F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
ARMA SPEED

11-21-2020, 01:39 AM   #5325
IvanK
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
I have never used Carplay so I can't answer those questions but in regard to AA you are correct.
Thanks for your fast reply, this definitely makes my decision easier.

By the way, in case of Andream B unit, if there is no automatic night mode with headlights on, does google maps app in AA at least automatically switch to day/night mode depending on the hour?

For example on my android phone google maps switch to day mode somewhere around 7:30 am (which is annoying now in winter since it's still dark outside) and to night mode around 8 pm (which is again annoying since it's dark already at around 5 pm). Also any time I enter a tunnel or drive under a bridge google maps goes switches automatically to night/dark mode.

If this automatic switching between day/night mode is available on the Andream B unit, then that is more than enough for me.

I just hope it's not day mode 24 hours a day!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 02:41 AM   #5326
Yom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9099 View Post
Firstly, I wanted to say the work on the custom FW deserves all the praise that it is getting and the work done by forum members is amazing. Thank you to all involved. Keep up the good work!

I have a similar unit (CIC_HL). Mine isn't from Andream themselves but I suspect that the unit is identical, and most likely Version B hardware. My firmware is not one that I have seen mentioned in the 240+ pages so far. Looking around the internet the only boxes I can find with the same layout are the Bimmertech MMI prime boxes (blue HSD type WIFI antenna connector + missing the 360 camera port). But I haven't seen any other pictures of version B CIC boxes so there could be more out there.

I am also looking for a custom firmware for my box, and thus far I haven't even found a stock firmware for version B CIC boxes of any manufacturer.

One thing I do know so far is that the Software update pin is: 2863 (Like the Andream ver. A CiC box). I can get into flashing menu etc... I suspect the way forward will be JTAG or Telnet if possible.

I have a question about the Forum-made CIC custom firmware:
Was the CIC custom firmware created using a stock NBT box firmware or have I misunderstood the version numbers listed in post number 2?

Sorry for rambling, if I am gonna spend a vast amount of time trying to work this out with a view to eventually creating a Ver.B CIC custom firmware, I may aswell get some words wisdom from experienced forum members, positive or negative!

Any help is really appreciated.
Where did you buy? I want to buy a CIC version B unit (with AUX cable and mic splitter)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 03:47 AM   #5327
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F26 X4 35d Msport & E92 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
Where did you buy? I want to buy a CIC version B unit (with AUX cable and mic splitter)
I ordered the unit from ebay approx. 3 weeks ago, cost approx £150. It took less than a week to arrive. The listing I ordered it from says it's currently out of stock however, here is the ebay listing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Wirel...-/224186270220

Are you in the UK? I ask because there is an identical listing on US ebay from the same seller.

Edit:
The unit i got is the one in my photos above not the one in the listing pictures.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 03:57 AM   #5328
yulian
Private
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 3.0d 2014

Quote:
I tried 9.2.9 today with Android Auto. They have not fixed automatic night mode switching and no "official" widescreen support.

However calls are now routed through the stock oem bluetooth connection as already mentioned. Also, auto-launching of AA has not been added however the popup to launch AA now stays on continuously until you either click on it to manually launch AA or clear it using the back button.

btw, here is the corresponding mcu for this update (v20.08.13): https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhGC52zqLhXxiWp0...9mM16?e=rgrcfi
Just installed MCU v20.08.13 over 9.2.8 before updating to 9.2.9 and now MMI controls is not working at all. Don't know what to do because I can't get to force update menu. :-(
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 05:00 AM   #5329
Yom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9099 View Post
I ordered the unit from ebay approx. 3 weeks ago, cost approx £150. It took less than a week to arrive. The listing I ordered it from says it's currently out of stock however, here is the ebay listing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Wirel...-/224186270220

Are you in the UK? I ask because there is an identical listing on US ebay from the same seller.

