F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
proTUNING Freaks

12-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #5721
RJF92
EstateyMatey
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d F31 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikE90 View Post
Have you tried holding the home button for 3 seconds to get back to carplay?
Yes, I should have been more specific - holding home, holding back, pressing back or home (any combination of buttons) doesn't take you back to CarPlay. I assume this is probably due to the fact the MMI unit thinks its already displaying CarPlay whilst cutting to the PDC radar feed.
      12-22-2020, 06:51 PM   #5722
Rasoul77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJF92 View Post
Yes, I should have been more specific - holding home, holding back, pressing back or home (any combination of buttons) doesn't take you back to CarPlay. I assume this is probably due to the fact the MMI unit thinks its already displaying CarPlay whilst cutting to the PDC radar feed.
If holding <Menu> button doesn't switch between MMI and iDrive, it means that MMI thinks that the PDC screen is still active. It seems that somehow the MMI unit doesn't receive end of PDC mode message on the CAN bus.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 09:56 PM   #5723
edm0nd
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i 2013

Which one should I order if I have a 2013 328i n26 but I have the CIC system (i think) & 8.8" (im pretty sure) display.

My head unit

I think this menu means I have the CIC version

Last edited by edm0nd; 12-22-2020 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 11:45 PM   #5724
kaylee.s
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i

Hello all,

I recently installed an Andream B MMI box on my 2016 f30 with NBT evo ID4. I'm using android auto, and my phone is on android 10. Lot's of quirks with this box. Andream customer support has been useless. Can anyone offer any help for the issues i'm having?

Audio quality is sub par. it's not the worst, but being used to my HK, it's a noticeable downgrade in sound quality.

Phone call volume is almost silent. Turning the volume up or down does not control the call volume. How do I turn call volume up?

The screen in google maps has "shadows" around the letters and icons. not necessarily pixilated, but shadows that come and go as if it's a resolution issue. Is there any way to fix this?

Every time I start my car, it boots to iDrive. not AA. I can't find a setting to fix this, is there one?

Finally, and most annoying bug... Google maps won't automatically switch to night mode. My phone switches back and forth just fine, but not google maps in AA. I've enable the developer settings in AA and tried to let the car switch, then tried to let the phone switch to no avail, it stays in day mode at all times. The only way I can get it into night mode is to change it manually to night mode every time. Is there a fix for this? Will the MMI obey dark mode on my phone if I toggle it there?

I've asked Andream to return this, as i'm very dissatisfied with the bugs. I can't believe they would release a product this full of bugs. Andream Customer support has stopped answering me.

Last edited by kaylee.s; 12-22-2020 at 11:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 12:23 AM   #5725
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylee.s View Post
Hello all,

I recently installed an Andream B MMI box on my 2016 f30 with NBT evo ID4. I'm using android auto, and my phone is on android 10. Lot's of quirks with this box. Andream customer support has been useless. Can anyone offer any help for the issues i'm having?

Audio quality is sub par. it's not the worst, but being used to my HK, it's a noticeable downgrade in sound quality.

Phone call volume is almost silent. Turning the volume up or down does not control the call volume. How do I turn call volume up?

The screen in google maps has "shadows" around the letters and icons. not necessarily pixilated, but shadows that come and go as if it's a resolution issue. Is there any way to fix this?

Every time I start my car, it boots to iDrive. not AA. I can't find a setting to fix this, is there one?

Finally, and most annoying bug... Google maps won't automatically switch to night mode. My phone switches back and forth just fine, but not google maps in AA. I've enable the developer settings in AA and tried to let the car switch, then tried to let the phone switch to no avail, it stays in day mode at all times. The only way I can get it into night mode is to change it manually to night mode every time. Is there a fix for this? Will the MMI obey dark mode on my phone if I toggle it there?

I've asked Andream to return this, as i'm very dissatisfied with the bugs. I can't believe they would release a product this full of bugs. Andream Customer support has stopped answering me.
Yes, the Andream B units are not recommended for AA users.

But the audio quality will likely be the same across the board. It's more than good enough for me but I'm not very discerning when it comes to that.

Regarding phone call volume, I believe that all of these units now have a setting to use the oem bluetooth connection instead of the mmi bluetooth. Make sure that setting is checked and that should resolve that issue.

The automatic night mode switching is a problem with all of the units using AA except for Bimmertech. Bimmertech switches to night mode when the headlights turn on.

