F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > IDrive/Bluetooth/Nav issues
ARMA SPEED

07-09-2022, 07:16 PM   #1
abar85
Rep
Drives: 2015 Bmw 428 GC

IDrive/Bluetooth/Nav issues

Longtime lurker here with a problem. Hope someone can help.
About a week ago my 2015 428 GC, started experiencing some weird issues. I was on a long drive, using the center console usb to charge(like always) and listening to a podcast. It disconnected, and I started hearing a clicking sound behind my dash control. I stopped at a gas station and after I left, my reverse camera was not working. A few tries
Later and shutting car off and camera worked. My phone will connect and work for calls but not media. It won't connect the phone book and it only shows the number on the display but no names. Also the steering wheel call button will not pull up the call log on the dashboard display. The nav won't start either. It will only sit stuck on the "starting navigation" page. If you go to Media to try to select usb or Bluetooth it will not show you to select them. They are grayed out and aux is showing as selectable. I have tried rebooting but neither of the reboot sequences work. I have also made sure that the media and phone option are selected for Bluetooth. So it's not that. I've owned the car since 2017 so It's not new user error. Really stumped here. Don't know where to start.

Any help would be amazing
Thanks In advance guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 07:57 PM   #2
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by abar85 View Post
About a week ago my 2015 428 GC, started experiencing some weird issues. I was on a long drive, using the center console usb to charge(like always) and listening to a podcast. It disconnected, and I started hearing a clicking sound behind my dash control. I stopped at a gas station and after I left, my reverse camera was not working. A few tries
Later and shutting car off and camera worked. My phone will connect and work for calls but not media. It won't connect the phone book and it only shows the number on the display but no names. Also the steering wheel call button will not pull up the call log on the dashboard display. The nav won't start either. It will only sit stuck on the "starting navigation" page. If you go to Media to try to select usb or Bluetooth it will not show you to select them. They are grayed out and aux is showing as selectable. I have tried rebooting but neither of the reboot sequences work. I have also made sure that the media and phone option are selected for Bluetooth. So it's not that. I've owned the car since 2017 so It's not new user error. Really stumped here. Don't know where to start.

Thanks In advance guys.
A clicking sound could be a bad hard drive in your head unit.

Try pulling codes with something like Bimmerlink to see if there's any codes being thrown.
Appreciate 1
abar8515.50
      07-09-2022, 08:02 PM   #3
abar85
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
Quote:

Thanks In advance guys.

Try pulling codes with something like Bimmerlink to see if there's any codes being thrown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
Quote:

Thanks In advance guys.

I didn't even think of that. Good idea.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 02:28 AM   #4
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

It’s almost certainly the hard drive. My wife’s X3 with NBT did similar - nav wouldn’t load, phone didn’t show contact names and it would reboot occasionally. Her car is a 2013 and the drive died back in 2020. A drive lasting 7 years is pretty good in its own right, let alone in the fairly harsh environment of a car.

You have two options - either replace the head unit or replace the hard drive.

Replacing hard drive in NBT (if this is what you have) is possible but not straightforward. If you’re clued up with Linux etc then you’re in a good position to start with.

Unfortunately it’s not possible to put an SSD in an NBT unit which is a shame because that would be a great solution.
Appreciate 2
eff32fl1085.50
abar8515.50
      07-11-2022, 02:50 PM   #5
abar85
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zheez View Post
It’s almost certainly the hard drive. My wife’s X3 with NBT did similar - nav wouldn’t load, phone didn’t show contact names and it would reboot occasionally. Her car is a 2013 and the drive died back in 2020. A drive lasting 7 years is pretty good in its own right, let alone in the fairly harsh environment of a car.

Replacing hard drive in NBT (if this is what you have) is possible but not straightforward. If you’re clued up with Linux etc then you’re in a good position to start with.

Unfortunately it’s not possible to put an SSD in an NBT unit which is a shame because that would be a great solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zheez View Post
It's almost certainly the hard drive. My wife's X3 with NBT did similar - nav wouldn't load, phone didn't show contact names and it would reboot occasionally. Her car is a 2013 and the drive died back in 2020. A drive lasting 7 years is pretty good in its own right, let alone in the fairly harsh environment of a car.

Replacing hard drive in NBT (if this is what you have) is possible but not straightforward. If you're clued up with Linux etc then you're in a good position to start with.

Unfortunately it's not possible to put an SSD in an NBT unit which is a shame because that would be a great solution.

Yea i think you guys are right. Can I just get a reman replacement that doesn't require coding ?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 07:14 PM   #6
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Quote:
Yea i think you guys are right. Can I just get a reman replacement that doesn't require coding ?
You can buy a replacement hard drive but you have to format it in a specific way. Refer to the post below for details. It helps if you have Unix/Linux experience. From what I can tell, you will lose your map data, digital manuals and Gracenote data. I've never done this myself and haven't researched it so not sure how to restore the data if the old drive isn't totally dead and some data is recoverable. Apparently Esys flashing of the head unit should restore them aside from the maps.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1935383
Appreciate 0