F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > MaximusJ's Mineral Grey 340XI 2017 . : . Build Journal
Extreme Powerhouse

09-04-2017, 09:34 PM   #1
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
MaximusJ's Mineral Grey 340XI 2017 . : . Build Journal

(First post is long read / long process; to skip to the mods and action; skip to post #2)

Hey guys,

I’ve figured i’d be original and do something nobody ever did before (not) and start another F30 build topic / page; not only to show and share what I did to my car but also to keep track of what’s and when’s. I wish I did the same with my old E90 since it ended up being an epic build and I ended up losing track of whats and whens; but this new one will be just as epic, I hope. At the time of these words, I didn’t even sign for my purchase yet but already had lots of parts on order for it.

But the acquisition process was also something else so I think I will start from there…. So here’s my car’s story…

August 11th 2017

First official visit at the dealer with the firm intention to purchase. It was friday afternoon so I had that very casual look. So casual that it took 15 minutes easy before anybody dared to ask me if anybody answered me yet. But that was totally fine. I hate having pressure when I’m looking at something specific and prefer to concentrate of my feelings while in the car instead of wasting half of my attention on what the seller’s trying to say. I knew the car inside/out before I decided to go there. My choice was already made on the model to every single option. I thought that the lucky dude or gal that will invest some of its time to come and see me will get an easy one. But those SA with the nice offices right next to the showroom had better things to discuss amongst themselves then caring for an obviously poor looking wannabe customer. I see a young guy (+/- 30) running back and forth, sweating from doing back and forth from the copier machine. He stopped for a second and asked me if anybody answered me yet. I said no and he stuck with me until I left. We went for a test drive and then we sat in his office to discuss. I wanted a ’17 340 in xdrive 6MT with both M performance packs. Nothing else and nothing too fancy; ideally in Mineral Grey with Red coral leather. And we found one similar at another dealership, but I had no say in color combos. It was black on black. Exactly what I have right now, but I was fine with it. The 0.9% promotion on 2017’s + the $3500 manufacturer rebate were enough for me to pull the trigger. But without me having to say a single word, he added another $1500 on top of the manuf. rebate. So I signed. Deliverable on the next week.

August 14th 2017

On the monday morning, I get a phone call I didn’t want to get. The other dealer sold the car I signed for during the weekend. He wanted to look at other options for me. The only 6MT that were available were either white / silver, the two only colors I didn’t want and all of them got the brown interior and the Premium package, which, guess what, was also the only interior color I didn’t want. There was a nice blue one but it was fully equipped with a price tag of 80k CAD. That was a bit too much for me. So I asked my SA if he had time for me that afternoon; I hate dealing on the phone. He took a couple hours with me to check every single 340 available without success. And just as I was about to give up, he made a last / desperation move. “I’ll tell you one thing before I let you go. We’ll go for another test drive, and you’re gonna give her shit the way you never gave shit to a car before and after that, if you tell me you’re gonna miss your manual transmission, then I will have tried everything I could. And we did just that. It was a crazy, almost scary experience (for my record, not for my life). Then we got back inside and found one almost exactly like I’ve configured mine on the site. Mineral Grey with the 18”; also managed to get another 2k rebate on top of the already negotiated 5k AND he threw in the 18” with Michelin Pilot Super Sport for free. So he got me. But I’m super proud of my whooping $7500 rebate. They f*cked up, but they rewarded me for sticking with them I suppose.

The lucky winner is a 340I Xdrive 2017 in Mineral Grey on Black Dakota Leather with Blue Contrast Stitching and Aluminum Hexagon Trim with Matte Blue Highlight. It has both M Performance Packages, Premium Essentials and Phone connectivity. I also got the 18"'s with non-RFT Michelin's as I mentioned.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]

Last edited by MaximusJ; 09-04-2017 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2017, 09:35 PM   #2
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
August 21st 2017

That tease sent me a picture; it’s in prep now! Delivery on the 23rd.

Also received all my carbon fiber goodies today…

August 23rd 2017

Today is the day. Cant be any more happy. But forgot one little detail…. Break in period….

In the next week, the following will be installed / done to the car :

BMS Billet intake
Carbon Fiber Mirror Covers
Carbon Fiber Diffuser
Carbon Fiber Trunk lip
Carbon Fiber Roof spoiler
Carbon Fiber Shark fin
Carbon Fiber Dual slat grilles
Carbon Fiber Splitters
Quartz coating
3M clear bra
Windows tint
Satellite tracking device

More info / pictures to come! I will post a new update once what I have on hand is done / installed

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 2
      09-04-2017, 09:43 PM   #3
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
August 28th 2017

Today I installed most of my CF; here are a couple before / after pics.

