F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
Extreme Powerhouse

12-12-2019, 04:16 PM   #111
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantanas View Post
But if I want to take it easy what do I need?
Everything you need to know was nicely organized by Firefly1337 on Pg1. Including install videos.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 04:30 PM   #112
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
Quote:
That is always a good backup....

But if I want to take it easy what do I need?
T20 torx screwdriver should be all you really need (unless you have to remove the glovebox then you might need more tools).

You can remove the dash trim (air vent) with just your fingers, just be careful pulling out the passenger side where it goes thin as they can be a little fragile going by some of the used ones i've seen for sale on ebay.
If it's decent weather this weekend I am going to drop my glovebox and move the unit. It's quite crammed under the ID and gets a tad warm!
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 04:35 PM   #113
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrymcg View Post
If it's decent weather this weekend I am going to drop my glovebox and move the unit. It's quite crammed under the ID and gets a tad warm!
Where did you mount your wi-fi antenna ?

I was thinking of putting it next to the i-drive controller (on the underside obviously), so that it's more in the middle of the car for best all round signal.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 04:37 PM   #114
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Where did you mount your wi-fi antenna ?

I was thinking of putting it next to the i-drive controller (on the underside obviously), so that it's more in the middle of the car for best all round signal.
I just have it loose under the flap below the climate panel, not stuck to anything yet. It works great to be fair. But I just dropped everything in quickly a fortnight ago with a view to tidying up! Just not got to it yet.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 05:01 PM   #115
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

If it works ok there, then I guess I will do the same, save sticking it down as I doubt it can move when that flap is in place.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #116
Ha11z
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335xD GT

Quote:
DHL must be watching this thread, tracking just updated to show it's arrived in the UK and is due to be delivered tomorrow.
Mines not updated on dhl yet
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #117
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha11z View Post
Mines not updated on dhl yet
You chose to ship from Spain though, which was a slower option than from CZ
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 06:47 PM   #118
touchmynappa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvward View Post
I am about to install the wireless MMI in to my M240i (NBT Evo id4) to get access to CarPlay and its functions. I am really grateful for getting the benefit of your collective experience in the installation of the kit and your thoughts about its use.

Can I ask, I presume that apart from a few small issues that will hopefully get sorted out via updated firmware that you are all pretty positive about the benefits that it brings to cars such as ours?
Installation is really easy. Just a bit nervous first time when removing the panels and some connectors.

For all my complaining about some software issues, it's an amazing little box for $240 (tax and toll free no less). Especially when paired with an 8.8" screen upgrade from 6.5" as I did. Wired AA works really well with Google Assistant. Wireless AA a bit unstable. Sound quality is great. I didn't test CarPlay, but I would guess that's where the supplier, whoever it is, puts most of their software efforts.

If I would buy again, I would try to figure out which supplier is the true source of the hardware/provides the most frequent software updates. Perhaps it's Andream but I'm not so sure.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 09:20 PM   #119
arhoads335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i grand coupe xdrive

Garage List
2008 BMW 128I  [0.00]
Question.
How's the music sound quality?
I plug my phone in the usb right now and it sounds amazing compared to by music. Would I lose that quality with the box?
08 128i 6MT (SOLD) / 08 335i 6MT Pure stage 1 (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 09:47 PM   #120
tardboi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive MSport

Does anyone know if google maps will show turn by turn on the HUD with this?
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 10:39 PM   #121
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardboi View Post
Does anyone know if google maps will show turn by turn on the HUD with this?
No it doesn't
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 01:23 AM   #122
stvward
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmynappa View Post
Installation is really easy. Just a bit nervous first time when removing the panels and some connectors.

For all my complaining about some software issues, it's an amazing little box for $240 (tax and toll free no less). Especially when paired with an 8.8" screen upgrade from 6.5" as I did. Wired AA works really well with Google Assistant. Wireless AA a bit unstable. Sound quality is great. I didn't test CarPlay, but I would guess that's where the supplier, whoever it is, puts most of their software efforts.

