F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
Extreme Powerhouse

11-06-2020, 10:25 PM   #5171
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEDDES View Post
If you are after a unit for NBT that is the B unit.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...7b374c4dAPZOt8
Guaranteed shipment by 2/11/2021?!?!

Yeah OK. Guess since Bimmertech is 70 miles away from me I could get one in hours and installed same or next day ...yeah cost 400 more...but there is a price to possibly waiting for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 10:59 PM   #5172
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
You can run the Bimmertech software on the Carlinkit unit (~$300) and get the same exact experience that you would get with a Bimmertech unit at half the price.

The only difference, as you mentioned, is the customer support that you would receive if you bought a Bimmertech unit.
Forgot to also ask which seller have people had the best experience? Seems to be too many?

Thanks
I purchased my Carlinkit from this seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184484594034

The unit arrived in two days.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 11:05 PM   #5173
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabastro View Post
Tonight I was able to flash the current custom firmware on my carlinkit for my f30 nbt. What a difference it made for AA experience!

First my car now auto starts into MMI and AA and continues playing music.

Display resolution improved and I get split screens.

Also my woes with Sirius also seem resolved.

Wireless AA still works on my s10 but its chippy at times. I still prefer the usb cable.

Echos and phone noise seem greatly improved.

I am still a little confused about best/proper way to handle phone routing. As I understand it this new version can route calls through idrive right?

Right now I have both bmw and mmi BT paired. Are there additional steps I need to follow? (I.e. go into bluetooth setup and turn audio/calls on or off, or go into mmi settings and make adjustments?)

I did some tests from both idrive and within mmi and both seem to work. So maybe I am done?

I am excited because this means I can keep my s10. Wasnt much of an apple option for me right now and it seemed silly..
With the custom software on AA the mmi will automatically route calls via oem Bluetooth. So no need to adjust any Bluetooth settings on your phone.
Appreciate 1
dandandan101.50
      11-07-2020, 12:25 AM   #5174
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw640gc 2015Mercedes e40

Quote:
Tonight I was able to flash the current custom firmware on my carlinkit for my f30 nbt. What a difference it made for AA experience!

First my car now auto starts into MMI and AA and continues playing music.

Display resolution improved and I get split screens.

Also my woes with Sirius also seem resolved.

Wireless AA still works on my s10 but its chippy at times. I still prefer the usb cable.

Echos and phone noise seem greatly improved.

I am still a little confused about best/proper way to handle phone routing. As I understand it this new version can route calls through idrive right?

Right now I have both bmw and mmi BT paired. Are there additional steps I need to follow? (I.e. go into bluetooth setup and turn audio/calls on or off, or go into mmi settings and make adjustments?)

I did some tests from both idrive and within mmi and both seem to work. So maybe I am done?

I am excited because this means I can keep my s10. Wasnt much of an apple option for me right now and it seemed silly..
which software did u update too? I tried the universal 2.0 on my carlinkit and it wouldn't work ..had to settle for
The custom v1.0 carlinkit.. that one gave me the better cleaner graphics and the split screen on my android auto ..but no oem BT and no direct hook up to the mm1 unit ..i still have to press key 8 to switch to the mm1 unit ..no biggie but I def would prefer to run calls thru oem BT
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 01:16 AM   #5175
ViperBoy2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Quote:

I recommend only connecting BT phone to the OEM and not the piggyback. Otherwise the custom firmware still seems to randomly try to route calls through the high-echo Andream box for AA. My F85 never glitches on the phone side with that change (still lots of other hangs/crashes though that require reboot) and music auto-start is still random
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 05:42 AM   #5176
mabastro
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (f30/n20)

v2.0.B0.mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjule1111 View Post
which software did u update too? I tried the universal 2.0 on my carlinkit and it wouldn't work ..had to settle for
The custom v1.0 carlinkit.. that one gave me the better cleaner graphics and the split screen on my android auto ..but no oem BT and no direct hook up to the mm1 unit ..i still have to press key 8 to switch to the mm1 unit ..no biggie but I def would prefer to run calls thru oem BT
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 07:09 AM   #5177
phorze
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 520i