Before :

After :

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]

Last edited by MaximusJ; 02-13-2018 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 4
Roki187126.00
itachi_d207.50
      09-04-2017, 09:51 PM   #4
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
August 31st 2017

Today I installed my BMS Billet Intake. Install was a breeze. I took my sweet a$$ time and triple checked everything. 20 minutes from the hood opening to the hood closing. I’d gladly provide sound clips, but still being in the break in period, those will have to wait. Almost 1200 clicks on 2000 done.

Before :

After :
Coming soon...

September 1st 2017

Today was I day I was waiting for; windows tint and clear bra day. Every car I drove was pretty dark in the back so this week has been weird for me since it was so bright in there. Also, I have to cross a bridge both ways every day so I was kinda nervous driving around with a naked bumper paint. Also went for a full debadge when I got back home. Really happy with the results.

Before :

After :
Coming soon...

Sorry for the After pics of the intake and tint / debadge; its rainy here for the last couple of days so its gonna have to wait.

September 4th 2017

Since my CF guy sent me a quad tips diffuser instead of the dual; (and since he's from China, forget about sending it back) i've decided to go quad exhaust. Not to achieve that M3 look; but i've figured it would look better then having just 2 tips coming out of a quad diffuser. And since I wanted to swap for the M Performance Carbon Fiber Tips, I've decided to go all in and do both at the same time. So i've ordered 4 of these bad boys and will go to the shop ASAP.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 01:24 PM   #5
z3n0mal4
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Sweet looking ride! Congrats.
The carbon parts, they're from US?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 01:43 PM   #6
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3n0mal4 View Post
Sweet looking ride! Congrats.
The carbon parts, they're from US?
He's from China. I cannot recommend the guy. Fitment was 90ish%, but after sale customer service is horrible, to say the least. I got a quad diffuser instead of the dual and i'm pretty much stuck with it.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #7
bmw5858
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw 340i 2018

Still a really nice car man!! Enjoy the ride! Now you need some performance parts!!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 04:02 PM   #8
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw5858 View Post
Still a really nice car man!! Enjoy the ride! Now you need some performance parts!!
Thanks guys. I love it as well, but I hope the 6MT rage will go away, because its still very present.

Yep, a couple performance mods are in the books, but i'll tackle the break in period first. I have plenty to have fun with for now with the MPPSK. Intake / DP / CP might be it for this year tho. I'll see how the car reacts post-break in. Its gonna be a keeper (my kids already fight about who's gonna have it after me; and they cant even drive yet); so I dont want to end up with an oil burner. I take the break in very seriously, most of the time, Even if it pisses me off.

Always keep it below 4500 and under 90mph as per manual; but I cant help but letting go the engine brake every now and then; even if I shouldnt.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 08:02 AM   #9
bmw5858
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw 340i 2018

All i can say is... unfortunately the 6MT rage won't go away... I went from an Audi S5 manuel V6T to my 435i convertible 8AT.

I dont regret it, the 8AT is really nice, smooth and agressive when you want it. Some bug on quick down shift but meh, it's not a DCT. Planning on having kid, well trying to have one this winter haha so convertible will probable go away next summer.

I'm really planning on getting back a manual transmission! The feeling of driving is not the same.

Maybe if God can be good with me, i'll get a used M3 F80 2014-2015 with 6MT!

For performance parts, you should first just get a jb4. This will definitely make the car a whole new car.

Check at EXO performance in repentigny. The guy is amazing!! he made everything on my car, JB4, DP, CP, Intercooler, Coilspring. great price and great service! his name is Sebastien.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
Thanks guys. I love it as well, but I hope the 6MT rage will go away, because its still very present.

Yep, a couple performance mods are in the books, but i'll tackle the break in period first. I have plenty to have fun with for now with the MPPSK. Intake / DP / CP might be it for this year tho. I'll see how the car reacts post-break in. Its gonna be a keeper (my kids already fight about who's gonna have it after me; and they cant even drive yet); so I dont want to end up with an oil burner. I take the break in very seriously, most of the time, Even if it pisses me off.

Always keep it below 4500 and under 90mph as per manual; but I cant help but letting go the engine brake every now and then; even if I shouldnt.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #10
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, thats the feeling I have too. The AT definitely got its perks (commutes, free hand for coffee, etc...) but i'm trying to focus on the Pros for now. The cons will probably be more evident when the car is well broken in. But I definitely dont miss my 1st on my 6MT which was a pain to engage while the engine was cold. But i'm not sure I would have loved my rev-matching 6MT the way I used to love my old 6MT. I despise everything that's driving-aid or controls. My next 6MT will most likely be a non-BMW for this reason.

