F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Shuenk N55+ Turbo w/ BM3 2H Tune
Extreme Powerhouse

12-22-2023, 07:24 PM   #45
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i & 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
You know for sure the fogr requires modifying the CP? The flexibility in the coupler isnt enough?
I think this is the only video I've seen of someone installing one. I personally would bypass this and just go PI if I had the old style HPFP, and I would just do the available DI upgrades if you have the newer HPFP. I know everyone's circumstances are different, but those are the routes I would personally take.

12-23-2023, 01:25 PM   #46
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5w20 View Post
As what I stated earlier, most of the N55+ results have been of PWG results, which many use the old style HPFP.

To me it seems as lens gets bricked up when bashing Shuenk/FrankenTurbo
Yup.

Because you guys haven't been followed them since they existed.

All they advertised was "our turbos are cheaper, better than pure"

But had no actual data to back it up.

Their entire turbo kit is based on bashing another competitors turbo product, but they have no actual data to back that up, except "pure is made in China, so is ours, we buy from the same factory, except ours is made better because of our turbo fold" then proceeded to say pure copied their turbofold for the Pure750.

I'm just warning people that what they advertise, and the "data" they're showing is skewed, and requires alot more work than required and they should make sure they know what they are getting.

I had live data and reliability from PS2, but putting near 100k mile on it, through track days and cold winters to prove it.

Just like how they advertised their F55 is better than Pure750, but didn't mention that PWG gets twin scroll and EWG gets single scroll, and someone posted a 600whp ewg car, but their dyno graph showed they only had 1000rpm of usable powerband.
      12-23-2023, 09:22 PM   #47
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lens View Post
Yup.

Because you guys haven't been followed them since they existed.

All they advertised was "our turbos are cheaper, better than pure"

But had no actual data to back it up.

Their entire turbo kit is based on bashing another competitors turbo product, but they have no actual data to back that up, except "pure is made in China, so is ours, we buy from the same factory, except ours is made better because of our turbo fold" then proceeded to say pure copied their turbofold for the Pure750.

I'm just warning people that what they advertise, and the "data" they're showing is skewed, and requires alot more work than required and they should make sure they know what they are getting.

I had live data and reliability from PS2, but putting near 100k mile on it, through track days and cold winters to prove it.

Just like how they advertised their F55 is better than Pure750, but didn't mention that PWG gets twin scroll and EWG gets single scroll, and someone posted a 600whp ewg car, but their dyno graph showed they only had 1000rpm of usable powerband.
So then you proceed to post untrue information instead of trying to post unbiased information for the community? There's no reason to post false info on needing a special fuel system or fuel tweaks, that's BS propaganda like when states CTS that you need to be tuned by Jimmy on ECUtek to have good results.

The n55+ has shown to be capable and it has a broad "normal" powerband. The F55, I agree, the results haven't been spectacular.
      12-24-2023, 06:54 AM   #48
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So then you proceed to post untrue information instead of trying to post unbiased information for the community? There's no reason to post false info on needing a special fuel system or fuel tweaks, that's BS propaganda like when states CTS that you need to be tuned by Jimmy on ECUtek to have good results.

The n55+ has shown to be capable and it has a broad "normal" powerband. The F55, I agree, the results haven't been spectacular.
You do need a special fuel system.

All their data for that turbo, requires that fogr.

There was no info on just the turbo on pump fuel

It's just that and E70.

My buddy even DM them to ask for pump fuel testing on the next batch and they rejected him, telling him it would make the turbo look bad.

In his words "a low result isn't helpful because it will get misrepresented."
Meanwhile every other turbo kit, people run on every other type of fuel and post online.

Not everyone has access to E85, or 93.

When you advertise a turbo, you run all types of fuel, you run it on pump 91/93 only, or maybe add meth.

Either way, they said they were going to test 93 pump only on the EWG next.

That will give the results most people want to see.

Last edited by lens; 12-24-2023 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2023, 01:15 PM   #49
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep

Quote:
You do need a special fuel system.

All their data for that turbo, requires that fogr.

The fastest N55+ car does NOT use a Fogr. Why do you say that it is REQUIRED?

There was no info on just the turbo on pump fuel

It's just that and E70.

