F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Hit a nasty pothole...
ARMA SPEED

08-03-2015, 07:11 AM   #1
Lightning_Rider
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 328i xDrive

Hit a nasty pothole...

Hit a nasty pothole on Saturday night coming home and my two left tires exploded. Extremely frustrating because it would never have happened if I hadn't agreed to drive someone else home.

The tires are completely finished and because it was a Sunday I tried to chance it taking the car to Canadian Tire since they were one of the only places open and also because I can finance the tires there with 0 interest over 12 months.

It cost me $167.17 to tow the car there.

My original plan was to put the two right tires in the front and get some new ones for the back. But the guy says that it's dangerous to mix tire types (note that my current tires are new and that they have less than 10000 km on them) because of the all wheel drive system.

He says it'll be okay if he can find the same model of tire that I already have but says that it looks like it's a discontinued model. So he says most likely I'll have to buy 4 brand new tires.

Then he says if I do have to buy 4 new tires, I'll have to buy run flats again because that's what BMW recommends and that's what the wheels were built to carry. He says that if I put non run flats on there, that there's a danger that the tires could slip off the rim.

This all sounds ridiculous to me, at least the bit about run flats and sounds like he just wants me to buy a more expensive tires. What do you guys make of this ?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 07:55 AM   #2
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

What is the tread depth on your other two tires? Ultimately I wouldn't mix run-flats with non run-flats but there is no reason otherwise you couldn't just replace the two tires that are ruined. Also no reason you couldn't replace all of them with non run-flats. I had a similar situation where I hit a pothole and ruined 2 left tires. In my case the tires were very new and I replaced with 2 of the same tires. (2/32 of tread wear from new). Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 08:09 AM   #3
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

So much BS from "that guy"

The wheels were built to run run-flats.....what a crock. Go to someone who know what they're talking about.

If you have run-flats, why did you have your car towed?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
1987E30M3
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 & 325ic-F30 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post

The wheels were built to run run-flats.....what a crock. Go to someone who know what they're talking about.

He had to get his car towed because Run Flats are useless when you have a side wall blow out.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 08:27 AM   #5
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987E30M3 View Post
He had to get his car towed because Run Flats are useless when you have a side wall blow out.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...06&postcount=1

That depends ..... on lots of things.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 08:28 AM   #6
Daas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A British car

Mixing tires isn't recommended because different tires have different levels of grip and could be dangerous during an emergency maneuver. They could also have different noise level, stiffer or weaker side wall, different tread pattern, one set may perform better in rain, icy conditions, etc. At the end of the day, you can still do it if that's what you want to do.

The part about non-RFT's slipping of the wheels is BS. For fun, ask the guy what the difference is between RFT and non-RFT wheels.

If you can swing it, buy 4 new tires (RFT or non-RFT based on your budget). Then sell your other two tires on this forum. If you have room, then keep 1 or 2 of the old tires as spare, in case you hit more pot holes in the future. All the best.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 08:30 AM   #7
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning_Rider View Post
Hit a nasty pothole on Saturday night coming home and my two left tires exploded. Extremely frustrating because it would never have happened if I hadn't agreed to drive someone else home.

The tires are completely finished and because it was a Sunday I tried to chance it taking the car to Canadian Tire since they were one of the only places open and also because I can finance the tires there with 0 interest over 12 months.

My original plan was to put the two right tires in the front and get some new ones for the back. But the guy says that it's dangerous to mix tire types (note that my current tires are new and that they have less than 10000 km on them) because of the all wheel drive system.

He says it'll be okay if he can find the same model of tire that I already have but says that it looks like it's a discontinued model. So he says most likely I'll have to buy 4 brand new tires.

Then he says if I do have to buy 4 new tires, I'll have to buy run flats again because that's what BMW recommends and that's what the wheels were built to carry. He says that if I put non run flats on there, that there's a danger that the tires could slip off the rim.

This all sounds ridiculous to me, at least the bit about run flats and sounds like he just wants me to buy a more expensive tires. What do you guys make of this ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post

Perhaps, the tow can be financed as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 08:49 AM   #8
Lightning_Rider
Canada
Rep

Not sure of the exact thread depth but they were pretty new, under 10k km, they still looked pretty new too.

Yeah I had my car towed because while they are run flats, the noise the car was making when I was just slowly driving it out of my garage did not make it seem like a good idea to drive it all the way to Canadian Tire. The last thing I wanted was to risk damaging the wheel. Still hoping that the wheels and the ball joints have been spared...

Anyways, so they just called back and as I suspected, no one can seem to find the model of tire I currently have, so I'm going to just buy 4 new summer performance tires and sell the 2 run flats. Otherwise I'll be waiting around for days trying to find them and get them shipped to the service center.

I told the guy the model of tire I wanted (Michelin Pilot Super Sport) and he's like ahhh but you need run flat tires otherwise your tire will fall off the wheel. I'm like, BMW JUST told me over the phone that its perfectly fine to put non run flats. He's like ohhhhh, really you sure? Well I'll try to inquire and get back to you.

Friggin' amatures.

The 2 remaining tires are Continental 225 45 18 SSR Conti Pro Contact 91V if anyone's interested.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 08:53 AM   #9
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Oh shit, I better get the PSS's off my car quickly then

Seriously, what sort of muppets are they!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #10
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

I feel for ya man, our roads are such crap. I always feel like I'm on an obstacle course.

On a different note, not sure if Canadian Tire is a good place to take your BMW for anything. As you have just experienced...