Edit:
The unit i got is the one in my photos above not the one in the listing pictures.
Thanks, i used your link and i've found a similar unit on ebay.com: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-IO...e/264842481107

I'm in Hungary, and I try to buy the bimmertech unit on black friday, but this unit can be a good alternative
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 05:23 AM   #5330
zeus_1903
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2014 3.20d f30

hello, what is the logic of connecting these devices to the vehicle, wifi or bluetooth, because after turning it on, even if I turn off wifi and bluetooth, it continues to work. Does anyone have information on this subject ???
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 08:37 AM   #5331
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Quote:
Custom firmware v2, based on the latest Bimmertech software, is the only one that has auto-launch for AA. Carlinkit is the only unit currently being sold that remains compatible with it.
Quote:
The stock Bimmertech sw has built in security that prevents it from running on non Bimmertech units.

Anyway, I've seen your posts about the issue that you are having with custom v2. I don't know what's causing it but it may be an issue on the phone side, idk. Have you tried a different phone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabastro View Post
Sure.. hopefully this link works in the UK....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

So people are recommending the Carlink with custom firmware v2 because the custom which is based on Bimmertech has all the options that work right now? Plus there is no lock out of firmware flashing with the custom. I mean, $650 for the Bimmertech is pretty stiff for sure. But guess it just works and they have support always...even weekends answering.

So confusing...rofl.

Anyway...since the other person used Amazon and you have a long return period...no harm if it doesn't work after custom firmware, they take anything back...great idea original poster on that.

Anyone confirm that AA also works wirelessly? There is a UK seller that claims their unit is identical to the Bimmertech, but they claim to have AA and Carplay both wireless working?

Thanks
      11-21-2020, 09:31 AM   #5332
mabastro
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (f30/n20)

Works great with my Galaxy S10 wirelessly on AA.

Been using the custom firmware for 2 weeks and it works perfectly still. I had one question which I posted to Carlinke on What’s App and they replied in hours.

Doubt I will be sending it back to Amazon!

Happy listening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
So people are recommending the Carlink with custom firmware v2 because the custom which is based on Bimmertech has all the options that work right now? Plus there is no lock out of firmware flashing with the custom. I mean, $650 for the Bimmertech is pretty stiff for sure. But guess it just works and they have support always...even weekends answering.

So confusing...rofl.

Anyway...since the other person used Amazon and you have a long return period...no harm if it doesn't work after custom firmware, they take anything back...great idea original poster on that.

Anyone confirm that AA also works wirelessly? There is a UK seller that claims their unit is identical to the Bimmertech, but they claim to have AA and Carplay both wireless working?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 09:34 AM   #5333
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw640gc 2015Mercedes e40

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post

So confusing...rofl.

Thanks
i have a carlinkit and works great , wireless connected to android auto and Carplay ..I'm running the v2.0 and it's working flawless ..i use it mainly wireless with my android and have zero issues with it ..biggest thing is learning the lil quirks and learn how to set it up correctly and lastly flash it ... I purchase mine from eBay ..$220 shipped ..took about 1 week to receive here in the states ..

Last edited by Bigjule1111; 11-21-2020 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
muniz_ri447.50
      11-21-2020, 11:42 AM   #5334
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

https://a.aliexpress.com/_B0J7SB

Hi all
Bit of a longshot but can anyone identify the unit being sold here?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 12:18 PM   #5335
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Been using the custom firmware for 2 weeks and it works perfectly still. I had one question which I posted to Carlinke on What’s App and they replied in hours.

Happy listening!
Confirm this was the link and seller you used from above?

Also which firmware are you running exactly on the first page of thread?
Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I've got a 5/15 NBT build date on my car.

Last edited by techlogik; 11-21-2020 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #5336
No0ki
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Quote:

Happy listening!
Lucky guy!

Installed today my Andream Box in my F20 but wirless doesnt work.

Got this error: https://ibb.co/FzjspD5

Looks like a Android Bug on some devices, see: https://support.google.com/androidauto/thread/73431615?hl=en
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 04:32 PM   #5337
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by No0ki View Post
Quote:

Happy listening!
Lucky guy!

Installed today my Andream Box in my F20 but wirless doesnt work.