My buddy even DM them to ask for pump fuel testing on the next batch and they rejected him, telling him it would make the turbo look bad.

In his words "a low result isn't helpful because it will get misrepresented."
Meanwhile every other turbo kit, people run on every other type of fuel and post online.

Not everyone has access to E85, or 93.

When you advertise a turbo, you run all types of fuel, you run it on pump 91/93 only, or maybe add meth.
Does speedtech do this? Does 4N Motorsports do this? What about CTS?

Either way, they said they were going to test 93 pump only on the EWG next.

That will give the results most people want to see.
You're biased AF

You must have a major chub with how much you've bashed Shuenk/Frankenturbo.
      12-24-2023, 05:34 PM   #50
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You're biased AF

You must have a major chub with how much you've bashed Shuenk/Frankenturbo.
Attached Images

12-24-2023, 07:45 PM   #51
NEWTRON
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Quote:

Show us where pure, CTS, Vargas or DAW have posted 91ACN dyno numbers. You keep bringing this up like everyone else doesnt do the same.
VRSF RACE IC, FTP CP, VRSF CATLESS DP, BORLA ATAK CATBACK, CTS TURBO INTAKE, MST V2 INLET, PURE STAGE 2, TURBOSMART BOV,FTP TURBO OUTLET, SPOOL FX180, BM3 ETHANOL ANALYZER, PRECISION RACEWORKS COILS, BM3 STAGE 2+ E30
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 07:30 PM   #52
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTRON View Post

Show us where pure, CTS, Vargas or DAW have posted 91ACN dyno numbers. You keep bringing this up like everyone else doesnt do the same.
CTS:

https://youtube.com/shorts/eUjeB2-S2As?si=HE7GflzXRxe29UJS

Pure:

https://ibb.co/mJWnkgH
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1328259

DAW:
Pretty sure DAW stopped making N55 stuff and is B58 only.

You can find numbers for Pure and CTS pretty much on the Facebook groups and forums, but if you try to look for 91/93 numbers for N55+ or F55, they don't exist.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 09:11 PM   #53
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

I like to debate for the sake of debating. Nothing against the n55+ Frankenturbo stuff but if you want to do the job right you still have to invest into the car to support the desired fuel.

LPFP stage 2/2.5/stage 3 pump with Hobbs switch to make 600whp on full e85
This means you need an upgraded EKP outside of the “stage 3 LPFP” with Hobbs switch.
HPFP is advised to be upgraded to make things easy. D2S or spool fx200 is ideal here fo headroom.
Stock injectors are good for 500 full e85 or 600ish on a e50 blend. So you can grab s63tu injectors and get close to 700-750whp on full e85 if desired. You don’t want to run fuel injectors at higher than 90-94% duty cycle anyway.

The cost of entry is still here. The turbo itself just cheaper. After you’ve spent all of this, I’d go pure 500 or pure 700 as it’s a proven setup and custom tuning the car is drastically sped up as it’s not a new turbo to be learned.

I wish the n55 and n55+ turbo luck, but pure turbos and the BBT 3.3/3.4 kit win here for similar pricing at the moment.
IG + YT: Sqwin_n20
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 05:27 PM   #54
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwinny View Post
I like to debate for the sake of debating. Nothing against the n55+ Frankenturbo stuff but if you want to do the job right you still have to invest into the car to support the desired fuel.

LPFP stage 2/2.5/stage 3 pump with Hobbs switch to make 600whp on full e85
This means you need an upgraded EKP outside of the “stage 3 LPFP” with Hobbs switch.
HPFP is advised to be upgraded to make things easy. D2S or spool fx200 is ideal here fo headroom.
Stock injectors are good for 500 full e85 or 600ish on a e50 blend. So you can grab s63tu injectors and get close to 700-750whp on full e85 if desired. You don’t want to run fuel injectors at higher than 90-94% duty cycle anyway.

The cost of entry is still here. The turbo itself just cheaper. After you’ve spent all of this, I’d go pure 500 or pure 700 as it’s a proven setup and custom tuning the car is drastically sped up as it’s not a new turbo to be learned.

