F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 10 HU discussion
Studio RSR

12-21-2020, 08:50 PM   #2267
Mjam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E87, i3, Taycan Cross Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysiek280 View Post
I've connected the Android head unit to the BMW head unit. So I have Spotify opened on Android and sound is transmitted through BT (not AUX).
How can a wireless transmission over Bluetooth have better audio quality than wired AUX? Common knowledge is that this is not the case (read link). Unless there is something wrong with your AUX connection.
Appreciate 1
F20_M135i100.50
      12-22-2020, 12:13 AM   #2268
krzysiek280
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjam View Post
How can a wireless transmission over Bluetooth have better audio quality than wired AUX? Common knowledge is that this is not the case (read link). Unless there is something wrong with your AUX connection.
"The analog signal is piped directly through the cable and into your BMW with all its detail intact, guaranteeing decent audio quality. Not audiophile good -- there's a reason even entry-level hifi systems don't use AUX for anything except headphones -- but it's fine for casual listening.". AUX is analog, BT is digital. There is a compression, of course, there is a delay, but in my case quality is much better. Maybe there is some issue with these devices, I don't know. Many people complained about AUX audio quality in this thread. I had to unpin the AUX port, because before the sound was terrible. Now is acceptable, but still, I can hear some noise. Especially when the volume is very high and the music is turned off. With BT there is silence.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 01:29 AM   #2269
serge858
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70

Quote:
"The analog signal is piped directly through the cable and into your BMW with all its detail intact, guaranteeing decent audio quality. Not audiophile good -- there's a reason even entry-level hifi systems don't use AUX for anything except headphones -- but it's fine for casual listening.". AUX is analog, BT is digital. There is a compression, of course, there is a delay, but in my case quality is much better. Maybe there is some issue with these devices, I don't know. Many people complained about AUX audio quality in this thread. I had to unpin the AUX port, because before the sound was terrible. Now is acceptable, but still, I can hear some noise. Especially when the volume is very high and the music is turned off. With BT there is silence.
If you had "terrible" sound over AUX then your connection with Android HU was wrong or there's some issue with your OEM AUX.

I installed dozens of these devices, sound was crystal clear in all cases without any noise. Some ppl said sound became even better than oem which is too optimistic I believe.

Obviously AUX output cannot be better than oem digital, sound range and frequencies are better with the latter case, that's why ppl use USB DAC to obtain better sound from Android HU.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 01:38 AM   #2270
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 M140i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjam View Post
Have you tried the Sound Restorer? That should take care of this.
Thank you but this application seems to restore sound when there is none, I have too much, too much.

SOUND RESTORER seems to restore the sound by switching from BMW OEM to ANDROID HU, and me it's the opposite, it's when I go from ANDROID HU to BMW OEM that the volume explodes in my ears and the sound quality becomes rotten (With GPS sound)

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 01:52 AM   #2271
krzysiek280
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge858 View Post
If you had "terrible" sound over AUX then your connection with Android HU was wrong or there's some issue with your OEM AUX.

I installed dozens of these devices, sound was crystal clear in all cases without any noise. Some ppl said sound became even better than oem which is too optimistic I believe.

Obviously AUX output cannot be better than oem digital, sound range and frequencies are better with the latter case, that's why ppl use USB DAC to obtain better sound from Android HU.
I have an Andream HU with an external box. There is no extra cable to the AUX port. At the beginning, the sound was like from under the water. I've read here that in my case I should unpin the AUX port. And this did the trick. But still, there is this extra noise. What can I check else?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 02:16 AM   #2272
serge858
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have an Andream HU with an external box. There is no extra cable to the AUX port. At the beginning, the sound was like from under the water. I've read here that in my case I should unpin the AUX port. And this did the trick. But still, there is this extra noise. What can I check else?
Haven't seen Android HU with external box for ages) Or you are talking about USB-AUX small box for Evo?

If your OEM system is NBT normally sound doesn't require any AUX extension cable, you have sound right away.

