F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > H&R Sport + Bilstein B8
GetBMWParts

11-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #111
Jchan112
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i F30

Thanks!! I didn't know it was a min of 50mm drop at the highest setting... That would definitely be too low for me since I have the front splitter
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #112
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport, X1, 525d

Please post some pics!! Can't wait to see the F30 with H&R Sports + B8.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #113
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchan112 View Post
Im on h&r sports but for the cost of the bilsteins + install again I'm debating if I should sell my springs and just get bc coilovers.. Haven't seen any bad reviews about them yet, and it'll just be about $200 more...? What do you guys think??
I'd be concerned about how well $800 coilovers would hold up to be perfectly honest.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #114
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Please post some pics!! Can't wait to see the F30 with H&R Sports + B8.
A photo was already posted (..page 3, post #52). If you want to see what the drop will be like, look for photos of any F30 on H&R Sports. The B8 shocks won't change the visual profile of the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 12:46 AM   #115
rxander
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_F30 View Post
@Infamouz627

@rxander
Work was done at TAGmotorsports. They have a brand new shop in Vista. Very cool shop. They work on some very high end cars that put mine to shame.

The Bilstein Kit you linked to looks very cool. Coil overs up front and standard in the rear. I like that it's a set and has been matched by Bilstein from the get go. Price is seems reasonable. Maybe slightly more expensive than the shock strut combo. I had no idea this kit was out there.
Many thanks for the info. Tag Motosports has a solid rep. Did your labor cost include alignment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchan112 View Post
Im on h&r sports but for the cost of the bilsteins + install again I'm debating if I should sell my springs and just get bc coilovers.. Haven't seen any bad reviews about them yet, and it'll just be about $200 more...? What do you guys think??
Vs the Bilsteins, owe it to yourself and your car to not get the BC. Not saying they're are bad but Bilstein is a better quality brand. If anything I would go with the Bilstein coilovers I linked for a little over 1k. I'm sure you can get it bargained down at a reputable local shop.

Last edited by rxander; 11-17-2013 at 12:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #116
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
This thread is getting me thinking more and more about suspension options...
I have DHP, so the suspension in the Sport setting is not bad, but I'd definitely like something a little firmer to control body roll.

I've been patiently waiting for the Dinan Shockware option (basically EDC tuning and stiffer springs), but I'm losing patience as I'm getting the feeling that Dinan isn't as close to releasing this as they've initially indicated...
Plus, I'm wondering whether adjustable dampers are really what I'm looking for. Based on the premise that spring rates should be matched to a specific damper curve, how could any one particular spring work well with different damper firmness settings? (@Sedan_Clan, since you've owned a few cars with coilovers as well as M3s with EDCs, what are you thoughts on this?)

At this point, in lieu of continuing to hold out for the Dinan Shockware kit, I'm considering Bilstein shocks / H&R springs, or the M Performance Suspension kit

Or possibly just splitting the difference for the time being and trying M Performance springs on my current EDC Sport dampers.
@shivaswrath, you upgraded to MPS, correct? Was this coming from DHP dampers? What are your thoughts?
      11-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #117
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
Based on the premise that spring rates should be matched to a specific damper curve, how could any one particular spring work well with different damper firmness settings? (@Sedan_Clan, since you've owned a few cars with coilovers as well as M3s with EDCs, what are you thoughts on this?)

At this point, in lieu of continuing to hold out for the Dinan Shockware kit, I'm considering Bilstein shocks / H&R springs, or the M Performance Suspension kit

It's definitely possible. If you look at your traditional coilover kit with adjustable rebound/dampening, that spring is designed to work within the range of adjustability of that shock/strut. Custom choosing the spring rates (...an option when you're buying kits from Ground Control, etc.) allows you to fine tune the amount of chassis stiffness you want, but the adjustable shock/strut is still designed to work with the fixed spring rate. I will be able to offer my feedback on the Bilstein/H&R combo on Friday.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #118
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
If you look at your traditional coilover kit with adjustable rebound/dampening, that spring is designed to work within the range of adjustability of that shock/strut.
Good point... so I guess the spring rate/damper curve matching doesn't need to be super precise

Quote:
I will be able to offer my feedback on the Bilstein/H&R combo on Friday.
I look forward to this. Have you ever driven on an MPS setup? Would be great to have a comparison of these two...

I'm starting to seriously consider getting a set of M Performance springs to go with my DHP dampers as an interim measure... minimal expense, and with a little bump stop trimming, the travel should be equal to stock but at a firmer spring rate (which would hopefully be more attuned to the firmer "Sport" setting range of the EDC damper curve.)
      11-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #119
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Good point... so I guess the spring rate/damper curve matching doesn't need to be super precise
I don't believe that it needs to be needle-point precise, however I do feel that there is a "sweet spot" with any shock/strut/spring combo, which is why shocks/struts that are developed along with a set spring (..as it seems to be with Bilstein/H&R) seem to work really, really well. I believe that shock/strut adjustability is analogous to rev limits. Sure, the shock/strut can be adjusted along a range (..and an M3 can rev to 8000 RPM's), but the sweet spot for that shock/strut mated to a spring will likely not need to exploit the full range of adjustability (..much like the sweet spot for shifting may be at 7800 RPM despite the fact that the car can muster an additional 200 RPM; shifting at 8000 may provide no additional gain). I feel like I'm rambling. LOL!

Quote:
I look forward to this. Have you ever driven on an MPS setup? Would be great to have a comparison of these two...