I wish the n55 and n55+ turbo luck, but pure turbos and the BBT 3.3/3.4 kit win here for similar pricing at the moment.
N55+ is $1599 no core necessary. PS2 is $2500+ core or Pure750 is $2995 with no core. The money save here is almost the cost of a stage 2 HPFP. Not to mention the additional inlet (cost of $140-220) that will be NEEDED with the Pure setups. BigBoost will always require mods to make it work out of the box, which maybe 60-70% of community will be paying someone to mod the system to get it to work.
Ok, so just to be clear and I've already posted it. There's two different turbos, the Shuenk N55+ and FrankenTurbo F55. The same company under two different umbrellas, Shuenk is more of a stock like upgrade and FrankenTurbo is more intended for maximum hybrid turbo performance.

The F55, I would personally pass on just by what I've seen results wise. If you're trying for anything 550+ I would look elsewhere. Yes, it is capable of 600whp and you're on the verge of maxing it out or you're basically maxed out. The pure750 could net you about 50 more whp and you'll be around the 650whp mark which is the highest we've seen to date. The cost of this will come will spooling like molasses from both turbos. These turbos are showing the initial torque spool on the dyno near 4000RPM or slightly above. At this power point you have the options of Speedtech, 4N Motorsports, and BigBoost. There's proof that the Speedtech with the EFR turbo to spool sooner than 4000RPM and make more than 700WHP.

I'm glad you mentioned fueling. All will require the same fueling no matter the turbo you choose. This will be based on the goals of the owner. Once you go above ~500whp, you will need more than likely need more than just a HPFP. The tuning and ethanol content will play major rolls here.

The N55+ is more for people looking for about 450-525whp range depending of you choose pump gas or an ethanol blend. It literally spools only about 300-400RPM slower than the stock one. On the dyno it's shown to move the stock torque spool from roughly 2800RPM to about 3100-3200RPM. No other option with this type of spool has shown to hit anything over 500whp. This can be accomplished with only a HPFP upgrade.

Now let's back to the higher powered builds making 550+whp. Let's be real, at this point you'd need a built transmission if you're on the 8HP because it will be on borrowed time. Let's not leave 6 speed manual made of glass out of this equation either. So IMO if you're going to build the transmission, it is pointless to stick a turbo that isn't full frame since you will now have the opportunity to make whatever power you desire.

In a nutshell, if you're trying to make less than 550whp and want a stock like spool with minimal amount of fueling upgrades I'd stick with the N55+. If you're looking to make more power, be prepared to bust out the wallet no matter which route you take. The snowball effect comes into play here if you want your vehicle to be even remotely reliable. I'd personally take the Speedtech or 4N route, being that those are higher quality full frame options.

This is all based on EWG N55's.

Last edited by 5w20; 12-27-2023 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
LA1Z24431.50
      12-28-2023, 11:57 AM   #55
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The F55, I would personally pass on just by what I've seen results wise. If you're trying for anything 550+ I would look elsewhere. Yes, it is capable of 600whp and you're on the verge of maxing it out or you're basically maxed out. The pure750 could net you about 50 more whp and you'll be around the 650whp mark which is the highest we've seen to date. The cost of this will come will spooling like molasses from both turbos. These turbos are showing the initial torque spool on the dyno near 4000RPM or slightly above. At this power point you have the options of Speedtech, 4N Motorsports, and BigBoost. There's proof that the Speedtech with the EFR turbo to spool sooner than 4000RPM and make more than 700WHP.

The N55+ is more for people looking for about 450-525whp range depending of you choose pump gas or an ethanol blend. It literally spools only about 300-400RPM slower than the stock one. On the dyno it's shown to move the stock torque spool from roughly 2800RPM to about 3100-3200RPM. No other option with this type of spool has shown to hit anything over 500whp. This can be accomplished with only a HPFP upgrade.

In a nutshell, if you're trying to make less than 550whp and want a stock like spool with minimal amount of fueling upgrades I'd stick with the N55+. If you're looking to make more power, be prepared to bust out the wallet no matter which route you take. The snowball effect comes into play here if you want your vehicle to be even remotely reliable. I'd personally take the Speedtech or 4N route, being that those are higher quality full frame options.