Got this error: https://ibb.co/FzjspD5

Looks like a Android Bug on some devices, see: https://support.google.com/androidauto/thread/73431615?hl=en
try clearing cache from the Google, AA, and Google Play Services apps.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 04:40 PM   #5338
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanK View Post
Quote:
I have never used Carplay so I can't answer those questions but in regard to AA you are correct.
Thanks for your fast reply, this definitely makes my decision easier.

By the way, in case of Andream B unit, if there is no automatic night mode with headlights on, does google maps app in AA at least automatically switch to day/night mode depending on the hour?

For example on my android phone google maps switch to day mode somewhere around 7:30 am (which is annoying now in winter since it's still dark outside) and to night mode around 8 pm (which is again annoying since it's dark already at around 5 pm). Also any time I enter a tunnel or drive under a bridge google maps goes switches automatically to night/dark mode.

If this automatic switching between day/night mode is available on the Andream B unit, then that is more than enough for me.

I just hope it's not day mode 24 hours a day!
I believe that with AA it is day mode all the time, except for the custom sw v2 which switches to night mode when the headlights turn on.

With the stock Carlinkit sw, I used to be able to turn on dark mode on my Samsung S10e and that would trigger night mode in AA. But a recent Android 10 update has now made dark mode independent of the car ui.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 06:14 PM   #5339
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3 & '23 G05 X5 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenirox View Post
Quadlock Reverse unit to the back of the CIC and after that the quadlock of the Andream Unit.

For the LVDS Cable: CIC to IN reverse unit, and OUT reverse unit to IN Andream, and OUT Andream to the screen.
I hope this helps!
Tried this just now and no luck.
- Car quad lock to Bimmertech quad lock to andream quad lock to radio
- LVDS cable from radio to Bimmertech in. New LVDS cable from Bimmertech out to andream in. New cable from andream out to display

When I put in reverse it still goes to andream camera (now black)
Not able to put idrive knob forward for 3 seconds to activate front camera.

I wish there was a way to add a configuration to put the front camera on with andream unit so I don’t have to flip in reverse first.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 06:16 PM   #5340
Marlowe
Rep
Drives: 2017 M140 (F20)

After reading this through religiously I wanted to just ask for some urgent help with my own new carlinkit kit.

As a quick apology I'm a F20 (M140) owner with a Pronav 8.8" screen, not a F30 owner, but I appreciate the principles / models are very similar.

Based upon reading this thread heavily, I settled upon a new Carlinkit NBT EVO unit for my car as I want android auto.

The item arrived (after a 5am whatsapp chat with their customer service advisor at 5am on the morning of the birth of my new son...) and I've installed as best as I can.

The box is a little different in format to the earlier versions I've seen here. The most confusing aspect is that in place of a clear 'LVDS IN / LVDS OUT' port I have 'LVDS 1 / LVDS 2'. I've used images of previous models to determine which is which (green connector goes to screen, purple to head unit):

This works with the Idrive native display. But not with the MMI / android auto carplay side: all I get is 'NO SIGNAL' (see attached images)

I've tried reversing the LVDS cables (e.g. so that the screen connects to LVDS1) and unfortunately then I get no image at all - just a black screen.

I've checked the switches and have only 2 and 3 switched to on in line with the guidance (see attached images).

A quick video is attached to show the problem:

Could any one help? Is there anything obvious I'm missing? I've contacted Carlinkit for support but not holding my breath.

At the moment feeling like I've spent £175 on an expensive paperweight at a point when I really want to spend time with my newborn son rather than be trying to problem solve aftermarket wiring, but really need to get the car back together. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 06:27 PM   #5341
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
After reading this through religiously I wanted to just ask for some urgent help with my own new carlinkit kit.

As a quick apology I'm a F20 (M140) owner with a Pronav 8.8" screen, not a F30 owner, but I appreciate the principles / models are very similar.

Based upon reading this thread heavily, I settled upon a new Carlinkit NBT EVO unit for my car as I want android auto.

The item arrived (after a 5am whatsapp chat with their customer service advisor at 5am on the morning of the birth of my new son...) and I've installed as best as I can.

