F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 4G Combox-After Free Retrofit-Big ISSUES
Studio RSR

09-25-2017, 08:45 PM   #1
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
4G Combox-After Free Retrofit-Big ISSUES

All I am going to say is be warned and stay away from this no matter how tempting it is to change from 2G. I never had a single issue with my 2013 F30 until I gave in to the dealer after they told me to upgrade my combox to 4G free of charge.

It has been nothing but a huge issue. My BT doesnt work. Sometimes it does when it feels like it. No other device/phone will connect it just says connecting for ever. My phone connected today and It physically does not show under media or under phones, it just says no phones connected but I can take a call and it starts to stream music randomly. My radio reception is horrific, just plain TERRIBLE.

I attempted to fix the issue with the dealer 2 weeks ago, they kept the car over night and claimed they reset the entire combox. It worked for 4 days and it did the same crap. I am so pissed I did this free retrofit. And apparently I am not the only one having issues. I know ronanz here is having similar issues and I found more on bimmerfest on this link on the last page someone with an x5.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=934149&page=3
Anyone else have problems like this its becoming a huge PITA. It erases all coding and I have to redo it always. And ronanz has a case where his DME flash got locked after they did his upgrade.

Last edited by Jadar; 09-29-2017 at 08:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
flyguy27
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328I Sportline

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Unfortunate that you have problems. I had this retrofit done by my dealer a long time ago. Not a single issue. Everything works, no codings erased. Faster traffic info download on my nav.
Appreciate 1
Jadar1752.50
      09-26-2017, 12:14 PM   #3
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy27 View Post
Unfortunate that you have problems. I had this retrofit done by my dealer a long time ago. Not a single issue. Everything works, no codings erased. Faster traffic info download on my nav.
Id love fire them to just fix it correctly.
      09-27-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
torqueflite
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i xDrive Conv. (F33)

I wish the dealers offered a 4G/ATM upgrade to everyone. Despite the cost, I'd buy one just so I could retrofit an NBT-Evo system and still keep my Connected Drive services.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
cjsansom
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

No problems here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadar View Post
All I am going to say is be warned and stay away from this no matter how tempting it is to change from 2G.
I had my 2012 328i updated from 2G back in June and I have not been having any problems. The BMW REMOTE app now works with the car. The nice side benefit I feel I got out of the deal was the dealership updated all my ECU's to the latest iSTEP version. All of this was free of charge.
Appreciate 1
Rick4345471.50
      09-28-2017, 01:17 PM   #6
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Yet they screwed us 2014 and 2015 owners (most 2015's such as mine) and stuck us with slow 3G, a useless browser and no OTA updates....nice. And I thought Cadillac was bad!

Are you guys able to update MAPs within iDrive after the combox retrofit?

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 02:06 PM   #7
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
Yet they screwed us 2014 and 2015 owners (most 2015's such as mine) and stuck us with slow 3G, a useless browser and no OTA updates....nice. And I thought Cadillac was bad!

Im not even able to connect my phone let alone anything else. It?s at the dealer currently for the 2nd time resolving issue.

Interesting the dealer told me they don?t give a new combox just reprogram old one.
      09-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #8
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post

Im not even able to connect my phone let alone anything else. It?s at the dealer currently for the 2nd time resolving issue.

Interesting the dealer told me they don?t give a new combox just reprogram old one.
Sorry to hear:/ Guess this is is good thing that some aren't eligible. I hope they are able to resolve your issues very soon!

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 1
Jadar1752.50
      09-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #9
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

the tittle is misleading, this is not exactly a retrofit issue, its a "dealer" issue many people have gotten this done with no problem at all. It seems pretty clear that that dealership in particular didn't do your retrofit properly
      09-28-2017, 08:21 PM   #10
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
the tittle is misleading, this is not exactly a retrofit issue, its a "dealer" issue many people have gotten this done with no problem at all. It seems pretty clear that that dealership in particular didn't do your retrofit properly
Im not sure I follow what would a good title be?

They gave me a free retrofit and I have problems now I might add that they were pretty pushy with it instead of giving me a $300 optional gift card.

I dont know what they did or they screwed up they may very well have, I just know Im not the only one so theres definitely some issues in certain cars and I wanted to make others aware.
      09-29-2017, 08:05 AM   #11
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy27 View Post
Do you know if they actually changed any hardware at all? New com box? New antenna? I did some reading and it states that the antenna wire must be changed as well, not sure if they performed this but by the looks of it no. Yesterday they told me they did not even change the com box itself just do a free 4G software update. At this point I'd take my old 2G at least it worked fine.
      09-29-2017, 11:27 AM   #12
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Do you know if they actually changed any hardware at all? New com box? New antenna? I did some reading and it states that the antenna wire must be changed as well, not sure if they performed this but by the looks of it no. Yesterday they told me they did not even change the com box itself just do a free 4G software update. At this point I'd take my old 2G at least it worked fine.

