F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > The ONLY thing I HATE about my f30 is...
proTUNING Freaks

08-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #133
Adaptive
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i xdrive

The suspension is way too soft!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 09:39 PM   #134
monkiboy
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: '17 x5 3.5i w/MPPK & MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb2027 View Post
I've looked into that, but I'm an Android guy, so possibly try Carly instead.
me too but thankfully have some apple devices laying around. even if you just borrow an apple device i think would make for a better experience than using carly which so many folks have trouble with coupled with their poor support and functionality.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 12:24 AM   #135
Matteo88
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 6MT ZUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
The alternator is tied to the engine, not the transmission. Also, physics will tell you that "coasting" is the most efficient use of momentum; to remain "in gear" essentially slows down the car due to engine braking/friction.
really hesitating here because this is a bit off-topic but will respond at least once . i get what you are saying and having a background in the sciences, agree that coasting is a positive contributor to efficiency however given the choice between coasting in neutral with fuel being fed to the engine to idle it, and remaining in gear (preferably the highest possible) with the car's kinetic energy all that is needed to keep the engine running with no fuel needed, the latter is using less fuel.

also with regards to the alternator, i'm not completely familiar with "efficient dynamics" other than what i've read on the website and from a test drive but understood that the battery only gets charged when this is engaged and this is typically done when the car has motion and the driver is off the gas. you're saying a third condition, engine at idle (fuel injectors firing) is also required to engage it?
- 2003 RSX Type S 6MT
Appreciate 1
AudiA4649.00
      08-08-2017, 04:14 AM   #136
SweEngineer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: EV6 GT-line

My first post here on Bimmerpost but I have been following this community for many years now.
I had a E60 525i with m-sport pack for 8 years and I loved that car. Except for the engine which was a slouch everything was perfectly tuned on that car.
When the 4-series GC came I was immediatly impressed by the design and therefore I purchased a 428 X-drive GC M-sport in october 2016.
I must admit that when i testdrove the 428 earlier in 2015 it felt a bit different to my car (must have been a RWD).
What I have been irritated about is that this car besides from the design is far from perfect. I have simply never fallen in love with it.
My complaints:

-The engine lacks character, it's deffinately fast but it's not an engine that BMW should be so proud of. Remember I had a slouch earlier, that inline 6 was not even close to the powerband that the 428 has but it had the BMW dna.

- The VSS is a nightmare! I can't get it right with the VSS, not a single mode works good. It's either super light or it's stiff but it's not stiff in the right places. I just hate it!
I asked BMW if they had a software update for it a few weeks ago when I took it to service, but they said that if there is one they are going to charge me for it...imagine my frustration.

-The suspension (oh god), how can they get it so wrong?
Feels like a sponge. This is supposed to be a sports coupe, how can BMW allow such a crappy feeling in the suspension it's not even remotely sporty.

- Wind noise is brutal! I've driven the Audi a5 sportback earlier and I can't remember it was this loud. This thing is just too loud.

-The seats are by no means comfortable for long journeys. After so many years in the competition you would think they can at least make a decent seat. Again the seats in the 5-series are years better!

I must admit that it's the first car that I put so much effort in tuning the looks of it.
I have installed carbon fiber parts and done some M-performance mods and put on new rims. But that felt necessary in order to give it the edge.
So I hate to be the one that just writes about all the bad experience first but honestly how can BMW make a car that needs so much tweeking in order to feel good. I can only do something about the suspension, but then I have to wait for the warranty to expire. The other tweeks such as steering and lack of character or the wind noise are impossible for me to do anything about.
I have been a die hard BMW fan for as long as I can remember but honestly I think this is my last BMW, just didn't think I would ever think this way after owning this beautiful design.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 06:56 AM   #137
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo88 View Post
Quote:
The alternator is tied to the engine, not the transmission. Also, physics will tell you that "coasting" is the most efficient use of momentum; to remain "in gear" essentially slows down the car due to engine braking/friction.
really hesitating here because this is a bit off-topic but will respond at least once . i get what you are saying and having a background in the sciences, agree that coasting is a positive contributor to efficiency however given the choice between coasting in neutral with fuel being fed to the engine to idle it, and remaining in gear (preferably the highest possible) with the car's kinetic energy all that is needed to keep the engine running with no fuel needed, the latter is using less fuel.