So is there any version of the kit that can be bought now, that accepts the custom firmware? Or crossflash to the bimmertech firmware?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 10:06 AM   #5178
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
v2.0.B0.mod
that's what I thought.. did u update the MCU ,? I Mite try again and see if I can get it to update
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 11:29 AM   #5179
mabastro
Rep

I didn't do the MCU yet. I am already at 10.6.2.0 so I don't think the custom one adds anything new or fix anything does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjule1111 View Post
that's what I thought.. did u update the MCU ,? I Mite try again and see if I can get it to update
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #5180
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I didn't do the MCU yet. I am already at 10.6.2.0 so I don't think the custom one adds anything new or fix anything does it?

I think u are correct ..it doesn't ..i just don't know y it won't work for me .. the custom v1.0 uploaded fine ...I'll try again later tonight and see
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 05:49 PM   #5181
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep

Tried the update again .. .still won't work for me ..haven't a clue what I'm doing wrong .. like stated before ..the 1.0 carlinkit upgrade updates fine
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 08:02 PM   #5182
Garywoo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330e MSport

I purchased an unbranded NBT unit from AliExpress. It's running the following firmware. Can/should I upgrade to the Andream v2.1.0.9.gpe.b as listed in the OP?

Incidentally, my unit came with a 3.5mm jack plug coming off the quadlock cable. Is this normal? What's it for?

I also saw a post about the Andream B units being a lot faster and better all round. Is this the general consensus here?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 11:39 PM   #5183
Pelonss
Rep
Drives: Bmw F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywoo View Post
I purchased an unbranded NBT unit from AliExpress. It's running the following firmware. Can/should I upgrade to the Andream v2.1.0.9.gpe.b as listed in the OP?

Incidentally, my unit came with a 3.5mm jack plug coming off the quadlock cable. Is this normal? What's it for?

I also saw a post about the Andream B units being a lot faster and better all round. Is this the general consensus here?
Just flash the custom firmware 2.0. i had the exact software as you and went that route. No regrets, everything works fine. Mine had the same cables coming out, no idea what they're for but i just covered the plugs and taped them down.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 05:18 AM   #5184
Masum2004
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F20 116i

Help with CarPlay and Reverse Camera retrofit...

My first post here, so please correct me if it's not done correctly.

This thread is the best I have so far come across so far, very well explained and a lot of helpful information. Thanks to the OP and all those who contributed.

I need some help from the experts:

I got a F20 116i 2013 (Production date 12/2013) with 6.5" iDrive Screen. I don't have Navigation or Reverse Camera factory fitted however would like to have a reverse camera. I only have Rear PDC.

VIN: WBA1A12090VW92909

I got Bluetooth hands free with microphone above the driver seat.

Would love to have CarPlay as it will add a lot of functionality to the screen.

I was looking to buy an Andream MMI unit. Looking at the options, there is 2 versions, CiC and NBT, I think mine is NBT as it got ConnectedDrive but want to be sure before ordering. Don't want to open the HU and check if it's 4 or 6 pin. Could someone please help?

Another question I have is regarding adding an aftermarket Reverse Camera. Would the camera work with the MMI module without having to have the camera controller? Or I should go for an OEM camera? What would be the difference between aftermarket and OEM in terms of installation?

I'm looking to get: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOo3gml

Reverse Camera with trajectory: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqBFEG1

Thank you in advance for your help.
Attached Images

11-08-2020, 07:34 AM   #5185
parmap
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywoo View Post

Hi
I'm also looking to order an MMI Unit from Ali Express for my F34 2013. Couple of questions if I may....?

A link to the seller would be ideal.
How long was the delivery and did you need to pay any VAT and import tax.

