F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > If one adds M perf parts to 3 or 4 series, why replace the badge with M badge?
ARMA SPEED

02-28-2018, 08:21 PM   #45
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Your car is what it is, your not impressing anyone by debadging, and the sooner we admit that changing how something looks "for myself" is actually still done in vanity, the sooner we can be self aware enough to not be "that guy".
It's amazing that people really think like this.

"I did it for this reason, so you must have done it for this reason too. And now I regret it, so you should regret it as well."

I debadged my car for the same reason I spent extra money on the MSport package, black grilles, and color matched sidemarkers. Because I like how it looks. And the best part was, unlike the others, it didn't cost a thing.

If you honestly did that just to impress other people, that's on you. But I recommend you take a break from being self aware and become more aware of others.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 2
sspade2467.00
      02-28-2018, 08:57 PM   #46
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Quote:
Your car is what it is, your not impressing anyone by debadging, and the sooner we admit that changing how something looks "for myself" is actually still done in vanity, the sooner we can be self aware enough to not be "that guy".

"I did it for this reason, so you must have done it for this reason too. And now I regret it, so you should regret it as well."

I debadged my car for the same reason I spent extra money on the MSport package, black grilles, and color matched sidemarkers. Because I like how it looks. And the best part was, unlike the others, it didn't cost a thing.

If you honestly did that just to impress other people, that's on you. But I recommend you take a break from being self aware and become more aware of others.
I think you misunderstand me. Vanity is NOT limited to impressing others. Pride in appearance can be directed externally and internally, it does not matter in the case of vanity. Modifying something to improve its appearance means we take pride in its appearance, correct? Then modifying our cars is on the spectrum of vanity, either high or low. Not modifying our cars or not caring at all is not on the vanity spectrum. You care, I care, most people on this board care about the appearance of our cars. Why should we deny that we indulge in small or large parts in our vanity? The sooner we can accept that we do, the sooner that we can swallow our pride and admit that we aren't perfect and in turn not hold other to such an unrealistic standard. This is just being real. Time and experience bring introspection, and I was and am still indulging in my vanity. Now that I recognize it, I can control it to some extent without deluding myself into thinking I am not totally free of vanity.

Taking this into account I can see someone who puts M badges on an non M car and compare them to someone who puts M3 badges on a non-M3. They both on the spectrum of vanity at different intensities, but they are on the spectrum nonetheless. Given that most of us are on the spectrum then I can understand the thinking of someone who puts an M3 badge on a 328i and I can empathize someone who is indulging the same vanity I indulge in, but hasn't yet recognized that they are, in fact, indulging in vanity and therefore are lacking the self-awareness to regulate it.

In your case, I would say that you are indulging in your vanity to a lesser extent and that your denial is just something that will disappear over time as you get older. Embrace it, we are only human and we are imperfect.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 09:12 PM   #47
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think you misunderstand me. Vanity is NOT limited to impressing others. Pride in appearance can be directed externally and internally, it does not matter in the case of vanity. Modifying something to improve its appearance means we take pride in its appearance, correct? Then modifying our cars is on the spectrum of vanity, either high or low. Not modifying our cars or not caring at all is not on the vanity spectrum. You care, I care, most people on this board care about the appearance of our cars. Why should we deny that we indulge in small or large parts in our vanity? The sooner we can accept that we do, the sooner that we can swallow our pride and admit that we aren't perfect and in turn not hold other to such an unrealistic standard. This is just being real. Time and experience bring introspection, and I was and am still indulging in my vanity. Now that I recognize it, I can control it to some extent without deluding myself into thinking I am not totally free of vanity.

Taking this into account I can see someone who puts M badges on an non M car and compare them to someone who puts M3 badges on a non-M3. They both on the spectrum of vanity at different intensities, but they are on the spectrum nonetheless. Given that most of us are on the spectrum then I can understand the thinking of someone who puts an M3 badge on a 328i and I can empathize someone who is indulging the same vanity I indulge in, but hasn't yet recognized that they are, in fact, indulging in vanity and therefore are lacking the self-awareness to regulate it.