Jb4 is on the list, but I think its a bit early if I want to keep the car long term.

Would love to gain a bit more spooling feeling / sound, but I will wait to earn its true sound signature once I can push it over 4500rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw5858 View Post
All i can say is... unfortunately the 6MT rage won't go away... I went from an Audi S5 manuel V6T to my 435i convertible 8AT.

I dont regret it, the 8AT is really nice, smooth and agressive when you want it. Some bug on quick down shift but meh, it's not a DCT. Planning on having kid, well trying to have one this winter haha so convertible will probable go away next summer.

I'm really planning on getting back a manual transmission! The feeling of driving is not the same.

Maybe if God can be good with me, i'll get a used M3 F80 2014-2015 with 6MT!

For performance parts, you should first just get a jb4. This will definitely make the car a whole new car.

Check at EXO performance in repentigny. The guy is amazing!! he made everything on my car, JB4, DP, CP, Intercooler, Coilspring. great price and great service! his name is Sebastien.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 01:27 AM   #11
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Very nice F30!

Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 06:04 AM   #12
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks. Sunday morning and I got up super early, thanks to the kids. So today will be ceramic coating day I think!

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 04:07 AM   #13
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Wow. Quite a grocery list of things to do/done already for such a short period of time! Good job man! I wouldn't mind getting some of those goodies too but saving for a wedding sucks!! :
      09-11-2017, 07:17 AM   #14
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I didnt get married, but got two kids with her; same thing without the huge bill ahah.

Today's update. Put on the ceramic coating yesterday and it should reach full effect within three days. I cant wash or wax for the next week, so I will post pictures only after its been properly waxed. But I can already see that glass effect on the paint. That coating coupled with a mirror effect wax should be insane.

Gotta go for some touchups on my clear bra today. There's some dirt between the hood and the bra and there's a couple spots where it didnt stick as its supposed to stick. Hopefully they can fix them all without a re-do.

Still at 1550 km done on the 2k break in period. Turbo is starting to whine at pretty much any 2k+ rpm now and I just noticed it started to release those small, but noticeable, pssh sound when I release the throttle at 3-4k rpm. Almost like a very tiny bov; which is pleasant. A bov sound still manage to get my attention wherever I go. And its a shame we cant put any on the stock Charge pipe because of the valve system.

I wanted to stick to stock at least for the first 50k km; now I dont know how i'm gonna do it. I just imagine how this would sound with a proper charge pipe and down pipe and I might sleep walk in the night and just order them. Still not ready for a jb4 tho. This car will take some time to tame fully. Still surprise me every second day.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #15
thirdeye79
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Very nice car! Carbon fiber and mineral grey goes well together.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #16
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I didnt get married, but got two kids with her; same thing without the huge bill ahah.

Today's update. Put on the ceramic coating yesterday and it should reach full effect within three days. I cant wash or wax for the next week, so I will post pictures only after its been properly waxed. But I can already see that glass effect on the paint. That coating coupled with a mirror effect wax should be insane.

Gotta go for some touchups on my clear bra today. There's some dirt between the hood and the bra and there's a couple spots where it didnt stick as its supposed to stick. Hopefully they can fix them all without a re-do.

Still at 1550 km done on the 2k break in period. Turbo is starting to whine at pretty much any 2k+ rpm now and I just noticed it started to release those small, but noticeable, pssh sound when I release the throttle at 3-4k rpm. Almost like a very tiny bov; which is pleasant. A bov sound still manage to get my attention wherever I go. And its a shame we cant put any on the stock Charge pipe because of the valve system.

I wanted to stick to stock at least for the first 50k km; now I dont know how i'm gonna do it. I just imagine how this would sound with a proper charge pipe and down pipe and I might sleep walk in the night and just order them. Still not ready for a jb4 tho. This car will take some time to tame fully. Still surprise me every second day.
I was thinking the same thing my man. Buy gotta do it for the parents and the grands that are waiting for it. : Coming along quickly! I'm in the market for an exhaust and DP combo too but don't want it to be annoying as it is my DD.
      09-11-2017, 01:36 PM   #17
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin36 View Post
I was thinking the same thing my man. Buy gotta do it for the parents and the grands that are waiting for it. : Coming along quickly! I'm in the market for an exhaust and DP combo too but don't want it to be annoying as it is my DD.
Comfort mode is there for you But I admit that cold startups must be loud with the downpipe. Its already very loud as it is.
But my neighbour are driving harley's and another one got a Supra with a 3-4" exhaust; so lets just say i'm blending in, but I still show some respect. Absolutely LOVE the popo/neighbour switch; i'd need it on the wheel for even quicker response

