F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > This exhaust drone is painful - 328 de-cat, mid remove, 335i box
GetBMWParts

09-15-2021, 12:28 PM   #1
Bates
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

Unhappy This exhaust drone is painful - 328 de-cat, mid remove, 335i box

Hi guys and girls,

I recentely purchased a 2012 328i M Sport. Before we get started, I'm coming from a fully loaded range rover sport HSE and I'm aware that the BMW is not going to tick all of my boxes since the plan is/was for me to save some money in the purchase. So my BM doesn't have cameras, electric seats and the sound system is pretty shit ngl. It's also not a performance car but it is stage 1 so enough for me to have fun yet maintain a family car.

I'm more upset with the damn exhaust. So on the test drive I was made aware that it's had a de-cat, mid silencer removed and a stock 135i pe exhaust. I have to admit that during the test drive I perhaps didn't take enough note of the sound as I'm now getting pretty sick of it

It pops (cool) but it sounds like it's popping in an empty hollow can which has been thrown down a REALLY LONG empty hollow walkway. Also, the resonating is just causing my brain cells to jump out of the window

Now, I personally have no issue with a de-cat but I don't want to spend £400 on a sports cat and I understand that the de-cat is actually producing the better sports sound. So my question is and please jump in...

Would adding the mid resonator entertain me yet fix this issue I'm facing? There must be people on here who have the same or similar setup or could please help?!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 10:42 AM   #2
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

Sounds like someone has a tune put on it for an occasional pop or not. Stock tune you'll get an occasional pop here and there but that's it. You bought a sports inspired sedan, not a comfort machine. To limit those pops, it would be putting in a high flow resonator.

I have the same setup (had it previously) and if you had the stage 1 tune with bootmod3, you can turn OFF all pops if you choose to, even the stock occasional one. You'll also make a little more power.
IG + YT: Sqwin_n20
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 12:50 PM   #3
drapzzy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwinny View Post
Sounds like someone has a tune put on it for an occasional pop or not. Stock tune you'll get an occasional pop here and there but that's it. You bought a sports inspired sedan, not a comfort machine. To limit those pops, it would be putting in a high flow resonator.

I have the same setup (had it previously) and if you had the stage 1 tune with bootmod3, you can turn OFF all pops if you choose to, even the stock occasional one. You'll also make a little more power.
This might of been the funniest thread I read
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 04:58 PM   #4
Bates
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

I got a resonator fitted and my god it's so much better now. No more droning 328i…
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 11:41 AM   #5
drapzzy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates View Post
I got a resonator fitted and my god it's so much better now. No more droning 328i…
it seems that from what i heard the resonators are the best bet to keep on even if you have a decat and muffler delete its still very controllable and dosent make you lose brain cells
Appreciate 0