F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Charge Pipe failure...again
GetBMWParts

12-02-2015, 02:58 AM   #133
tsims619
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Interesting... So 2 different customers from 2 different shop, and separate location got a charge pipe failure warrantied by mistake? And that both dealer fitted the bill? I guess unicorns do exist.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #134
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsims619
Interesting... So 2 different customers from 2 different shop, and separate location got a charge pipe failure warrantied by mistake? And that both dealer fitted the bill? I guess unicorns do exist.
This is their current claim and why I won't speak to the dealer directly anymore.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 11:44 AM   #135
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

7 pages, no wonder everyone thinks charge-pipes fail like a dropped glass bong.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 12:03 PM   #136
cptcrunch
Captain Crunch
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

I think its time we all leave Laurel BMW of Westmont some bad reviews on Yelp, Google, Autotrader, Cars, etc. I'm also repeating Patrick Womack, Steve Olsen, and James Randall at BMW of Westmont to make sure google picks up this thread.

Sorry you are dealing with this OP. If you have any lawyer friends, now is the time to talk with them.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #137
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Why isn't Dinan just replacing it?? What is the point of buying Dinan then??? I just don't understand why didn't they replaced it immediately, if you have to make a thousand calls and wait a month to get something fixed that's not a warranty, that's just you trying really hard to get your problem fixed and everybody else just sitting on their ass
      12-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #138
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz
Why isn't Dinan just replacing it?? What is the point of buying Dinan then??? I just don't understand why didn't they replaced it immediately, if you have to make a thousand calls and wait a month to get something fixed that's not a warranty, that's just you trying really hard to get your problem fixed and everybody else just sitting on their ass
Dinan supposedly would have covered it if the dealer tried to warranty it trough them when it broke. They refused. Now When trying to get the case reopened with the dealer they spend weeks doing nothing and coming back with lame ridiculous excuses. I just wish BMW or Dinan will stand up and just refund me what I was charged for the pipe (~$900).
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #139
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post
Dinan supposedly would have covered it if the dealer tried to warranty it trough them when it broke. They refused. Now When trying to get the case reopened with the dealer they spend weeks doing nothing and coming back with lame ridiculous excuses. I just wish BMW or Dinan will stand up and just refund me what I was charged for the pipe (~$900).
Someone needs to stand up and send you a cheque.. At this point I would post an open letter to Dinan and/or BMW and ask for an immediate response.

Mike
Appreciate 3
      12-02-2015, 08:56 PM   #140
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz
I asked about this week's ago....whether the dealership is claiming it's not their problem or not....isn't Dinan supposed to swoop in to take care of it under their parallel warranty?? If BMW won't cover it (which they're not), then Dinan's warranty "takes over".

Still not understanding the problem here (with Dinan). Dinan loves to advertise how "smooth" it is for the customer and how they're warranty takes care of any issues where the dealer won't cover. Isn't that EXACTLY what's happening here??
Appreciate 4
GTBrandon260.00
      12-02-2015, 11:16 PM   #141
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
I asked about this week's ago....whether the dealership is claiming it's not their problem or not....isn't Dinan supposed to swoop in to take care of it under their parallel warranty?? If BMW won't cover it (which they're not), then Dinan's warranty "takes over".

Still not understanding the problem here (with Dinan). Dinan loves to advertise how "smooth" it is for the customer and how they're warranty takes care of any issues where the dealer won't cover. Isn't that EXACTLY what's happening here??
Dinan_Engineering
Was wondering if any of you guys were watching this thread, just saw you appreciated the above.
Think you can help me out?
I was working with Joe Phillips before but since the dealership isn't cooperating at all, I don't know what to do, since Joe needed the dealership to contact him telling him the Dinantronics unit's increased boost is responsible for the pipe breakage.
Joe should have my info if he doesn't PM me please.

