F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
ARMA SPEED

03-09-2020, 03:59 AM   #1189
nitsuj17
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmj View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the software in post #3, I will watch that. Yes, I have the Andream unit (are people posting troubleshooting in here that don't have the Andream unit? This is the Andream thread.) The behavior where it doesn't connect is sporadic. I have spent over a week experimenting and can't find any consistency. Doesn't matter if I'm connected to home wifi or not. Doesn't matter if the phone is sitting literally inches from the Andream's antenna or not. It will sometimes just choose not to connect after doing so 10 times that day successfully.

I have CUST v2.0.2.7.gpe.b which is the newest from Andream. MCU 20.1.4.11.

Headunit is BMW_NBT.

I have not yet tried changing any of the software since it seems to be up to date. Slightly afraid of breaking something since when it does connect, all other behavior is perfect.
Andream, carlinkit, bimmertech and a few others are identical units with interchangeable software. I asked because depending on the unit and date it shipped it may have been worth trying different system and MCU updates
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 06:57 AM   #1190
astrapowerrr
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW I3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDHC View Post
Mine does not do that. When power is cut, car is locked , it switches off, bluetooth and wifi disconnect. It reconnects when i unlock the car.
And how about pre heating is than the unit on or off?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 07:42 AM   #1191
Bangher
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj17 View Post
are you listening to music on idrive through USB then?

If that's the case then you wouldn't have sound in Waze. It's either carplay or idrive for sound, not both at the same time. You would have to listen to music on carplay
Are you listening to music on idrive through USB then? YES

I would try that and see.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 11:04 AM   #1192
vamis
Rep
Drives: E93, F07

Quote:
turning it up on the steering wheel doesn't work?
It works, but also increase media volume. After the call is ended, music start to play loud as hell
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 12:42 PM   #1193
Gumdrop
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Bringing car into the dealer this friday, is there a way to disable the car from switching over to the Andream MMI interface on start up (temporarily), so the dealer isn't confused if they try to do anything in iDrive? Not worried about warranty stuff, just dont want to have to go show the tech to hold the menu button for 2 seconds ....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 12:53 PM   #1194
nitsuj17
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumdrop View Post
Bringing car into the dealer this friday, is there a way to disable the car from switching over to the Andream MMI interface on start up (temporarily), so the dealer isn't confused if they try to do anything in iDrive? Not worried about warranty stuff, just dont want to have to go show the tech to hold the menu button for 2 seconds ....
disconnect carplay/aa. just put your phone in airplane mode so it doesn't auto connect (you don't have to delete the connected devices) and switch to idrive before turning off car. next time it comes on it should only show idrive
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 04:59 PM   #1195
astrapowerrr
Netherlands
Rep

So this evening some strange happened.
Sitting on the couch in my house. Watching a movie on Facebook. Suddenly the airplay icon starts blinking blue on my iPhone. So I check the wifi of my phone. That was connected to my house. Then checked my Bluetooth. That was connected to my CarPlay??
This happened about locking the car about 3 a 4 hours ago. Didn't touch keys. How is this possible? More people with andream have this?

Also got in my car about 4 times today. Never a proper connection! Yes with Bluetooth but no with WiFi. Reset mmi and connects instant(most of the time).

It doesn't feel stable..

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 06:01 PM   #1196
nitsuj17
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrapowerrr View Post
So this evening some strange happened.
Sitting on the couch in my house. Watching a movie on Facebook. Suddenly the airplay icon starts blinking blue on my iPhone. So I check the wifi of my phone. That was connected to my house. Then checked my Bluetooth. That was connected to my CarPlay??
This happened about locking the car about 3 a 4 hours ago. Didn't touch keys. How is this possible? More people with andream have this?

Also got in my car about 4 times today. Never a proper connection! Yes with Bluetooth but no with WiFi. Reset mmi and connects instant(most of the time).

It doesn't feel stable..

Any thoughts?
I can't replicate this. Even tried manually connecting to car bt when locked and there's no signal
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 07:10 PM   #1197
Estoril235
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamis View Post
Quote:
turning it up on the steering wheel doesn't work?
It works, but also increase media volume. After the call is ended, music start to play loud as hell
This is really annoying, same problem with navigation directions.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 05:09 AM   #1198
hellstone
Registered
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Could anyone explain how to connect to wireless AA? (I've searched this thread)

I'm connected to Andream BT and WiFi, but from there on, I have no idea of what to do or what is suppose to happen. The documentation on these units leaves out how-to's for Android.

Edit: Samsung Galaxy S10

Last edited by hellstone; 03-10-2020 at 05:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 01:27 PM   #1199
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstone View Post
Could anyone explain how to connect to wireless AA? (I've searched this thread)

I'm connected to Andream BT and WiFi, but from there on, I have no idea of what to do or what is suppose to happen. The documentation on these units leaves out how-to's for Android.

Edit: Samsung Galaxy S10
Maker sure that "wireless projection" is enabled in AA's settings. You should then see a popup on the mmi screen after selecting AA in the mmi UI. Click on the popup to launch AA wirelessly.

btw...is automatic day/night mode switching working with your S10?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 02:11 AM   #1200
ce23
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 F20 118i

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with the HU. Unfortunately it is hard for me too follow this thread regularly, so I would like to ask some questions before I pull the trigger

1. I have read that some of you were able to configure a shortcut for iPhones once the phone is connected via CarPlay. Is it possible to start a certain Spotify playlist once the connection is there? Is it also possible to start Google Maps to see the traffic to work?