In your case, I would say that you are indulging in your vanity to a lesser extent and that your denial is just something that will disappear over time as you get older. Embrace it, we are only human and we are imperfect.
Shit just got way too serious. We just talking about badges guys. lol
kern4174453.00
      02-28-2018, 09:18 PM   #48
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Lets get something straight. Debadgers are not necessarly posers. I debadged every single one of my cars; even my 340 not even two weeks after taking ownership. 9 out of 10 mistake it for a 335 but I dont give a flying f.... I never pretended to own something I cant afford and certainly dont have time to entertain anything close to that. I just dont like chrome (hence the debadging), but most of all, I hate being profiled based on the car I drive. If you know i'm driving a BMW to start with; you probably either close to me, we got drunk together or know too much for your grade.

Debadging and rebadging are two completely different things to me and while one is completely fine, the other is a pure clusterf... But this point has been explained by many already

But back to the M's. I dont agree but I certainly understand what leads someone into rebadging a 320. With everything the 340 has to offer today; i'm really clueless as to why one would still buy a 340 and pretend its an M. Except for track, the 340 has sooo much to offer. With the MPPSK and loaded with some factory / retrofitted M goodies; it has everything you could wish for in your wettest M dreams; especially if you give it some love. And you'll end up saving some serious dough if you take that route. I, for one, have stopped dreaming and i'm living the dream everyday.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 3
Calvin361061.50
kern4174453.00
sspade2467.00
      02-28-2018, 09:32 PM   #49
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin36 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah.. But I think people need to really understand that whether or not it's to impress others or simply because you like how it looks, it all plays into vanity. We can point fingers at all the M3 badges all you want, just realize that we all do things for vanity's sake. The lack of self awareness is not just limited to a few.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 09:42 PM   #50
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah.. But I think people need to really understand that whether or not it's to impress others or simply because you like how it looks, it all plays into vanity. We can point fingers at all the M3 badges all you want, just realize that we all do things for vanity's sake. The lack of self awareness is not just limited to a few.
As I said, as long as they're not tossing on false M3/M4 badges.. I'm good. M badges come stock on some later year cars.. so it's tough to fault some folks.

Speaking of M3 copy cats... this person parked behind me... That's poser-ish to me.
Attached Images

02-28-2018, 09:47 PM   #51
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
Lets get something straight. Debadgers are not necessarly posers. I debadged every single one of my cars; even my 340 not even two weeks after taking ownership. 9 out of 10 mistake it for a 335 but I dont give a flying f.... I never pretended to own something I cant afford and certainly dont have time to entertain anything close to that. I just dont like chrome (hence the debadging), but most of all, I hate being profiled based on the car I drive. If you know i'm driving a BMW to start with; you probably either close to me, we got drunk together or know too much for your grade.

Debadging and rebadging are two completely different things to me and while one is completely fine, the other is a pure clusterf... But this point has been explained by many already

But back to the M's. I dont agree but I certainly understand what leads someone into rebadging a 320. With everything the 340 has to offer today; i'm really clueless as to why one would still buy a 340 and pretend its an M. Except for track, the 340 has sooo much to offer. With the MPPSK and loaded with some factory / retrofitted M goodies; it has everything you could wish for in your wettest M dreams; especially if you give it some love. And you'll end up saving some serious dough if you take that route. I, for one, have stopped dreaming and i'm living the dream everyday.
Absolutely. Perfect way of putting it.
MaximusJ303.00
      03-01-2018, 07:01 AM   #52
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
vanity is more than taking pride in how you look. vanity implies excess, i.e. you're probably in the crowd that believes "anyone who doesn't like it is just a hater." you put your outward appearance above everything else and expect others to notice and acknowledge. it's closer to be conceited than being happy with how you look.

so implying that modifying your car indicates that you're vain is a stretch. my beater is a station wagon with a dented fender and an off-colored hatch. i drive it all the time for errands or in crappy weather or whatever. the bmw is my fun daily and i'm enjoying the hobby of modifying it. that's it. it's not that deep.