This is all based on EWG N55's.
The pure stage 2 with a custom tune is stock like spool and outflows the "F55 and n55+" turbos. Please note we are not referring to the stage 2+ maps from bm3 and MHD.

Obviously you are happy with your purchase, but frankenturbo/snuek has yet to be proven as reliable for the n55 platform. Pure/TTE/Project Gamma and a couple others have been proven for decades. If I am paying a shop to install this turbo, on average it's a 6-8 hour labor job for install (I dont have time to do this anymore, id prefer to pay for it to be installed while im at work). You want to buy the turbo with the power goals + reliability the first time, as paying to have the turbo swapped out/warrantied/replaced with a larger one isn't exactly cheap as labor rates are on average 200-400 an hour these days.

If your goal is 450whp you can nearly make this on the ewg stock turbo. you just need that Evolution of speed intake manifold/black market parts intake manifold + all the FBO parts (intake + turbo inlet + charge pipe + boost pipe + intercooler + turbosmart dv+ + 4" downpipe + full 3" exhaust) + bimmermilvs + HPFP + custom tune for a e60+ map. 99% of people dont do this from people screaming from the rooftops "all you need is chargepipe + intercooler + downpipe + tune" and wonder why they get beat by the FBO full e85 n20/b46 folks only making 310-320whp or so.

If you really want to find it, you can find the f55 and f55+ turbo for sale on Alibaba + aliexpress for less than what snuek is selling them for to have and ever better bang for buck. you just dont support if the turbo has manufacturing issues.

good luck, post your results when you have them. thus we can compare power band and times (1/4, draggy, etc)
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 01:13 PM   #56
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The pure stage 2 with a custom tune is stock like spool and outflows the "F55 and n55+" turbos. Please note we are not referring to the stage 2+ maps from bm3 and MHD.

Obviously you are happy with your purchase, but frankenturbo/snuek has yet to be proven as reliable for the n55 platform. Pure/TTE/Project Gamma and a couple others have been proven for decades. If I am paying a shop to install this turbo, on average it's a 6-8 hour labor job for install (I dont have time to do this anymore, id prefer to pay for it to be installed while im at work). You want to buy the turbo with the power goals + reliability the first time, as paying to have the turbo swapped out/warrantied/replaced with a larger one isn't exactly cheap as labor rates are on average 200-400 an hour these days.

If your goal is 450whp you can nearly make this on the ewg stock turbo. you just need that Evolution of speed intake manifold/black market parts intake manifold + all the FBO parts (intake + turbo inlet + charge pipe + boost pipe + intercooler + turbosmart dv+ + 4" downpipe + full 3" exhaust) + bimmermilvs + HPFP + custom tune for a e60+ map. 99% of people dont do this from people screaming from the rooftops "all you need is chargepipe + intercooler + downpipe + tune" and wonder why they get beat by the FBO full e85 n20/b46 folks only making 310-320whp or so.

If you really want to find it, you can find the f55 and f55+ turbo for sale on Alibaba + aliexpress for less than what snuek is selling them for to have and ever better bang for buck. you just dont support if the turbo has manufacturing issues.

good luck, post your results when you have them. thus we can compare power band and times (1/4, draggy, etc)

^

PS2 has also proven to make 500WHP on 93+ a bit of boostane with a custom tune and HPFP, it was done by a member here on his PWG N55.

My own N55 with PS2 before I sold it made 420AWHP/438AWTQ on 93 oct OTS on PWG N55 with stock HPFP.

point is Pure is proven across N55 for a long time now, with data to match it.
      12-28-2023, 05:42 PM   #57
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

Quote:
^

PS2 has also proven to make 500WHP on 93+ a bit of boostane with a custom tune and HPFP, it was done by a member here on his PWG N55.

My own N55 with PS2 before I sold it made 420AWHP/438AWTQ on 93 oct OTS on PWG N55 with stock HPFP.

What do you think the same setup on EWG would do? The EWG turbo is slightly larger correct?

Is the PS2 EWG and PWG the same turbo minus wastegate actuation?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 06:30 PM   #58
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1Z24 View Post
What do you think the same setup on EWG would do? The EWG turbo is slightly larger correct?