2. I have noticed that some of you are using Bimmertech software. Looks like they have better functionalities (you are finally able to skip tracks with the steering wheel). How big is the effort to flash the Bimmertech software? Are there any risks to be considered?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 04:25 AM   #1201
hellstone
Registered
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
Maker sure that "wireless projection" is enabled in AA's settings. You should then see a popup on the mmi screen after selecting AA in the mmi UI. Click on the popup to launch AA wirelessly.

btw...is automatic day/night mode switching working with your S10?
Thanks, enabling dev-mode with wireless projection made it connect immediately! (Strange that dev-mode is required since Samsung claims they support for wireless AA since autumn -19)

I immediately got a new issue however, the phone loses it's internet connection when connected to the Andream wifi. The Android setting "automatically switch to data plan" has an exception for certain wifi-networks, where Andream wifi is listed. Removing this exception just causes the phone to drop the wifi and switch to 4G.

What am I missing?

I got in contact with Andream support, it seems they have no clue about anything, for example they said no Samsung phones are compatible with wireless AA. Constantly calling me 'friend' doesn't make up for lack of actual technical support.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 06:53 AM   #1202
nitsuj17
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ce23 View Post
Thank you all for sharing your experiences with the HU. Unfortunately it is hard for me too follow this thread regularly, so I would like to ask some questions before I pull the trigger

1. I have read that some of you were able to configure a shortcut for iPhones once the phone is connected via CarPlay. Is it possible to start a certain Spotify playlist once the connection is there? Is it also possible to start Google Maps to see the traffic to work?

2. I have noticed that some of you are using Bimmertech software. Looks like they have better functionalities (you are finally able to skip tracks with the steering wheel). How big is the effort to flash the Bimmertech software? Are there any risks to be considered?
1. You can make a shortcut to open Google maps when connecting to carplay, but I don't think you can set up that flow with non default apps (non apple) to start directions/traffic...I could be wrong but I couldn't see a way to do that in scripting but others may be able to chime in. I know you can launch directions via shortcuts with apple maps though. Until April allows other map apps to use carplay split screen I only use that (hopefully in iOS 14 we can use g maps or Waze)

Same with apple music and playlists/stations/albums. I am not sure about Spotify.

2. You can't skip tracks via the steering wheel like in idrive since the click wheel navigates the carplay interface in lieu of touchscreen. You can click it to change tracks if the cursor is over the next or back buttons (same with idrive wheel) or you can use the track buttons on the head unit or click left or right on idrive wheel
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:50 AM   #1203
synapsef
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

Apologies if I have missed this in the thread somewhere...
Just got one of these installed and it's working perfectly so far.

Is there a way to get back to the box's main screen (the black screen with the WirelessDev and Setup options on it) when you are already connected to CarPlay?

It's not a massive issue but right now if I want to change a setting on the box I have to manually disable carplay on the phone which is a bit annoying.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:59 AM   #1204
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by synapsef View Post
Apologies if I have missed this in the thread somewhere...
Just got one of these installed and it's working perfectly so far.

Is there a way to get back to the box's main screen (the black screen with the WirelessDev and Setup options on it) when you are already connected to CarPlay?

It's not a massive issue but right now if I want to change a setting on the box I have to manually disable carplay on the phone which is a bit annoying.

Cheers
Go to the BMW icon in the Apps.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 03:00 PM   #1205
BimmerPostUser
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Just had to register to thank you all for all the great info.

Installing the Andream box was straight forward but putting it back together was not. I have the Harmon HU so space was really tight. I somehow managed to tuck the box next to the glove but not completely and forced the head unit back in and screwed it in.

Anyway everything is fully functional, stock 360 camera works too. One problem I’m having like most here is the auto connect issue.

My iPhone 11 connects to the Andream WiFi seamlessly but I would sometimes have to go into settings and tap on the Bluetooth to jump start wireless CarPlay. Once in awhile CarPlay will load up just fine. I even resetted the Bluetooth in Andream too. Maybe cause I’m on the public beta 13.4?

Siri and Navigation volume is also low. I wonder if we can increase that some how like the stock Bluetooth idrive.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 04:34 PM   #1206
nitsuj17
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril235 View Post
Have you tried changing the volume for nav directions on your iPhone at all?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #1207
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Here a new navigation app compatible with CarPlay

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/here-w...on/id955837609
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 04:37 PM   #1208
Estoril235
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, still too low when music is at a reasonable level.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 04:38 PM   #1209
nitsuj17
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerPostUser View Post
Just had to register to thank you all for all the great info.

Installing the Andream box was straight forward but putting it back together was not. I have the Harmon HU so space was really tight. I somehow managed to tuck the box next to the glove but not completely and forced the head unit back in and screwed it in.

Anyway everything is fully functional, stock 360 camera works too. One problem I’m having like most here is the auto connect issue.

My iPhone 11 connects to the Andream WiFi seamlessly but I would sometimes have to go into settings and tap on the Bluetooth to jump start wireless CarPlay. Once in awhile CarPlay will load up just fine. I even resetted the Bluetooth in Andream too. Maybe cause I’m on the public beta 13.4?

Siri and Navigation volume is also low. I wonder if we can increase that some how like the stock Bluetooth idrive.
Have you tried different combinations of MCU and system updates? I'm on 13.4 latest beta and 95% of the time carplay starts when I unlock the car (get the shortcut notification).

The few times it's not instant is usually when I'm on home wifi or my Galaxy watch is syncing with my iPhone. In that case I'll see the idrive screen for la few seconds, then the mmi, then carplay launches (all within about 20 seconds) but that's the exception to the rule. I have the carlinkit unit with latest MCU and software updates
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 04:40 PM   #1210
astrapowerrr
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, still too low when music is at a reasonable level.
I hook up with your finding.
It works perfect. But the first connection is sometimes a pain in the ass. I resetted also everything. So I'm following the comments.
Appreciate 0