F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Best Tune for Stock N55
Extreme Powerhouse

06-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #1
FPJK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335 / E92 M3

Best Tune for Stock N55

I am finally getting around to adding some power to my daily. Don't really want to do anything huge at this point as I am taking delivery of another car here in a few weeks.

My main question for everyone is what does everyone think is a solid and reliable tune for a stock N55? I have been searching far and wide, I just figured I'd ask if anyone is currently running a tune on a stock N55 and what your experience and opinion is.

Thanks for all of the help!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

MHD or BM3. Just pick one.

Read through previous threads if you want to hear pros/cons of either platform.

Also, charge pipe is "required" for any tune on a otherwise stock car.
Appreciate 1
FPJK27.50
      06-05-2020, 02:00 PM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPJK View Post
I am finally getting around to adding some power to my daily. Don't really want to do anything huge at this point as I am taking delivery of another car here in a few weeks.

My main question for everyone is what does everyone think is a solid and reliable tune for a stock N55? I have been searching far and wide, I just figured I'd ask if anyone is currently running a tune on a stock N55 and what your experience and opinion is.

Unfortunately the Achilles heal for the N55 engine is a poorly designed chargepipe with a 90 degree bend that causes it to crack and break even with a stock tune. Adding even the mildest tune can break it. So you must upgrade the chargepipe first.

No one makes a higher quality, better fitting CP than Evolution Racewerks. Others can be cheaper but have mixed reviews due to quality control issues. You don't want an intake air leak. They are expensive to troubleshoot and repair. Below is a link to the CP.

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/coll...4030707?aff=22

BootMod3 Stage1 is the smoothest, most reliable tune. It feels like the factory put in a brand new engine. I installed it from my laptop sitting in the driver's seat in my driveway. It took me 20 minutes because I was going very slowly the first time. Stage1 is made to stay within the stock parameters of your car and maintain reliability. Oh, it also comes with a free automatic transmission tune that takes about two minutes to install.

BootMod3 Stage1 is a major performance increase that will put a big smile on your face. This tune has easily been the biggest bang for the buck. See link below.

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...8;_ss=r?aff=22
Appreciate 2
FPJK27.50
exE36M3487.50
      06-05-2020, 02:18 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Unfortunately the Achilles heal for the N55 engine is a poorly designed chargepipe with a 90 degree bend that causes it to crack and break even with a stock tune. Adding even the mildest tune can break it. So you must upgrade the chargepipe first.

No one makes a higher quality, better fitting CP than Evolution Racewerks. Others can be cheaper but have mixed reviews due to quality control issues. You don't want an intake air leak. They are expensive to troubleshoot and repair. Below is a link to the CP.

BootMod3 Stage1 is the smoothest, most reliable tune. It feels like the factory put in a brand new engine. I installed it from my laptop sitting in the driver's seat in my driveway. It took me 20 minutes because I was going very slowly the first time. Stage1 is made to stay within the stock parameters of your car and maintain reliability. Oh, it also comes with a free automatic transmission tune that takes about two minutes to install.

BootMod3 Stage1 is a major performance increase that will put a big smile on your face. This tune has easily been the biggest bang for the buck. See link below.

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...e&_ss=r?aff=22
Sorry, but i don't think it's fair to say that "BootMod3 Stage1 is the smoothest, most reliable tune." That's more opinion than fact. I am not going to start a tune debate here because they are plenty of threads about that, just saying that OP should research both BM3 and MHD, and for the sake of comparison can also look at the less common options like AA or turner, or even a piggyback like JB4.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:

Sorry, but i don't think it's fair to say that "BootMod3 Stage1 is the smoothest, most reliable tune." That's more opinion than fact. I am not going to start a tune debate here because they are plenty of threads about that, just saying that OP should research both BM3 and MHD, and for the sake of comparison can also look at the less common options like AA or turner, or even a piggyback like JB4.
It's obviously my opinion. These forums are mostly opinions. Rarely can a guy on a forum test every product under discussion. I think it's valid to assume that most people know that they are asking for and receiving opinions.
Appreciate 2
FPJK27.50
Der2z15.00
      06-05-2020, 02:30 PM   #6
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It's obviously my opinion. These forums are mostly opinions. Rarely can a guy on a forum test every product under discussion. I think it's valid to assume that most people know that they are asking for and receiving opinions.
Fair enough, just making sure OP has context
Appreciate 1
ronanz1821.00
      06-05-2020, 03:01 PM   #7
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: f32 n55

as mentioned above I would go with MHD or BM3 for Flash Tunes you really cant go wrong with either one. Unless your concerned about warranty I definitely would NOT go with the MPPK (M performance power kit), under-powered and overpriced.

I ran MHD stage 1 (stock map) for a while before going Stage 2+ with FBO's and Stage 1 was great, no problems what so ever except for filling up more often because after the tune I became addicted to always driving in sport (even on the stock charge pipe I ran it for about 5000 miles, the car had about 58K miles on it).
Appreciate 1
FPJK27.50
      06-05-2020, 05:42 PM   #8
FPJK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335 / E92 M3

Thanks for all of the input guys! I have done my research in terms of what is out there tune wise, just really was looking to see if anyone had been able to run anything without replacing the stock charge pipe (being incredibly lazy lol).

Will grab a charge pipe before I tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 12:03 AM   #9
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 and 435i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Thanks for all of the input guys! I have done my research in terms of what is out there tune wise, just really was looking to see if anyone had been able to run anything without replacing the stock charge pipe (being incredibly lazy lol).