also with regards to the alternator, i'm not completely familiar with "efficient dynamics" other than what i've read on the website and from a test drive but understood that the battery only gets charged when this is engaged and this is typically done when the car has motion and the driver is off the gas. you're saying a third condition, engine at idle (fuel injectors firing) is also required to engage it?
Unless BMW is doing something entirely unique (I don't believe there's a clutch that engages/disengages), the alternator is belt driven off of the engine. It doesn't matter if you're in gear or if you're in motion. That's why, typically, your battery will charge if your car simply starts and is idling in park (or Neutral in my case with a 6MT...ha!).

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 07:58 AM   #138
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

Quote:
Can you "code" the TPMS readout in iDrive with the bimercode app? Does the car require different hardware at the tire stem valve?
I don't know what software we used, but yes, it was just coded. no physical changes of any kind.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 1
AudiA4649.00
      08-08-2017, 12:02 PM   #139
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
The only thing I hate so far is not being able to find a 2017 340XI 6MT w/ both M-packages but without either of the premium packages; that I dont want. A gazillion 8AT are available but only one or two 6MT per dealer... And I just cant convince myself to go with the 8AT. It just blows to have to pay for a $6500 useless package just so I can get a 6MT. #realworldproblems

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]

Last edited by MaximusJ; 08-08-2017 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 03:29 PM   #140
monkiboy
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, is it really that much better? I guess I can use the wife's iPhone, LOL!
Are there any in-app costs or is it completely free (I just have to get a compatible OBD adapter)?
it allows for simple one swipe activation for most popular mods including video in motion at any speed. then anything not already configured this way, you can use "expert mode" and code anything you like with an easy search of the module or field. the developer is a member on the boards and constantly provides updates and is very quick to reply to assist customers.

no in-app costs once activated. download is free to try a demo. to connect and code, you pay 35 or some bucks. so that plus the dongle and you have unlimited coding ability.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #141
440GCSTL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Thanks, is it really that much better? I guess I can use the wife's iPhone, LOL!
Are there any in-app costs or is it completely free (I just have to get a compatible OBD adapter)?
When you get the adapter and open up that box it will tell you to download some other app for like $10...don't be an idiot like me and do that. The only thing you need to buy is the adapter and then unlock the bimmercode app. I'm a first time coder and it made the process super easy.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #142
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440GCSTL View Post
Quote:
When you get the adapter and open up that box it will tell you to download some other app for like $10...don't be an idiot like me and do that. The only thing you need to buy is the adapter and then unlock the bimmercode app. I'm a first time coder and it made the process super easy.
How much is the dongle and where can it be purchased?

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 09:17 PM   #143
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo88 View Post
you cannot cruise in gear without using fuel unless you are going down a steep hill. you have to have some throttle input to overcome the friction in your drivetrain.

just try this: while driving on the highway, lift your foot off of the pedal. the car will not continue to maintain your cruising speed. rather it will begin slowing down pretty quickly. now do the same exercise, but shift into neutral when you lift your foot. the car will roll for some time before it begins slowing down.

you'll notice that even when using cruise control on an open road, your car is always applying some throttle and using some fuel to maintain your cruising speed. quite simply, the fuel used at idle is less than the fuel used by your car to maintain speed while it's in gear.

the only other option would be to lift, and then apply gas to get back up to speed, but you use more fuel when accelerating than maintaining speed. that's why even basic cruise control tends to net better gas mileage than trying to maintain speed yourself (because you typically go in and out of throttle).

i think it's an awesome feature, but i do wish you didn't need to be in eco pro mode for it to be enabled.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 12:20 AM   #144
monkiboy
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
check out the app site: http://www.bimmercodeapp.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 06:26 AM   #145
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkiboy View Post
Quote:
check out the app site: http://www.bimmercodeapp.com/
Yes, thanks...sorry. I've since checked that out. I shouldn't have clogged the forum with such a simple question.

