12-30-2016, 05:19 PM   #1
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Best tire sizes for track wheels

There are lots of threads about optimal offsets, how much wheel/tire can be fit, etc... but this is a slightly different question.

Tire manufacturers provide an "ideal" or "measuring" wheel width for each tire size, and it seems reasonable to assume that the wheel width/tire size that matches the "ideal" would be the best choice... and for regular street driving, it most likely would be. But for maximum grip on track (assuming a fixed wheel width) would it actually be better to run a tire that's slightly narrower to stretch it a bit? A tire size for which the manufacturer indicates an "ideal" wheel that's 1/2" (or even 1") narrower?

Here's an example of what I'm contemplating...

On my car, I know that a 9.5" wheel is at the outer limits of what I can squeeze under the front fender, so I'm trying to figure out what would be best for a track-only wheel/tire setup - the options being:
  1. 275/35-18 -- typically listed with a 9.5" ideal/measuring wheel, but I feel like this tire is a bit wide for a 9.5" wheel for track use
  2. 265/35-18 -- also listed with a 9.5" ideal wheel, and this size seems like it's in the sweet spot
  3. 255/35-18 or 255/40-18 -- typically listed with a 9" ideal wheel (although the ranges extend up to 10")... so even with a little less "tread width" I'm wondering if this tire size would perform better than the 265/35

For the best track performance on a 9.5" wheel, which tire size would you choose?

Last edited by DVC; 12-30-2016 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 1