I had extra actions with AUX usually with CIC and CCC systems depending on OEM multimedia options.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 02:50 AM   #2273
krzysiek280
Rep

Quote:
Haven't seen Android HU with external box for ages) Or you are talking about USB-AUX small box for Evo?

If your OEM system is NBT normally sound doesn't require any AUX extension cable, you have sound right away.

I had extra actions with AUX usually with CIC and CCC systems depending on OEM multimedia options.
I mean this box:

I bought it one year ago. My OEM system is NBT.

EDIT:
And here is a movie with this magic AUX noise:

Last edited by krzysiek280; 12-22-2020 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #2274
airshaq20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M, E60

Whoa!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1080P-HD-12...57fa%7Ciid%3A1
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #2275
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by sordido View Post
Hello everyone and sorry for my english. I wanted to ask (I hope someone can answer me) how to modify the car represented on the screen. I have an F31 and not this one (which I think is an X3). And then, another question: what does that square at the top (red arrow) represent? Thanks!
This button`s function is to Disable the display (make it dark), thats all

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundan View Post
Does anyone know how to add additional languages? If someone could provide me with the strings I would be happy to do all the mapping (to Swedish)

Unfortunately Swedish is no supported Language of the orignal KSW Software.
What you can do is to edit the build your own Translation with editing english Strings with KswOverlay.

For KswOverlay you will find the guides at the Theming Thread.

I Uploaded you the full strings file here, so you can just copy it into the "values" folder of your KswOverlay then:

kswplauncher_strings_258.zip

The File can also be used for older OTA versions then 2.5.8.

Kri
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 03:54 AM   #2276
chunbrian16
Rep
Drives: F32, G20, F87

Bluetooth "Not activated" after update

Hi all, I have recently updated my head unit to android 10, using the v1.2.0 then v2.5.8 ota file. However, I had no luck in connecting my phone via bluetooth. It shows "Not activated" at the top right corner of the bluetooth page. I tried downgrading it to v2.3.6, but still, "Not activated" shows up and I cannot connect with my phone.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

My MCU version is: 105242dLS-NBT-GTH-200103-B18

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 07:08 AM   #2277
weeguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 420d m sport x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunbrian16 View Post
Hi all, I have recently updated my head unit to android 10, using the v1.2.0 then v2.5.8 ota file. However, I had no luck in connecting my phone via bluetooth. It shows "Not activated" at the top right corner of the bluetooth page. I tried downgrading it to v2.3.6, but still, "Not activated" shows up and I cannot connect with my phone.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

My MCU version is: 105242dLS-NBT-GTH-200103-B18

Thank you in advance.

I something similar with the bluetooth settings.

Once i connected the hu via wifi to my phone, it downloaded some updates and started working. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 08:20 AM   #2278
Idob222
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i Convertible

Regarding USB DAC set up,
Have you guys connected the DAC to the usb output of the HU? Did you use a USB extender for it to reach to the glove box or next to the armrest so the DAC can be place next to the AUX port?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 08:29 AM   #2279
chunbrian16
Rep
Drives: F32, G20, F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeguy View Post
I something similar with the bluetooth settings.

Once i connected the hu via wifi to my phone, it downloaded some updates and started working. Good luck
Thanks for your advice, it works now.

But for some reason the zlink app keeps connecting.... and I could never got into carplay. Did you have the same problem?

Can anyone help?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 09:29 AM   #2280
weeguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 420d m sport x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunbrian16 View Post
Thanks for your advice, it works now.

But for some reason the zlink app keeps connecting.... and I could never got into carplay. Did you have the same problem?

Can anyone help?
I have the opposite, zlink does not auto start and sometimes doesnt start at all
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 12:17 AM   #2281
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 M140i Xdrive

i believe in settings FACTORY you have a check option called ZLINK
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 01:10 AM   #2282
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

Just got my Navifly 12.4" pop up screen for F10. Would like to ask where to connect the front camera? I currently using aftermarket front and back camera with a third party box. Currently when the car is put into reverse, rear camera will activate with PDC info on the right hand side. When put into N or D, the camera will switch to front for 10s.