Even on a stock N55, the stock charge-pipe has been known to go bad
      06-06-2020, 12:05 AM   #10
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...e&_ss=r?aff=22
Ehmmmm... I had to use a custom size o-ring to make my ER CP leak tight at the throttle. Also it was too long so the two tube ends were rubbing against each other inside the coupler (wonder how much alu dust my engine has consumed ), so we cut it up and now use a long silicone bend instead and relocated one of the bungs. Oh, it also rubbed on the steering column and the meth nozzles are placed so only one is easily accessible. Other than that great CP
      06-06-2020, 12:43 AM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Quote:

Ehmmmm... I had to use a custom size o-ring to make my ER CP leak tight at the throttle. Also it was too long so the two tube ends were rubbing against each other inside the coupler (wonder how much alu dust my engine has consumed ), so we cut it up and now use a long silicone bend instead and relocated one of the bungs. Oh, it also rubbed on the steering column and the meth nozzles are placed so only one is easily accessible. Other than that great CP
With all do respect I recall reading when you originally posted that. I was incredibly odd because no one else had posted even remotely like it.

Evolution Raceworks makes very precise products with precise quality control. The only way it could be that far off is if you tried to install a charge pipe for a different model like a manual transmission chargepipe on an automatic transmission car, or a RWD chargepipe on an xDrive car.

The o-ring sounded like another fiasco. They are directional o-rings. It sounded like you couldn't figure out that you were installing them backwards, so you got other o-rings and decided to jam them in.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 08:13 PM   #12
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
With all do respect I recall reading when you originally posted that. I was incredibly odd because no one else had posted even remotely like it.

Evolution Raceworks makes very precise products with precise quality control. The only way it could be that far off is if you tried to install a charge pipe for a different model like a manual transmission chargepipe on an automatic transmission car, or a RWD chargepipe on an xDrive car.

The o-ring sounded like another fiasco. They are directional o-rings. It sounded like you couldn't figure out that you were installing them backwards, so you got other o-rings and decided to jam them in.
I would wish ER had just sent me on to another supplier. They knew very well that my car is an M135i (which is not available on the US market) before sending me their CP and FMIC. The FMIC I bought also did not fit with the outlet pointing the CP directly into a structural member on the car... I have around 20 emails with ER trying to resolve this issue and they ended up sending me a revised IC. ER did a good job and eventually resolved my issue. Still cost me a ton of time and frustration and unfortunately I live in China so that did not help things.

This o-ring you say is directional? Hope you dont work as a mechanic
Attached Images

Last edited by harkes; 06-07-2020 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 04:14 AM   #13
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Quote:

I would wish ER had just sent me on to another supplier. They knew very well that my car is an M135i (which is not available on the US market) before sending me their CP and FMIC. The FMIC I bought also did not fit with the outlet pointing the CP directly into a structural member on the car... I have around 20 emails with ER trying to resolve this issue and they ended up sending me a revised IC. ER did a good job and eventually resolved my issue. Still cost me a ton of time and frustration and unfortunately I live in China so that did not help things.

This o-ring you say is directional? Hope you dont work as a mechanic
Sorry to hear about your plight. Reverse irony, instead of guys in US having issues with suppliers in China, gotta guy in China having an issue with a US manufacturer.

I was talking about the o-ring on the FMIC end which is directional. See diagram.

Be safe!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 11:28 AM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Best flash Bootmod3
Best piggyback Jb4

We offer both with 30 day money back guarantee

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
FPJK27.50
      06-09-2020, 07:38 AM   #15
R1d3r
Enlisted Member
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F30 335i EWG

Guys, may I use this topic to ask something?
I'm new with the tunning of bimmers and would like to know more before do anything.
Currently I have F30 2014 335i and considering to use bm3 stage2 93oct ots tune,
I have Masata hd competition IC, CP, GFB dv +, intlet pipe and downpipe waiting to be installed. I have read a lot of commets that some of you using stage 2 bm3 experiancing hpfp failure. What are you thinking guys, I dont want to maximize my car, so may be is more saver to go with Stage 1. What's your advise?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 10:55 AM   #16
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1d3r View Post
Guys, may I use this topic to ask something?
I'm new with the tunning of bimmers and would like to know more before do anything.
Currently I have F30 2014 335i and considering to use bm3 stage2 93oct ots tune,
I have Masata hd competition IC, CP, GFB dv +, intlet pipe and downpipe waiting to be installed. I have read a lot of commets that some of you using stage 2 bm3 experiancing hpfp failure. What are you thinking guys, I dont want to maximize my car, so may be is more saver to go with Stage 1. What's your advise?
Thanks
There are several factors at play, including the ambient temperatures (and therefore IATs) where you are located. If you have the hardware for stage 2 just try it and if you can't run it drop to stage 1. With pump gas you will probably be fine unless temperatures are very cold.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #17
alcuin
Rep
Drives: 435i

best tune is without any doubt... MPPK

not the best bang for the buck but a great one.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 03:06 PM   #18
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcuin View Post

not really.. unless you're still under warranty, not a lot of people would want to pay twice the price for 1/2 the performance of some of the others out there..
      06-10-2020, 11:15 AM   #19
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Best at what?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 3
harkes1084.00
      06-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #20
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

Quote:

I ran stage 1 93 octane from BM3 with stock charge pipe for quite a while. Zero issue. Other people will report that it pops without tuning, so ymmv.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 07:00 PM   #21
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:

LOL! That’s adorable...

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 1
harkes1084.00
      06-11-2020, 01:20 PM   #22
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
LOL! That’s adorable...

Doesn't MPPk come with the //M engine cover? That's gotta be good for at least 20hp.
Appreciate 1
mgc999115.00