major roles: to regulate traction and to enable sports-style driving while providing active stability control.

When the drive wheels start losing traction the DSC automatically begins stabilisation measures. The Dynamic Stability Control system curbs the engine output and stops slip on the wheels. In exceptional situations, however, a small amount of wheel slip can be an advantage.

When driving in deep snow, slush or on loose terrain a small amount of wheel spin improves traction. For these occasions, as well as those when the drivers want a sportier driving style, the DTC can be activated by pressing a button and this allows more slip and reduces the DSC’s curbing of the engine. The result: better traction and more thrust.

The DTC also makes driving on snow and ice-free roads more dynamic. When activated, the DTC allows sporty drivers more room to manoeuvre around curves than the Dynamic Stability Control and even permits controlled drifts. The driver retains complete control over the vehicle in every situation and the Dynamic Stability Control’s stabilising measures remain active even when the DTC is activated.

Pressing and holding the traction control button for a few seconds completely disables DSC

Performance Center Delivery, June 21, 2013: 2013 E92 335is | Le Mans Blue | Gray Leather with Black | 6MT | 19" Style 313's | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | BMW Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler |
Appreciate 1
jy228i6.00
      01-09-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
ksdindy
Private
Rep

That makes sense, but why when I press the button on the console does the icon on the dash (the little car with the wavy lines) say Off?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

The terminology between DSC/DTC quickly becomes confusing.

BMW refers to the situation as "The car defaults to DTC OFF. Pressing the button turns on DTC"

The icon is the same between DTC ON and DSC totally off (pressing and holding the button)
      01-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
E30M3Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.00]
1989 BMW M3  [8.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksdindy View Post
That makes sense, but why when I press the button on the console does the icon on the dash (the little car with the wavy lines) say Off?
You should see the car with the squiggly lines icon that says off underneath it and in your instrument cluster, when you press it once it will say "Dynamic Traction Control activated" and the word "Traction" will appear next to your gear selected, or if you press and hold, it will give you the same icon and say "DSC inactive" and you will see "DSC Off" next to the gear selection.

Not the most intuitive, but I give BMW credit for not only giving us the traction mode, but being able to fully defeat it when desired and have it really be off.

Performance Center Delivery, June 21, 2013: 2013 E92 335is | Le Mans Blue | Gray Leather with Black | 6MT | 19" Style 313's | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | BMW Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler |
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 02:14 AM   #8
Geekenstein
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i 6mt with tech package

As far as I can tell, the warning light is on in DTC mode just to remind you that the rear end can slide a bit, so you might not exactly stay centered in your lane as well as you should. But it won't actually let you spin out. I've never needed more than about a quarter turn of opposite lock with it. The power cut seems to be very minimal in most conditions. You can really spin up the rears pretty freely. Seems it doesn't like bumps though. If you hit a good sized bump you'll get a big power cut every time.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 03:56 AM   #9
ipp
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2016 M135i

If you engage the cruise control the car exits DTC mode, which makes sense... But first I thought I had Alzheimer's.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 07:47 AM   #10
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

I don't think this has been mentioned, but when DTC is Active (DSC OFF) you can spin the tires all day long in a straight line. DTC only intervenes when the rear steps out past a certain degree.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #11
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipp
If you engage the cruise control the car exits DTC mode, which makes sense... But first I thought I had Alzheimer's.
Yes, that's an important safety feature to avoid hydro planing and other nasty effects of your car losing traction while under the control of cruise control.
      01-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #12
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
I don't think this has been mentioned, but when DTC is Active (DSC OFF) you can spin the tires all day long in a straight line. DTC only intervenes when the rear steps out past a certain degree.
Not quite if I understand it correctly. When DTC is active DSC is on as DTC is a component of DSC. The DTC frees up the DSC system a bit to allow some wheel spin.