I would eliminate the box and connect the reverse and front camera directly to android box. Please advice for front camera, which connector should I use? The only one that logically make sense would be video 1 in. DVR video should be connected to DVR camera. Also, will it auto switch to front camera after I changed gear from R to D? Or I need to press certain button/icon to activate front camera?
Attached Images

Last edited by pierreye; 12-24-2020 at 01:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 04:24 AM   #2283
serge858
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreye View Post
Just got my Navifly 12.4" pop up screen for F10. Would like to ask where to connect the front camera? I currently using aftermarket front and back camera with a third party box. Currently when the car is put into reverse, rear camera will activate with PDC info on the right hand side. When put into N or D, the camera will switch to front for 10s.

I would eliminate the box and connect the reverse and front camera directly to android box. Please advice for front camera, which connector should I use? The only one that logically make sense would be video 1 in. DVR video should be connected to DVR camera. Also, will it auto switch to front camera after I changed gear from R to D? Or I need to press certain button/icon to activate front camera?
AFAIK you need to connect your front cam to Video 1 In and power to +12V Rear Camera. Then you need to activate F_cam In Factory Settings - tick the box there, the app for the Front camera will appear in Apps.
It should switch automatically when change R to D. It supposed to work with CVBS cams, not sure about AHD cams.

Also one user reported that after firmware upgrade he lost the F-Cam functionality, so perhaps it works not on all FW versions.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 04:54 AM   #2284
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

Quote:
AFAIK you need to connect your front cam to Video 1 In and power to +12V Rear Camera. Then you need to activate F_cam In Factory Settings - tick the box there, the app for the Front camera will appear in Apps.
It should switch automatically when change R to D. It supposed to work with CVBS cams, not sure about AHD cams.

Also one user reported that after firmware upgrade he lost the F-Cam functionality, so perhaps it works not on all FW versions.
Thanks for the info. My cameras should be CVBS. I almost wanted to swap out the camera for AHD and looks like it might be an issue with front camera.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 08:35 AM   #2285
lundan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sordido View Post
Hello everyone and sorry for my english. I wanted to ask (I hope someone can answer me) how to modify the car represented on the screen. I have an F31 and not this one (which I think is an X3). And then, another question: what does that square at the top (red arrow) represent? Thanks!
This button`s function is to Disable the display (make it dark), thats all

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundan View Post
Does anyone know how to add additional languages? If someone could provide me with the strings I would be happy to do all the mapping (to Swedish)

Unfortunately Swedish is no supported Language of the orignal KSW Software.
What you can do is to edit the build your own Translation with editing english Strings with KswOverlay.

For KswOverlay you will find the guides at the Theming Thread.

I Uploaded you the full strings file here, so you can just copy it into the "values" folder of your KswOverlay then:

Attachment 2488664

The File can also be used for older OTA versions then 2.5.8.

Kri
Thanks a lot for this!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #2286
park
Registered
Rep
Drives: f10 528i

Why is the first boot screen like this?
It occurs randomly and is the same even though the MCU was updated as suggested by the seller.
The APP is also updated to 2.5.8

https://youtu.be/mQZp__VzGl0
Attached Images

Last edited by park; 12-24-2020 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 10:29 AM   #2287
serge858
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by park View Post
Why is the first boot screen like this?
It occurs randomly and is the same even though the MCU was updated as suggested by the seller.
The APP is also updated to 2.5.8
If the issue persists after the SW has been upgraded then it is highly likely the hardware issue, perhaps some screen micro-controller is out of order. Maybe it would be reasonable to return that defective HU and purchase another one.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 10:37 AM   #2288
serge858
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreye View Post
Thanks for the info. My cameras should be CVBS. I almost wanted to swap out the camera for AHD and looks like it might be an issue with front camera.
I didn't like the image quality of CVBS camera on HD screen (it was blurry), though it was just fine on my previous SD screen, also some annoying camera delay appeared. So then I swapped it to AHD camera which solved both issues.
Appreciate 0