F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Problem with CEL/Dinan Tune
GetBMWParts

01-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #23
F-Dirty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon44 View Post
Had a question: When the Dinan harness and tune were un installed, did the CEL go out?
Was the computer fixable without Dinan tune or didn't it matter?
Seems you can always re attach Dinan harness once you diagnose the problem.
First evaluate with harness off. Eliminate a variable if you haven't done that/
I agree that the Dinan tunes feeds false date to ecu to increase boost but it is well established protocol.
How does the BMW tech not figure the cause of CEL after so many visits?
The dealer had the car when the tune was uninstalled, I never actually took it home and waited to see what would happen. As far as the BMW techs not being able to figure it out, well that's the frustrating part for me. I will be contacting one of the Dinan techs to go over some details and most likely will bring the car back in to prestige BMW when I have a chance. It's great how approx. 500 of the last 1000 miles I've driven have been to and from a BMW service center.
      02-08-2015, 09:05 AM   #24
F-Dirty
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update

I brought my car back to Prestige on Jan 31st because of the CEL issue not being resolved the last time I brought my car there and also because it was SEVERELY lacking power. I got a call on Thursday from my SA telling me the car was ready to be picked up so I asked him what they did and he said they again reinstalled the Dinan software with the newest update and they are confident this will solve my issues. I asked if any of the actual sensors themselves were replaced and he said no. I asked if they test drove the car for a bit after reinstalling the Dinan software and he said they test drove it but not for an extended amount of time. I told him I'm not picking up the car until they put some miles on it. Skip ahead to Friday night I get another call from my SA that they drove it over 100 miles and the CEL did not come back on. I drove the 45 miles from NY to NJ to pick up my car yesterday afternoon, saw that they did in fact put 111 miles on the car, and proceeded to drive home. From the second I pulled out of the dealership lot I knew the car was not fixed. I pulled over, plugged in my code scanner and surely enough the same codes are still showing up and from past experience I know 100% my CEL was going to come back on that same day. I drove back to the service dept and asked to speak with the service manager (whom I also e mailed weeks ago about my issue and never got a response) however he was not working. They instead got the shop foreman for me and I told him about my problem. When I told him that I didn't even want the car anymore his response was "why?" At which point I had to stop myself from serverely flipping out. I left my car there and drove the loaner back home. I am not the type of person who yells and screams at people nor am I demanding any sort of reciprocation to make up for the inconvenience of having driven to dealerships 6 different times to fix the same problem. I am however convinced that the employees working at these dealerships have no idea what the hell they are doing and simply uninstalling the Dinan software and reinstalling it is not going to fix my car. I am contacting BMW North America Monday morning as I have no other recourse at this time.
      02-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #25
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

That warranty has got you covered. Don't worry bout it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 08:24 PM   #26
Buckeyes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Have them remove the dinan and refund you the Money and then go buy a JB4 and a dp and pocket a few hundred bucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 08:27 PM   #27
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Calling BMW isn't gonna do you any good. BMW and Dinan aren't the same company. If the Dinan parts are causing the problems, they gotta fix it. BMW isn't gonna accept responsibility. Why should they? Its not their problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 09:56 PM   #28
F-Dirty
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Calling BMW isn't gonna do you any good. BMW and Dinan aren't the same company. If the Dinan parts are causing the problems, they gotta fix it. BMW isn't gonna accept responsibility. Why should they? Its not their problem.
How do we know its not a BMW problem? I've had 3 D-Tronics modules and software downloads installed...
      02-08-2015, 10:34 PM   #29
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Dirty View Post
How do we know its not a BMW problem? I've had 3 D-Tronics modules and software downloads installed...
Does the problem go away without the modules installed? If they do, its not a BMW problem. And thats the first thing they're gonna make you check.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 06:55 PM   #30
F-Dirty
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Does the problem go away without the modules installed? If they do, its not a BMW problem. And thats the first thing they're gonna make you check.
Actually it's the first thing I asked THEM to check but they don't seem to think its necessary. Also just an FYI on the caliber of service I'm receiving it is now Tuesday evening and I am still yet to receive a call from ANYONE at Prestige. I left 3 messages with the "service director" no call back. My SA was "moved" to another department and when I called and finally got a hold of him I was promised a call back and of course I did not get one. I can't wait for the service director or the fat bastard shop foreman to call me back...
      02-11-2015, 12:38 AM   #31
SourD
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 / X3MC / M3LR

^^^^^^

To summarize:

OP installs aftermarket tune. Car runs into problems. BMW trying their best to accommodate the customer even though they have ZERO liability on this claim. Proceeds to blast the people who are trying to help resolve the issue on a public forum to which they most likely read.

Dinan has no affiliation with BMW whatsoever and their warranty is 3rd party. My guess is the OP refuses to remove the tune because he overpaid for something a JB4 could've done better at 1/4 the cost so bmw is trying their best to resolve the issue around it. I don't believe for a minute that BMW actually didn't think it was necessary to check by removing the part and testing. common sense should tell you that perhaps if you install something and it keeps breaking your car....

