F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > 335i vs 335i xDrive -Performance Difference?
proTUNING Freaks
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
theinfamousdrew
I'm The Captain Now
theinfamousdrew's Avatar
376
Rep
1,658
Posts

Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
335i vs 335i xDrive -Performance Difference?

Hey guys, I have been searching for an alpine white 335i M sport for weeks and found a 335i xDrive.

I know they have a different suspension which can be fixed with springs or coilovers.
Is there any difference in performance between the two?

Would the sport suspension from a RWD fit on the AWD?


Thanks
__________________


Turn on. Tune in. Drop out.
IG: @Atomic.M5


Last edited by theinfamousdrew; 03-23-2014 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
Alpine435i
Banned
24
Rep
393
Posts

Drives: 435i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Not this again.

Those fixated on magazine-test 0-60 MPH figures will think the xDrive is faster and that's that. Those with practical, real-world knowledge of RWD vs. AWD configurations of the same platform know that the RWD version will always be faster in any test of acceleration if you remove the AWD's <10 MPH traction advantage.

That's really the extent of the argument. Furthermore, anyone thinking the xDrive has a handling advantage should be ignored.
Appreciate 2
      03-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
theinfamousdrew
I'm The Captain Now
theinfamousdrew's Avatar
376
Rep
1,658
Posts

Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine435i View Post
Not this again.

Those fixated on magazine-test 0-60 MPH figures will think the xDrive is faster and that's that. Those with practical, real-world knowledge of RWD vs. AWD configurations of the same platform know that the RWD version will always be faster in any test of acceleration if you remove the AWD's <10 MPH traction advantage.

That's really the extent of the argument. Furthermore, anyone thinking the xDrive has a handling advantage should be ignored.
Sorry to create a new thread but all the info I could find was on the suspension.
From what I gathered in those threads was that with a set of coilovers they would ride about the same.

I was wondering if there were any performance advantages in either direction.
With My 996TT, there was certainly a cornering advantage because of the AWD system. It would really pull you through the corners.
Another advantage of the 996TT was the off the line traction, as long as it was dry out, there was zero to little wheel spin.
__________________


Turn on. Tune in. Drop out.
IG: @Atomic.M5

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
167
Rep
642
Posts

Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Richmond BC

iTrader: (0)

Well, I have a 335 Xdrive Msport. I live in the Pacific Northwest and we get a lot of rain so AWD adds a bit of a traction advantage in the wet. In real life conditions, I don't think you would notice a lot of difference in performance between RWD and AWD. The AWD is slightly heavier and understeers a bit more. Certainly, changing out the run-flats would make more of a change to a 335 regardless of its configuration - RWD or AWD.

You'll note the M3 and M4 are strictly RWD and run Michelin Pilot Sports. This is the configuration BMW engineers came up with for the best track performance.

Test drive both RWD and AWD and then you can decide for yourself. Make sure they are optioned the same. You would like the one with 19 inch summer performance tires with an MPPK and MPE far more than the one without.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
3676
Rep
6,677
Posts

Drives: X5 xDrive50i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (3)

Performance is a pretty vague word. What kind of "performance" differences are you hoping to compare more specifically?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 08:17 PM   #6
300hp
Brigadier General
281
Rep
3,619
Posts

Drives: X5 & 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon
Well, I have a 335 Xdrive Msport. I live in the Pacific Northwest and we get a lot of rain so AWD adds a bit of a traction advantage in the wet. In real life conditions, I don't think you would notice a lot of difference in performance between RWD and AWD. The AWD is slightly heavier and understeers a bit more. Certainly, changing out the run-flats would make more of a change to a 335 regardless of its configuration - RWD or AWD.

You'll note the M3 and M4 are strictly RWD and run Michelin Pilot Sports. This is the configuration BMW engineers came up with for the best track performance.

Test drive both RWD and AWD and then you can decide for yourself. Make sure they are optioned the same. You would like the one with 19 inch summer performance tires with an MPPK and MPE far more than the one without.
+1

I got the xdrive with PPK, MPE and 19 inch staggered summers. 342hp and traction on all 4 wheels off the line, through the curve, rolling starts etc. Power everywhere.