Are these definitely unbranded as I though most would be Andream/carlinkit versions sold through various sellers with a slight discount etc.

Thanks Parma
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 08:55 AM   #5186
Fishie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 32ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmap View Post
Hi
I'm also looking to order an MMI Unit from Ali Express for my F34 2013. Couple of questions if I may....?

A link to the seller would be ideal.
How long was the delivery and did you need to pay any VAT and import tax.

Are these definitely unbranded as I though most would be Andream/carlinkit versions sold through various sellers with a slight discount etc.

Thanks Parma
Mine is from roadtop, deliver took about a week with dhl. Paid $20 in dhl fees + 13% import fees. All of that was paid upon delivery.
Appreciate 1
parmap1.50
      11-08-2020, 09:22 AM   #5187
jared21927
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

Installed this carplay box yesterday. I carry 2 phones, an android and an iPhone. Having sound issues from both so today I'll be troubleshooting. I can't get anything to consistently play on the carplay box. Sound is fine on the Idrive system but as soon as I switch over, everything is silent. Wish me luck....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 10:22 AM   #5188
mabastro
Rep

I am no expert. Far from it. But I unpaired and turned off my idrive bluetooth, then upgraded to the v2 custom firmware. I prefer to wired connections for my android. Although wireless works for me on both carplay and AA

After installing upgraded firmware, I deleted all pairing and wireless on my phones and on mmi and then setup again. All works well now and display, autostart, and phone handling is all fantastic now.

Hope that helps you in some way. I have a carlinkit mmu on my 2015 f30 nbt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared21927 View Post
Installed this carplay box yesterday. I carry 2 phones, an android and an iPhone. Having sound issues from both so today I'll be troubleshooting. I can't get anything to consistently play on the carplay box. Sound is fine on the Idrive system but as soon as I switch over, everything is silent. Wish me luck....
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 10:28 AM   #5189
jared21927
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am no expert. Far from it. But I unpaired and turned off my idrive bluetooth, then upgraded to the v2 custom firmware. I prefer to wired connections for my android. Although wireless works for me on both carplay and AA

After installing upgraded firmware, I deleted all pairing and wireless on my phones and on mmi and then setup again. All works well now and display, autostart, and phone handling is all fantastic now.

Hope that helps you in some way. I have a carlinkit mmu on my 2015 f30 nbt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared21927 View Post
Trying this now. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 10:34 AM   #5190
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep

Can the MCU block me from getting the v2 upload to work ? I have the 10.06.02 mcu uploaded on there now ..wasn't the original one that came with the carlinkit..can that be my issue y the v2 upgrade won't open for me once installed ? I get the icons but android auto once I tap on the icon won't open
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 01:11 PM   #5191
Evgenyproject
Rep
Drives: F30 330

Update

Hello guys

First of all, sorry for my English. I write this text in German and do it in English with Google Translate.

I bought a CarPlay interface from the provider NRPFEL on Amazon.
Now I've come across this thread and wanted to ask whether I have any possibility to install a different firmware on the device?
I am now also loading photos of the interface itself and also of the software version.

I thank you in advance!

Nice greetings from Germany
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #5192
jared21927
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcp8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobanoodle View Post
Hey bryce007

The seller asked me what type of LVDS cable I have and it is clearly a 4pin one.
From what I've read you cannot use a NBT MMI unit in CIC cars?
The harness has different connection options that include cic high, cic low and something dvd. See my snap above. Thought this would be way easier dammit :/
I have a end-2012 F30 with a CIC head unit, it uses a 6pin LVDS video connector. I have installed a carlinkit MMI for NBT (as that is the only way to get a 6pin LVDS) and it is running fine. I had to transfer the OEM optical cable and audio is via AUX.
Mind sharing your setup details? I believe I'm in the same boat. I have CIC high and tried and mmi box for CIC only to find out it was incompatible so now I have the NBT version. I'm hooked up and can see carplay and android auto but I cannot get sound no matter what I try
Appreciate 0