F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dealership won't install getbmwparts.com or eBay parts!
Studio RSR

04-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #1
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Dealership won't install getbmwparts.com or eBay parts!

I spoke with my SA today and told him I'm getting an exhaust from getbmwparts.com and would like them to install it, told him that it's from an authorized BMW dealer selling it online and he said, "we won't install any parts that aren't purchased through us", it just sounds ridiculous, they sell it for $1350 and I can get it for $1050 from getbmparts and only $850 from a BMW dealer selling it on eBay.
The indy shop in my area said they'd install it for $100. So should I go ahead with the indy shop install? Will the exhaust lead to any car malfunction that will void my warranty? I'm not worried about the warranty of the exhaust itself. My car still has 3 years of warranty left
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
I spoke with my SA today and told him I'm getting an exhaust from getbmwparts.com and would like them to install it, told him that it's from an authorized BMW dealer selling it online and he said, "we won't install any parts that aren't purchased through us", it just sounds ridiculous, they sell it for $1350 and I can get it for $1050 from getbmparts and only $850 from a BMW dealer selling it on eBay.
The indy shop in my area said they'd install it for $100. So should I go ahead with the indy shop install? Will the exhaust lead to any car malfunction that will void my warranty? I'm not worried about the warranty of the exhaust itself. My car still has 3 years of warranty left

You’re fine....take it to the Indy 100%

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 4
      04-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

I wouldn't even consider wasting the money on taking it to the dealership...it's just a simple muffler install for an indy, cut off the old one and clamp new on (+valve replug)
Appreciate 2
      04-11-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

I did the install and just had to purchase a exhaust cutter tool or you can rent one!!

Cost was like $60 or something like that and its really not difficult to do at all!!
      04-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #5
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
You’re fine....take it to the Indy 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlev View Post
I wouldn't even consider wasting the money on taking it to the dealership...it's just a simple muffler install for an indy, cut off the old one and clamp new on (+valve replug)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
I did the install and just had to purchase a exhaust cutter tool or you can rent one!!

Cost was like $60 or something like that and its really not difficult to do at all!!
I just ordered it from a BMW dealer on eBay for $850, will get it installed from an indy shop for $75-$100

I was just worried about the car warranty, I asked the SA about it, he said it might void my car warranty if it leads to any car malfunction but the worst that could go wrong is the exhaust itself will break so that should not void the warranty
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #6
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

It's really not surprising that the dealership won't install another parties parts, even if they are Genuine BMW. It's a financial and warranty thing. Most dealers will price match.

As for an exhaust install, my God, do it yourself. It's crazy easy.

An OEM exhaust won't void your warranty at all, BUT it will not be covered by your factory warranty. It will only be covered by the 1 year parts warranty from BMW.
      04-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #7
Cherry2.0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

I understand why the dealership won't because they can't confirm whether or not the part is genuine or even in satisfactory condition.

If you brought your own steak to a steakhouse, would you expect the chef to cook it for you?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

Quote:
Link for ebay part?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 04:49 PM   #9
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHerder View Post
Link for ebay part?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282243344552
It's BMW of Chattanooga in Tennessee. I spoke with a guy named Mathew and he explained to me why they are selling it cheap, they get to buy from BMW NA at a lower cost if they fulfill a certain quota of selling the item which has been working for them through eBay, even said if there's any defect down the road I can return it to them.

UPDATE: Chattanooga canceled my order when I requested them to check for any damage before shipping after I saw a review stating his exhaust seemed old with dings and lots of scratches. They said I expect too much and it gets damaged during shipping Ended up buying it through Bryan Keller from Sun Motors BMW PA for $900 shipped (bkeller@sunmotorcars.com), exhaust arrived today and it's perfect, no scratches or anything.

Last edited by thatBimmerBloke; 04-17-2019 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 2
harkes1078.00
      04-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #10
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's BMW of Chattanooga in Tennessee. I spoke with a guy named Mathew and he explained to me why they are selling it cheap, they get to buy from BMW NA at a lower cost if they fulfill a certain quota of selling the item which has been working for them through eBay, even said if there's any defect down the road I can return it to them.
Thanks!

But damn those carbon fiber tips are expensive... whew. Almost $600 for the pair.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #11
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
It's really not surprising that the dealership won't install another parties parts, even if they are Genuine BMW. It's a financial and warranty thing. Most dealers will price match.

As for an exhaust install, my God, do it yourself. It's crazy easy.

An OEM exhaust won't void your warranty at all, BUT it will not be covered by your factory warranty. It will only be covered by the 1 year parts warranty from BMW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry2.0 View Post
I understand why the dealership won't because they can't confirm whether or not the part is genuine or even in satisfactory condition.

If you brought your own steak to a steakhouse, would you expect the chef to cook it for you?

