E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Shock installation question and Koni FSD experience

04-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
BP3i7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92

Shock installation question and Koni FSD experience

Hey guys, not sure if anyone can help with this answer, but I recently install the Koni FSD, and the thread is way too high in the front shocks where it extends pass the upper strut mount and the dust cover can no longer fit. I asked the Koni guys and they said it has never been reported that happens for a Koni FSD. I don't think I have forgotten anything, but if I did, it would be number 7 & 8 on the diagram below:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...16&hg=31&fg=10

Would that be an issue for the future if that wasn't installed?

My experience with the Koni FSD is that I love it! That's why I don't really want to mess with the installation anymore if it wont cause problems. I was reading others saying that the shocks were "soft"? and not sporty enough. I dont have the same feel at all, I think the original shocks felt more comfortable than this, but I love this a lot more. Everything feels tighter, but this could be because I was comparing it to old shocks. I no longer have the problem on the freeway where when I drive over a line of connecting road, the small bump would make the steering wheel feel like it has lost control for a millisecond. This new shock makes it feel like I'm always connected to the road, and it has gave the steering wheel the tighter feeling I was looking for. I can't say I would recommend it if you have really bad roads though, because I think the original shock would handle it better (but I dont have experience on this as I bought it used!). SO if you like the feel of being connected to the road without it being too aggressive, I definitely recommend them! Works good as daily driver and good for high speed driving...hope this helps someone make their decision!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

I can't click the link on my phone for some reason but I've seen this happen when people forget to install the plate in the strut mount. It is designed to space the strut a little bit and keep dirt/crud out of the bearings in the mount, so you definitely want it in there. Did you see a big thing that looks like a big washer on the ground after the install? Sometimes it gets stuck to the old parts because it is covered in grease.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
I agree with your assessment on the FSD. I really like my FSD's and the ride is mostly composed and I love how they tighten up on sweeping curves in the road.

Though, mine are a bit older now, so I can say that it will eventually start to feel a bit floaty when you are driving at a high speed and hit a significant bump in the road. Other than that, I don't have any issues with the struts.
      04-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
BP3i7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
I can't click the link on my phone for some reason but I've seen this happen when people forget to install the plate in the strut mount. It is designed to space the strut a little bit and keep dirt/crud out of the bearings in the mount, so you definitely want it in there. Did you see a big thing that looks like a big washer on the ground after the install? Sometimes it gets stuck to the old parts because it is covered in grease.
I definitely didn't forget the plate..the picture is for a Dust protection collar and a washer, both are under $2. Those are the only two things where I cannot see without taking out the strut, whether they are there or not. I also threw out everything after I was done :P
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #5
BP3i7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong77 View Post
I agree with your assessment on the FSD. I really like my FSD's and the ride is mostly composed and I love how they tighten up on sweeping curves in the road.

Though, mine are a bit older now, so I can say that it will eventually start to feel a bit floaty when you are driving at a high speed and hit a significant bump in the road. Other than that, I don't have any issues with the struts.
How many miles do you have on your FSDs before it got floaty? I hope they last decently long, because I really like it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 09:25 PM   #6
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
I'm at about 15k miles on the FSD's. Please don't interpret what I said as in the shocks are blown, but they do exibit some float when hitting bigger bumps at high speeds. It was more or less a gradual process, that I didn't notice until I road in a car with new struts.
      04-29-2014, 11:27 PM   #7
gzim335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Garage List
2007/1 e90 335i  [2.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong77
I'm at about 15k miles on the FSD's. Please don't interpret what I said as in the shocks are blown, but they do exibit some float when hitting bigger bumps at high speeds. It was more or less a gradual process, that I didn't notice until I road in a car with new struts.
The floating feel could be from a bad alignment.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzim335 View Post
The floating feel could be from a bad alignment.
Well, the "floating feel" could be from a lot of things, but as jwong77 mentioned the FSD shocks/struts don't feel "new" forever. I've read that a lot about these dampers; especially when you throw lowering springs on 'em.
Appreciate 0