Quote:
Actually it's the first thing I asked THEM to check but they don't seem to think its necessary. Also just an FYI on the caliber of service I'm receiving it is now Tuesday evening and I am still yet to receive a call from ANYONE at Prestige. I left 3 messages with the "service director" no call back. My SA was "moved" to another department and when I called and finally got a hold of him I was promised a call back and of course I did not get one. I can't wait for the service director or the fat bastard shop foreman to call me back...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 12:51 PM   #32
F-Dirty
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
^^^^^^

To summarize:

OP installs aftermarket tune. Car runs into problems. BMW trying their best to accommodate the customer even though they have ZERO liability on this claim. Proceeds to blast the people who are trying to help resolve the issue on a public forum to which they most likely read.

Dinan has no affiliation with BMW whatsoever and their warranty is 3rd party. My guess is the OP refuses to remove the tune because he overpaid for something a JB4 could've done better at 1/4 the cost so bmw is trying their best to resolve the issue around it. I don't believe for a minute that BMW actually didn't think it was necessary to check by removing the part and testing. common sense should tell you that perhaps if you install something and it keeps breaking your car....
I'm not the one refusing to remove the Dinan tune. I've told two different dealerships to remove it and neither of them have so don't just assume that I don't want to. I give you an E for effort in trying to summarize my post but until you've gone through the headache I've had to deal with you're better off keeping your mouth shut. Just my .02
      02-11-2015, 11:33 PM   #33
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Strange, isn't the Dinan tune a plug-in module just like the rest, and not a DME re-programmed? Tough not knowing how they installed it, because I would have removed it myself by now and drive the car stock to see if the CEL comes back. If it does, then just let BMW handle it. If it doesn't, i'm returning the tune. No more headache.

Knock on wood, I've been running BMS stage1 for 20,000+ miles error free.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #34
F-Dirty
Enlisted Member
Rep

It's the tune

Dealer removed Dinan. Car has no fault codes. Install brand new D-Tronics box, complete new wiring harness and download latest software. Car again shows same fault codes. Dealer is working with Dinan to try and figure out why every other 335 can run a Dinan tune except mine.
      02-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #35
Earthmaster
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 Austin Yellow

Get JB4 and call it a day or Stg 1 from BMS... stop wasting your time and money.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 01:50 PM   #36
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthmaster View Post
Get JB4 and call it a day or Stg 1 from BMS... stop wasting your time and money.
My gawd, that's about the worst possible advice. Whatever the issue is with the OP's car, it may be that the Dinan tune is surfacing it. OP, clearly there is something different with your car ... at least right now if BMW declines warranty coverage you'll have Dinan to fall back on.

Until and unless you understand EXACTLY what is causing your issue I would remove Dinan, get the car fixed, and then sell it when it's financially reasonable to do so.
Appreciate 1
SFV8187.50
      02-15-2015, 05:28 PM   #37
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
My gawd, that's about the worst possible advice. Whatever the issue is with the OP's car, it may be that the Dinan tune is surfacing it. OP, clearly there is something different with your car ... at least right now if BMW declines warranty coverage you'll have Dinan to fall back on.

Until and unless you understand EXACTLY what is causing your issue I would remove Dinan, get the car fixed, and then sell it when it's financially reasonable to do so.

+1 agree

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 09:12 PM   #38
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post

Agreed. The best advice would be to stick with something which hasn't functioned properly for over 4 months and hope that somehow it can get fixed. Right.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 08:46 AM   #39
F-Dirty
Enlisted Member
Rep

Honestly at this point if they are unable to resolve it this time around I just want my money back from Dinan and will settle for driving a stock powered 335 until time comes to get a new car. I really wish they had figured it out however because I definitely had plans to go to Stage 2 when it comes out and who knows what else down he road. I guess I'll have to accept the fact that my car was meant to be smoked by S4's and S5's and half of the 335's running around out there.
      02-16-2015, 09:05 AM   #40
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Honestly at this point if they are unable to resolve it this time around I just want my money back from Dinan and will settle for driving a stock powered 335 until time comes to get a new car. I really wish they had figured it out however because I definitely had plans to go to Stage 2 when it comes out and who knows what else down he road. I guess I'll have to accept the fact that my car was meant to be smoked by S4's and S5's and half of the 335's running around out there.
Keep us all posted on the diagnosis process as well as your refund from Dinan (if it has to go that route). I was ready to pull the trigger this spring on the MPPK version of this tune, but am definitely waiting if there are continued problems with this piggyback (you are certainly not the first to have a reported issue with this tune).

Thanks,

The Nerd
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 08:34 PM   #41
marwin888
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Dinan Stg 2

Any update on this? I am currently having the same issue. MAP absolute pressure too high.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 03:25 PM   #42
Dseverson
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

I also have the same issue. Currently I have the mppk tuning with Dinan stage 2. My car has been at the dealership for 2 days now. They have uninstalled the Dinan and it isn't throwing codes, they're going to put a new Dinan unit in and see if that solves it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 05:17 PM   #43
SFV818
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i - BM3 Stage 2 FBO

So the Dinan was the problem in all these cases? What stage was everyone running? I'm about to install the sport tune and kind of worried now. I would think the full stage 1 would be less worry than the sport tune but it doesnt appear that way anymore to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 10:41 PM   #44
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV818 View Post
So the Dinan was the problem in all these cases? What stage was everyone running? I'm about to install the sport tune and kind of worried now. I would think the full stage 1 would be less worry than the sport tune but it doesnt appear that way anymore to me.
The more important questions is why you are going to install a Dinan?
Appreciate 0