You may want to consider selling the Andream unit and purchasing a Carlinkit unit instead. It's compatible with the custom software on page 1 which is based on the Bimmertech software. It works much better with AA.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 01:54 AM   #5726
Masum2004
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F20 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by edm0nd View Post
Which one should I order if I have a 2013 328i n26 but I have the CIC system (i think) & 8.8" (im pretty sure) display.
Very likely you will need a NBT unit due to the 6 pin LVDS on the display. Your car is manufactured during the crossover period, same as mine and I ordered NBT. Another reason I say you need NBT is because you got Connected Drive menu as opposed to BMW Assist on the older versions.

The best way to confirm which unit you need it to check the port behind the display, I bet it's a 6 pin (NBT). If it's 4 pin (which is extremely unlikely) then you will need CIC.

Hope someone else can provide a definitive answer.

Alternatively you can ask the seller and they can confirm.
      12-23-2020, 04:09 AM   #5727
Cruez
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 / Opel Manta b 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masum2004 View Post
Quote:
Very likely you will need a NBT unit due to the 6 pin LVDS on the display. Your car is manufactured during the crossover period, same as mine and I ordered NBT. Another reason I say you need NBT is because you got Connected Drive menu as opposed to BMW Assist on the older versions.

The best way to confirm which unit you need it to check the port behind the display, I bet it's a 6 pin (NBT). If it's 4 pin (which is extremely unlikely) then you will need CIC.

Hope someone else can provide a definitive answer.

Alternatively you can ask the seller and they can confirm.
@edm0nd Masum2004

Dont know if this helps but if you enter your vin here it shows u what HU you have.

https://bmwcodem.com/pages/check-vin

Grts
Appreciate 1
edm0nd23.00
      12-23-2020, 04:50 AM   #5728
ImpX
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Hello all,

Hello, I have the very same setup '16 nbt evo id4 with HK. Installed Andream B.

I have no problems with sound quality, sound quality is the same or better as through the normal bluetooth connection.

Phone calls were awful until I set it to use car's bluetooth - there is an option in settings. You need to have the connection to car's bluetooth set up (I also disabled media through bluetooth in original radio, let only phone calls profile connect). I do not have problem with calls being too quiet since then either. The quality is great.

Shadows - yes there is a problem when you are on white screens. As for google maps I set them permanently to dark mode (inside the google maps settings, it was a one time setting) and use them this way. I was unable to change day/night on Waze.

Bottom line, when using friends iPhone and Carplay I discovered zero problems. Even phone calls were reportedly of higher quality...
Appreciate 1
Cruez3.00
      12-23-2020, 07:59 AM   #5729
SuperLomi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Quote:
You should take the display out and check the connector on the back. If it had 6 pins (two extra wires on top of the pink plug) you need an NBT system. If it has 4 pins you need CIC.

This is the only real difference in the boxes, so it’s the surefire way to tell. It doesn’t actually matter if your head unit runs the CIC or NBT software. Just ensuring the wire connections are the correct plugs/outputs.

Last edited by SuperLomi; 12-23-2020 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
edm0nd23.00
      12-23-2020, 10:19 AM   #5730
kaylee.s
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
Yes, the Andream B units are not recommended for AA users.

But the audio quality will likely be the same across the board. It's more than good enough for me but I'm not very discerning when it comes to that.

Regarding phone call volume, I believe that all of these units now have a setting to use the oem bluetooth connection instead of the mmi bluetooth. Make sure that setting is checked and that should resolve that issue.

The automatic night mode switching is a problem with all of the units using AA except for Bimmertech. Bimmertech switches to night mode when the headlights turn on.

You may want to consider selling the Andream unit and purchasing a Carlinkit unit instead. It's compatible with the custom software on page 1 which is based on the Bimmertech software. It works much better with AA.
Thanks for the tips! I've asked andream if they can exchange mine for an A box... We shall see.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 03:15 PM   #5731
Kyokushin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 428i, F32 420i

Automation rules in iOS are no longer working since 14.3

I described issue here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252212356

In overally - you cant automate execution of application, for example if you want to run automatically waze, spotify etc while connecting to Carplay.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 10:08 PM   #5732
trentr98
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i X-Drive Sport

Quote:

My head unit

I think this menu means I have the CIC version
You need the NBT, I have the same head unit, car and year. It'll say CIC-High when you open it up, but these have the same 6 pin connectors the NBD uses
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 10:40 PM   #5733
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw640gc 2015Mercedes e40

Quote:
Thanks for the tips! I've asked andream if they can exchange mine for an A box... We shall see.
I definitely would if you could..I'm running a carlinkit with the update firmware, [much thanks to muniz for helping me out ] running Android auto and I love it.. aside from learning the small quirks here and there it's pretty much best 200 I've spent on my f06 and runs pretty much flawless
Appreciate 2
muniz_ri447.50
      12-24-2020, 01:47 AM   #5734
Lolo_14
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyokushin View Post
Automation rules in iOS are no longer working since 14.3

I described issue here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252212356

In overally - you cant automate execution of application, for example if you want to run automatically waze, spotify etc while connecting to Carplay.
Thats bad
I saw you posted it also in reddit. Keep us updated especially if you find a possible work around. For the time being I will stay on 14.2 !
Strange to not see more reactions as this is/was a useful feature !
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 10:57 PM   #5735
DerIs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F32 420d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpX View Post
Hello, I have the very same setup '16 nbt evo id4 with HK. Installed Andream B.