By pressing and holding the DSC/DTC button, you can completely shut off the whole DSC system, which includes DTC, and the car will not attempt to control wheel spin at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #13
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Try it, it's easy to test. We have had a bunch of snow here so it is really easy to test out. When I press the DSC Off button I can hit the gas and spin the rear tires as long as I stay 'relatively' straight. I can bounce off redline indefinitely if I wanted to. As soon as the rear end steps out a few degrees DTC kicks in and kills the wheel spin.

If I hold the DSC button for 5 seconds then I can spin tires as long as I want AND I can as sideways as I want with absolutely no intervention.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #14
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

How does Sport+ fit in this picture? When enabling Sport+ mode, DSC is OFF, and DTC is ON, correct?

And I think if you press and hold the DSC off button you will be stuck in Comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #15
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Try it, it's easy to test. We have had a bunch of snow here so it is really easy to test out. When I press the DSC Off button I can hit the gas and spin the rear tires as long as I stay 'relatively' straight. I can bounce off redline indefinitely if I wanted to. As soon as the rear end steps out a few degrees DTC kicks in and kills the wheel spin.

If I hold the DSC button for 5 seconds then I can spin tires as long as I want AND I can as sideways as I want with absolutely no intervention.
Best explanation on this subject i've read. I've always been a little fuzzy on what exactly is going on with this button's 3 modes, lots of good info in this thread, but this right here makes it very easy to understand. I just hope that really sums it all up properly. haha
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #16
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wait I might be confused again...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #17
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If DTC is a sub function of DSC, how could DSC be turned off with DTC still active? That seems kind of backwards. As I understand it, pressing the button once turns DSC off (as per an above post, I am not at home to check myself right now). Yet, in this mode, DTC will kick in when the car slides too much. I think this is what is making this so confusing for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #18
ksdindy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI
If DTC is a sub function of DSC, how could DSC be turned off with DTC still active? That seems kind of backwards. As I understand it, pressing the button once turns DSC off (as per an above post, I am not at home to check myself right now). Yet, in this mode, DTC will kick in when the car slides too much. I think this is what is making this so confusing for me.
That's what confuses me as well
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #19
E30M3Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.00]
1989 BMW M3  [8.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
A single press of the button does not turn DSC off (I know that the icon still says "off" but it is not), it activates the DTC mode of DSC - DTC, is a mode that allows wheel spin and still provides stability control if the rear still slides to the left or right. DSC off occurs when you press and hold the button and then you have wheel spin and you will have no stability control.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #20
Number 6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30M3Driver View Post
A single press of the button does not turn DSC off (I know that the icon still says "off" but it is not), it activates the DTC mode of DSC - DTC, is a mode that allows wheel spin and still provides stability control if the rear still slides to the left or right. DSC off occurs when you press and hold the button and then you have wheel spin and you will have no stability control.
This sounds right.... so why does pressing and holding the DSC button then place you back in Comfort Mode (from Sport+) when you want to be sporty??
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 11:41 PM   #21
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30M3Driver View Post
Yes I see that it says DTC activated when pressing that button. So that would appear to mean DTC is not active normally? DTC appears to be a traction feature that kicks in only when turning off another more "basic" traction control system. What exactly is that normal traction control that is turned off when pressing this button then? In other words, what does the squiggly line icon really represent? It's not DSC or DTC.

As I understand it at this point:
Mode 1: Normal/no buttons pressed - Squiggly icon traction system active, DSC active, DTC inactive
Mode 2: Squiggly icon button pressed - Squiggly icon traction system deactivated, DTC activated, DSC still active
Mode 3: Press and hold squiggly icon button - All systems off (squiggly icon system/DTC/DSC)

haha Sorry to carry on with this.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 11:45 PM   #22
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
This sounds right.... so why does pressing and holding the DSC button then place you back in Comfort Mode (from Sport+) when you want to be sporty??
Does it? The only thing I noticed is that when turning all tractions systems back on it puts me back in comfort mode. Initially activating DTC or deactivating DSC totally does not appear to change my driving mode, unless it's doing it behind the scenes and I didn't notice, but nothing pops up on the screen until I turn everything back on.

Sport+ appears to be the same as being in sport and hitting the traction off button once.
Appreciate 0