The box is a little different in format to the earlier versions I've seen here. The most confusing aspect is that in place of a clear 'LVDS IN / LVDS OUT' port I have 'LVDS 1 / LVDS 2'. I've used images of previous models to determine which is which (green connector goes to screen, purple to head unit):

This works with the Idrive native display. But not with the MMI / android auto carplay side: all I get is 'NO SIGNAL' (see attached images)

I've tried reversing the LVDS cables (e.g. so that the screen connects to LVDS1) and unfortunately then I get no image at all - just a black screen.

I've checked the switches and have only 2 and 3 switched to on in line with the guidance (see attached images).

A quick video is attached to show the problem:

Could any one help? Is there anything obvious I'm missing? I've contacted Carlinkit for support but not holding my breath.

At the moment feeling like I've spent £175 on an expensive paperweight at a point when I really want to spend time with my newborn son rather than be trying to problem solve aftermarket wiring, but really need to get the car back together. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
This is just a stab in the dark but try moving switch one down to match switch 2 & 3 then reboot. I believe that is the order used for the larger nbt screens.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 06:50 PM   #5342
Tomek_KC
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i, X5

MMI Installation in 2011 1-series

I understand this is not the right forum to post about installation in 1-series, but it is the longest conversation about MMI, so i thought I’ll drop little info for anyone installing in babyBMW.

One issue you will run into is placement of the box.

I did see some posts (i believe it was 3-series) suggesting it can be installed on the right side of the radio (vertically between glovebox and radio/AC stack), this wont work in 1-series unless you want to trim some plastic. Drawback for this placement is if you ever need to get to the box, it will require more work.

I have tried several locations within the cable reach, and the only placement possible (without the obvious - glovebox) is to install it next to airbag on the right and above glovebox, under passenger air vent.

This requires to take off the glovebox in order to properly run wires. These should run behind the airbag (not to interfere with it). Good news is that in the future it provides fairly easy access to auxiliary cables.

Here are couple photos i have taken, unfortunately I wasn’t taking many photos during the install as it was a lot of trial and error to find perfect location.

Use double sided tape (strongest you can, 3M used for body panels works best) then bit of foam to keep some pressure from the top. You will only have 2-3 inches of flat space where tape can work. It’s strong enough to the point where it would take some force to detach the MMI box from the tape/glovebox.

Hope this helps someone
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
dandandan101.50
      11-21-2020, 06:57 PM   #5343
Marlowe
Rep

Quote:
This is just a stab in the dark but try moving switch one down to match switch 2 & 3 then reboot. I believe that is the order used for the larger nbt screens.
Thanks for this; unfortunately no change. On my instructions switch 1 is for 'Radar on / off'.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 06:42 AM   #5344
Marlowe
Rep

Just as a quick update I had the same images as in the small instruct leaflet sent via WhatsApp by carlinkit's customer service.

Having checked it appears that the wiring is all correct and all connectors are fully working as:
  • unit has power (LEDs are on)
  • original headunit outputs video and audio via the unit to the screen
  • the unit connects to and plays audio from the phone
  • the unit usb and aux-usb (as nbt Evo) all work

The unit is switched to 2/3 on in line with guidance (f20 with 8.8" screen)

I can only assume I therefore have a faulty mmi unit, unless anyone has any experience with the Evo units and can see I've done something wrong?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 07:43 AM   #5345
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
Thanks for this; unfortunately no change. On my instructions switch 1 is for 'Radar on / off'.
Are you running and ID 5 or 6 system?

Do you have the link where you bought this?

MMI isn't supported on those platforms. Do you have Apple carplay prep from factory?

Maybe I misread your car year build and VIN dcode info.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 07:49 AM   #5346
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I believe that with AA it is day mode all the time, except for the custom sw v2 which switches to night mode when the headlights turn on.

With the stock Carlinkit sw, I used to be able to turn on dark mode on my Samsung S10e and that would trigger night mode in AA. But a recent Android 10 update has now made dark mode independent of the car ui.
Well for some of us if you root your phone or jailbreak IOS you can customize your maps colors still. Been doing this for years. I use a BMW colored orange red and always black background themed day and night maps. Doesn't matter it this ever works for me personally.

I know you root your Samsung or trip Knox that is the end of that. Whynaiovr OnePlus phones.

Appreciate 0