I have no problems with sound quality, sound quality is the same or better as through the normal bluetooth connection.

Phone calls were awful until I set it to use car's bluetooth - there is an option in settings. You need to have the connection to car's bluetooth set up (I also disabled media through bluetooth in original radio, let only phone calls profile connect). I do not have problem with calls being too quiet since then either. The quality is great.

Shadows - yes there is a problem when you are on white screens. As for google maps I set them permanently to dark mode (inside the google maps settings, it was a one time setting) and use them this way. I was unable to change day/night on Waze.

Bottom line, when using friends iPhone and Carplay I discovered zero problems. Even phone calls were reportedly of higher quality...
Having the BTs enable... I assume you disable the MMI BT's then, but, when I tried that, I lost music sound with the MMI, even if the option to use the car's BT it's on. Am I missing something else in the config or...?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 11:00 PM   #5736
DerIs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjule1111 View Post
I definitely would if you could..I'm running a carlinkit with the update firmware, [much thanks to muniz for helping me out ] running Android auto and I love it.. aside from learning the small quirks here and there it's pretty much best 200 I've spent on my f06 and runs pretty much flawless
I wish I had done a bit more of a research before ordering. I bought an Andream B unit, I have a few bugs here and there, from time to time, when using AA. You think if I go for a carlink unit, if it's possible to swap only the main unit, not all the cables..?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 01:56 AM   #5737
IvanK
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerIs View Post
I wish I had done a bit more of a research before ordering. I bought an Andream B unit, I have a few bugs here and there, from time to time, when using AA. You think if I go for a carlink unit, if it's possible to swap only the main unit, not all the cables..?
If you're interested I would be happy to exchange my Carlinkit with your Andream B unit... but, Carlinkit sent me a replacement unit yesterday. It should arrive on Monday so I'll check it immediately and if all works as intended I'll keep it of course, on the other hand if I keep on having the backup camera problem I will gladly exchange it for your Andream, just the MMI box for the MMI box, I am sure the cables are the same.

Let me know if you are interested in this idea.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 09:23 AM   #5738
DerIs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanK View Post
If you're interested I would be happy to exchange my Carlinkit with your Andream B unit... but, Carlinkit sent me a replacement unit yesterday. It should arrive on Monday so I'll check it immediately and if all works as intended I'll keep it of course, on the other hand if I keep on having the backup camera problem I will gladly exchange it for your Andream, just the MMI box for the MMI box, I am sure the cables are the same.

Let me know if you are interested in this idea.
Thanks for the offer, but to be honest, if you were locally, I would think about it. I still need to install the rear and front cameras. And see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 04:41 PM   #5739
Kyokushin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 428i, F32 420i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo_14 View Post
Thats bad
I saw you posted it also in reddit. Keep us updated especially if you find a possible work around. For the time being I will stay on 14.2 !
Strange to not see more reactions as this is/was a useful feature !
Pls bump it, mark, like if you can. Surely alone i will not get devs attention
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 05:08 PM   #5740
Okmr
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20

Hi everyone,

After I have read all the posts (nearly) I have decided to buy one for me. So if I understand correctly, there are two versions. One old A version and the new B version. I need it for AA, and it seems that the old version is better for this?
I have the CIC system. Are there also two versions?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 06:29 PM   #5741
tekibg
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 LCI

Hi everyone.
I have got Andream CIC unit from June and everything is doing well. But from last few days I have noticed that I-drive screen started to flickering when I start car in the cold morning or night, but it was blinking only in original idrive mode, no in carplay mode. After few miles it stops to flickering and everything is backing to normal state. Do you have any idea what is the problem?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 06:30 PM   #5742
tekibg
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okmr View Post
Hi everyone,

After I have read all the posts (nearly) I have decided to buy one for me. So if I understand correctly, there are two versions. One old A version and the new B version. I need it for AA, and it seems that the old version is better for this?
I have the CIC system. Are there also two versions?

Thanks!
For CIC only A version
Appreciate 1
Okmr0.00