F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
Extreme Powerhouse

01-11-2020, 09:44 AM   #485
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousUser View Post
But if we get the Bimmertech update some day, then all of you who bought the cheap chinese units will get an expensive bimmertech unit
We don't want fake bimmertech units, were happy with the genuine Andream ones
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2020, 10:06 AM   #486
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
Number in the previous post updated. Should work now
Thanks. I wonder what the best practice will be. Probably a good idea not to contact that guy all at once? ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobtc View Post
Just a quick question. Did the problem with the Andream box presenting itself as HU-ENTRY, making coding impossiblem, efter get fixed?
Only thing I heard are the reports of the problem itself here in the thread. I haven't tried to code my own HU yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousUser View Post
Yes i updated MCU to, also tried to run the update multiple times to see if the text would dissappear but no success.

Actually the text does not bother me, coz i am never in the main menu. Always go directly to carplay or BMW iDrive for radio.

But if we get the Bimmertech update some day, then all of you who bought the cheap chinese units will get an expensive bimmertech unit
Very interesting and funny
Good to know that it works.
Have you contacted Bimmertech again for the update? I'd love to take a look at it with binwalk.

I opened up my box today, pictures of the PCB below. I also managed to remove the heatsink from my CPU.
It is indeed the Sunplus SoC that we researched before. Although the printed number on it says 'SPHE8368', the Sunplus website states 'SPHE8368 is pin-compatible with SPHE8388' and 'SPHE8388' is the id mentioned in ISPBOOOT.BIN.

That prominently visible but empty 8-pin header is for the MCU by the way. The model number is STM32F105RB and with the help of the datasheet (and Kri ) I managed to identify a couple of pins. I attached that pic as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
cossie1624.50
muniz_ri447.50
      01-11-2020, 10:19 AM   #487
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
Thanks. I wonder what the best practice will be. Probably a good idea not to contact that guy all at once? ^^

Only thing I heard are the reports of the problem itself here in the thread. I haven't tried to code my own HU yet.

Very interesting and funny
Good to know that it works.
Have you contacted Bimmertech again for the update? I'd love to take a look at it with binwalk.

I opened up my box today, pictures of the PCB below. I also managed to remove the heatsink from my CPU.
It is indeed the Sunplus SoC that we researched before. Although the printed number on it says 'SPHE8368', the Sunplus website states 'SPHE8368 is pin-compatible with SPHE8388' and 'SPHE8388' is the id mentioned in ISPBOOOT.BIN.

That prominently visible but empty 8-pin header is for the MCU by the way. The model number is STM32F105RB and with the help of the datasheet (and Kri ) I managed to identify a couple of pins. I attached that pic as well.
Looks like Bimmertech lied then when they posted to say there unit is not the same.

The ONLY difference I have noticed so far, as the Bimmertech has a Toshiba TSOP on the bottom of the board and the Andream has a Spansion TSOP
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2020, 10:28 AM   #488
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
about bimmertech... https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6#post25624806
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2020, 10:39 AM   #489
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
I am speaking to him now, about the carplay device creating fault codes, and not being able to clear them unless back in the i-drive. I have also mentioned about the carplay device taking over control of the screen when you start the car, even if you have the radio on in the i-drive.

So far he's asked for pictures of the fault codes (which I have sent him).

But I have a feeling he's going to be hard work.

Maybe it would be a good idea to create a whatsapp group with him, rather than everyone contact 1 on 1 ?
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2020, 11:22 AM   #490
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

So I removed my Carplay device yesterday as the car had to go into BMW today for a service and I didn't want any issue's with fault codes that wouldn't clear, or anything to stop them from being able to update the service history on the i-drive.

Removing it was simple enough (although refitting the quadlock connector was a pain).

Anyway these arrived today, ready for when I refit the Carplay box.

RHD cars have the USB connector on the left of the trim panel, and LHD cars have it on the right for some reason.

I also ordered both the adaptors that I linked to in a previous post:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-A...53.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12cm-Shor...53.m2749.l2649

The double ended adaptor arrived first, so I test fitted it.

I trimmed a little of the rubber with a blade, so that it would sit in far enough.

It pushes up tight, to where I have trimmed too, which should keep it in place just as it is, but I might add a dab of glue before I fit it to the car (I will be testing the other adaptor cable first, when it arrives).

Appreciate 5
      01-11-2020, 03:19 PM   #491
jacobtc
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F20LCI

To anyone that has this installed. Does this still disable coding the car? What about the Bimmertech module, does that also make it impossible to code it? I'm going to install the Andream box soon, and having to reconnect everything back to stock when going to service would be a hassle, as the box will be inbetween the headunit and glovebox.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2020, 04:02 PM   #492
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
To anyone that has this installed. Does this still disable coding the car? What about the Bimmertech module, does that also make it impossible to code it? I'm going to install the Andream box soon, and having to reconnect everything back to stock when going to service would be a hassle, as the box will be inbetween the headunit and glovebox.
I am able to code the HU (HU_Entrynav) with the mmi installed; but I have seen posts from others that are not able to do so.