Traction for the win
__________________
EBII 2014 335i xDrive
335HP, Sport AT, 19" Wheels, MPE, Prem, Tech, Cold, HK, Driver Assist & DH pkgs

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
300hp
Brigadier General
281
Rep
3,619
Posts

Drives: X5 & 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Well, I have a 335 Xdrive Msport. I live in the Pacific Northwest and we get a lot of rain so AWD adds a bit of a traction advantage in the wet. In real life conditions, I don't think you would notice a lot of difference in performance between RWD and AWD. The AWD is slightly heavier and understeers a bit more. Certainly, changing out the run-flats would make more of a change to a 335 regardless of its configuration - RWD or AWD.

You'll note the M3 and M4 are strictly RWD and run Michelin Pilot Sports. This is the configuration BMW engineers came up with for the best track performance.

Test drive both RWD and AWD and then you can decide for yourself. Make sure they are optioned the same. You would like the one with 19 inch summer performance tires with an MPPK and MPE far more than the one without.
Hey, just noticed you have Akra

Nice
__________________
EBII 2014 335i xDrive
335HP, Sport AT, 19" Wheels, MPE, Prem, Tech, Cold, HK, Driver Assist & DH pkgs

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 09:28 PM   #8
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
United_States
757
Rep
3,674
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
+1

I got the xdrive with PPK, MPE and 19 inch staggered summers. 342hp and traction on all 4 wheels off the line, through the curve, rolling starts etc. Power everywhere.

Traction for the win
What mods did you make to get this much power?
__________________
Kevin

2020 Z4 M40i - 2019 Chevy Suburban 4X4 RST 420BHP - 2013 135is Cab 6MT/JB4 - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra MK-IV 5MT BUILD LOG
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 10:01 PM   #9
300hp
Brigadier General
281
Rep
3,619
Posts

Drives: X5 & 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
+1

I got the xdrive with PPK, MPE and 19 inch staggered summers. 342hp and traction on all 4 wheels off the line, through the curve, rolling starts etc. Power everywhere.

Traction for the win
What mods did you make to get this much power?
I am just going by the HP rating of the Canadian 335i mperformance edition. It's got PPK and MPE. It's rated 342hp so by deduction mine should also be the same.
__________________
EBII 2014 335i xDrive
335HP, Sport AT, 19" Wheels, MPE, Prem, Tech, Cold, HK, Driver Assist & DH pkgs

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #10
PabloK
Lieutenant Colonel
PabloK's Avatar
United_States
464
Rep
1,778
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousdrew View Post
Sorry to create a new thread but all the info I could find was on the suspension.
From what I gathered in those threads was that with a set of coilovers they would ride about the same.

I was wondering if there were any performance advantages in either direction.
With My 996TT, there was certainly a cornering advantage because of the AWD system. It would really pull you through the corners.
Another advantage of the 996TT was the off the line traction, as long as it was dry out, there was zero to little wheel spin.
Don't be sorry man, this is what a forum is for... that guy needs to relax.

The RWD is probably faster on the track but for everyday driving I would prefer x-drive. Slick wet roads with patches of sand here in MN... I feel more comfortable having all wheel drive.

Also, if you get X-drive, make sure you get the DHP.
__________________
2014 F30 335i / 2014 F31 328d / 2014 F22 m235i
2019 G05 5.0 / 2012 E70 X5 50i / 2007 X5 3.0is
2011 e93 M3 / 2009 E60 M5 / 2004 E46 M3
2017 Alpina B6
2019 GMC AT4
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #11
ellesyangz
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: bmw
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: dd

iTrader: (0)

This is the configuration BMW engineers came up with for the best track performance.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #12
Alpine435i
Banned
24
Rep
393
Posts

Drives: 435i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellesyangz View Post
This is the configuration BMW engineers came up with for the best track performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #13
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
167
Rep
642
Posts

Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Richmond BC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Hey, just noticed you have Akra

Nice
Yes, it was an expensive indulgence but it really does sound good! It pops bigtime on upshifts at redline - just never get tired of that. Put it on a couple of weeks after I got the MPPK.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #14
tturedraider
Colonel
tturedraider's Avatar
998
Rep
2,712
Posts

Drives: 2006 Sonora E90 330i sport pkg
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, Edgewater (via Texas & Tennessee)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousdrew View Post
Hey guys, I have been searching for an alpine white 335i M sport for weeks and found a 335i xDrive.

I know they have a different suspension which can be fixed with springs or coilovers.
Is there any difference in performance between the two?

Would the sport suspension from a RWD fit on the AWD?