Got my 2nd 150+ clicks joyride today for two days in a row now. I want to get it dyno'ed to get a proper base map before I do anything to it. I'm gonna remove the intake for the first two dyno runs and have two more with the intake on. Probably wont change much; but since I'll already be there; might as well do it properly

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #18
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Comfort mode is there for you But I admit that cold startups must be loud with the downpipe. Its already very loud as it is.
But my neighbour are driving harley's and another one got a Supra with a 3-4" exhaust; so lets just say i'm blending in, but I still show some respect. Absolutely LOVE the popo/neighbour switch; i'd need it on the wheel for even quicker response

Got my 2nd 150+ clicks joyride today for two days in a row now. I want to get it dyno'ed to get a proper base map before I do anything to it. I'm gonna remove the intake for the first two dyno runs and have two more with the intake on. Probably wont change much; but since I'll already be there; might as well do it properly
Would driving in comfort/eco pro actually muffle the exhaust that much? I haven't heard a modified 335 yet as I'm new to the F30 game. If it does, even better. I had issues with noise when I had my B7 S4 since I pretty much had a straight pipe V8. : Under WOT it sounded glorious but climbing the hills of San Francisco at a pedestrian pace gave me a terrible drone and the exhaust was ridiculous. lol so I really want something that could go into stealth mode quick.
      09-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #19
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I'm on a flat land so I cant compare, but except for the first 30 seconds of the cold startup which is loud, my car is dead silent in comfort when I pull out. I give him those couple minutes to heat up and when I get by the main roads, I put it in sport mode and then it gets louder.

I wouldnt go Eco on those hills because it would put a lot of load on the engine but in comfort you should be fine.

Best thing to do would be to drop by the dealer and ask for a test drive in those hills. And see for yourself. Personally, this is the DREAM setup for me. I like to be loud when I fool around but I like to be stealthy in my neighborhood or when I pull in at business meetings. Same goes when I have to drive around with coworkers or clients. That switch transforms it from being Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 12:50 AM   #20
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm on a flat land so I cant compare, but except for the first 30 seconds of the cold startup which is loud, my car is dead silent in comfort when I pull out. I give him those couple minutes to heat up and when I get by the main roads, I put it in sport mode and then it gets louder.

I wouldnt go Eco on those hills because it would put a lot of load on the engine but in comfort you should be fine.

Best thing to do would be to drop by the dealer and ask for a test drive in those hills. And see for yourself. Personally, this is the DREAM setup for me. I like to be loud when I fool around but I like to be stealthy in my neighborhood or when I pull in at business meetings. Same goes when I have to drive around with coworkers or clients. That switch transforms it from being Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde.
That's definitely that I'm aiming for too. Subtleness when I want it and some glorious music when I want to mess around. You have the M performance exhaust with the MPPK?
      09-12-2017, 09:35 AM   #21
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's definitely that I'm aiming for too. Subtleness when I want it and some glorious music when I want to mess around. You have the M performance exhaust with the MPPK?
Yes, but it comes with a different flap system then the MPE.

This morning while coming to work, an older guy (60+) was following me and when we came to a set of lights, he pulled beside me and signaled me to pull my window down...

" (light stuttering) tha-that-thats just amazing; that sound.... its like music to my ears. Unbelievable. I just wanted to tell you that" . This is the kind of remark I did not expect from a white-haired guy wearing a suit. I still have to remind myself that i'm slowly but surely getting there, but I was so not expecting such a remark from a guy that has 20 years on me.

Made my day. This is what this car is all about. The complete package. I'm in love.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 11:31 AM   #22
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, but it comes with a different flap system then the MPE.

This morning while coming to work, an older guy (60+) was following me and when we came to a set of lights, he pulled beside me and signaled me to pull my window down...

" (light stuttering) tha-that-thats just amazing; that sound.... its like music to my ears. Unbelievable. I just wanted to tell you that" . This is the kind of remark I did not expect from a white-haired guy wearing a suit. I still have to remind myself that i'm slowly but surely getting there, but I was so not expecting such a remark from a guy that has 20 years on me.

Made my day. This is what this car is all about. The complete package. I'm in love.

That's what I like to hear. the MPE+ MPPK is quite pricy though. Do you also have the mid pipe?