Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-30-2015, 01:03 PM   #441
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
How many grandma's drive Corvettes?

I agree there is a perception that exists towards Corvette drivers, but who the hell cares? If it's a good car, and you enjoy driving it, buy the damn thing!

I will say that conversely, there is the perception that many BMW M owners are arrogant douchebags, who buy their car because of the cache and perceived status associated with owning a BMW.

Yet if I had the garage space, I would certainly own a BMW M4, irrespective of the perceptions other people had of me.

Perceptions shouldn't mean jack shit when it comes to buying a driver's car. If they matter to someone, it's indicative of a shallow personality more than anything else.
I have recently seen three and when I have been invited to the C7 launch track events it was littered with Corvette guys and older women thinking they were special.

On that note people hate BMW drivers too and there is a stigma in any enthusiast car but Corvette Guy is the worst I can think of right now. Porsche guys get it too. They get the small penis thing a lot and that is sad.

I don't judge people on there cars. You like what you like, in food, sex, women, and cars.
Appreciate 2
      04-30-2015, 02:08 PM   #442
rymiller73
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

M4....no Brainer
      05-01-2015, 09:16 AM   #443
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
I have recently seen three and when I have been invited to the C7 launch track events it was littered with Corvette guys and older women thinking they were special.

On that note people hate BMW drivers too and there is a stigma in any enthusiast car but Corvette Guy is the worst I can think of right now. Porsche guys get it too. They get the small penis thing a lot and that is sad.

I don't judge people on there cars . You like what you like, in food, sex, women, and cars.
You should reread your own post...you are judging a whole bunch of people because of their car choice...
      05-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #444
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
You should reread your own post...you are judging a whole bunch of people because of their car choice...
I re-read his post several times. I don't think he was making a judgement on anyone, rather reporting the stigma's attached to certain owners that he has personally observed and concluding how unfortunate it was.

But who knows, just giving him the benefit of the doubt

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 09:51 AM   #445
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post
I re-read his post several times. I don't think he was making a judgement on anyone, rather reporting the stigma's attached to certain owners that he has personally observed and concluding how unfortunate it was.

But who knows, just giving him the benefit of the doubt

Quote:
That statement sounded very judgmental to me, but who knows....
      05-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #446
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

Do you guys really make car purchases based on how others will perceive you? When I purchased my STi I had a lot of criticism from people of how it will make me look and what people will think about me etc, granted I was much younger then, but even now I wouldn't mind having that car. I base a purchase on overall package, not what some peoplewill think when I go through the drive through at McDonald's. But what you like
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 11:14 AM   #447
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
That statement sounded very judgmental to me, but who knows....
I wasn't judging anyone. I make jokes about Corvette Guys but I also call myself another BMW douche. Stigmas, and prejudice partially exist because people get offended by them. Take away its negative and it loses steam.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #448
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyM3 View Post
Do you guys really make car purchases based on how others will perceive you?
Definitely something i take into account. There are some informal guidelines in my workplace (ie dont show up to a client site in a 911 or better sports car) so a bright red C7 would be a frowned upon a bit.

I dont agree with judging based on cars but it happens and needs to be accounted for in the work setting.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #449
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Definitely something i take into account. There are some informal guidelines in my workplace (ie dont show up to a client site in a 911 or better sports car) so a bright red C7 would be a frowned upon a bit.

I dont agree with judging based on cars but it happens and needs to be accounted for in the work setting.

Oh that I agree with. I daily a Jetta S for this reason. Time and place for everything, but I'm saying purchasing a car or not purchasing a car because of certain stigmas like only old men drive vettes, or all BMW drivers are assholes.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 12:28 PM   #450
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post

This *exactly*. I can tell you from witnessing this myself..... Someone fairly new to the company, a younger guy (early 30's) showed up after bonus time with a brand new bold yellow Z06 and the CEO had a cow. Made a huge stink....it was a big big no-no. He said it wasn't purchased with bonus money, but with savings and family help....didn't matter.

It did affect his future with the company, unfortunately.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #451
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:
This *exactly*. I can tell you from witnessing this myself..... Someone fairly new to the company, a younger guy (early 30's) showed up after bonus time with a brand new bold yellow Z06 and the CEO had a cow. Made a huge stink....it was a big big no-no. He said it wasn't purchased with bonus money, but with savings and family help....didn't matter.

It did affect his future with the company, unfortunately.
That's pretty f*cked up if you ask me. Sounds like your CEO is a dick.

I work at a small company and if I showed up with that, my CEO bust my balls a bit but in the end I would have to let him drive it and he wouldn't have any problems.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2015, 12:53 PM   #452
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
That's pretty f*cked up if you ask me. Sounds like your CEO is a dick.
The benefits are fantastic....one of the best companies in the US to work for. Salary and bonus structure through the roof. If there is a bit of a cult of personality thing going on, it's well worth it.

When you have 2 kids going to boarding/private school, the benefits of compliance far outweigh the negatives.

When I first heard this, however, I had a similar reaction to yours. But hearing the justification for it, i've come to understand the point a bit more. He had warning, he simply ignored it. There were consequences.

Like every job/career there are positives and negatives. If I ever bought a C7 in bold yellow, I just wouldn't drive it to work

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #453
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:
The benefits are fantastic....one of the best companies in the US to work for. Salary and bonus structure through the roof. If there is a bit of a cult of personality thing going on, it's well worth it.

When you have 2 kids going to boarding/private school, the benefits of compliance far outweigh the negatives.

When I first heard this, however, I had a similar reaction to yours. But hearing the justification for it, i've come to understand the point a bit more. He had warning, he simply ignored it. There were consequences.

Like every job/career there are positives and negatives. If I ever bought a C7 in bold yellow, I just wouldn't drive it to work
I agree with you on that point.

But also, if the guy was warned and he chose to ignore, then that is a different situation. Makes it comical in a way
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #454
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:

Agreed!

M3 in a "normal" color is perfect for a daily in my opinion. It can be "just a 3 series" and blend in when needed
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #455
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Quote:

I don't judge people on there cars. You like what you like, in food, sex, women, and cars.
Agreed on all accounts that there's a stereotype for any marque, but disagree about Vette owners. Want to see special, go to a Ferrari event.

BMW owners are douchey assholes, Porsche...small weiners, Vette...old people, and so on. Who cares
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #456
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
Agreed on all accounts that there's a stereotype for any marque, but disagree about Vette owners. Want to see special, go to a Ferrari event.

BMW owners are douchey assholes, Porsche...small weiners, Vette...old people, and so on. Who cares
That is so true. Got one worse Ferrari T-Shirt owners. Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 10:26 PM   #457
WVUDrJay
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright
Quote:
How many grandma's drive Corvettes?

I agree there is a perception that exists towards Corvette drivers, but who the hell cares? If it's a good car, and you enjoy driving it, buy the damn thing!

I will say that conversely, there is the perception that many BMW M owners are arrogant douchebags, who buy their car because of the cache and perceived status associated with owning a BMW.

Yet if I had the garage space, I would certainly own a BMW M4, irrespective of the perceptions other people had of me.

Perceptions shouldn't mean jack shit when it comes to buying a driver's car. If they matter to someone, it's indicative of a shallow personality more than anything else.

As a married 42 year old, at this point in life, I could live with a small penis if I could get a 2016 GT3.
      05-01-2015, 10:35 PM   #458
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUDrJay View Post
As a married 42 year old, at this point in life, I could live with a small penis if I could get a 2016 GT3.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #459
bravm3pwr
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Best quote I've seen on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 06:09 PM   #460
carsrmyvice
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
AMEN
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 10:14 PM   #461
Electron mike
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, GT4

Having owned both a C7 Z51, C7 Z06, and now an F80 M3 I would have to recommend the M4!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-11-2015, 10:45 PM   #462
///M3Owner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron mike
Having owned both a C7 Z51, C7 Z06, and now an F80 M3 I would have to recommend the M4!
You prefer the M4 over the z06?