Thanks
You've been looking for weeks. You could have ordered exactly what you want by now. If I lived in NC there's no way I'd buy an xDrive just because I couldn't find a RWD on the lot that I liked. I'd order. That's my suggestion to you.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #15
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
3676
Rep
6,677
Posts

Drives: X5 xDrive50i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Yes, it was an expensive indulgence but it really does sound good! It pops bigtime on upshifts at redline - just never get tired of that. Put it on a couple of weeks after I got the MPPK.
Please. Please! Do you have a video clip? I'm agonizing between the Akrapovic and MPE. A real life video would help.


Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 05:12 PM   #16
300hp
Brigadier General
281
Rep
3,619
Posts

Drives: X5 & 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Yes, it was an expensive indulgence but it really does sound good! It pops bigtime on upshifts at redline - just never get tired of that. Put it on a couple of weeks after I got the MPPK.
Please. Please! Do you have a video clip? I'm agonizing between the Akrapovic and MPE. A real life video would help.


+1
Got MPE instead, don't have the car yet. If I could spare more money I would have gone for Akra, no doubt
__________________
EBII 2014 335i xDrive
335HP, Sport AT, 19" Wheels, MPE, Prem, Tech, Cold, HK, Driver Assist & DH pkgs

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #17
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
167
Rep
642
Posts

Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Richmond BC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i View Post
Please. Please! Do you have a video clip? I'm agonizing between the Akrapovic and MPE. A real life video would help.


Take a look through this thread - all will be revealed!

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...ight=akrapovic

Sorry for the thread hijack - I will be go away now.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 06:01 AM   #18
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
3676
Rep
6,677
Posts

Drives: X5 xDrive50i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Take a look through this thread - all will be revealed!

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...ight=akrapovic

Sorry for the thread hijack - I will be go away now.

Thanks! The Akra sounds nice, but not twice as good as the MPE (to me at least). I haven't been able to hear it in person or hear any high def videos of the exhaust once it has been broken in. So far it looks like I'm going with the MPE.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 06:03 AM   #19
theinfamousdrew
I'm The Captain Now
theinfamousdrew's Avatar
376
Rep
1,658
Posts

Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
Since we are totally off subject now, does the oem exhaust have ///M stamped in the exhaust tips or is that only the MPE?
__________________


Turn on. Tune in. Drop out.
IG: @Atomic.M5

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #20
300hp
Brigadier General
281
Rep
3,619
Posts

Drives: X5 & 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousdrew
Since we are totally off subject now, does the oem exhaust have ///M stamped in the exhaust tips or is that only the MPE?
Lol, we did go off topic but you learnt something new right.

No only the MPE gets the ///M logo

If you are getting the msport I would recommend you get the MPE or any other exhaust for that matter, the chrome on the a msport exhaust is difficult to maintain.
__________________
EBII 2014 335i xDrive
335HP, Sport AT, 19" Wheels, MPE, Prem, Tech, Cold, HK, Driver Assist & DH pkgs

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #21
64-bit
Major
64-bit's Avatar
United_States
285
Rep
1,084
Posts

Drives: 19 Ford Raptor - On Order
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (1)

I live in Boston... And I also have had BMWs in the family since I was 13 years old... I also have owned several BMWs and 2 E90 335i prior my F30 335i, and here is my take:

2007 E90 335i RWD - Even my wife said DON'T SELL IT PLEASE, that car is soo much fun to drive!

2008 E90 335i AWD - My wife "That car fells so heavy, no sport feeling, just power"

My point of view, yes AWD can be faster if you are on a track and if you are doing drag race to another 335i RWD, but at end most of us only drives city / highway. Let me tell you, the feeling of a RWD does not compare!

Why do you thing that M3 and M4 are only available on RWD, because the way they drive, not because 0-60.

What is fair... Magazines should be comparing:

335i RWD with Summer ties & stagger rims
vs
335i AWD all seasons tires

On a HOT great summer day... Also, since your are saving that 2K on the xDrive, install MPPK on your 335i RWD and test against the xDrive and let us know the results.

Trust me, with my 335i RWD & MPPK I can beat any xDrive on summer... now in the other hand... Who wants to drag race on a 20F and below weather? On those days I drive my 2012 Civic.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #22
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
3676
Rep
6,677
Posts

Drives: X5 xDrive50i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (3)

^

Now that's a bad practical joke!


Looks like a backyard project R8 replica.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST