F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > EntryNav 6.5 to 8.8 inch + RoadTop MMI CarPlay upgrade is perfect thank you all!!
Studio RSR

10-17-2023, 10:48 AM   #1
MikeyMondy
Bimmer Boy
Rep
Drives: '16 328iX N26

EntryNav 6.5 to 8.8 inch + RoadTop MMI CarPlay upgrade is perfect thank you all!!

I've been reading here for the past several months and I just wanted to thank you all collectively for your pervious posts that helped me buy and install a pretty perfect system!

I'm happy to answer any questions as I discovered a few more things that might be helpful.

I had a 2016 LCI 328i with EntryNav and a 6.5 inch display , and HiFi sound system.
(This is for people like me who didn't know this a few months ago- A head unit with no navigation, and the iDrive version that's after CIC but before NBT Evo, in other words, not upgradable to CarPlay on it's own.)

Suppllies
I bought the following...
- OEM 8.8 inch display from Ebay serial 9387453024 $260 (Make sure you buy a model with compatible voltage)
- Road Top MMI box $229 https://roadtop.com/products/bmw-nbt...reless-carplay (This is the same physical unit as Bimmer-Tech, Andream, etc.) The software is slightly different, but the CarPlay functionality is the same, and the price of this one is great. I've asked RoadTop 2 questions, and got prompt replies by email. I bought it directly from their website.)
- OBD Link MX+ $139 (This is more than most need for coding, but I wanted it for other vehicles and purposes.) https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-mxp/
I used some plastic pry tools which helped get things apart, and small pliers to gently pull the connectors apart.

Install
For installation I followed the Kies Auto installation video for the most part. I liked how in another video he put down lots of microfiber cloths so that when things hand down nothing gets scratched.

The RoadTop video was also helpful.

Coding
After removing the trim, I started with the screen swap and coding.
In BimmerCode expert mode I changed values to the following
HU_NBT > 3000 HMI > DISPLAY_SIZE_RESOLUTION = 8.8_1280x480
HU_NBT > 3001 EXBOX > DISPLAY_VARIANTE = breites_display

I was able to fit the MMI box easily under the head unit, with the wifi antenna to the right of it. I snaked the usb cable down so that it pops out next to the passenger seat. I set the dip switches to the 1,2,3 down, the rest up. (#3 becuase I upgraded the the larger screen)

I noticed that there was no green fiber optic cable as part of the wiring harness. If you have that you have to swap it over to the new harness. The RoadTop instructions seemed to indicate I would need to run an included aux cable to my actual aux input under the armrest. This was not the case.

Once everything was back together I set my iPhone up for CarPlay. It was easy but my biggest issue was getting all the volumes even. Here are the settings I needed to change...

In iDrive
Multimedia > External Devices > Aux Front (Press the controller in once more to access the volume of the aux input. Mine is set at 15 to match the CD and Radio inputs, which can not be changed)
Some people have said that the sound quality is not as good from the MMI box. But I find that is because the volume of the aux front input is initially so low. Once it's turned up to match everything else, it sounds as good as the other inputs.

In the MMI settings
Setup > Audio
Volume 15
Music volume 9
Speech volume 9
Alert volume 10 (IMPORTANT! This controls the level of Siri's voice and Nav Directions)

I also adjusted the EQ to add a little lower bass that was missing from the underseat subs, and lowered some mids that are too forward from the center speaker. Everything else is the same.

Increasing "Aux Front" Volume

Adjusting MMI volume for louder Nav Alerts

Adjusting EQ

I assigned my number keys on the head unit to 1 - aux front input, 2 - CD, 3 - FM presets
Now I can use Apple Maps, Waze or Google Maps and have my choice of music from my phone, CD or FM radio. Of course you can only hear Nav instructions when on the aux input.

I also loaded up a bench of movies and TV shows on a USB stick and I leave it in the USB cable. Now I can watch something when waiting in the car, without streaming or using my internet.

Switching back and forth is easy just by holding the menu button. It's very fast and responsive. If you've used wireless CarPlay in an OEM car, it's as good as any I've tried. There's a slight lag, but all have that. It's quite minor.

Sound quality is great and since the OEM mic is used for Siri and calls, it's very responsive and callers say they can hear me very clearly.

My steering wheel buttons work for triggering Siri, volume, AND the scroll wheel moves around the CarPlay interface. Pushing it in presses the selected button. I LOVE this!!!

If you have any questions about my upgrade, please don't hesitate to ask. I couldn't have done it without this community.

Last edited by MikeyMondy; 10-17-2023 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
fe7565552.50
      10-17-2023, 02:42 PM   #2
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Great write up!

If you have the latest Road Top MMI hardware with the latest firmware (B2R173 or higher), you should be able to use Bluetooth audio for every function instead of the analog AUX-IN. The audio quality is much better and resolves the phone call issues.

("Loudness" in the MMI Equalizer needs to drop to 0 or to at least -400)
      10-21-2023, 01:46 AM   #3
Dangy87
Italy
Rep
Drives: Bmw f31

Bmw f31 del 2018

Ciao anchÂ’io vorrei sostituire display da 6,5 con 8.8 mi puoi aiutare?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 05:49 PM   #4
PhillipsL257
Registered
Rep
Drives: 435D (F32)

Great post. I have purchased one and looking to fit in the next couple days. This has really helped me out.

Bought mine directly from RoadTop on Aliexpress. Do you know if I will need to fit the Aux or will it connect via Bluetooth? Will the microphone also work via bluetooth?

Cheers,

L
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 01:54 PM   #5
Krenforum
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

If I may ask, so you first changed the display and did the coding, after that installed the mmi?

I am asking because I have same thing. 6.5 and I have installed mmi. Veen using it for about one year, now I would like to swap the 6.5 for 8.8. Althogh, now i cannot connect to headunit any more with bimmercode. After the mmi instalation..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 11:35 PM   #6
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krenforum View Post
If I may ask, so you first changed the display and did the coding, after that installed the mmi?

I am asking because I have same thing. 6.5 and I have installed mmi. Veen using it for about one year, now I would like to swap the 6.5 for 8.8. Althogh, now i cannot connect to headunit any more with bimmercode. After the mmi instalation..
You should be able to update the MCU version on your MMI that will allow you to use Bimmer code again. What is your MMI brand and CUST firmware version and MCU version? What type of head unit do you have?
      12-04-2023, 02:13 PM   #7
Krenforum
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

MMI brand is Emtronika:
https://emtronika.com/en/carplay-and...interface.html

MCU version: 21.6.7.116
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 02:16 AM   #8
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krenforum View Post
MMI brand is Emtronika:
https://emtronika.com/en/carplay-and...interface.html

MCU version: 21.6.7.116
Others with the Bimmercode or other programming blocked were successful with upgrading/downgrading to this MCU version:

MCU 21.09.13.122

on the first page of this thread:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929

Last edited by fe7565; 12-05-2023 at 11:28 PM..
Appreciate 0