F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Starting to mod N26 f36 questions and suggestions
Extreme Powerhouse

05-24-2023, 11:23 AM   #1
tw12321
Rep
Drives: 428i Gc 550i B7

Starting to mod N26 f36 questions and suggestions

Just starting to mod car after owning a 428i for last 5-6 years, been neglecting it a bit with other driving options here in Florida, trying to give it a facelift inside and out. Have been lurking for some time and purchased a bunch of mods to start installing. Little confused on a few points though, list of what I have bought so far, only some have been installed so far:

Injen intake
vrsf chargepipe
boostpipe kit
g plus intercooler
replaced stock muffler
vrsf Catless downpipe
Radium catch can set up
m performance brakes + stainless lines
kw-v3 coilovers
variety of things to finally fix rattles and blemishes inside and out
sparks/coils

need to buy bm3 still, was kinda waiting till I get some of the relevant mods above installed as only have done some of the quick ones so far and have a bunch in transit or sitting on work bench to install. to my knowledge seems like fuel system components seems to be the first MUST tune hand in hand with installations from what I have read, hoping to get walnut blasting as well before diving into fuel system upgrades.

Confusions:

1: Am interested in e85 as it’s pretty available here in south Florida as to non existent when I was in the Bay Area; however most info I’ve found is about what the stock pump can handle, however given this is a 2016 SULEV I’m curious to know IF/how that differentiates from most of the n20 e85 talk I’ve read and have had a hard time finding sulev specific discussions, does an sulev actually handle the e85 mixes better than normal n20? The hpfp seems to be the same as the n20 and the only difference I am really seeing in engine documentation is the line fittings are much beefed up and the injectors are “sorted” per bmw for the sulev. This seems to me that 30-40% mix should still be the limit in stock sulev form? Not super sure what to believe or where to start on this, I am considering grabbing a B58tu kit from navardi and wondering if this alone is enough or if I have to replace the LPFP as well with one of the drop ins from precision raceworks as well to get the car ready for full or high mix e85.

2: I am interested in doing the big turbo bolt on just for shits really because why not? My limited understanding in which it should be able to create a bit more power and shift the torque curve with proper tune as torque seems to be the death/bottleneck of n20/26 engines. However I am wondering if there is any prerequisites that I should do that are not listed above in preparation for it. Also MHI turbo seems to be obvious choice to me right now due to price and that its basically the oem version of the larger turbo. Have read some comparisons in blogs and on forum but curious on opinions or if Pure is truly worth the money and core swap. Also do I wait to be ready for the bigger turbo before dealing with DV upgrade?

3: lastly I’ve read a bit about oil starvation for n26 especially in corners etc, curious for suggestions on where to start in trying to remedy this should I modify everything I am hoping to as could see this becoming an issue down the line.

Likely trying to max out build at fuel pump systems/S63tu injectors or just short of doing a forged engine upgrades, of course its possible I get there and am forced to do it at that point for health of engines sake.

Last edited by tw12321; 05-25-2023 at 11:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 10:50 AM   #2
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

If you want to run full e85 here in south Florida, due to elevation, you’ll need the b58tu hphp and s63tu injectors. We have the line made locally (am Miami based) so you can pickup to avoid ups/usps/FedEx.

https://iposmotorsport.com/products/...333.kg4rJ1rf4c

Install the HPFP and line first (no tune required at all and is a quick and easy install). The s63tu injectors will need a base map and tune. Can’t just swap those and code them in as you’re going from approx 899cc to 1299cc injectors.

Stock LPFP is good for around 440-460whp so no need to upgrade. Might have to replace due to age as the module within the top hat of the HPFP over time goes bad. The pump works, but the module refuses to turn on the pump or wake up.

Fueling stated above is good for around 405-410whp on full e85, the b58tu HPFP is the limit. Can run e50 mixes to reach up to 440-450whp if needed. No hybrid turbo is big enough off the shelf to max out the b58tu HPFP at this time.