However, here's a legitimate question: how do I know if I have the hardware to code idrive to show tire pressure psi? I don't know if I have the right stems (TPMS).

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #146
f30ser3
Private
Rep
Drives: On foot

Has anybody problems with windscreen wipers speed? When I put them on manual "I" and if I then regulate speed with spinning button, it is same speed if have that spinning button at the end of + or at the end of -. No difference in speed whatsoever and at program "I" wipers are way too fast.... Can be that speed regulated with tester at BMW service?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #147
Katin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30ser3 View Post
Has anybody problems with windscreen wipers speed? When I put them on manual "I" and if I then regulate speed with spinning button, it is same speed if have that spinning button at the end of + or at the end of -. No difference in speed whatsoever and at program "I" wipers are way too fast.... Can be that speed regulated with tester at BMW service?
I don't have that exact problem but I do note that there isn't much difference in the sensitivity between adjustments.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #148
Matteo88
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 6MT ZUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
you cannot cruise in gear without using fuel unless you are going down a steep hill. you have to have some throttle input to overcome the friction in your drivetrain.

just try this: while driving on the highway, lift your foot off of the pedal. the car will not continue to maintain your cruising speed. rather it will begin slowing down pretty quickly. now do the same exercise, but shift into neutral when you lift your foot. the car will roll for some time before it begins slowing down.

you'll notice that even when using cruise control on an open road, your car is always applying some throttle and using some fuel to maintain your cruising speed. quite simply, the fuel used at idle is less than the fuel used by your car to maintain speed while it's in gear.
i agree with everything you said about cruising above. i was referring to coasting not cruising (maintaining a set speed). in your first example of driving on the highway and lifting off the gas--that's what i'm talking about--with the drivetrain friction being overcome by the kinetic energy of the car. the car will decelerate due to this and due to air resistance. In your second example you removed the drivetrain friction but the air resistance is still decelerating the vehicle.
- 2003 RSX Type S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 04:48 PM   #149
Ishan99
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30ser3 View Post
Try it out the next time you drive in heavy rain. You will see the change in sensitivity.
Follow @Black_Lux_Cars on IG
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 04:49 PM   #150
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Black 330i xDrive

Garage List
Wind noise and the suspension isn't very cushioned, you can feel every little bump.
      08-11-2017, 06:29 PM   #151
Katin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Figueroa View Post
Wind noise and the suspension isn't very cushioned, you can feel every little bump.
The suspension comment is a first for this forum. Bravo for having the individuality for expressing. Don't be surprised by the haters who want their kidneys hurt and piss blood after a nice drive in an f30. Teehee!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 09:36 PM   #152
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Black 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Figueroa View Post
The suspension comment is a first for this forum. Bravo for having the individuality for expressing. Don't be surprised by the haters who want their kidneys hurt and piss blood after a nice drive in an f30. Teehee!!!
Hahah it's not a bad ride don't get me wrong, but I guess not something you would expect for the ultimate driving machine. Lol
      08-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #153
cosmicdebris48059
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue 2014 335i M Sport

After driving in some rain yesterday I realized I hate the auto wipers!!! What happened to the delay feature that allowed me to set the interval I feel appropriate and want to drive with!?...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #154
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
The only thing I hate so far is not being able to find a 2017 340XI 6MT w/ both M-packages but without either of the premium packages; that I dont want. A gazillion 8AT are available but only one or two 6MT per dealer... And I just cant convince myself to go with the 8AT. It just blows to have to pay for a $6500 useless package just so I can get a 6MT. #realworldproblems
Finally managed to snag one. Had to travel half the country to have it transfered, but I finally got exactly what I wanted. Not the same color combo i've initially picked, but at least that color was in top 3.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 1
Katin136.00