I get that now, I overreacted a bit, I was thinking more like first they will sell it at MSRP when I Can buy it so much cheaper online and secondly they will charge me for a couple of hours when I'm sure they can do it in 30 minutes

Quote:
Thanks!

But damn those carbon fiber tips are expensive... whew. Almost $600 for the pair.
I'll most probably just use my stock black tips. I don't like the protruding chrome bit of the CF tips, would've been better if that part was also black. Also paying $600 for it just doesn't feel right.

Last edited by thatBimmerBloke; 04-11-2019 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Missed info
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #12
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So, follow up question for anyone that can answer... is the M exhaust just the small rear axle back muffler, or do you need the mid pipe as well? And is it mostly sound, or is there performance gain to be had? On my old CTS, I did a full Borla cat-back.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #13
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So, follow up question for anyone that can answer... is the M exhaust just the small rear axle back muffler, or do you need the mid pipe as well? And is it mostly sound, or is there performance gain to be had? On my old CTS, I did a full Borla cat-back.
Yes, you don't need the mid pipe, there is a small ding/dimple in your stock pipe where it needs to be cut to attach MPE using the provided clamp. Also no performance gain, just the sound.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #14
learntocode
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

OP how did the install go and share pics!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 05:33 PM   #15
learntocode
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I bring my own tea to a restaurant and they don't mind brewing it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #16
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:

Many shops allow you to bring your own parts. Apparently this one does not. But an axleback exhaust is one you can diy
      04-11-2019, 05:59 PM   #17
Cherry2.0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
Quote:

Many shops allow you to bring your own parts. Apparently this one does not. But an axleback exhaust is one you can diy
Yes, it is easy to DIY and yes some other shops might do the work as the OP indicated. I was giving a reason why some shops won't do the work. Also, even though it is easy to install, some people don't have a place to do the work such as apartment complexes. Some complexes do not allow for any vehicle maintenance. Heck, some HOAs won't allow it unless the vehicle is completely in the garage and the garage door is closed. Hopefully the OP got it installed and are happy with the result.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #18
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by learntocode View Post
I bring my own tea to a restaurant and they don't mind brewing it.
Paying someone to do a service is different than bringing your own food in to a restaurant and expecting them to cook it for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #19
dougt.ah3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AH3 Msport; F150 XLT

My local BMW dealership will install genuine BMW parts purchased elsewhere and use any compatible fluid provided. However, they will not price match nor install any aftermarket parts as they are concerned with proper fitment and do not want to go down that rabbit hole.
2022 K1600B
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 12:21 AM   #20
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks!

FYI, I can recommend the CF replica tips from Aliexpress, mine have held up very well and look great paired with my MPE. I could not justify the OEM price of those tips.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2019, 09:28 AM   #21
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by learntocode View Post
OP how did the install go and share pics!
It is getting shipped to me today, will probably get it installed next week, will post pictures but I don't think it will look any different, I'll try to use my black OEM tips On a side note are you learning to code as in for development or just the BMW coding for options? Just curious, I'm a software engineer

Quote:
Yes, it is easy to DIY and yes some other shops might do the work as the OP indicated. I was giving a reason why some shops won't do the work. Also, even though it is easy to install, some people don't have a place to do the work such as apartment complexes. Some complexes do not allow for any vehicle maintenance. Heck, some HOAs won't allow it unless the vehicle is completely in the garage and the garage door is closed. Hopefully the OP got it installed and are happy with the result.
I share my garage with someone living in the building, it's small and barely any light in there, plus I've got no tools like a jack & jack stand otherwise it is a simple DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt.ah3 View Post
My local BMW dealership will install genuine BMW parts purchased elsewhere and use any compatible fluid provided. However, they will not price match nor install any aftermarket parts as they are concerned with proper fitment and do not want to go down that rabbit hole.
They like to have it all, overcharge you for parts and then charge you extra time for labor also. They first quoted me $750 for MPPK install, the SA ordered it for me when I was just asking about it and never told him to order it for me, I told him I will not be installing it for now as it's winter and now I'm thinking if 35hp is worth $1800($1400 + $400), leaning towards not getting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlev View Post
FYI, I can recommend the CF replica tips from Aliexpress, mine have held up very well and look great paired with my MPE. I could not justify the OEM price of those tips.
Link please? There are so many sellers and options, we never know which one is selling the good stuff. Got a bad fitting CF mirror cap replacement last time, was able to send it back and get a full refund.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #22
learntocode
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Like others have said, if your local dealership won't perform the install, find a good independent muffler shop that could install the MPE. If confident, this could be done in your own garage/space. Plenty of DIY guides and videos out there. Either way, you really got a great deal for brand new MPE for $850 shipped. Oh yeah, I didn't study CS or anything of that sort, just doing my own coding for options because I didn't think worth paying an application coding via smartphone/bluetooth & adapter.
Appreciate 0