Best “value per $$$” upgrade at this time is going to be the sheunk turbo as it comes with a turbo inlet + turbo + high rebate on the custom tune from navardi tuned. Will allow you to make around 330whp on 93 (locally our 93 is crap so you need to run an e20 mix with 93 timing) and around 350whp on full e85. This is a pinch more power than the MHI for the same price + highly discounted tune you’ll need.

https://shuenk.com/N20-for-BMW-N20-&-N26-p509466020

For the DV go turbosmart dual port or 100% recirculating. The GFB DV+ leaks after 320whp or so and so does everything else.

Oil is going to be the navardi oil pan. It’s a PITA to install as due to the baffles you have to drop the subframe and push the steering rack out of the way. Expect to pay 4-5 hours labor + oil change for this to be done.

Lastly, you’ll need a proper intercooler as after 1 pull you will heat soak. Vrsf 6.5, CSF, Wager Evo2, evolution Raceworks, mishimoto is the way to go.
IG + YT: Sqwin_n20
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2023, 11:02 AM   #3
tw12321
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwinny View Post
If you want to run full e86 here in south Florida, due to elevation, you’ll need the b58tu hphp and s63tu injectors. We have the line made locally (am Miami based) so you can pickup to avoid ups/usps/FedEx.

https://************/N20-b58tu-kit-full

Install the HPFP and line first (no tune required at all). The injectors will need a base map and tune. Can’t just swap those and code them in as you’re going from approx 899cc to 1299cc injectors.

Stock LPFP is good for around 440-460whp so no need to upgrade.

Best “value per $$$” upgrade at this time is going to be the sheunk turbo as it comes with a turbo inlet + turbo + high rebate on the custom tune from navardi tuned. Will allow you to make around 330whp on 93 (locally our 93 is crap so you need to run an e20 mix with 93 timing) and around 350whp on full e85.

https://shuenk.com/N20-for-BMW-N20-&-N26-p509466020
This is exactly the info I think I needed. Am in Fort Lauderdale so pretty close to me as well. Do you guys have any recommended shops/tuners near you guys or in this area that you work with? Given local and possibly local support this would definitely rise to the top of my list here in trying to navigate this upgrade. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 12:32 PM   #4
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

Up in Fort Lauderdale it’s going to be Luciano at automotive perspective for the smaller things (installs and oil pan and things), good friend of mine. Can do the turbo as well.

Otherwise for bigger jobs it’s going to be foreign performance up in boyton beach.

The HPFP and line you can install within 10-15 minutes at home as long as you have a torque wrench (needed for the HPFP bolts which are a one time use an afe torque to spec) and basic tools.

Fuel injectors are easy to install + code. Maybe takes 20 minutes to do all 4 due to learning how to use the tool + coding. New injectors you don’t have to do the seal trick they showed in this video:

Hope this helps. Sqwin_n20 on IG as you’re local.

Cheers
IG + YT: Sqwin_n20
Appreciate 2
rcaso26335.50
      05-30-2023, 12:37 PM   #5
tw12321
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwinny View Post
Up in Fort Lauderdale it’s going to be Luciano at automotive perspective for the smaller things (installs and oil pan and things), good friend of mine. Can do the turbo as well.

Otherwise for bigger jobs it’s going to be foreign performance up in boyton beach.

The HPFP and line you can install within 10-15 minutes at home as long as you have a torque wrench (needed for the HPFP bolts which are a one time use an afe torque to spec) and basic tools.

Fuel injectors are easy to install + code. Maybe takes 20 minutes to do all 4 due to learning how to use the tool + coding. New injectors you don’t have to do the seal trick they showed in this video:

Hope this helps. Sqwin_n20 on IG as you’re local.

Cheers
Thanks, yea have seen that too video before. Was thinking I can do hpfp but wasn’t confident on coding the injectors should I do that upgrade on my own so will check out the video; definitely figuring better to outsource the turbo work when I get there. Will check out those two shops and add on ig
Appreciate 0