F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dinan N20/N55 Intercooler & Stage 3 Now Available!
ARMA SPEED

11-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #1
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Dinan N20/N55 Intercooler & Stage 3 Now Available!

Name:  Intercooler_banner.jpg
Views: 5774
Size:  292.3 KB

Part Number: D330-0021 - Dinan High Performance Dual Core Intercooler for the BMW F22 F23 228i, F30 F31 F34 328i, F32 F36 428i, F22 F23 M235i, F30 F34 335i and the F32 F36 435i. (see note below for exact application limitations)
Labor Time: 2.0-4.5 hrs (depending on required bumper modifications)
Details and Pricing: Consult www.dinancars.com.

Greater power gains are achieved with a larger high performance intercooler. The Dinan dual core intercooler provides more than a 2x increase in total volume and surface area, substantially reducing the pressure drop to 0.8 psi, as well as providing for more efficient heat exchange and more consistent output power. Dinan's unique dual core design allows 2 separate cores to be working in conjunction with one another at all times. This doubling of resources is directly responsible for a 60% improvement in the delta from charge air temperature to ambient temperature (See diagrams below). "Cool down" time is also reduced, enabling the cars to produce full power under varying driving conditions such as stop and go traffic. This leaves the chances of being susceptible to heat soak nearly a thing of the past.

The system has been engineered to be as direct a replacement as possible to the stock unit, requiring only minor modifications for a clean, factory-like installation. The increased thermal efficiency provided by the Dinan dual core intercooler will also enhance turbocharger reliability in addition to overall power. On a stock vehicle power gains can be had from 4000 RPM and beyond (when the car is in boost). In order to achieve the best performance however the intercooler should be paired with the Stage 3 DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner as it provides optimization of the intercooler. In particular it extends the power band to be more robust and powerful from 4000 RPM to redline whereas without tuning the bulk of the gains are from 6000 RPM to redline.

Benefits of the Dinan High Performance Dual Core Intercooler:
  • Max gains of 15 HP and 13 lb-ft of torque @ 6250 RPM on the N55 engine(greater gains and a wider power band can be achieved when paired with stage 3 DINANTRONICS). Max gains of 6 HP and 5 lb-ft of torque @ 5500 RPM (greater gains and a wider power band can be achieved when paired with stage 3 DINANTRONICS)
  • Area and volume more then doubled over the stock intercooler setup for maximum cooling efficiency to deter heat soak.
  • Charge Air Pressure drop: 0.80 PSI (25% improvement over stock)
  • Charge Air Temperature drop: 155º F (11% improvement over stock)
  • Charge Air Temperature / Ambient Temperature Delta: 18º F @ 6250 RPM (60% improvement over stock)

(228i fitment only confirmed on the M-Tech bumper; STD bumper not yet tested.
428i fitment only confirmed on the M-Tech bumper; STD bumper not yet tested.
435i fitment only confirmed on the M-Tech bumper; standard bumper not yet tested.)

F30 335i M-Tech bumper fitment may use an optional fascia kit to ensure intercooler installation is visually seamless. Dinan P/N D333-0025

Intercooler does not fit vehicles equipped with Active Cruise Control. The intercooler has not been fit checked / tested for certain combinations of bumpers / car variants. As testing is completed the application list will be extended to include further vehicles / variants. The intention is that this intercooler should fit every 2/3/4 series vehicle with exception of the F33 435i Convertible which has some additional bracing that makes compatibility impossible.

Name:  Temp Pressure Diagrami.jpg
Views: 4980
Size:  391.9 KB
Name:  Air Flow Diagrami.jpg
Views: 4828
Size:  354.7 KB

Name:  stage3_N20_N55_banner.jpg
Views: 4861
Size:  385.3 KB

With the release of the new Dinan dual core intercooler the stage 3 DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner is now becoming available for applicable models. This stage of tune is specifically designed to optimize the intercooler efficiencies. With its main purpose to extend the increased power band throughout the entire boost rev range, not just the upper RPM spectrum as what naturally happens without the tune and just the intercooler. What this means is that a more linear and extended power delivery can be achieved to go along with the dual core intercooler's inherent temperature and pressure advantages.

Upgrades from previous stages of DINANTRONICS are simply the difference in price between stages.

There are a few different performance data set numbers listed below depending on application and other factors. Please consult the Dinan website for specifications on your particular model / variant.

DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner for the F22 / F23 M235i,
F30 / F34 335i (w/ MPPK, Auto Trans.) & F32 / F36 435i (w/ MPPK, Auto Trans.)
ONLY applicable to cars equipped with an electronic wastegate.

Part Number: D440-1641-ST3
Applications: DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner for the F22 / F23 M235i, F30 / F34 335i (w/ MPPK, Auto Trans.) & F32 / F36 435i (w/ MPPK, Auto Trans.) ONLY applicable to cars equipped with an electronic wastegate.
Install Time: 1.5 hrs
BMW Factory Ratings: 320 HP, 330 lb-ft torque (326 HP, 379 lb-ft Measured)
With DINANTRONICS Tuner, Dinan Exhaust, CAI, and Dual Intercooler: 399 HP, 455 lb-ft torque

Name:  M235_Stage_3_RV.jpg
Views: 4845
Size:  252.6 KB

Part Number: D440-1641-ST3
Applications: DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner for the
F30 / F34 335i (w/ MPPK, Manual Trans.) & F32 / F36 435i (w/ MPPK, Manual Trans.) ONLY applicable to cars equipped with an electronic wastegate.
BMW Factory Ratings: 320 HP, 317 lb-ft torque (327 HP, 353 lb-ft Measured)
With DINANTRONICS Tuner, Dinan Exhaust, CAI, and Dual Intercooler: 401 HP, 436 lb-ft torque

Name:  335i_435i_EWG_MPPK_Manual_Stage_3.jpg
Views: 4673
Size:  255.9 KB

Part Number: D440-1639-ST3
Applications: DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner for the F30 / F34 335i & F32 / F36 435i ONLY applicable to cars equipped with an electronic wastegate.
BMW Factory Ratings: 300 HP, 300 lb-ft torque (315 HP, 330 lb-ft Measured)
With DINANTRONICS Tuner, Dinan Exhaust, CAI, and Dual Intercooler: 395 HP, 417 lb-ft torque

Name:  335i_Electric_Stage_3_RV.jpg
Views: 4643
Size:  252.2 KB

Part Number: D440-1631-ST3
Applications: DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner for the F30 328i ONLY applicable to cars equipped with a mechanical wastegate.
BMW Factory Ratings: 240 HP, 260 lb-ft torque (268 HP, 287 lb-ft Measured)
With DINANTRONICS Tuner, Dinan Exhaust and Dual Intercooler:
323 HP, 336 lb-ft torque

Name:  328i_Vacuum_Stage_3_RV.jpg
Views: 4558
Size:  249.7 KB

Part Number: D440-1640-ST3
Applications: DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner for the F30 335i (w/ MPPK, Auto Trans.) ONLY applicable to cars equipped with a mechanical wastegate.
BMW Factory Ratings: 320 HP, 330 lb-ft torque (320 HP, 365 lb-ft Measured)
With DINANTRONICS Tuner, Dinan Exhaust, CAI, and Dual Intercooler: 393 HP, 437 lb-ft torque

Name:  335i_MWG_MPPK_Auto_Stage_3.jpg
Views: 3566
Size:  232.2 KB

Part Number: D440-1640-ST3
Applications: DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner for the F30 335i (w/ MPPK, Manual Trans.) ONLY applicable to cars equipped with a mechanical wastegate.
BMW Factory Ratings: 320 HP, 317 lb-ft torque (322 HP, 364 lb-ft Measured)
With DINANTRONICS Tuner, Dinan Exhaust, CAI, and Dual Intercooler: 396 HP, 426 lb-ft torque

Name:  335i_MWG_MPPK_Manual_Stage_3.jpg
Views: 3727
Size:  234.0 KB

Part Number: D440-1638-ST3
Applications: DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner for the F30 335i ONLY applicable to cars equipped with a mechanical wastegate.
BMW Factory Ratings: 300 HP, 300 lb-ft torque (303 HP, 331 lb-ft Measured)
With DINANTRONICS Tuner, Dinan Exhaust, CAI, and Dual Intercooler: 389 HP, 413 lb-ft torque

Name:  335i_Vacuum_Stage_3_RV1.jpg
Views: 3592
Size:  186.3 KB

Last edited by Dinan_Engineering; 02-01-2016 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 02:30 PM   #2
2018FireOrangeM3
Rep
Drives: 2018 Fire Orange M3

Any plans for mechanical wastegate Manuel 335s?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperformance335 View Post
Any plans for mechanical wastegate Manuel 335s?
Yes. Just awaiting a car to test on as we sold our 335i MWG awhile back.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #4
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Can the stage 3 be installed without any of the supporting mods (intake, exhaust, IC). Granted, the claimed HP/TQ numbers will be lower.