Last edited by cryptocar; 12-02-2015 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2015, 05:49 AM   #142
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post
I was working with Joe Phillips before but since the dealership isn't cooperating at all, I don't know what to do, since Joe needed the dealership to contact him telling him the Dinantronics unit's increased boost is responsible for the pipe breakage.
I still considering whether or not to add Dinan mods to this new car, watching how this unfolds will definitely weigh into that. Although I understand that they may not have been made aware of the issue at the time it occurred and that's certainly not their fault, they have now been brought into the situation since you've started pursuing (rightfully so) getting your money back for something that should have been covered by warranty and is a pretty common failure on vehicles running more boost. Additionally this POS dealership sells their products and it's become pretty clear this dealership,Laurel BMW of Westmont and AutoNation either doesn't know what they're doing (I tend to doubt that) or is engaged in a dishonest practice with it's customers. If the folks at Dinan cannot recognize how this kind of dealer hurts their brand by treating it's customers like dirt and not even notifying Dinan when there's been a part failure that could be due to their modifications and wasn't warrantied through the dealership, I'm certainly not going to throw down several thousands of dollars on power and suspension mods.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2015, 07:26 AM   #143
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
I still considering whether or not to add Dinan mods to this new car, watching how this unfolds will definitely weigh into that. Although I understand that they may not have been made aware of the issue at the time it occurred and that's certainly not their fault, they have now been brought into the situation since you've started pursuing (rightfully so) getting your money back for something that should have been covered by warranty and is a pretty common failure on vehicles running more boost. Additionally this POS dealership sells their products and it's become pretty clear this dealership,Laurel BMW of Westmont and AutoNation either doesn't know what they're doing (I tend to doubt that) or is engaged in a dishonest practice with it's customers. If the folks at Dinan cannot recognize how this kind of dealer hurts their brand by treating it's customers like dirt and not even notifying Dinan when there's been a part failure that could be due to their modifications and wasn't warrantied through the dealership, I'm certainly not going to throw down several thousands of dollars on power and suspension mods.
I was thinking on getting mine ecu flashed by eurocharged in toronto. Also having them install my DP,intercooler,chargepipes as well. With the price of dinan ecu and labour here, I could buy the DP,Intercooler and chargepipe and still have money left.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 08:33 AM   #144
tsims619
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Just like with everything, there is a process. I doubt OP can just all willy nilly contact dinan for a warranty claim without having the proper procedures handled at his local authorized dinan dealer. OP needed the the dealership to process the warranty claim up whether it be dinan or through bmw. Problem is that said dealer is not taking the proactive route to assist their clients and being the polar opposite of it. The breakdown in warranty ultimately is with the dealer and not any named company. IMHO
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 09:19 AM   #145
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsims619 View Post
Just like with everything, there is a process. I doubt OP can just all willy nilly contact dinan for a warranty claim without having the proper procedures handled at his local authorized dinan dealer. OP needed the the dealership to process the warranty claim up whether it be dinan or through bmw. Problem is that said dealer is not taking the proactive route to assist their clients and being the polar opposite of it. The breakdown in warranty ultimately is with the dealer and not any named company. IMHO
You saved me some typing so thanks for that. This is ultimately the issue here.

I have been following the thread and reporting back to the warranty department and my contact at the dealer but ultimately I don't have much more sway then that. The dealership ultimately is handling/handled this poorly.

Since we were never actually involved in any claims we have no direct information on the situation. We were not approached at all until 2 months after the charge pipe replacement. Everything we know is based off of what I read here or what warranty has told me through the dealer. Its all heresay. Without a warranty claim to BMW NA or to Dinan there really isn't much to do hence why the OP is trying to have the case re-opened.

There are a lot of oddities to this whole situation so commenting any further by me would just be conjecture and do everyone a disservice.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 09:51 AM   #146
Earthmaster
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 Austin Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
I was thinking on getting mine ecu flashed by eurocharged in toronto. Also having them install my DP,intercooler,chargepipes as well. With the price of dinan ecu and labour here, I could buy the DP,Intercooler and chargepipe and still have money left.
I'm probably going to do the same...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #147
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthmaster View Post
I'm probably going to do the same...
Hope to see you at BMWTrueNorth opener next summer! I'm planning to get everything done in the summer.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 10:02 AM   #148
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
Quote:
You saved me some typing so thanks for that. This is ultimately the issue here.

I have been following the thread and reporting back to the warranty department and my contact at the dealer but ultimately I don't have much more sway then that. The dealership ultimately is handling/handled this poorly.

