F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Plastidipping?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-26-2017, 07:35 PM   #1
rdeluna72397
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435i

Plastidipping?

Planning on plastidipping my 435i's luxury line wheels. They've got a chrome finish for some reason, I think maybe the last owner added that unless I'm wrong. Have any of you guys done it before? It's my first time and would like some advice on which spray to use. I was planning on using DipYourCar but I really don't know https://www.dipyourcar.com/products/...hite-wheel-kit. Here's a link to photos of my wheels and the paint applied to another set of wheels
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 11:58 PM   #2
KD07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i

Don't do it. Never seen plasti dipped wheels that still come out looking clean after washing more than a few months after doing it. I never did it to my own wheels, but everyone I know that did it ended up having to put on a few coats every few months or would just peel it off all together shortly after first doing it. You're much better off biting the bullet and dropping a couple hundred bucks on powder coating them professionally, or just buying new wheels all together.

I suppose maybe if you are sure to apply an EXTREMELY generous amount of clear coat protective seal on top after dipping them it may last longer and clean up nicer than in my past experiences. But IMO, these are too nice of cars to take the cheap route like this. Drop $2-300 and just get them powder coated you won't regret it.
      01-27-2017, 12:56 AM   #3
M47
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD07 View Post
Don't do it. Never seen plasti dipped wheels that still come out looking clean after washing more than a few months after doing it. I never did it to my own wheels, but everyone I know that did it ended up having to put on a few coats every few months or would just peel it off all together shortly after first doing it. You're much better off biting the bullet and dropping a couple hundred bucks on powder coating them professionally, or just buying new wheels all together.

I suppose maybe if you are sure to apply an EXTREMELY generous amount of clear coat protective seal on top after dipping them it may last longer and clean up nicer than in my past experiences. But IMO, these are too nice of cars to take the cheap route like this. Drop $2-300 and just get them powder coated you won't regret it.
I have plastidipped 2 of my friends' cars a year ago and they still look good. No peeling or whatsoever. I sprayed like 4 layers each wheel. One thing I don't like is the matte look..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 01:17 AM   #4
KD07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M47 View Post
I have plastidipped 2 of my friends' cars a year ago and they still look good. No peeling or whatsoever. I sprayed like 4 layers each wheel. One thing I don't like is the matte look..
I also should have mentioned that I have never seen anyone do it with the full $70 kit. All my experience was all done with individually bought spray cans of primers, the plasti dip paint itself, and clear coat. And all of which was done at least 4 years ago. So there is a chance that plasti dip has come a long way and the full kit would be more effective. Still in my opinion, if you're going to spend $70 for the full kit then go through the hassle of putting your car up on jack stands, taking off all the wheels, cleaning every square inch, and following all the steps in the instructions and being patient to let it cure, why not just spend another hundred or 2 and have it all done for you, professionally, and with real paint. I have never seen someone disappointed with their powder coated wheels.

Not trying to knock plasti dip, it's a great product for certain things. Ive seen several emblems and a roof plasti dipped before which came out great. I just believe there are better options when it comes to wheels, which are exposed to so much more dirt, debris, and abuse.
      01-27-2017, 01:37 AM   #5
M47
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328 xDrive

Quote:
I also should have mentioned that I have never seen anyone do it with the full $70 kit. All my experience was all done with individually bought spray cans of primers, the plasti dip paint itself, and clear coat. And all of which was done at least 4 years ago. So there is a chance that plasti dip has come a long way and the full kit would be more effective. Still in my opinion, if you're going to spend $70 for the full kit then go through the hassle of putting your car up on jack stands, taking off all the wheels, cleaning every square inch, and following all the steps in the instructions and being patient to let it cure, why not just spend another hundred or 2 and have it all done for you, professionally, and with real paint. I have never seen someone disappointed with their powder coated wheels.

Not trying to knock plasti dip, it's a great product for certain things. Ive seen several emblems and a roof plasti dipped before which came out great. I just believe there are better options when it comes to wheels, which are exposed to so much more dirt, debris, and abuse.
Yea I ended up using like 4-5 cans of those. If I have the budget I would of course powder coat the wheels, it is more durable and it doesn't have the matte look I don't like. But again, I didn't plastidip my car because IMO the matte color is just ugly.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 07:29 AM   #6
Paz1
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 m3

Quote:

Powdercoating rims on Long Island range from 600-800 for the set. Called a few reputable spots and it ain't cheap. I rather plastidip to make sure I love the color and if I was satisfied then I'd spend the big money to have it powdercoated.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #7
Jchn
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

If you choose to plastidip your rims, don't let the dealer clean your wheels, they'll use harsh chemicals that'll mess it up. I had mine anthracite grey after 5 months they looked fine until I let the dealer wash my car...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #8
jebs2k
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 435

i just dipped mine black with silver metalizer coat on top. pics aren't that accurate to how they look (diff angles lighting make it look lighter or darker)

hoping they will hold up
Attached Images

2019 440 GC
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 12:43 PM   #9
jebs2k
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 435

it actually looks darker like this
Attached Images

2019 440 GC
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 12:54 PM   #10
roll_the_dice
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F30 EBII

Garage List
I have plasti dipped wheels a few times...I did my 400M wheels and I like them, but replaced them with OEM 513M wheels. I still use them for my "travel" wheels when we drive long distances, like on vacation. Here is a pic of them after I did them. They look the same today...of course they are in storage until I go on vacation again though.

As others have said, I used 4 coats per wheel. I think I bought 6 cans just to make sure I had enough...I am pretty sure I used 1 can per wheel and 2 cans of glossifier. If you haven't done it before, I recommend going to www.dipyourcar.com and watching some of the videos on spraying your wheels. It isn't hard and the best part is if you don't like it, peel it off easily (if you do enough coats).

I always use index cards to go around the wheel also so none gets on the tires. It will peel off the tires, but the index cards make it so you don't have to...I also take my wheels off the car...I have never done it with the wheels on the car.
Attached Images

Drives: 2011 Porsche 958, 1965 Chevy C10, 1988 Porsche 944 Sold:2010 e90 Montego Blue, 2013 F30 EBII, 2013 Tangerine Scream Ford Focus ST, 2006 Mini R50,2004 VW Touareg, 2012 Camaro Convertible, 2008 Porsche 911 Convertible, 2007 Corvette, 2004 BMW e64 convertible, 2000 Dodge Dakota, 1999 Ford F150, 1999 Porsche Boxster, 1999 Ferrari Modena, 1992 BMW e36, 1990 Nissan 240sx, 1979 Celica, 1974 Mustang II
My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 12:43 AM   #11
WillSkill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 335i

Garage List
I dipped my rims and it's a pretty easy diy job. Just takes one afternoon. I applied 4 coats of black and a few coats of glossifier. It was my first time doing it and I think the wheels turned out okay.

My only complaint is when I switched to winter tires the edges got all screwed up. I ended up ripping it all off and now there's some plastidip stuck on the lug nuts. It's not noticeable but it's there...

Honestly I would recommended powder coating if money isn't a issue
Attached Images

2013 Alpine White 335i -M Sport/// Akrapovic Catback Exhaust/// KW Street Comfort Coilovers/// BMS intake/// JB4/// ER front mount intercooler/// ER Charge pipe/// ER catless downpipe/// 18" Apex Arc-8 in Anthracite/// Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Appreciate 0