not saying that some people aren't that way, but really? debadging? after all the other reasons that people said, people are still saying it's because we want to hide what we drive. yet we're the ones that aren't aware.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2018, 07:26 AM   #53
fluke
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328 and 2015 X5

It's your car, do what you want to it. A sticker/badge could be the start of some other fun changes and keeps the car hobby alive. I started in the car hobby by washing my car almost every day, then detailing the engine, then changing some parts for performance parts, then welding in some patch panels, and so on. I still have that car, and it's collectible now. Hopefully, an M badge will be your gateway. Have fun, enjoy your car and the hobby!
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      03-01-2018, 09:37 AM   #54
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
vanity is more than taking pride in how you look. vanity implies excess, i.e. you're probably in the crowd that believes "anyone who doesn't like it is just a hater." you put your outward appearance above everything else and expect others to notice and acknowledge. it's closer to be conceited than being happy with how you look.

so implying that modifying your car indicates that you're vain is a stretch. my beater is a station wagon with a dented fender and an off-colored hatch. i drive it all the time for errands or in crappy weather or whatever. the bmw is my fun daily and i'm enjoying the hobby of modifying it. that's it. it's not that deep.

not saying that some people aren't that way, but really? debadging? after all the other reasons that people said, people are still saying it's because we want to hide what we drive. yet we're the ones that aren't aware.
Excess is relative. To the person driving the beater, out vanity is excessive. Y s, debadging is on the spectrum of vanity, like most things it isn't black and white, but shades of grey. When we take pride in or work to maintain an appearance, that is in the realm of vanity. I don't see that as being a totally bad thing. Again, we're not perfect, and im not going to deny that caring about how my car looks has nothing to do with vanity. Why bother with such a trivial thing? Why are we so determined to think that we are not vain?

An you can do vain thing without being someone who is inheritor vain. Your vanity doesn't extend to you beater, but it does to your BMW. I don't care what my shoes look like, for example. I wear inexpensive Nu Balances for their comfort. I'm not a sneaker guy. But... I keep my M3 clean. I got some CF parts on it.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 09:01 PM   #55
Seraphim38
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Perf. & S1000RR

I bought an imported Canadian 2015 335i xDrive M-Sport car two days ago, and it has "M"s all over it from the factory.
It has the "M" logo on the door sills, on the steering wheel, and says "M Performance" on the sideskirts all from the factory.
It has the "M" logo on the "M" wheels and "M" big brake calipers that came on the car from the factory. It has the Adaptive "M" suspension.

The "M" logo is on the "M Performance" engine cover and "M" intake. The "M" logo is also on the exhaust tips (MPE/MPPSK full kit)

It has an "M" badge on the back of the trunk lid, (in the place where an M3 badge would be). I don't know if the badge on the trunk was there from the factory but my guess is no. I didn't put it on their to intentially make people think it was an M3. If it was on the trunk lid from the factory it would alleviate the miniscule amount of anxiety i have about people thinking I am an m3 poser, which I am not.

Since there are M parts and M badges literally all over this car, I don't really care that the badge is on the trunk (if it was not there from the factory). It is not possible to debadge the whole car, and it would be absurd to try.

Last edited by Seraphim38; 03-01-2018 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2018, 09:09 PM   #56
ArizonaErik
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport

I too just purchased my 2014 328i w MSport last weekend. Looking at all of the options the MSport just looked the best to my eye for this line. While it does come with all of the "Ms" everywhere, that's not a choice I made, blame BMW for that.
Historically I debadge all of my vehicles for symmetry for how it looks from the rear and will do that to this car aswell.

I plan to purchase many MPerformance parts that BMW offers because I think they make the car look better.

But I would never throw and MBadge on it that BMW didn't already do for me.

But I mean, how can you not like the MSport front bumper
Attached Images

03-01-2018, 09:41 PM   #57
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaErik View Post
I too just purchased my 2014 328i w MSport last weekend. Looking at all of the options the MSport just looked the best to my eye for this line. While it does come with all of the "Ms" everywhere, that's not a choice I made, blame BMW for that.
Historically I debadge all of my vehicles for symmetry for how it looks from the rear and will do that to this car aswell.