A lot of people just want the added boost!
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:07 PM   #5
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
Can the stage 3 be installed without any of the supporting mods (intake, exhaust, IC). Granted, the claimed HP/TQ numbers will be lower.

It probably could, but you would at least want to change out the chargepipe as the higher boost will crack the OEM one over time.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #6
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
It probably could, but you would at least want to change out the chargepipe as the higher boost will crack the OEM one over time.
yep. chargepipe, drop-in filter, MPE...done
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #7
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post

Stage 3+ will REQUIRE, at bare minimum, the intercooler to run properly and thus be warranted through Dinan. Obviously the advertised numbers will be affected accordingly with the lack of the other components.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 01:26 PM   #8
robbymiami
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Convertible

Dinan_Engineering How much to upgrade from Stage 2? I'd obviously add the intercooler as well.

Currently have Stage 2 + Dinan CAI + MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Stage 3+ will REQUIRE, at bare minimum, the intercooler to run properly and thus be warranted through Dinan. Obviously the advertised numbers will be affected accordingly with the lack of the other components.
      11-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #9
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbymiami View Post
Dinan_Engineering How much to upgrade from Stage 2? I'd obviously add the intercooler as well.

Currently have Stage 2 + Dinan CAI + MPE
Difference in price between stages is all that you would pay on the software side ($250).
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #10
zxtman
Private
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport

One of the keys to that dual core intercooler is ducting ...and another is air flow management, so that air from one core isn't used to cool the other. From the airflow diagram, it appears you've accomplished this, and I'm sure you guys engineered the ducting to feed each core accordingly ...very clever.
Great work.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 02:45 PM   #11
robbymiami
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Convertible

Quote:
Difference in price between stages is all that you would pay on the software side ($250).
Dinan_Engineering Thanks! As soon as it is confirmed to fit the M Sport bumper, I'm in!
      11-19-2015, 04:20 PM   #12
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbymiami View Post
Dinan_Engineering Thanks! As soon as it is confirmed to fit the M Sport bumper, I'm in!
Working on it! =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxtman View Post
One of the keys to that dual core intercooler is ducting ...and another is air flow management, so that air from one core isn't used to cool the other. From the airflow diagram, it appears you've accomplished this, and I'm sure you guys engineered the ducting to feed each core accordingly ...very clever.
Great work.
We thought it was pretty clever as well. Simple solution really but one that is extremely effective. It isn't labelled on the diagram but essentially the front core is gathering air from the lower grilles and then feeding it back out the bottom of the car and the second core is taking air from the kidney grilles and that air is directed back towards the radiator just like the OE one would be doing. The result is significantly more cooling can be accomplished due to the 240% increase in surface area. While not always true, in this case, 2 is definitely better then one.

The only real downside is that due to the nature of having 2 cores the physical size means there is some bumper / brake duct trimming involved. This is part of the reason why we do not list it as compatible with all variants yet. There are simply too many variants (86 total to be exact) that need to be physically tested and instructions written due to the fact that trimming for all those variants will differ.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 07:07 AM   #13
shadowyman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AY F82 MPE

Quote:
Is this to say cars with active cruise can't have stage 3? What about track handling package for F36? AFAIK, intercooler is different than stock, instead of fog lamps, there's extra cooling if i'm not mistaken. I'm curious if I can survive with 435i+MPPK+MP Exh+Dinan Intake+Dinan Stage 3? What numbers am I looking at in terms of torque and hp in this setup?

Also, do you guys install dinans in HQ?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #14
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowyman View Post
Is this to say cars with active cruise can't have stage 3? What about track handling package for F36? AFAIK, intercooler is different than stock, instead of fog lamps, there's extra cooling if i'm not mistaken. I'm curious if I can survive with 435i+MPPK+MP Exh+Dinan Intake+Dinan Stage 3? What numbers am I looking at in terms of torque and hp in this setup?

Also, do you guys install dinans in HQ?
We do not do installs at Dinan HQ any longer. It is strictly R&D and manufacturing at this point. The 2 Dinan service centers in the bay area (Mtn View, Campbell) can both do installs though.

The Track Handling Package is just a suspension upgrade. It does not affect the stock cooling and the intercooler.

