F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BMW Music Media Adapter Y Cable on 2013 F30
proTUNING Freaks

10-15-2023, 02:49 PM   #1
ewan1500
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 M sport

BMW Music Media Adapter Y Cable on 2013 F30

I’ve been trying to use a OEM y-cable (dated may 2014) to stream music from my iphone 13 on my 2013 3 series / F30 which has only basic bluetooth and the ‘small’ display idrive (multimedia update version: ME-008.008.000).

When connecting in the armrest, I go onto the external device menu on the idrive and it says USB ‘not connected’. When testing the iphone 13, it charges but music plays out of the phone (rather than the car speakers).

I considered that it could be the age of the iphone which is stopping it from working - so I tried it with an older iphone 5 - this had the same outcome (although music was not coming out of the phone or the car speakers in this scenario).

I also considered the possibility that the usb module isn’t connected to the idrive. However, this doesn’t seem to be the case - I connected the iphone 13 with a normal iphone charger (8 pin lighting cable). In this scenario the external device menu on the idrive tries to connect to the device and eventually says ‘not supported’.

Could possibly be a faulty cable but I find this unlikely as it charges the phone - and the ebay listing from which I purchased it claimed it worked.

I’ve checked the BMW website and it says my software ME-008.008.000 is up to date on my VIN.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to get it working / diagnose what the problem is?

Going to try it on my mates F31 (also 2013) to rule out my car as the issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 05:00 PM   #2
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewan1500 View Post
I’ve been trying to use a OEM y-cable (dated may 2014) to stream music from my iphone 13 on my 2013 3 series / F30 which has only basic bluetooth and the ‘small’ display idrive (multimedia update version: ME-008.008.000).

When connecting in the armrest, I go onto the external device menu on the idrive and it says USB ‘not connected’. When testing the iphone 13, it charges but music plays out of the phone (rather than the car speakers).

I considered that it could be the age of the iphone which is stopping it from working - so I tried it with an older iphone 5 - this had the same outcome (although music was not coming out of the phone or the car speakers in this scenario).

I also considered the possibility that the usb module isn’t connected to the idrive. However, this doesn’t seem to be the case - I connected the iphone 13 with a normal iphone charger (8 pin lighting cable). In this scenario the external device menu on the idrive tries to connect to the device and eventually says ‘not supported’.

Could possibly be a faulty cable but I find this unlikely as it charges the phone - and the ebay listing from which I purchased it claimed it worked.

I’ve checked the BMW website and it says my software ME-008.008.000 is up to date on my VIN.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to get it working / diagnose what the problem is?

Going to try it on my mates F31 (also 2013) to rule out my car as the issue.

Likely your Head Unit's (HU) two USB are not enabled all the way (assuming both are connected in the rear of the HU). Using BimmerCode or other coding apps check what media and USB related codes are enabled.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1414327

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1573282

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1474066
      10-16-2023, 05:18 AM   #3
thatgarrett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [8.60]
Yeah if you have BT for phone calls and the USB, it’s all a software lock to keep them from functioning fully, the above links will sort you out and make it where you can use a regular USB cable from that socket and also have Bluetooth audio streaming. I even enabled the text messages on the screen for mine- it’s all coding. Many options out there, but BimmerCode is pretty user friendly if you’ve never done anything like that before and has “presets” to code on these functions easily- I did this on week 1 of getting my 2012 and was more than worth the small cost for the coding dongle and the app
Appreciate 0