Since we were never actually involved in any claims we have no direct information on the situation. We were not approached at all until 2 months after the charge pipe replacement. Everything we know is based off of what I read here or what warranty has told me through the dealer. Its all heresay. Without a warranty claim to BMW NA or to Dinan there really isn't much to do hence why the OP is trying to have the case re-opened.

There are a lot of oddities to this whole situation so commenting any further by me would just be conjecture and do everyone a disservice.
I get what is being said about a process, 2 month delay, etc, etc....but for the sake of customer experience and attracting new clientele, wouldn't Dinan be smart to "suck" this one up and just make the situation right for the customer? Then, let the battle ensue between the dealership (which is supposed to be a Dinan dealer) and Dinan?

It's this non-flexibility to work with customers on warranty items that causes the negativity toward Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 11:56 AM   #149
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
I get what is being said about a process, 2 month delay, etc, etc....but for the sake of customer experience and attracting new clientele, wouldn't Dinan be smart to "suck" this one up and just make the situation right for the customer? Then, let the battle ensue between the dealership (which is supposed to be a Dinan dealer) and Dinan?

It's this non-flexibility to work with customers on warranty items that causes the negativity toward Dinan.
It's not non-flexibility it is a business decision. Does it suck for this particular case. Yes. I agree with that personally on all levels. But, if a process is not followed then you are setting a precedent that you can not unwind. Especially one that is so vocalized on a public forum. What I keep reading comes down to "Dinan should just send XXX a $1000 check". Its an unrealistic expectation since a precedent will be set that you can just ask for money without going through the process and Dinan will pay you. "Sucking it up" would lead down a very very slippery path.

Again, you have to keep in mind we have no direct interaction of the situation so its a bunch of he said/she said at this point so just sending someone money is not exactly prudent. Warranty claims are reimbursing a dealer for services rendered, not sending a check to the end user.

To your earlier post... "isn't Dinan supposed to swoop in to take care of it under their parallel warranty?? If BMW won't cover it (which they're not), then Dinan's warranty "takes over"."

Dinan's warranty takes over when BMW denies a claim. BMW never denied a claim, in fact, no claim was ever submitted so who knows if they would have covered it or not. The dealer, not BMW, is the one that denied service. They simply took it into their own hands for whatever reason and never submitted a warranty claim to BMW or Dinan. I understand the frustration but the issue is with the dealer not BMW NA or Dinan. Without the dealer giving any information to BMW NA or Dinan neither of us can really do anything hence why the case is trying to be re-opened. I was hopeful that the BMW NA representative would have some more muscle than we do and force the issue but it appears that may not be the case as it sounds like that isn't getting much of anywhere either. In the grand scheme of things Dinan at a dealer only contributes to 1/2 a percent of sales in a year or some ridiculously small total percentage so we don't have a whole lot of sway on forcing an issue.

Vendors without incidental warranties have it so easy (or maybe I just perceive it that way). They don't have the political quagmire to wade through on all the related particulars so its easy to make a blanket statement. Something other then their own product breaks they can simply shrug their shoulders and say, "that sucks".

I will also say this again since it can't be repeated enough... There are a lot of oddities to this whole SPECIFIC situation so commenting any further by me would just be conjecture and do everyone a disservice.
Appreciate 3
Polo088161610.00
Poochie9104.50
      12-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #150
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
If the dealership is selling Dinan mods, especially if they are an authorized dealer and then treating their customers like this and not even informing Dinan when they deny the warranty claim and leaving the customer to cover it, yes that is a problem in the dealership. But if Dinan is then aware of such practices and continues to allow their products to be sold through them that's not the fault of the dealership any longer. Process followed or not.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 2
      12-03-2015, 12:24 PM   #151
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If the dealership is selling Dinan mods, especially if they are an authorized dealer and then treating their customers like this and not even informing Dinan when they deny the warranty claim and leaving the customer to cover it, yes that is a problem in the dealership. But if Dinan is then aware of such practices and continues to allow their products to be sold through them that's not the fault of the dealership any longer. Process followed or not.
Exactly, seems to me dinan only cares about money even if they say they don't.

If they really cared about business then they should know, going out of their way to help the customer will make the customer happy, thus him informing his friends saying it's a good company thus bringing in more customers thus increasing business.