Wait....what? I definitely received a new Combox...you should have as well as I believe (also, I could be incorrect) the hardware for 4g is different. In fact, I've read about a few instances in which a few members went through a few bad/incorrect boxes till they received one that worked...take a look at THIS thread.

Couple of things for clarification...I haven't had nor experienced issues as of yet as I drove car home and had DME removed for unlock the same day (turns out DME and bootloader were updated during re-flash)

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 1
Jadar1752.50
      09-29-2017, 07:36 PM   #13
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
Quote:

Wait....what? I definitely received a new Combox...you should have as well as I believe (also, I could be incorrect) the hardware for 4g is different. In fact, I've read about a few instances in which a few members went through a few bad/incorrect boxes till they received one that worked...take a look at THIS thread.

Couple of things for clarification...I haven't had nor experienced issues as of yet as I drove car home and had DME removed for unlock the same day (turns out DME and bootloader were updated during re-flash)

Ah damn my fault Ron I misunderstood your email. I thought you had issues as well apart from the dme being locked.

I?ll look at the link thanks.

But get his today my car still isn?t ready SA States it?s waiting on an engineering plan to resolve issue.
So to recap
1. 5 weeks ago I receive (so I thought 4g) combox
2. 2 weeks later i take it in again due to issues and it not working get it back only to have it go back to not functioning within 3 hours.
3. Yesterday 9/28/17 My car is still at the dealer with no resolution, and the kicker the SA proceeded to tell me its not covered and my car is not under warranty anymore. I flipped out. I still have a cpo good til 11/8/18 but they freely admit they fixed it and 2 hours later the com box malfunctioned again on them while they were testing it.

Why the hell would I even need a warranty coverage in the first place had my car not been screwed up! And they magically covered it 2 weeks ago without even uttering a word about it.
My gut feeling they FUBARD something and are trying to weasel their way out.
      09-30-2017, 08:37 AM   #14
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
I believe your fix is covered. They put it in and it wasn?t done right the first time.

Talk to everyone in the service department and the manager of the dealership. If that doesn?t work, tell them you?re calling BMWNA. If that doesn?t work while you?re there, get on the cell phone and call BMWNA right in front of them.

That will probably get their attention.

And remember, don?t be a bonehead while dealing with them. Sometimes being calm scares most people during a confrontation.
      09-30-2017, 08:46 AM   #15
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4345 View Post
I believe your fix is covered. They put it in and it wasn?t done right the first time.

Talk to everyone in the service department and the manager of the dealership. If that doesn?t work, tell them you?re calling BMWNA. If that doesn?t work while you?re there, get on the cell phone and call BMWNA right in front of them.

That will probably get their attention.

And remember, don?t be a bonehead while dealing with them. Sometimes being calm scares most people during a confrontation.
Yeah that?s great advice much appreciated. I?ve always dealt with the service department with a grain of salt but have been reluctant to leave bad reviews on the surveys because my buddy is the sales manager and he has taken care of my wife?s and my purchases and gave us fantastic deals. Their service department has always been junk though.

Thanks will indeed have BmwNA at the ready on cell, I don?t need this crap. I?ve been a long standing customer and after 5 purchases and about to make a 6th you would think the treatment would be a better experience.
      10-05-2017, 11:33 AM   #16
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Any news??
      10-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #17
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Any news??
Got I back yesterday they said this time com-box physically got replaced. They were happy to report 2 cell phones connected and are working. I took the car over and it failed again immediately. Only thing that connected was phones to use via Bluetooth. Media no go. Now they?re saying it?s my HUH head unit for the radio and it?s not covered under CPO.
Good times

I have a bimmer tech backup camera retrofit and it now shows no signal so I?m trying to figure out if ther is related but I don?t know how! I?m taking out the backup camera and going to see if that is interfering somehow. Dunno why it would it?s been in there for 2 years without issue.
      10-05-2017, 09:24 PM   #18
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Any news??
Got I back yesterday they said this time com-box physically got replaced. They were happy to report 2 cell phones connected and are working. I took the car over and it failed again immediately. Only thing that connected was phones to use via Bluetooth. Media no go. Now they?re saying it?s my HUH head unit for the radio and it?s not covered under CPO.
Good times

I have a bimmer tech backup camera retrofit and it now shows no signal so I?m trying to figure out if ther is related but I don?t know how! I?m taking out the backup camera and going to see if that is interfering somehow. Dunno why it would it?s been in there for 2 years without issue.
Time to make that phone call.
      10-05-2017, 09:26 PM   #19
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Any news??
Good times

To bmw NA?
      10-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #20
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Any news??
Good times

To bmw NA?
Yup
      10-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #21
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Any news??
Good times

To bmw NA?
Yup
Might be the only thing left to do. The fact that even the $50 that was charged to me ?under warranty? rework pisses me off. Why should I pay a cent for something they retrofitted and now can?t get it to work.
      10-06-2017, 06:07 PM   #22
turo329
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Sportline

No problems here. I suggest going to a different dealer. I have a 2012 and have had no issues.
Appreciate 0