I'm starting to seriously consider getting a set of M Performance springs to go with my DHP dampers as an interim measure... minimal expense, and with a little bump stop trimming, the travel should be equal to stock but at a firmer spring rate (which would hopefully be more attuned to the firmer "Sport" setting range of the EDC damper curve.)
I've never been in a car with MPS, but I've been in a car with DHP. Compared to my M-Sport dampers, I'd take DHP any day of the week. I'd be curious to know how a DHP/H&R combo would fare. I performed something similar on my most recent E9X M3's. Both were equipped with EDC and were mated to H&R's. I used E36 M3 bump stops and trimmed the top part of the two front shocks (..required a bit of grinding to remove some material). The combo worked extremely well and maintained OEM travel. The differences between the EDC modes were much more apparent.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #120
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'd be curious to know how a DHP/H&R combo would fare. I performed something similar on my most recent E9X M3's. Both were equipped with EDC and were mated to H&R's. I used E36 M3 bump stops and trimmed the top part of the two front shocks (..required a bit of grinding to remove some material). The combo worked extremely well and maintained OEM travel. The differences between the EDC modes were much more apparent.
Cool... I'm thinking I'll try this approach first - except with the MPS springs, as the drop is only about 10mm, versus over 30mm (front) for the H&R sports. I have the MPerf front splitter, so I'm already pushing it in terms of clearance : /
The springs that Dinan sells to match up with their Shockware are also about 10-12mm lower (based on what they currently offer for the 550s), so they're probably very similar to the MPS springs if I do eventually get their Shockware tune... or, I could always go the full MPS route and get the matching dampers.
      11-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #121
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Quote:
That would be an option too, and I also considered it briefly. I guess it depends on whether or not you adjust height often. In all my years of owning C/O kits, never once have I adjusted height once set the first time, and rarely did I change the rebound/compression (..the latter was easiest with the TEIN set-ups, but even then I rarely touched it). I like the way the H&R's sit, so I see no point in paying the extra money for adjustment features that I'll never use. For what I need, the H&R/Bilstein combo is perfect.
when do you get yours installed? post the review asap! ha.
      11-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #122
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
when do you get yours installed? post the review asap! ha.
Friday afternoon. Three days and counting.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #123
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Quote:
Friday afternoon. Three days and counting.
Awesome!
      11-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #124
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
Quote:
My first choice for DHP upgrade is still the yet-to-be-released Dinan shockware with matching springs and bump stops. The guys at Dinan say they really like the stock EDC dampers, and that the results with their kit are so good that they will no longer offer upgraded dampers for cars with EDC shocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC
The springs that Dinan sells to match up with their Shockware are also about 10-12mm lower (based on what they currently offer for the 550s), so they're probably very similar to the MPS springs if I do eventually get their Shockware tune...
You probably already know this but Dinan has said that they're also happy with the OE sport springs as well as the dampers, so they'll just be adding/coordinating bump stops and sway bar. I wonder how much they'll charge if they don't offer springs or dampers with stage 1? I'm sure they have to charge for reprogramming the stock dampers.

Last edited by stevehecht; 11-28-2013 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #125
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehecht View Post
You probably already know this but Dinan has said that they're also happy with the OE sport springs as well as the dampers, so they'll just be adding/coordinating bump stops and sway bar. I wonder how much they'll charge if they don't offer springs or dampers with stage 1? I'm sure they have to charge for reprogramming the stock dampers.
I believe it's just the dampers they're happy with; they plan to offer springs and bump stops to start in January until they get the ECU encryption sorted out for Shockware. (No reason to offer a new bump stop unless shortening the spring/travel range.) Haven't heard anything about stiffer sway bars... that'd be cool though
      11-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #126
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, my memory got that mixed up.
      11-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #127
BradSCantor
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT//DHP

I think this is my first time posting on this site but because my name got dropped I guess I gotta jump in. All I know about the whole Dinan thing is what the rep told me on the phone. I think his name is Scott. He said they were about 60 days from releasing a suspension tune and that they really liked the springs that come in the DHP cars. Thats pretty much all he said...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #128
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Presumably the release date for stage 1 is only about 60 days away, so time will tell!
      02-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #129
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport, X1, 525d

A bit off topic, but will the H&R Sports be compatible with the *B6* shocks? Will the car sit higher if I use the B6 with H&R Sports?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 06:15 AM   #130
Geezer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Any word on B8s for xi being available?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #131
juanma428i
Rep
Drives: 428i

cool
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #132
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_F30
I didn't say it above but that's what I was thinking. This is absolutely the way the car should have come stock, as a SPORT LINE. I have not driven an M-Sport. I have not driven the base suspension. This is without a doubt what a SPORT LINE should have felt like from the get go. I am definitely a little bitter that I had to spend extra funds to make this car what it should have been, but I am equally annoyed at myself for buying it when I knew it wasn't exactly the way I thought it should be.

@VIP, I don't know how this car would handle with coilovers but I can tell you I am very satisfied with the way the car drives with this set up. If you're really on the fence come on down to SD and we'll go for a drive! As far as comparisons go. It feels like a slightly larger version of my old e46 325i. The e46 sat a little lower but my new setup on the F30 is just as flat in the curves. I'll tell you what it's not. It's nothing like Scion FRS I just test drove. I liked the sporty handling of that little beast. I liked how flat it was in the curves, but it was just too harsh and really quite bouncy when the road was anything but smooth. Fun car though!

All this being said, my biggest complaint on my baby has been fixed. On to the next issue...
I'm IN SD and trying to decide what set-up to go with for my '14 M-Sport. Would love to go for a ride to see if the H&R+B8 is what I'm looking for. You avail? (I'm going to do AutoX Sunday if you're around

Traded 9-1-13 '13 Estoril Blue II F30 - 328i - ZMM - ZPP -ZDY - ZTB - 403 - 465 - 494 - 4DX- LC (Black) - 6NL
Appreciate 0