However the mmi does trigger an HU error code on my scan tool...something about an invalid image, etc. The dealer will be able to see the error code if they check.

Last edited by muniz_ri; 01-11-2020 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2020, 04:06 PM   #493
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I removed my Carplay device yesterday as the car had to go into BMW today for a service and I didn't want any issue's with fault codes that wouldn't clear, or anything to stop them from being able to update the service history on the i-drive.

Removing it was simple enough (although refitting the quadlock connector was a pain).

RHD cars have the USB connector on the left of the trim panel, and LHD cars have it on the right for some reason.

I trimmed a little of the rubber with a blade, so that it would sit in far enough.

It pushes up tight, to where I have trimmed too, which should keep it in place just as it is, but I might add a dab of glue before I fit it to the car (I will be testing the other adaptor cable first, when it arrives).
I ended up wrapping a small zip tie around the trim piece receptable with the coupling inserted. That so far has held it in place with no issues. The glue didn't hold very well.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2020, 04:14 PM   #494
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
I ended up wrapping a small zip tie around the trim piece receptable with the coupling inserted. That so far has held it in place with no issues. The glue didn't hold very well.
I was thinking of just putting some epoxy resin where I have marked it in red on both sides.

My thinking being that it should hold it tight enough, but if you wanted, you could force it apart in future.

How do you have it zip tied though ?
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2020, 04:41 PM   #495
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking of just putting some epoxy resin where I have marked it in red on both sides.

My thinking being that it should hold it tight enough, but if you wanted, you could force it apart in future.

How do you have it zip tied though ?
Epoxy would definately hold it in place. I used some cheap clear cement that I had laying around. Anyway, I zip tied like this:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
cossie1624.50
      01-11-2020, 06:32 PM   #496
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
I did something similar, carved the plastic surroundign the connector to fit che bmw connector lock

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4#post25417914

a good cutter, some glue and a bit of patience and you're ok
Appreciate 3
muniz_ri447.50
cossie1624.50
      01-13-2020, 02:29 AM   #497
ce23
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 F20 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ce23 View Post
Any chance to get the USB trim piece for the F20?
Any news if the centerstack trim piece with a hole for a USB port is available for the F20?
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2020, 04:44 AM   #498
jacobtc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Any news if the centerstack trim piece with a hole for a USB port is available for the F20?
Doesn't seem like it https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_8368
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2020, 04:58 AM   #499
jacobtc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
I am able to code the HU (HU_Entrynav) with the mmi installed; but I have seen posts from others that are not able to do so.

However the mmi does trigger an HU error code on my scan tool...something about an invalid image, etc. The dealer will be able to see the error code if they check.
Im guessing this is due to you not having NBT? I'm going to install it in the weekend and I will check with Bimmercode afterwards.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2020, 06:01 AM   #500
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-A...53.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12cm-Shor...53.m2749.l2649

Ok following on from this, the other adaptor cable arrived today.

So I test fitted it.

Was initially too big and wouldn't fit into the facia.

So a quick trim with a blade on both sides and it fits better than the 1st adaptor (no need to trim the top or bottom).

Night tight fit, but lines up perfectly.

It won't need any glue to hold it, although I might use a zip tie anyway just to be sure.

Also has the advantage of being a shorter connector, so less sticking out of the back and you can angle the cable where you want it.

Appreciate 4
Kri1083.50
terrymcg117.50
muniz_ri447.50
      01-13-2020, 06:29 PM   #501
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

does it work for 2013 f30 with CIC?
      01-14-2020, 12:31 AM   #502
drejcof
Rep
Drives: BMW F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by drejcof View Post
Hello.
I also have Andream MMI box with one big problem. There is no sound from carplay system. Everything other works, except audio. Any idea, what could be wrong?
I received a new power cord with aux output. Now the sound works.

I have one question about the Autolink connection. Can you change the aspect ratio or screen resolution to make the image full screen? I have a 6.7 inch Samsung Galaxy A70 with a resolution of 1080 x 2400 pixels. BMW, however, has a 6.5-inch display and 800x480 resolution.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2020, 01:25 AM   #503
ce23
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 F20 118i

Quote:
Thats what I thought... Would have been great to keep the look as OEM as possible.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2020, 02:03 AM   #504
jacobtc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thats what I thought... Would have been great to keep the look as OEM as possible.
I'm going to use Wireless Android Auto, so I will tuck the cable behind that bottom trim, so I can still access it when needing to update it.
The only problem I see in having the box installed, is that it needs to be removed every time I go to get the car serviced, due to the coding not working.

Last edited by jacobtc; 01-14-2020 at 02:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2020, 04:22 AM   #505
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: F33 435d

What is the verdict about service history? Can it be updated with the box installed?
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2020, 05:07 AM   #506
jacobtc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantanas View Post
What is the verdict about service history? Can it be updated with the box installed?
What I've gathered, no. Service history is written to the headunit, and if the Andream box interrupts the signal, then no. This is one of the major drawbacks of the box IMO.
Appreciate 1