I plan to purchase many MPerformance parts that BMW offers because I think they make the car look better.

But I would never throw and MBadge on it that BMW didn't already do for me.

But I mean, how can you not like the MSport front bumper
Front end looks even better once you start to integrate aerodynamics components and dual slat kidney grills
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 09:53 PM   #58
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

1. Part of the M Performance look and feel has always been the elimination of chrome trim and accents. Debadging logically has always made sense.

2. I think some owners get so hung up on spending money on their cars that they default to M badges because 1. they admire the M title, 2. the badges are cheap in cost and 3. they can stick them on themselves.

Keep in mind the entry level M Sport gives you the badges plastered all over the car with close to no performance gains. Your just getting a bunch of M branded interior trim elements and the wheels. The same convo is taking place in the X3 section as BMW just released the catalog.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 10:16 PM   #59
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim38 View Post
I bought an imported Canadian 2015 335i xDrive M-Sport car two days ago, and it has "M"s all over it from the factory.
It has the "M" logo on the door sills, on the steering wheel, and says "M Performance" on the sideskirts all from the factory.
It has the "M" logo on the "M" wheels and "M" big brake calipers that came on the car from the factory. It has the Adaptive "M" suspension.

The "M" logo is on the "M Performance" engine cover and "M" intake. The "M" logo is also on the exhaust tips (MPE/MPPSK full kit)

It has an "M" badge on the back of the trunk lid, (in the place where an M3 badge would be). I don't know if the badge on the trunk was there from the factory but my guess is no. I didn't put it on their to intentially make people think it was an M3. If it was on the trunk lid from the factory it would alleviate the miniscule amount of anxiety i have about people thinking I am an m3 poser, which I am not.

Since there are M parts and M badges literally all over this car, I don't really care that the badge is on the trunk (if it was not there from the factory). It is not possible to debadge the whole car, and it would be absurd to try.
It is to my knowledge that the badge does indeed come from the factory with the badge on the trunk if I'm not mistaken for the latter years of the F30 M sport models.
      03-01-2018, 10:33 PM   #60
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

*Double post
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 10:36 PM   #61
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It is to my knowledge that the badge does indeed come from the factory with the badge on the trunk if I'm not mistaken for the latter years of the F30 M sport models.
Hmmm in Canada (and pardon my ignorance I'm only a year into the BMW scene) the F30 never came with an M badge on the trunk. From an exterior standpoint it's only ever been on the fenders (select years), brake calipers, rims and engraved on the exhaust tips if you upgrade to MP exhaust.

Sera's trunk badge must have been added on after the fact by previous owner.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 10:44 PM   #62
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC328_F30 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Hmmm in Canada (and pardon my ignorance I'm only a year into the BMW scene) the F30 never came with an M badge on the trunk. From an exterior standpoint it's only ever been on the fenders (select years), brake calipers, rims and engraved on the exhaust tips if you upgrade to MP exhaust.

Sera's trunk badge must have been added on after the fact by previous owner.
Actually I think you're right. It's only the fenders.
      03-01-2018, 11:02 PM   #63
Seraphim38
Private
Rep

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 05:39 AM   #64
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That badge didn't come factory.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 10:27 AM   #65
Seraphim38
Private
Rep

Thank you @KC328_F30

This morning I did a walk around and found 14 "M" logos or badges in a variety of places on the car, which I do think are from the factory. So having this one on the back added by the previous owner doesn't bother me so much. But if it is going to rile people up than a 15th logo was added to my car, or get me branded as a poser, then I guess I could remove it. It does seem kindof dumb though.
Appreciate 1
7iM3less2596.50
      03-02-2018, 11:08 AM   #66
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thank you @KC328_F30

This morning I did a walk around and found 14 "M" logos or badges in a variety of places on the car, which I do think are from the factory. So having this one on the back added by the previous owner doesn't bother me so much. But if it is going to rile people up than a 15th logo was added to my car, or get me branded as a poser, then I guess I could remove it. It does seem kindof dumb though.
All good man everyone has opinions and some obviously get emotional about it.

If I added badges back on my car honestly I would go black as yours is.
Appreciate 0