This is a public forum, thousands of owners read this, and honestly as a customer who was thinking about future mods from dinan, I'm now going to drop their tune in favour of another as the price for what they offer, which isn't guaranteed (warranty) is too much.

I feel Dinan should actually give him a call to resolve this, as he's had barely any luck himself calling.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #152
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
This...if Dinan were smart, they'd pull their "Authorizion" and distance themselves from this dealer.

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2015, 02:08 PM   #153
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
It's not non-flexibility it is a business decision. Does it suck for this particular case. Yes. I agree with that personally on all levels. But, if a process is not followed then you are setting a precedent that you can not unwind. Especially one that is so vocalized on a public forum. What I keep reading comes down to "Dinan should just send XXX a $1000 check". Its an unrealistic expectation since a precedent will be set that you can just ask for money without going through the process and Dinan will pay you. "Sucking it up" would lead down a very very slippery path.
Dinan's warranty takes over when BMW denies a claim. BMW never denied a claim, in fact, no claim was ever submitted so who knows if they would have covered it or not. The dealer, not BMW, is the one that denied service. They simply took it into their own hands for whatever reason and never submitted a warranty claim to BMW or Dinan. I understand the frustration but the issue is with the dealer not BMW NA or Dinan. Without the dealer giving any information to BMW NA or Dinan neither of us can really do anything hence why the case is trying to be re-opened. I was hopeful that the BMW NA representative would have some more muscle than we do and force the issue but it appears that may not be the case as it sounds like that isn't getting much of anywhere either. In the grand scheme of things Dinan at a dealer only contributes to 1/2 a percent of sales in a year or some ridiculously small total percentage so we don't have a whole lot of sway on forcing an issue.
I will also say this again since it can't be repeated enough... There are a lot of oddities to this whole SPECIFIC situation so commenting any further by me would just be conjecture and do everyone a disservice.
Thanks for responding on this thread, I appreciate and understand everything you said above, it would be absolutely unreasonable to expect your warranty dept. to just cut a check to me, you don't have any hard info and that's not how warranty works (although in this case I paid ~$900 already so end-user reimbursement would be probably appropriate if the claim was approved, since the dealer made nearly 75% profit on the parts and labor, they shouldn't get anything back), my problem is that I can't get the dealer to submit any info to you, it would have been very helpful if the first time I contacted you guys if you could have put a call into the dealer to request info on a proactive basis since I was getting stonewalled by the dealer when I tried talking to them myself.

I'm still working with BMW NA, but the rep is rarely, if ever available when I call, but I generally get a call back the next day, which makes this process slow.
She is able to push the dealer to call me back, but we haven't conferenced yet with the dealer so she hasn't really been able to push the dealer on the issue, only to get them to return my calls.
After escalating from the SM to the GM, the situation only got worse, the GM was ruder and more unreasonable than the SM, and honestly I can't speak to either of them anymore.
I left her a VM earlier today, I really hope this next time we speak will setup something that will force the dealer to finally and officially present their explanation of why they refused to submit a warranty claim, they have not yet been able to provide an answer that holds any water, and have changed their answer more than once.
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #154
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok so yesterday I spoke with BMW NA again and have an update. Last my rep spoke with the dealer the dealer decided they are 100% unwilling to help in anyway and removed themselves from the issue with this final message. "This happened in July. It's December now. End of story." Apparently Steve Olsen and Patrick Womack of Laurel BMW put couple month statute of limitations on dealer fraud, after that it's perfectly acceptable. I expressed my concerns about this to my rep and she said she had the same thoughts which is why after that call with the Dealer she called up the regional BMW manager for my area to see if there is anything BMW could do at their level to help me. We are awaiting a response from the BMW regional manager now.

I really can't believe I was treated this way by a BMW dealer but am very glad BMW NA has taken it upon themselves to help me when their dealer left me out in the cold.

Dinan_Engineering I would really really appreciate if you could please have your authorized dealer liaison spend some real time investigating Laurel BMW of westmont because honestly based on this story I would be embarrassed to see my company logo on the walls of this dealer who is entirely unwilling to assist their customers or even contact Dinan when requested by the customer and is called for by warranty policy.
Appreciate 1