If I would buy again, I would try to figure out which supplier is the true source of the hardware/provides the most frequent software updates. Perhaps it's Andream but I'm not so sure.
Thank you. Yes I am a bit nervous about taking things apart. I also have an 8.8 " screen to install so quite an upgrade overall. Just need to get it done. Hopefully tomorrow if the weather is kind.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 03:42 AM   #123
touchmynappa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i

Quote:
Thank you. Yes I am a bit nervous about taking things apart. I also have an 8.8 " screen to install so quite an upgrade overall. Just need to get it done. Hopefully tomorrow if the weather is kind.
You may want to code in the 8.8" screen first, then install the Andream MMI. Else you may run into the same issue as me, where it's not possible to code the head unit while the Andream MMI is connected. Then you have to unplug the MMI, code wide display, and reconnect it which is annoying as ****. This might only be an issue on model year 2016. HU_NBT/ID4 (small evo I think).
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 04:06 AM   #124
mastrchee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
I am about to install the wireless MMI in to my M240i (NBT Evo id4) to get access to CarPlay and its functions. I am really grateful for getting the benefit of your collective experience in the installation of the kit and your thoughts about its use.

Can I ask, I presume that apart from a few small issues that will hopefully get sorted out via updated firmware that you are all pretty positive about the benefits that it brings to cars such as ours?
Definitely! It's best money I've spent on a car. I barely ever switch to iDrive anymore. CarPlay is so much better for the average user who just wants better navigation and streaming music. I don't make enough calls while driving, so that's not really a problem for me, but iDrive BT is there as a backup. Having said that, WhatsApp seems to work really well with Siri though.

The only issue I personally have is with changing music when navigation is on, but I got myself a little bluetooth remote, which does the job really well - like a mini iDrive dial for carplay.

I'm also waiting delivery of a 10.25" screen from an X5/X6 - hopefully, that's going to make it even better.

*note: I plugged in my partner's Pixel 3 to test android auto and found that graphics are stretched to fit the widescreen - I don't think android auto is natively widescreen, at least on this unit. The resolution seems a little janky too, where as carplay seems to be 1:1 in terms of pixels.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 04:17 AM   #125
mastrchee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhoads335i View Post
Question.
How's the music sound quality?
I plug my phone in the usb right now and it sounds amazing compared to by music. Would I lose that quality with the box?
It's surprisingly good, almost as good as direct usb - I honestly can't tell the difference.

I've played around with the EQ for my liking though - didn't 100% like it out of the box. I've set the unit audio volume to 14 and iDrive aux volume to 1. I found with my eq settings, max volume on the carplay unit distorts the audio a tad bit.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 04:21 AM   #126
mastrchee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mine's under the main HU too - does your's heat up a lot?

Mine doesn't appear to get that hot, I presume because there's no load on the main HU at all now.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 04:39 AM   #127
stvward
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmynappa View Post
You may want to code in the 8.8" screen first, then install the Andream MMI. Else you may run into the same issue as me, where it's not possible to code the head unit while the Andream MMI is connected. Then you have to unplug the MMI, code wide display, and reconnect it which is annoying as ****. This might only be an issue on model year 2016. HU_NBT/ID4 (small evo I think).
Yes I have Bimmercode at the ready to code the 8.8" screen before disconnecting the negative battery terminal and installing the MMI. Appreciate the advice.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 04:42 AM   #128
stvward
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrchee View Post
Definitely! It's best money I've spent on a car. I barely ever switch to iDrive anymore. CarPlay is so much better for the average user who just wants better navigation and streaming music. I don't make enough calls while driving, so that's not really a problem for me, but iDrive BT is there as a backup. Having said that, WhatsApp seems to work really well with Siri though.

The only issue I personally have is with changing music when navigation is on, but I got myself a little bluetooth remote, which does the job really well - like a mini iDrive dial for carplay.

I'm also waiting delivery of a 10.25" screen from an X5/X6 - hopefully, that's going to make it even better.

*note: I plugged in my partner's Pixel 3 to test android auto and found that graphics are stretched to fit the widescreen - I don't think android auto is natively widescreen, at least on this unit. The resolution seems a little janky too, where as carplay seems to be 1:1 in terms of pixels.
Thank you for your thoughts. I plan to get it installed tomorrow and looking forward to using it.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 05:11 AM   #129
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Can you put a link to your install of this on this thread please (when you do it).
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 05:12 AM   #130
mastrchee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Can you put a link to your install of this on this thread please (when you do it).
sure, hopefully will get it before christmas.

Last edited by mastrchee; 12-13-2019 at 05:30 AM..
Appreciate 2
cossie1626.00
      12-13-2019, 07:23 AM   #131
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: F33 435d

Quote:
Quote:
Just got mine and I installed it.

It works very well!! Sound very good with the HK. No complains.

The only problem is that the settings are in Chinese. Any idea how to change?
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 07:26 AM   #132
mastrchee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just got mine and I installed it.

It works very well!! Sound very good with the HK. No complains.

The only problem is that the settings are in Chinese. Any idea how to change?
It's the first option under settings if I remember correctly. The picture is what Andream sent me sometime ago.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1