F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Extra boost from tune causes vibrations at low rpm?
Studio RSR

06-16-2020, 07:58 PM   #1
BoyOhBoyyy
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Extra boost from tune causes vibrations at low rpm?

Want to make sure I'm not the only one who notices a vibration in the acceleration pedal and overall car within the 1-2k rpm range and only at low speeds. I've read that this is common with extra boost? I'm currently on BM3 Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 08:40 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Never heard of it, and you are probably not building any boost at 1-2k rpm unless you literally floor it from idle in 1st gear, or lock it in a higher gear and floor it from 1k rpm. You can check a datalog to confirm.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 04:48 AM   #3
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs
      06-17-2020, 11:04 AM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs logs
I know right? There should be a popup notification whenever asking a question that prompts you to upload/link a log, lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 09:13 PM   #5
BOOSTEDMIKE
Private
Panama
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5, 2011 E93 M3 ESS

I had this problem FBO Stage 2 BM3. Stuttering and vibration 1-3k rpm. Turned out to be bad plugs and coils. Also a broken turbo inlet pipe.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 11:49 PM   #6
BoyOhBoyyy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
I know right? There should be a popup notification whenever asking a question that prompts you to upload/link a log, lol.
Oops, let me learn how to log correctly and I will get one uploaded sometime!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 11:54 PM   #7
BoyOhBoyyy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUXSHO View Post
I had this problem FBO Stage 2 BM3. Stuttering and vibration 1-3k rpm. Turned out to be bad plugs and coils. Also a broken turbo inlet pipe.
Appreciate the response! I do notice shaking during cold start but very subtly and only for first 4-5 seconds. No codes or anything. I'm at 42k on OEM plugs never changed so maybe that's why and OEM coils. Any way I can visually check the inlet from opening the hood and without having to remove the turbo inlet?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 12:01 AM   #8
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyOhBoyyy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not exactly sure how you start/stop in BM3, but they recently added an auto logging feature which is handy. if you're an auto transmission log in 4th gear, manual in 3rd. put car in sport+ and then hold your DSC button down for 5 seconds until you get the message on your iDrive. hold car at 2,500 for a couple seconds then throttle to 100% and hold until 6,500rpm or as close as you can get safely. also, maybe check your oil level too? I try to check mine before I plan on redlining the car a few times.
      06-18-2020, 12:12 AM   #9
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate the response! I do notice shaking during cold start but very subtly and only for first 4-5 seconds. No codes or anything. I'm at 42k on OEM plugs never changed so maybe that's why and OEM coils. Any way I can visually check the inlet from opening the hood and without having to remove the turbo inlet?
Grab a set of new OEM plugs and put them it. I just did mine last weekend at 45k miles (which were the original, unchanged set). Everything is documented in this thread if you need more info.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1709198

I would not put new coils on unless it turns out you have a specific problem with one.

There is not really an easy way to check the inlet unfortunately. Maybe if you pull the belly pan off and use your camera to try and take pictures. Maybe a reason to get an upgraded one
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 12:45 AM   #10
BoyOhBoyyy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not exactly sure how you start/stop in BM3, but they recently added an auto logging feature which is handy. if you're an auto transmission log in 4th gear, manual in 3rd. put car in sport+ and then hold your DSC button down for 5 seconds until you get the message on your iDrive. hold car at 2,500 for a couple seconds then throttle to 100% and hold until 6,500rpm or as close as you can get safely. also, maybe check your oil level too? I try to check mine before I plan on redlining the car a few times.
Thanks Joe! Let me give this a shot tomorrow or Friday. Always saw YouTube vids of people literally clicking log and then trying to stop the log in the middle of driving so definitely going to look into auto logging. Never had this problem with MHD so I have a feeling it has to do with the plugs since the first sign is the slight shaking at idle
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 12:48 AM   #11
BoyOhBoyyy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Grab a set of new OEM plugs and put them it. I just did mine last weekend at 45k miles (which were the original, unchanged set). Everything is documented in this thread if you need more info.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1709198

I would not put new coils on unless it turns out you have a specific problem with one.

There is not really an easy way to check the inlet unfortunately. Maybe if you pull the belly pan off and use your camera to try and take pictures. Maybe a reason to get an upgraded one
Hahah really doubt it would be the turbo inlet but I could be wrong! Let me start first with the plugs and I'll report back when I do get a chance. Next step after would be putting the car on a lift and checking the inlet!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 01:00 AM   #12
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Joe! Let me give this a shot tomorrow or Friday. Always saw YouTube vids of people literally clicking log and then trying to stop the log in the middle of driving so definitely going to look into auto logging. Never had this problem with MHD so I have a feeling it has to do with the plugs since the first sign is the slight shaking at idle
just to clarify, you have bm3 or mhd? you original post said bm3 stage 2. if you have MHD, just click "MON." on the bottom of screen, check the box to enable auto logging and the top box, forget exactly what it says rn..