In the future, keep in mind that BMW roadside assistance (free) will tow your car to any garage you want, not just the BMW dealer. Why? Because if this happens on a Sunday and the dealer is closed, what are they expecting you to do?

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 08:56 AM   #11
Livfast335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340 X-Drive

Canadian Tire.... doesn't surprise me Jonathan. They shove a bunch of uneducated kids to work to work there. I'd never go there to service a BMW....
2013 BMW 335i X-Drive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 09:01 AM   #12
Lightning_Rider
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB_123_99 View Post
I feel for ya man, our roads are such crap. I always feel like I'm on an obstacle course.

On a different note, not sure if Canadian Tire is a good place to take your BMW for anything. As you have just experienced...

In the future, keep in mind that BMW roadside assistance (free) will tow your car to any garage you want, not just the BMW dealer. Why? Because if this happens on a Sunday and the dealer is closed, what are they expecting you to do?

Best of luck!
Yeah I know, I was warned too haha but I took it there because everything else was closed and I had the financing option. That's the only reason. I figured I'd give them a chance... but next time I'll just go straight to the dealer.

And actually I did call BMW assist and they said they will only tow me to a BMW dealer. That's why I had to spring for my own towing. Have they towed you to a regular garage?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #13
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
... He says that if I put non run flats on there, that there's a danger that the tires could slip off the rim.

You might want to run with chains, just in case...

My Build Thread can be found HERE

Last edited by ronanz; 08-03-2015 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 09:04 AM   #14
Lightning_Rider
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livfast335 View Post
Canadian Tire.... doesn't surprise me Jonathan. They shove a bunch of uneducated kids to work to work there. I'd never go there to service a BMW....
Hahaha, yeah man. JP advised me not to go there too, but it's been an expensive month... I didn't feel like shelling out another $1000 or whatever its going to cost up front.

Anyways, I sympathize with you since your car's been in and out of the shop the past month... I just want her back !!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 09:16 AM   #15
Lightning_Rider
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
Oh shit, I better get the PSS's off my car quickly then

Seriously, what sort of muppets are they!
hahaha

The money swindling kind me thinks.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #16
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

Not that I'm advocating non run-flats, but there are A LOT of posters here, and on other forums, who have done that. I'm not sure I understand how they would "slip off". You may want to try another shop.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #17
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

Quote:
Yeah I know, I was warned too haha but I took it there because everything else was closed and I had the financing option. That's the only reason. I figured I'd give them a chance... but next time I'll just go straight to the dealer.

And actually I did call BMW assist and they said they will only tow me to a BMW dealer. That's why I had to spring for my own towing. Have they towed you to a regular garage?
Yes, they towed me to a local Pirelli shop that was open. They also gave me the same story that they only tow to the dealer. But it was a Sunday and I told them, OK you tow me to the dealer, it's closed so I leave the car there and then what? How do I get home?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Not that I'm advocating non run-flats, but there are A LOT of posters here, and on other forums, who have done that. I'm not sure I understand how they would "slip off". You may want to try another shop.
There is a lot of misunderstanding out there.

BMW use EH2 (extended hump) rims for run-flats, as the tires can run with zero pressure. The extended hump is to prevent a deflated run-flat demounting to the middle of the rim, (moving from the bead area). It is this added security being one reason run-flat tires are more difficult to remove and mount.

It is the run-flat tire that requires the upgraded rim, not the other way around, a non run-flat is more secure on the EH2 rim.

Just wish the tire shops grasped the technical requirements.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 2
      08-03-2015, 11:08 AM   #19
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRWS6 View Post
In my case the tires were very new and I replaced with 2 of the same tires. (2/32 of tread wear from new). Best of luck!
Exactly, as long as existing tire tread wear is within acceptable range (Porsche, Audi, and Subaru publish their requirements and all are right around 2/32 difference) you can replace just the damaged tire(s). And if they are further out you can always have the new ones shaved down to match. Not something you would do if the tires are worn already as taking a new tire and shaving it to 4/32 would be pretty silly.

There is some truth to the issue of replacing them with the same tire, this is obviously the best course. However, if they are no longer in production it is possible to replace them with tires that are identical in all other respects. If you match the tires for treadwear rating, load index, speed rating and obviously design (A/S, Ultra Summer, max summer, etc) and get replacements with the most similar tread design as well.

While the best choice might be to replace all 4 since they are discontinued, it is not a "requirement" as long as other factors can be met. Though I agree with Saad, now's a good time to replace the RFTs with non-RFTs and then just sell your two remaining RFTs to recoup a little cost.

Oh, and petition your local authorities to fix their pitiful roads.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 11:31 AM   #20
Lightning_Rider
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
There is a lot of misunderstanding out there.

BMW use EH2 (extended hump) rims for run-flats, as the tires can run with zero pressure. The extended hump is to prevent a deflated run-flat demounting to the middle of the rim, (moving from the bead area). It is this added security being one reason run-flat tires are more difficult to remove and mount.

It is the run-flat tire that requires the upgraded rim, not the other way around, a non run-flat is more secure on the EH2 rim.

Just wish the tire shops grasped the technical requirements.

HighlandPete
Ahh good info. Sounds like you should teach a thing or two to the Canadian Tires monkeys.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #21
Lightning_Rider
Canada
Rep

Montreal must have the WORST roads in the country.

Anyways, so in the end, I will be buying LivFast's wheels and tires. And I will mount my winter tires onto my existing wheels.

So I guess something good came out of this after all.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 11:56 AM   #22
Livfast335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340 X-Drive

Good thing you have a good friend
2013 BMW 335i X-Drive (retired)
Appreciate 0