11-28-2020, 12:19 AM   #59
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumagic View Post
block had to be notched right? willing to share machining/install costs?
For a full build it's going to be a lot more than you think initially. I'm basically buying everything new and replacing on the bottom end other than the oil pump pickup in the oil pan. My motor has ~126k on it going strong and I beat on it daily. I am assembling as much as I can by hand before transport, will pay someone to do the swap and transfer the rest of the accessories over as well. Things that are easy to access and swap over I'm leaving the same as I currently have no issues with anything (alternator/belts/starter) but everything that's against the firewall or requires dropping the block is getting changed. Most of this is getting bought and assembled in pieces. Will break in the forged bottom end on the stock turbo to ensure no issues before swapping to something else. Swapping to a larger turbo while the engine is in the car isn't too bad as you have lots of room to work with.

Currently acquired/ordered:
Rods 275 shipped
Pistons 700 shipped
Bare block upper and lower with oil squirters 300 local
Crank 400 shipped
New oem Hardware and gaskets 550 shipped
LPFP stage 2.5 (walbro 530) 500 shipped

Still have to buy/services to pay:
Jet wash block 275
Micro polish crank
Crankshaft bearings 200
Cylinder iron sleeves and/or css sleeves with supports and closing the deck 1275 + shipping to the shop. (Have to give John a call and see what this price all includes). Debating this or just balancing everything, sleeving, bone, notch cylinder wall, and machining locally 150 (typically it's around 20 +/- a cylinder)
Balance internals 200
Balance flywheel and clutch package 250
New water pump with hardware and gaskets kit 430 shipped
New updated timing chain kit 630 shipped
HPFP (spool performance) 1500 shipped

Up in the air turbo decision:
spa exhaust manifold
Used n20 turbo for core/exhaust manifold to modify and fit big turbo 350 shipped
n55 upgraded n55 turbo on n20 exhaust manifold or n55 turbo on modded n55 manifold drilled to fit n20 block
f30 n55 turbo inlet
Custom tune BM3 Cary Jordan/navardi/bm3 tuner 650 (approx current rate or so)

I have 6MT so add these to the list:
Luk dual mass flywheel 550 shipped
Stage 3 clutchmasters to hold 500 whp 800 shipped

Still have remove old engine, put in new one with forged bottom end and replaced parts which means add 130-160 an hour for labour costs. I can only assume it's 10+ hours to do all that. I don't even want to total this up. But when is all said and done, anything was changed and it's a "new car" engine and powertrain wise. This doesn't include port injection or touching the head other than gaskets, checking for damage, and cleaning it. Some of it might seem excessive, but I want to rev to 7500 redline (bm3 allows for 7200 with e30 OTS and I want to shift the powerband to a higher range to tune the the car similar to an evo/srt4 which reduces instant low end tq and shock to the transmission) and don't want to push more than 27-28 pounds on the turbo for its efficiency.
IG + YT: Sqwin_n20

Last edited by sqwinny; 12-05-2020 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
blumagic313.00