It would be similar as the “stage 2” PWG and EWG turbos are the same size. The PWG turbo is slightly smaller than the EWG stock vs stock turbo. Thus many PWG owners would get a “stage 1” turbo and outflow the EWG folks for $800 + install costs. EWG could match the “stage 1” turbos, but the power difference was ~15whp. Not many EWG could would pay 1.5k for 15whp when for 2.5k you could make 500+
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 11:57 PM   #59
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1Z24 View Post

EWG and PWG PS2 are the exact same spec turbo.

Only difference is wastegate tuning.

EWG is considerably easier and more consistent to tune, while PWG is all over the place.

I bet for custom tune, you would be able to finish a map in less than 10-15 revisions, while PWG will take double that.

If you're able to match the exact same tune as the dude, it'll be more consistent and you'll get it in fewer tries.
      12-29-2023, 05:03 AM   #60
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
EWG and PWG PS2 are the exact same spec turbo.

Only difference is wastegate tuning.

EWG is considerably easier and more consistent to tune, while PWG is all over the place.

I bet for custom tune, you would be able to finish a map in less than 10-15 revisions, while PWG will take double that.

If you're able to match the exact same tune as the dude, it'll be more consistent and you'll get it in fewer tries.
PWG also have a smaller downpipe - 3.5 vs 4" for the EWG.
As long 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Appreciate 1
LA1Z24431.50
      12-29-2023, 05:22 AM   #61
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
PWG also have a smaller downpipe - 3.5 vs 4" for the EWG.
It doesn't make that much of a difference until you make considerably more power (6-700+)
Appreciate 1
LA1Z24431.50
      12-29-2023, 01:59 PM   #62
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
I think this is the only video I've seen of someone installing one. I personally would bypass this and just go PI if I had the old style HPFP, and I would just do the available DI upgrades if you have the newer HPFP. I know everyone's circumstances are different, but those are the routes I would personally take.

Thanks for the video, hadnt seen that, ill take a look later. Unfortunately HPFP is not an option for me in California, so i need something that can run on stock tune and doesnt look like an obvious mod, so that's basically meth or Fogr
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 05:04 PM   #63
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Thanks for the video, hadnt seen that, ill take a look later. Unfortunately HPFP is not an option for me in California, so i need something that can run on stock tune and doesnt look like an obvious mod, so that's basically meth or Fogr
I wouldn't

This is equal to running meth through chargepipe.

How do you make sure the fuel is going through each cylinder equally?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 08:08 PM   #64
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep

Quote:

Enlighten me with your knowledge on how long the n55+ has been available to the public in production form. How many failures have you seen arise from these production units?

So what does your pure turbo n55 run again? Got any 60-130 or 1/4 mile data with video proof? Half your list isn’t even necessary on a stock turbo N55.
If you really want to find it, you can find the f55 and f55+ turbo for sale on Alibaba + aliexpress for less than what snuek is selling them for to have and ever better bang for buck. you just dont support if the turbo has [...]the same can be said about pure, Vargas and just about any other hybrid. Same goes for pretty much any aftermarket part available for any car. China is the manufacturing king of the world.
Quote:
^

Plus octane booster, and one that actually works. Essentially no different than doing an ethanol blend to increase octane.
That’s no major accomplishment lol. Any upgraded turbo should be able to that.

In the short time that the n55+ has been out, it’s already showing good data. For whatever reason you turn the blind eye

12-30-2023, 08:40 PM   #65
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
There is no actual data on N55+ except for the big octane numbers and virtual dynos.
Show me some that is under E50.

And making 420AWHP/438AWTQ on 91 OTS with PS2 is good numbers for stock fuel pump, it's more than the N55+ and their F55 on the same fuel

I'm not turning a blind eye, go check out their group on FB, most customers wonder the same thing and are calling out the owner too for hiding lower octane numbers because it would "affect his sales"

Last edited by lens; 12-30-2023 at 11:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 12:57 PM   #66
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
I wouldn't

This is equal to running meth through chargepipe.

How do you make sure the fuel is going through each cylinder equally?
You don't, you only go based on the success of other people running it as evidence. So i would have more hesitation for Fogr than meth, since meth is essentially a proven option. I'll probably just stick to stock fueling anyways, but like to see what other interesting options are out there.
Appreciate 0