The intercooler can not be installed with active cruise control on the car since the sensor is directly in the way of the intercooler. In past generations we have had people relocate the sensor although we don't support that as the sensor is based on certain operating distances and moving it alters that. We have not had anyone try that with the new one though. Uncharted waters.

That said, stage 3 requires an upgraded intercooler (ours specifically, as we don't know how others would perform given the disparity between our setup and others) so stage 3 would not be available without it. Can you force stage 3 on a car without the intercooler...sure. You just would not be warranted through Dinan without our intercooler installed is all. Not to mention the drivability in the upper RPM range would be suspect. As far as numbers go for that scenario, I really couldn't say since we never tested it in that configuration although torque being the same as stage 2 is basically guaranteed.

For the future, stage 4 with the big turbo will also REQUIRE the use of the intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 01:59 PM   #15
shadowyman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AY F82 MPE

Quote:
We do not do installs at Dinan HQ any longer. It is strictly R&D and manufacturing at this point. The 2 Dinan service centers in the bay area (Mtn View, Campbell) can both do installs though.

The Track Handling Package is just a suspension upgrade. It does not affect the stock cooling and the intercooler.

The intercooler can not be installed with active cruise control on the car since the sensor is directly in the way of the intercooler. In past generations we have had people relocate the sensor although we don't support that as the sensor is based on certain operating distances and moving it alters that. We have not had anyone try that with the new one though. Uncharted waters.

That said, stage 3 requires an upgraded intercooler (ours specifically, as we don't know how others would perform given the disparity between our setup and others) so stage 3 would not be available without it. Can you force stage 3 on a car without the intercooler...sure. You just would not be warranted through Dinan without our intercooler installed is all. Not to mention the drivability in the upper RPM range would be suspect. As far as numbers go for that scenario, I really couldn't say since we never tested it in that configuration although torque being the same as stage 2 is basically guaranteed.

For the future, stage 4 with the big turbo will also REQUIRE the use of the intercooler.
Can you guys engineer it with Active Cruise control in mind? I was willing to buy Stage 3 but now simply can't.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2015, 01:01 PM   #16
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
Im very interested in getting this for a F31 328i xDrive Wagon - when will the stage 3 sw be released? When will you test fit this on a M-tech bumper?
      11-27-2015, 09:49 AM   #17
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

V impressive pressure drop (or lack of, I should say) for a twin core like that.

Would you be willing to disclose the core manufacturer? I don't doubt the quality for a second w/ DINAN products, just curious more than anything. Garrett?

Nicely done!

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 08:15 PM   #18
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:

Do you guys know the ETA on the 2013 335i xdrive/msport/MWG/MPPK version?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #19
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
Im very interested in getting this for a F31 328i xDrive Wagon - when will the stage 3 sw be released? When will you test fit this on a M-tech bumper?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Do you guys know the ETA on the 2013 335i xdrive/msport/MWG/MPPK version?
We have a multitude of test cars available to us for test fitting for the various combinations but the holidays have made scheduling them to come in a bit more problematic than we anticipated. We are hopeful that we will get a good chunk of the outstanding variations resolved this month.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #20
Jparker82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X6M

I have a 2014 335 with signature package stage 2 exhaust intake and all the other goodies. Having stage three and inter cooler installed this week. Should I be concerned about the factory charge pipe? Everything on car is Dinan except for downpipe is AR design. Car is a beast.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 01:50 PM   #21
BigVegas17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jparker82
I have a 2014 335 with signature package stage 2 exhaust intake and all the other goodies. Having stage three and inter cooler installed this week. Should I be concerned about the factory charge pipe? Everything on car is Dinan except for downpipe is AR design. Car is a beast.
Thanks
I don't have first hand info/issues, but from what I have gathered on the forum, the answer is "yes. The stock charge pipe is your weak link". I have one coming from ER for my car (also stage 2, exhaust, intake). If you are on the path to stage 4 and the dinan turbo, I would replace the charge pipe 100%.

'25 X5 x40i /// Oxford Green on Extended Tartufo | M Sport Professional | Executive Package | Parking Assistance Package | Climate Comfort Package
BUILD STATUS 111
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #22
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jparker82 View Post
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVegas17 View Post
I don't have first hand info/issues, but from what I have gathered on the forum, the answer is "yes. The stock charge pipe is your weak link". I have one coming from ER for my car (also stage 2, exhaust, intake). If you are on the path to stage 4 and the dinan turbo, I would replace the charge pipe 100%.

and Diverter Valve...replace with GFB DV+

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0